Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer ownership of shotgun

Options
  • 01-05-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,634 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't find any specific information on this, so decided to ask here.

My father died a couple of years ago, and as his shotgun licence is due to expire, my mother wants to transfer ownership of the gun to her.

I could not find a specific transfer of ownership form, so am I correct in guessing that she simply applies for a firearm certificate using the usual form (this one, I believe) and explains in section 3.3 that she has acquired the gun from her late husband. Or is there some other process for people in this situation?

She is also considering simply getting me to do the whole thing instead, and to transfer the gun over to me (now rather than later). Would I be following the same process I've mentioned above?

Also, I lived outside the country for more than a decade, and I didn't see anywhere on that form a requirement for me to get a police check (or whatever it's called) from that country saying I never committed any crime there and so on. Would I not need to do that, or is that part of the process?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. Your mother will need a good reason for having the shotgun if she wants to license it. The most common reasons would be game shooting, vermin shooting or clay pigeon shooting. She will need to have her own land or permission from a landowner to shoot.

On the matter of section 3.3 the gun should be handed into a registered firearms dealer immediately. The gardaí will be displeased that it is still in your mother's possession years after your father's passing.

Use the pulse dealer ID as the source of the firearm in section 3.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have done this with my own Fathers firearm. Section 3.3 b on the application form details source of firearm and a foot note of that section reads - '(Provide brief details as to how you acquired firearm e.g. gift/ inheritance etc.)' I put inheritance down as the source.
    In my case the whole lot was done with in a week of my father passing. From your post it is NOT clear weather or not the gun is in actual legal storage but we will assume it is. Leave the gun with the RFD and complete a FAC in your name including the relevant supporting paper work.
    The RFD can issue you a receipt as to its storage, you can complete a FCA2 in respect to the cancellation of your fathers licence, add a cover notice as to the circumstances and give it in to the Garda with your application. In my case the Garda were aware of my fathers passing and canceled the licence for me.

Once you satisfy all sections of the FAC you'll have no issues with applying for the gun. There are plenty of forgein nationals living here as residents who hold firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Check your messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,634 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks to both of you for the info and advice.

Advertisement