Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

No but I think its possible she could have witnessed it, heard the scuffle in the yard, ran down and found Ryan dead on the ground. Quirke then convinced her to keep quiet and say he'll take care of the body. Through either fear or shock she complies and says nothing, worried she'll be somehow implicated

I think thats reaching now in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Its not so much whether he was Guilty or not, its the fact he was convicted on purely circumstantial evidence and the chief witness was unreliable in the extreme. He is entitled to the presumption of innocence unless his guilt can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

This sets a dangerous precedence in our Judicial system Imo & we all know that the guards can manipulate and paint a picture of someones guilt if they want to. People are all capable of wild internet searches, just because a man was unfaithful doesn't mean he a murderer, etc, etc. Take the Maurice McCabe case for example. When we go down this road, what next or who next for that matter.

I'm inclined to agree and I think this is what many people are missing. You could get caught up in the finer details of the case but when you stand back and look at it baldly, there is no clear evidence that links Quirke to the actual murder of Ryan. And that basic fact is what the public should be concerned about.

It's not good enough to say, well someone murdered him and who else could have done it, therefore he's guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Agree it's a possible scenario, Stacksofwacks. Personally, I don't think she would have the mental capability of living with that for two years. No offence meant to Mary L! I think it would be a very rare person, apart from P. Quirke, who would have the mental capability of living with that for two years.

You'd be surprised what self preservation could do for ones mental capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

No but I think its possible she could have witnessed it, heard the scuffle in the yard, ran down and found Ryan dead on the ground. Quirke then convinced her to keep quiet and say he'll take care of the body. Through either fear or shock she complies and says nothing, worried she'll be somehow implicated

ah, shed hardly by in on it in that scenario?

top be in on it, shed have to have something to do with the murder for him to somehow take her down, which is what was being discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

LOL! You're right, Stacksofwacks. Nevertheless, I think the stress of all of that would cause her to have a mental breakdown within that time-frame. Giving evidence, she seemed quite self-possessed. If she was hiding such a huge "secret", I think it would show physically on her delivery of evidence. Breaking down, shaking, trembling or the like. IMO, She managed to keep her composure very well under the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Has anyone heard anything about him having a DJ name? Mr Moonlight I believe, don't think it was mentioned before.

What was it like in solitary confinement? Are the cells really padded?

so she witnessed the murder and or was invloved and then decided to terminate the lease on the farm with the body hidden on it

lads

if called for jury duty don't go please

nothing in this case, his sense of self preservation did nothing for him

he bottled it

so she witnessed the murder and or was invloved and then decided to terminate the lease on the farm with the body hidden on it

lads

LOL!

• Advertisement

lads

Maybe she didnt know exactly where the body was hidden, perhaps Quirke threatened her or she was afraid of him, he did seem to have this hold over her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'm sure he never left the farm and somebody else drove the van to the woods.

You're 'Sure' about that yeah? :rolleyes:

Like I said previously you could end up facing a jury made up of guys like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Was just thinking same. There must have been an accomplice. I'm sure such a devious man could have found someone to fill that role - at a price.

This is well known around Tipp but not in the papers.
    Pat Quirke had a polish man working for him at the time.He went back to poland just after Bobby Ryan went missing and committed suicide soon after returning home so we will never know if this man had anything to do with it.

I also heard there may have been two polish workers.

Maybe she didnt know exactly where the body was hidden, perhaps Quirke threatened her or she was afraid of him, he did seem to have this hold over her

Somebody, I think maybe Freshpopcorn, mentioned that "everybody in the neighbourhood seemed to think that Quirke had murdered him". Correct me if I'm wrong. If that was the case, nobody was saying anything.

he had a hold over her, but she still terminated the lease?

wah?

you are terminating the lease Mary? the bodys on the land, that would be the time to tell her for sure

the crazy thing is she was renting the farm out for 1600 a year, i mean wtf

• Advertisement

upupup wrote: »
    Pat Quirke had a polish man working for him at the time.He went back to poland just after Bobby Ryan went missing and committed suicide soon after returning home so we will never know if this man had anything to do with it.

I don't know if this has been a proven fact or just "talk". There seems to be some doubt around it, far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Crazy decision by courts...

What for example if he knew or strongly suspected Mary Lowry committed the crime and hid the body on the farm?.......he would have behaved in exactly the same way as he did.

Somebody, I think maybe Freshpopcorn, mentioned that "everybody in the neighbourhood seemed to think that Quirke had murdered him". Correct me if I'm wrong. If that was the case, nobody was saying anything.

Well obviously they were saying something as Freshpopcorn found out

upupup wrote: »

So did the two Polish workers commit suicide?

Well obviously they were saying something as Freshpopcorn found out

LOL! Of course! But I presume behind the scenes. Whisper! Whisper!

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Crazy decision by courts...

What for example if he knew or strongly suspected Mary Lowry committed the crime and hid the body on the farm?.......he would have behaved in exactly the same way as he did.

Why would she kill him exactly, we need a reasonable reason, not a made up one

Now he wouldn't have acted like that, he literally wrote out a confession on paper

LOL! Of course! But I presume behind the scenes. Whisper! Whisper!

so they were talking? the scamps, loose lips sink ships, and sure the ngardaí would have heard the rumours then, are they part of a cover up?

Get Gemma on the blower quick

sure what were they going to do exactly? it's all talk really until a body is found

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

The only reason he killed him was she was knocking off his bit on the side, or so he hoped.....
    I think he cared more about what his pants was telling him to do than his brain.

There has been historical wars over men thinking with their bell end rather than using common sense....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The farmyard and the house are not on the same grounds. The farmyard is situated 10kms away.

No it was more than that, it was about control. Quirke is obviously an insecure man who couldnt handle being brushed aside like that.

I don't know if this has been a proven fact or just "talk". There seems to be some doubt around it, far as I know.

There's no doubt about it from people living close to Quirke.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier but Quirke's child was killed in an accident with his jeep.Quirke kept the jeep,,most people would not be able to look at a vehicle that kiiled their child so it shows him up as being colder than most people

So did the two Polish workers commit suicide?

One committed suicide,no info about second guy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Eh? Even if what you're alleging is true (unlikely) then he's still guilty of murder, so justice was served. You should be happy.

The farmyard and the house are not on the same grounds. The farmyard is situated 10kms away.

Doesn't look like that on the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

he had a hold over her, but she still terminated the lease?

wah?

you are terminating the lease Mary? the bodys on the land, that would be the time to tell her for sure

the crazy thing is she was renting the farm out for 1600 a year, i mean wtf

He could have been blackmailing her ......if he knew she did it.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Eh? Even if what you're alleging is true (unlikely) then he's still guilty of murder, so justice was served. You should be happy.

Eh? So even if what I'm alleging is untrue(unlikely), you think its ok for a witness to a murder to withold information from a major murder trial, pleading that its because she's a woman who liked to indulge herself in love triangles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Eh? So even if what I'm alleging is untrue(unlikely), you think its ok for a witness to a murder to withold information from a major murder trial, pleading that its because she's a woman who liked to indulge herself in love triangles

Your scenario still has Quirke as guilty, which a jury of his peers deemed him to be.

Mary Lowry lying on the stand doesn't change any hypothetical scenario you wish to concoct, even in that you still have him as the killer.

And anyways, it's been pointed out to you repeatedly - if she was involved then why would she seek legal advice to break the lease with Quirke when the body was hidden on her land.

The most obvious, and imo correct answer given all of the evidence presented at the trial - the internet searches in particular - is that Quirke is guilty.

And I'm delighted the jury saw through his facade of blame shifting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

Not all of the information you mention was put the to the jury. The sex tapes and the underwear stealing in particular were excluded from evidence by the judge.

Oh no. no no no!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/murder-accused-stole-underwear-from-former-lover-s-clothes-line-1.3776045

https://www.thejournal.ie/mary-lowry-patrick-quirke-computer-recording-4565840-Mar2019/

In relation to the underware been stolen Mary did not report this to the Guards and Quirke did not seem to bothered when she said to him " I hope you wont be stealing Mary Dillons knickers of the line.

