Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in Dublin City

• 01-05-2019 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Hi

I cycled somewhat when I was kid and never did much road cycling, I would love to get to the stage where I could commute from Phoenix Park to Grand Canal Dock confidently.

Has anyone any suggestions how I should start this and what sort of bike I should get on the bike to work scheme? I was looking at the Giant brand, any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If Phoenix Park is close by why not start there? Build up your confidence on a cheap second-hand bike. Once you know you want to stick at it, and have a bit more experience, you can decide what to spend your Bike-To-Work budget on. Lots of BTW bikes gathering dust, unused in sheds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one option might be (and others will have better knowledge on whether this is sensible as i don't know how safe some sections are) to head to ashtown and follow the royal canal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks for the reply, how much should I pay for a second hand bike? Any particular brand?

I see a Giant Hybrid Escape Men's for sale with an asking of €295, would that be suitable bike to start with?

one option might be (and others will have better knowledge on whether this is sensible as i don't know how safe some sections are) to head to ashtown and follow the royal canal?

The reason I said the phoenix park was I could park there and cycling in until I got enough stamina to cycle from home (a 12km, 42 min cycle according to Google maps)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heffo500 wrote: »
    The reason I said the phoenix park was I could park there and cycling in until I got enough stamina to cycle from home (a 12km, 42 min cycle according to Google maps)
    the canal at ashtown is only about half a kilometre from the side of the park, should still be in keeping with your original thinking. that said, i'm not familiar with what the canal is like from phibsboro inbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hi

I cycled somewhat when I was kid and never did much road cycling, I would love to get to the stage where I could commute from Phoenix Park to Grand Canal Dock confidently.

Has anyone any suggestions how I should start this and what sort of bike I should get on the bike to work scheme? I was looking at the Giant brand, any thoughts?

Thanks

I'd suggest an upright large wheeled bike (700mm wheels). Commuter style. Possibly with front rack.

Your distance isn't too far and relatively flat. A nice high riding position will allow you to se over some of the traffic. & you won't need to contort your body over the bars.

I'd also recommend a hubs gear for simplicity, but thats subjective. I'd also recommend a good lock. I'd suggest this: Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7
    But you might find something you prefer over on the locks thread

The quays are not a nice place to cycle, so take your time & be aware of traffic. There is a plan for a new segregated cycle lane... so it should improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Go for it...!

You should be looking at a hybrid really for your first bike. Or a single speed (fixie), I have a fixie and I love it... its dead light ... It is harder to go faster speeds without any gears... I get overtaken a fair bit but am happy with the speed it can get up to.
    The Giant would be fine... its down to personal preference in the end... but keep an eye on weight when looking at bikes.

As mentioned it might be a good idea to run around the phoenix park to familiarise yourself with road cycling again.

Get a very good lock (€50 odd min) and good usb chargeable lights, an try get into the habit of looking over your shoulder before making any course deviation on the bike!

Doop wrote: »
    Go for it...!

You should be looking at a hybrid really for your first bike. Or a single speed (fixie), I have a fixie and I love it... its dead light ... It is harder to go faster speeds without any gears... I get overtaken a fair bit but am happy with the speed it can get up to.
    The Giant would be fine... its down to personal preference in the end... but keep an eye on weight when looking at bikes.

As mentioned it might be a good idea to run around the phoenix park to familiarise yourself with road cycling again.

Get a very good lock (€50 odd min) and good usb chargeable lights, an try get into the habit of looking over your shoulder before making any course deviation on the bike!

When I mentioned Hub Gears, I meant Nexus/Alfine... 8 or 11 gears. perfect for commuting. Little maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I would recommend doing a "test" cycle on a Sunday morning too when the traffic is light. Without the pressure of having to get in there on time. You might find your Stamina better than expected. Confidence comes from experience, see if you can get out on a bike and try it out. I bought a second hand bike to get me started and paid about 250 for it, it does the job and is still doing the job 2 years later.

Cionn

Cionn wrote: »
    I would recommend doing a "test" cycle on a Sunday morning too when the traffic is light. Without the pressure of having to get in there on time. You might find your Stamina better than expected. Confidence comes from experience, see if you can get out on a bike and try it out. I bought a second hand bike to get me started and paid about 250 for it, it does the job and is still doing the job 2 years later.

Cionn

Also, take out a Dublin Bike prior to buying anything. You'd never know what you might learn from a test run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Go from the phoenix park to the Canal, and then you are offroad the whole way in. Its one of easiest cycles in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

My daily commute is 12km each way in Dublin also. Even if you're unfit, it's easily done. My advice would be to get to know the route. That's the main thing. There's certain points in my commute that i would be slightly more observant. Maybe do a run at the weekend early in the morning when it's quiet?

I wouldn't bother with driving in for part of it. It sounds like a lot of hassle.

the canal at ashtown is only about half a kilometre from the side of the park, should still be in keeping with your original thinking. that said, i'm not familiar with what the canal is like from phibsboro inbound.

Where does the canal route finish in the city?

the canal itself opens onto the liffey at the convention centre.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You come off the canal at phibsborough but can then go down Whitworth road and get back onto the canal just past there and get as far as Amiens street about 200meters away from the Five Lamps. You can go on the canal from Phibs-Dorset street too, but you've to navigate the gates and walkers so it's quicker to go down Whitworth I'd suggest.

There is often a bit of glass on the section as you approach Croke Park, and there are 2 low bridges to slow down at, but otherwise it's grand.

I'd suggest getting on the canal at Castleknock. It's downhill pretty much into town, and Castleknock to Ashtown has the nicest surface (Thanks Leo)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

The Part 8 , phase 2 of Royal Canal Greenway is currently under construction between Sherrif Street/Spencer Dock and North Strand road by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It finishes on North Strand Road.

This is the canal route:

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3463013,-6.2412274/53.3816675,-6.3564752/@53.3527506,-6.2627449,14z/data=!4m24!4m23!1m20!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2455964!2d53.3556136!3s0x48670e8af5df8847:0x1a7280f7df65127f!3m4!1m2!1d-6.250481!2d53.3593145!3s0x48670e62296e1065:0x48fbe5153b39b48b!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2596652!2d53.3613992!3s0x48670e6347aa7bc1:0x829d07eb7a327e89!3m4!1m2!1d-6.3365292!2d53.3752751!3s0x48670d737fe17c69:0xcb9804bf0636b7c8!1m0!3e1

Once you pass Dorset St or Croke Park there is a busy downhill cycle so you have some 'safety in numbers'.

Get Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres as they have excellent puncture protection.

First few days might be a bit painful on the thighs but you get used to it very quickly, Have a test cycle and continue out to Howth some Saturday or Sunday, you can get the DART back, it will knock the worst rustiness out of your legs.

Advertisement