Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster monopoly

Options
  • 01-05-2019 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Can anyone explain to me that how under EU competition rules that Ticketmaster basically have a monopoly on ticket required events in Ireland ?

Seatwave (which they owned) is dead.

So Ticketmaster can set any price they want. So we are now back to spending 150 quid on a ticket for the fecking 3 arena.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are other providers, hence there isn't a monopoly. Ticketmasters fees are lower than in other countries due to there being fairly solid competition - both multinational and national. I'd probably get more event tickets off Eventbrite these days. In Ireland there's tickets.ie who have quite a decent spread; the UK has Skiddle who are quite big and so on. Venues may decide to go with Ticketmaster for infrastructural reasons, but they have a choice.

The bulk of the ticket price is set by the venue, Ticketmasters fees are shown fairly clearly and while they are very high; its the venue and/or artist that's the cause of 150 quid tickets.

Seatwave was just a reseller, not an actual ticketing agent

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

€6.95 PER TICKET for booking fee is a bit much though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    €6.95 PER TICKET for booking fee is a bit much though

I don't think the booking fee is revealed, thats the one they say in the ads "includes booking fee", this is always included and is a blatant scam to trick non-regular gig goers into thinking this is the full price they will pay. So people might commit to friends that they will go to a gig, and at checkout they will just pay the extras so as not to be the one to pull out. I have never heard of of the booking fee not been included so in my mind this is the only reason to do it.

The service charge is what you are talking about, and it has now increased to a max of €7.15 since the VAT change this year, otherwise it is 12.5% on cheaper tickets. 3arena and the olympia might lash on another €1 too.

I was in the sugar club recently, I paid €45.64 for 2 tickets including all fees (tickets were listed as €20 each).

This is what the same on ticketmaster was
    2 Full Price Ticket
    €23.00 x 2
    €46.00
    Fees
    €2.90 (Service Charge) x 2
    €5.80
    Subtotal
    €51.80

Whelans can be similar, you buy via the whelans site for much less, same iwth tickets.ie and a few others popping up now.

So ticketmaster are not simply charging 12.5% the price of the ticket is more in the first place.

To get around seatwave issues they allow fans to sell tickets at face value or below, but "face value" includes the original service charge. They then lash on 2 extra charges.
    rubadub wrote: »
    they include the original 7.15 per ticket service charge in the sellers price, and then lash on another outrageous service charge, and a handling fee for good luck.

SECTION
    BLOCKB
    ROW
    SEATS
    46 - 48
    Your seats will be together.
    Restrictions
    All prices listed exclude fees and charges. Under 16s to be accompanied by parent/guardian. Standing strictly over 14s only.
    Resale Tickets
    €76.90 each

Cost Breakdown
    Tickets 2
    €153.80
    Service Charge (inc VAT)
    €23.06
    Handling Fee
    €2.50
    Total to Pay
    €179.36

similar seats at the same gig

SEC
    BLOCKB
    ROW
    SEAT
    47-48

Tame Impala
    Order Details

Cancel Order
    2 Full Price Ticket
    €69.75 x 2
    U16s Must Be Acc'd, By A Parent/guardian, Tiered Seating, Block B
    €139.50
    Fees
    €7.15 (Service Charge) x 2
    €14.30
    Subtotal
    €153.80

so 12.78 extra per ticket.

I saw this first on the stevie wonder gig, the extra service charge was about 45euro or so for the 2 tickets so is obviously % based.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even when MCD/Akon put out a gig at €80 there's instantly second hand sales going for 120+. Some of that is touts pushing up the price but it still shows supply outstrips demand for many gigs. The near monopoly of TM is small fry compared to the extreme demand.

I won't go to a ticketmaster gig, and I won't pay more than €50 to see a gig. I think the live music industry is rotten.

The talent needs to earn, as does the venue. Ticketing agencies can be very profitable on a €2/ticket fee. That leaves €48/ticket to pay the talent and the venue. The venue also sells overpriced drinks. The talent makes additional money from merchandising.

A full gig, be it a club venue with a small act or a stadium venue with an A-lister is a profitable gig at €50/head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A full gig, be it a club venue with a small act or a stadium venue with an A-lister is a profitable gig at €50/head.

Is this based on anything other than guesswork?

At the end of the day, this is private enterprise. Just like anyone else running a business, the organisers/talent/whoever else are free to charge a grand a ticket if they think enough people will buy them. Dont see why theres any more scrutiny on them than anyone else selling a good or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Interesting blog from Fish (ex Marillion) regarding cost of touring.

http://fishmusic.scot/touring-view-fish-eye-lens/

There was also a blog I remember reading which dates from 2012 where he broke down what he makes from an average night's perfromance

http://fishmusic.scot/touring/

Is this based on anything other than guesswork?

At the end of the day, this is private enterprise. Just like anyone else running a business, the organisers/talent/whoever else are free to charge a grand a ticket if they think enough people will buy them. Dont see why theres any more scrutiny on them than anyone else selling a good or service.

It's based on a number of years gigging as a small fry in a 4 piece originals band and a 5 piece covers band - usually pub/club venues, and this was many years ago. I got to know some of the owners and managers personally, and got a good idea of their costs and profits. Every venue's different obviously, and I've no experience with the larger venues, even in a support capacity, but we made good money on admission costs of €0-10, and I never saw an owner/manager crying in their beer after paying us our cut.

For the big gigs, some will tour with a 67 piece orchestra, state of the art multimedia and lighting, choirs, etc and fly them all to each gig on a charter. That will eat into the profit margin, but there's plenty will show up with their guitars and drumsticks (slight exaggeration), and work with the house lighting and sound guys to put on a perfectly good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It's based on a number of years gigging as a small fry in a 4 piece originals band and a 5 piece covers band - usually pub/club venues, and this was many years ago. I got to know some of the owners and managers personally, and got a good idea of their costs and profits. Every venue's different obviously, and I've no experience with the larger venues, even in a support capacity, but we made good money on admission costs of €0-10, and I never saw an owner/manager crying in their beer after paying us our cut.

For the big gigs, some will tour with a 67 piece orchestra, state of the art multimedia and lighting, choirs, etc and fly them all to each gig on a charter. That will eat into the profit margin, but there's plenty will show up with their guitars and drumsticks (slight exaggeration), and work with the house lighting and sound guys to put on a perfectly good show.

Are you saying that going to see a Metallica cover band is the same as seeing Metallica play live and should cost the same?

Heard a guy interviewed on The Last word a few weeks ago, he said for a concert in 3Arena there could be 200 people working at the venue and insurance costs/rental costs for promoter/artist costs are enormous.

Advertisement