In relation to the recording She said she did not make the recording and did not give anyone permission to record the conversation.
    As alluded to by a poster previous this is Kinky stuff note she did not say that she had never given Quirke permission to record her or that she never recorded her self for purposes unknown.
    Now one could conclude that the defense was weak but one must keep in mind the fact that counsel was working under instruction.
    In my opinion the Guards should have charged Mary if only for the purpose of extracting the truth the whole truth...............
    I know I can hear it from here What Evidence?
    His appeal will made on the grounds that relevant evidence was not put before the Jury and the appeal will be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

there's an accomplice now is there? that's some revelation,

6:30 in the morning, liftin fookin heavy tank lids is it, on an unused dairy farm, it was a big heavy concrete yoke

lads how far is bansha woods? I'm sure a few miles across country he's a local, he walked home after he moved the van, best way to not get spotted

He acted alone

If you had bothered reading my post, I didn't say he lifted anything, I said he was lured out there on the premise of something needing to be lifted.

Necro wrote: »
    Your scenario still has Quirke as guilty, which a jury of his peers deemed him to be.

Mary Lowry lying on the stand doesn't change any hypothetical scenario you wish to concoct, even in that you still have him as the killer.

And anyways, it's been pointed out to you repeatedly - if she was involved then why would she seek legal advice to break the lease with Quirke when the body was hidden on her land.

The most obvious, and imo correct answer given all of the evidence presented at the trial - the internet searches in particular - is that Quirke is guilty.

And I'm delighted the jury saw through his facade of blame shifting.

You're proabaly right but the Mary little lamb facade hasnt convinced me either perhaps Im just cynical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I heard stuff in 2012. I didn't know the people involved.
    There was stuff about the man that died. I don't know of it's true or not so I won't mention it.
    They was a lot of gossip about affairs and people involved it looks like it was true. They also said the body was very close to the house where he was last seen.

I wonder is Mary Lowry related to Michael Lowry, that man would get you off anything I have heard!! :)

it's 10 meters away more like

If you had bothered reading my post, I didn't say he lifted anything, I said he was lured out there on the premise of something needing to be lifted.

oh i read what you said, what was he lifting so? what difference does it even make

you said he had an accomplice, like thats mad enough

• Advertisement

I heard stuff in 2012. I didn't know the people involved.
    There was stuff about the man that died. I don't know of it's true or not so I won't mention it.
    They was a lot of gossip about affairs and people involved it looks like it was true. They also said the body was very close to the house where he was last seen.

and you didn't go to the po po?

I know snitches get stitches, but come on

i wonder is this thread what the deliberation of the jury was like,

10 sane people and few nutters who said rock n roll loving aliens did, the king is alive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

and you didn't go to the po po?

I know snitches get stitches, but come on

Go to them with what? I heard xyz?

givyjoe wrote: »
    Go to them with what? I heard xyz?

the body is near the house

i mean you'd get them out digging the place up with JCBs with that kinda info

seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I wonder is Mary Lowry related to Michael Lowry, that man would get you off anything I have heard!! :)

Well you wonder badly Lowry is her married name and would be Quirkes Mrs Maiden name. ;)

10 sane people and few nutters who said rock n roll loving aliens did, the king is alive

No it was Hillary Clinton who did it, that's why she deleted all those emails :D

• Advertisement

oh i read what you said, what was he lifting so? what difference does it even make

you said he had an accomplice, like thats mad enough

Right, well firstly you might want to calm down a bit we're all only speculating.

My point was this. The tank was open and he needed to get Quirke out near it and may have said "come out here Bobby and help me with...." luring him to his grave.

He'd have been a hell of a man if he killed him, covered the tank with the concrete lid and the bales - all in the space of 10 minutes it took for Bobby's van to drive out of Lowry's? And then drove his van to Bansha Wood and got back to milk his own cows (not noticed by anybody) in Breanshamore all in the space of a couple of hours?

I think it is more than plausible that he had an accomplice. But as I said above, we are all only speculating.

Here's a joke that's going around,I heard it from a neighbour of Quirkes yesterday.
    Mary Lowry had a delay in getting planning permission for her new Bungalow.
    She wanted 2 septic tanks:D

You can find 10 sane posters on here!:eek:

Don't you think that's rather high???? ;):p

haha two sane 10 mad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement