Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I read somewhere that he put everything into some form of company in 2014 and this will prevent the Ryan children from being able to sue him!

A lot of farmers in 2014, set up farming partnerships or companies for the young farmer scheme for 2015 for younger member of the family to qualify for the scheme. Nothing out of the ordinary in doing this like what your suggestions are trying to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    You claimed that Ms Lowry had a number of previous lovers. This is incorrect. I was just pointing out this to you.

“Originally Posted by blackcard View Post
    Let's say that Mary Lowry was getting fed up with Ryan as she did with a number of previous lovers ”
    I stand corrected. Let's say that Mary Lowry was getting fed up with Ryan as she did with 2 previous lovers.

Who were her two previous lovers?[/quote]
    Quirke and I think Fingleton? Listen, I don't think there is a chance in hell that Mary Lowry was involved, I was just making the point that you could build a case with circumstantial evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

They'd normally keep them in a shed for easy access to be honest,
    im talking about ones that are lame or slightly feable and you want to keep away from the rest rather than the ones that are really bad
    then the vet needs to be out looking around the field for tanks for no reason , it's say a 1 in 100 chance you'd stumble across this tank if you were just walking the fieldwhy . it is right infront of you when you go out the gate .

On the off chance he founfd it, then it's clear the vet did it, again, this vet would be one of the few, so we are up to 3 people now

Now this supposed nosey polish lad that no one knows about, now he had access to the farm, supposedly, although no one has a clue really, again, he could have walked the land, he could have stumbled across the tank, same chance as the vet, now we are up to

2 adults, quirke and Lowry, maybe her kids, 10 year olds, I'd say we rule them out , and maybe 100 to one chance of 2 unknown others who could have know it was there

you can break it up anyway you want but its very hard to see how only a handfull of people knew about it. it would have been very visable to loads of people for years

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Lots of Bar stool detectives about tonight !:D

im more of an armchair detective

Who were her two previous lovers?
    Quirke and I think Fingleton? Listen, I don't think there is a chance in hell that Mary Lowry was involved, I was just making the point that you could build a case with circumstantial evidence.[/QUOTE]

Quirke was her only lover before The deceased MR Ryan. If you’re going to speculate, try informing yourself.

There are no winners in this sad saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you can break it up anyway you want but its very hard to see how only a handfull of people knew about it. it would have been very visable to loads of people for years

And yet the farm was searched I presume by the gardai and they never noticed it, weird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I think I posted something similar earlier. From my understanding this means they wont be able to get any money.

I believe that was the plan. It was also reported that he made himself an employee of the company, supposedly earning between €10,000 and €15,000 per annum, which qualified him for free legal aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Who were her two previous lovers?
    Quirke and I think Fingleton? Listen, I don't think there is a chance in hell that Mary Lowry was involved, I was just making the point that you could build a case with circumstantial evidence.

Quirke was her only lover before The deceased MR Ryan. If you’re going to speculate, try informing yourself.

There are no winners in this sad saga.[/quote]
    Flor Cantillon. Sorry, got the name wrong

And yet the farm was searched I presume by the gardai and they never noticed it, weird

yes because pat quirke (presumably) put bales on top of it. another stupid thing to do, it could have caved in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lot of farmers in 2014, set up farming partnerships or companies for the young farmer scheme for 2015 for younger member of the family to qualify for the scheme. Nothing out of the ordinary in doing this like what your suggestions are trying to make out.

That's what the papers were saying!
    He also has a lot of other assets according to them outside of his farming one's also!

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I believe that was the plan. It was also reported that he made himself an employee of the company, supposedly earning between €10,000 and €15,000 per annum, which qualified him for free legal aid.

Would it even matter? Even if he had assets, would he be expected to liquidate his farm to fund his defence in the event he was found not guilty, what would happen

That's what the papers were saying!
    He also has a lot of other assets according to them outside of his farming one's also!

And others are saying he was doing a lot of his investing pre 2008, and I'm sure you remember what happened to them boys

Someone said there was a judgement against the farm

Who is to be believed

He had a 50 acre farm, hardly lifestyles of the rich n famous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

The independent today has a full summary of the case which is available on their website. Which states that quirke was asked by the gardai the number of tanks on the farm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Nobelium wrote: »
    Looks like he fooled you as well then

Fooled me. It seems you are the one who was fooled. He set up a limited company. That in itself would not put assets beyond the reach of creditors. His farm is in the name of himself and his wife and there is a charge on it. The limited company has assets of 170K in 2017. He was under considerable financial pressure due to losses in Poland.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-debt-that-led-to-death-quirkes-1m-losses-in-a-tale-more-of-money-than-love-38080240.html

He could not have paid for legal representation for a murder trial from his available resources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

And others are saying he was doing a lot of his investing pre 2008, and I'm sure you remember what happened to them boys

Who is to be believed

Botanic Gardens in Dublin is about the same size, You could graze a lot of cattle in there ! What that has to do with anything, I don't know really !

• Advertisement

mycro2013 wrote: »
    The independent today has a full summary of the case which is available on their website. Which states that quirke was asked by the gardai the number of tanks on the farm.

Yes I posted about that a few pages back but that hasn't stopped the armchair detectives here on this thread fantasising about dozens of people who could have known about the tank and thus be possible suspects to a murder :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Fooled me. It seems you are the one who was fooled. He set up a limited company. That in itself would not put assets beyond the reach of creditors. His farm is in the name of himself and his wife and there is a charge on it. The limited company has assets of 170K in 2017. He was under considerable financial pressure due to losses in Poland.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-debt-that-led-to-death-quirkes-1m-losses-in-a-tale-more-of-money-than-love-38080240.html

He could not have paid for legal representation for a murder trial from his available resources.

Well take it up with the press that reported his assets value, you seem to think you know better.

mycro2013 wrote: »

And he lied about it to them, they reckon 4 people knew if tank

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Actually, my understanding is that Jimmy Lowry in his evidence said that he, his late brother Martin, another(Lowry) brother and Patrick Quirke all knew of the existence of the tank.

Well take it up with the press that reported his assets value, you seem to think you know better.

The Indo reckoned he was tanked also

He was going to the doctor for meds to help him sleep, a 3million dollar man he was not

• Advertisement

Who is to be believed

Here it says he had 112 acres in 2005!
    Shur he was big into his investing.
    He invested a good chunk of money with Mary as well and they got a good return.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/be-patient-but-dont-wait-too-long-26005662.html

Actually, my understanding is that Jimmy Lowry in his evidence said that he, his late brother Martin, another(Lowry) brother and Patrick Quirke all knew of the existence of the tank.

Patrick quirks deffo did as he hid a body in there

That's the give away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You believe a vague report about €3m in Poland from a red top? Keep the day job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I don't know if it's true but have heard it from a few different sources but apparently a group of his family and friends had arranged a party in his local pub for last week when he'd be found "not guilty" and would be welcomed back to a hero's welcome

GoneHome wrote: »
    I don't know if it's true but have heard it from a few different sources but apparently a group of his family and friends had arranged a party in his local pub for last week when he'd be found "not guilty" and would be welcomed back to a hero's welcome

It was in some paper Yesterday that they had a marquee booked!

Here it says he had 112 acres in 2005!
    Shur he was big into his investing.
    He invested a good chunk of money with Mary as well and they got a good return.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/be-patient-but-dont-wait-too-long-26005662.html

That's some googling boyo, the internet is so sticky

How much debt did he have to take that on? What happened post 2005

I mean I could own a house worth 500k but the bank or in this case pepper finance might

It was in some paper Yesterday that they had a marquee booked!

Yes that's what I heard also from a local in the area as far back as two weeks ago

I wonder is that same place Graham Dwyer's had booked for the last 3 years?

I wonder is that same place Graham Dwyer's had booked for the last 3 years?

I know that's exactly what struck me when I heard it, didn't Dwyer say to the cops he'd a restaurant booked in Bandon for the day he'd be acquited in the court

I know that's exactly what struck me when I heard it, didn't Dwyer say to the cops he'd a restaurant booked in Bandon for the day he'd be acquited in the court

I know, wouldn't any place love that publicity plastered all over the sun the next day

• Advertisement

Who were the other 3?

Martin Lowry's two brothers and a farm hand.

Polish farm hand?

That's some googling boyo, the internet is so sticky

How much debt did he have to take that on? What happened post 2005

I mean I could own a house worth 500k but the bank or in this case pepper finance might

It's the only article I could really find about him pre this.

I honestly don't know he was either one way or the other maybe a local could let us know.
    They used apparently leave a €5 tip in the local Italian when they visited.(They must be minted).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

If the Lowry's grew up on that farm, wouldn't Imelda Quirke have known about it? That's one more. LOL! ;) :P Still counting???

If the Lowry's grew up on that farm, wouldn't Imelda Quirke have known about it? That's one more. LOL! ;) :P Still counting???

Sure what else would they talk about over dinner

It's the only article I could really find about him pre this.

I honestly don't know he was either one way or the other maybe a local could let us know.
    They used apparently leave a €5 tip in the local Italian when they visited.(They must be minted).

Well it was all 5 star hotels he was bringing Mary to (the Cliff House in Ardmore etc) and the day after the body being found didn't he bring the wife to the Heritage in Killanard another 5 star, he'll know all about 5 star now and he locked up in Mountjoy

Well it was all 5 star hotels he was bringing Mary to (the Cliff House in Ardmore etc) and the day after the body being found didn't he bring the wife to the Heritage in Killanard another 5 star, he'll know all about 5 star now and he locked up in Mountjoy

Sadly!

Polish farm hand?

No. He has an Irish surname - Kenny, I believe.

Sadly!

I wonder did he know in the back of his head this day would come or was he so sly like Dwyer that he thought he'd never be caught

• Advertisement

The things is if everything was going good for Quirke financially and you didn't criticise him. You'd have being called a begrudger!

I wonder did he know in the back of his head this day would come or was he so sly like Dwyer that he thought he'd never be caught

I'd say the latter. ;)

Perhaps. The people reported as having known about it were the three Lowry brothers, Quirke and a farm hand. I believe Jimmy Lowry attested to this in court.
    More than that, I can't say! ;)

Well both were sitting there with bodies hanging over their heads the whole time

Madness really, how could you not act to sort it out

Dwyer is in Arbour Hill now isn't he, I presume Quirke will have to do a couple of months in Mountjoy and then he'll be moved on there as well

Dwyer is in Arbour Hill now isn't he, I presume Quirke will have to do a couple of months in Mountjoy and then he'll be moved on there as well

Could Quirke end up in Portlaoise to be nearer to family?

• Advertisement

Midlands no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Midlands no?

The sunday world said he would be going to the midlands prison, for whatever that is worth.

Aren't most murderers sent to Arbour Hill after a time

The sunday world said he would be going to the midlands prison, for whatever that is worth.

Many say life in Portlaoise is the cruelest sentence of all

Many say life in Portlaoise is the cruelest sentence of all

Yes wasn't there something on the paper last week about the over-crowding there, any of you read "Inside the Monkey House" written by an ex prison officer who worked in Mountjoy, Portlaoise, Arbour Hill and Castlerea, it's some read

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement