Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door hinge replace and fit

Options
  • 01-05-2019 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, Can anyone give me the name of the attached hinge? There are three in total on my front door which is I think wood/upvc or maybe early composite. The top one has snapped and needs to be replaced. Anyone have any idea where I could buy one? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I have been threw the mill recently trying to find a replacement hinge and and even had window repair companies out but no avail think they were just not intrested in the hassel.

Long story short I had to take a punt on a replacement one online... which thankfully worked out in the end...

Fyi looks more like pvc than composite.

The baste Conqueror 2D in the link below looks like a match for you but measure it up and compare to the dimensions given online.

https://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc-door-spares-replacement-parts/upvc-door-hinges/upvc-door-flag-hinges/basta-sd-conqueror-flag-door-hinge-white-brown.html

I ordered from the above crowd, came from the uk...couldnt fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭crustybread

Doop wrote: »
    I have been threw the mill recently trying to find a replacement hinge and and even had window repair companies out but no avail think they were just not intrested in the hassel.

Long story short I had to take a punt on a replacement one online... which thankfully worked out in the end...

Fyi looks more like pvc than composite.

The baste Conqueror 2D in the link below looks like a match for you but measure it up and compare to the dimensions given online.

https://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc-door-spares-replacement-parts/upvc-door-hinges/upvc-door-flag-hinges/basta-sd-conqueror-flag-door-hinge-white-brown.html

I ordered from the above crowd, came from the uk...couldnt fault them.

Was it difficult to fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Was it difficult to fit?

Depends how handy you are I guess, Mine was a different door hinge and I did have some difficulty but got there in the end, I found it very hard to expose the fixings (screws) underneath the cover plate. Have a look at what you have currently can you clip off the covers so you can see all the screws? If so you should be able to unscrew the old hinge handy enough. If you can unscrew it you can certainly screw on the new one.

The hinge can be adjusted afterwards with an alllen key.

For €40 odd euro I would say its worth a shot.... you wont get someone out to look at it for less than €80.

Doop wrote: »
    Depends how handy you are I guess, Mine was a different door hinge and I did have some difficulty but got there in the end, I found it very hard to expose the fixings (screws) underneath the cover plate. Have a look at what you have currently can you clip off the covers so you can see all the screws? If so you should be able to unscrew the old hinge handy enough. If you can unscrew it you can certainly screw on the new one.

The hinge can be adjusted afterwards with an alllen key.

For €40 odd euro I would say its worth a shot.... you wont get someone out to look at it for less than €80.

Yep thinking the same myself. That supplier has youtube videos on how to do it. Sure I'll give it a try. thanks for the responses.

Just in case anyone has a similar problem I ended up getting a replacement hinge from Grady Joinery https://www.gradyjoinery.com/ in mayo. Delivered to the door and perfect fit. Could not have been more helpful. Fitted myself and door all sorted now. Would highly recommend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement