Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The N11 and the curious curve towards Enniscorthyt y

• 01-05-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

Wondering the history of this. Theres a much straighter road towards wexford through curracloe etc. Why did the roads authority send people 2 sides of a triangle back in the day.

Same as old N6 dipping south to loughrea. What was the logic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wondering the history of this. Theres a much straighter road towards wexford through curracloe etc. Why did the roads authority send people 2 sides of a triangle back in the day.

Same as old N6 dipping south to loughrea. What was the logic

so the road would serve Enniscorthy I guess. The original coach roads went from town to town, the modern N roads still mostly follow those routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You also had the N78(N30) and N80 connecting to Enniscorthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Enniscorthy was the long term way the majority of traffic went, was the indicated route even in a 30s atlas I had

Loughrea was a state decision to re-sign the roads when changing numbering system The derelict 60s petrol stations on the old road via Athenry show the change in traffic that caused

the main Wexford road used to go through Rathdrum back in the days of T roads. I think it was diverted further east when it became the N11. There's a thread somewhere on this forum about the history of the main routes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

loyatemu wrote: »
    the main Wexford road used to go through Rathdrum back in the days of T roads. I think it was diverted further east when it became the N11. There's a thread somewhere on this forum about the history of the main routes.

Yes, indeed it did. The N11 used to be the T7 until the roads were redesignated in the 1970s. Just why it curved inland to run along the Vale of Avoca has always been a mystery to me - perhaps it is because the Dublin To Wexford rail line runs that way too?

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes, indeed it did. The N11 used to be the T7 until the roads were redesignated in the 1970s. Just why it curved inland to run along the Vale of Avoca has always been a mystery to me - perhaps it is because the Dublin To Wexford rail line runs that way too?

again, legacy of the coach routes (which predate the railways) I'd say.
    Probably went Bray - Wicklow - Rathdrum - Arklow

Advertisement