Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

What bothers me is not
    women having S
    but the betrayal of a best friend / sister-in-law.
    Which apparently is less serious than the betrayal of a wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Am bowing out for the moment. Have an appointment for a lovely massage.

Perfect timing! As I'm noticing some Gang Thankers starting to assemble in the thread. FYI, these are people who manage their thanks buttons to get to a certain person. How it works is they thank anyone who contradicts them i.e. the following post. These people as it happens have not contributed one iota to this thread. Some have not been seen around here for the last month. Hm-m-m. I wonder why! Before more assemble in posts following mine, I am off.

Also Ta-rah to those who want to twist my words. Perfect fodder for cows - I mean Gang Thankers!

They'll have to seek me out elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What bothers me is not but the betrayal of a best friend / sister-in-law.

And her husband gets off scot free?

It takes two to tango, but you're very much pointing the finger at one person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Apparently there’s an article in The Times Ireland edition today concerning the belief by someone connected to Bobby Ryan’s family that Quirke had an accomplice- anyone have access to that article?

His family didn't paint Mary Lowry in the best light.
    They basically said she was all over the place when they went to her house looking for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Perfect timing! As I'm noticing some Gang Thankers starting to assemble in the thread. FYI, these are people who manage the their thanks buttons to get to a certain person. How it works is they thanki anyone who contradicts them i.e. the following post. These people as it happens have not contributed one iota to this thread. Some have not been seen around here for the last month. Hm-m-m. I wonder why! Before more assemble in posts following mine, I am off.

Also Ta-rah to those who want to twist my words. Perfect fodder for cows - I mean Gang Thankers!

Bye bye. Hope you have a happy ending

• Advertisement

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    This was covered in the case. The murder took place on a Friday morning. Every Friday, Lowry brought her kids to school and then brought her mother in law into town to run errands.

So on Fridays, the farm is empty for hours.

Now, only someone with good knowledge of the Lowry family’s routines would have known that was the best time to give yourself a few hours to dispose of a body.

I actually think it was a bad morning to do it especially with the AI lady calling. Who could have landed on early or of if somebody was sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Perfect timing! As I'm noticing some Gang Thankers starting to assemble in the thread. FYI, these are people who manage the their thanks buttons to get to a certain person. How it works is they thanki anyone who contradicts them i.e. the following post. These people as it happens have not contributed one iota to this thread. Some have not been seen around here for the last month. Hm-m-m. I wonder why! Before more assemble in posts following mine, I am off.

From the Margaret Cash thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109239418
    25-01-2019, 12:30 #5129
    Vicarious Function

Why is this thread still up and running? Does any human being deserve public shaming at this level?

Roll on legislation that will deal with social media that can behave in this way. Shame on you, Boards.ie, not to mention the low-life's that keep contributing to this thread
    Last edited by Vicarious Function; 25-01-2019 at 12:35.
    25-01-2019, 12:40 #5135
    Vicarious Function

The fact a person has been through the courts for an offense ought to enough - not the continuous naming and shaming that goes on here. Who gives people the right to treat another human being like that?
    25-01-2019, 15:28 #5206
    Vicarious Function

This woman is being picked on as an individual just because people can do it. That makes her a victim. Unfortunately, it is at the hands of the people here in AH. That is regardless of her character or what she may have done or not done in the past. Let's look at ourselves for a change and move on.

What happened in the last four months to cause you to do an about face on what seem to have been strongly held views in the Margaret Cash case? You are doing to Mary Lowry what the posters were doing to Margaret Cash and which you strenously objected. I smell a rat.

Apparently there’s an article in The Times Ireland edition today concerning the belief by someone connected to Bobby Ryan’s family that Quirke had an accomplice- anyone have access to that article?

They basically said she was all over the place when they went to her house looking for him.
    They also testified inaccurately that Mary Lowry texted their father numerous times the night before the murder when the evidence showed she texted only twice. Perhaps not the most reliable of witnesses.

They also testified inaccurately that Mary Lowry texted their father numerous times the night before the murder when the evidence showed she texted only twice. Perhaps not the most reliable of witnesses.

Ok thanks for that.
    So his family and Mary are all unreliable now and of course Quirke

Ok thanks for that.
    So his family and Mary are all unreliable now and of course Quirke
    I think there were enough agendas going on in this case to make many of those who testified and also those who did not unreliable. It's the nature of this type of thing.
    I suspect Imelda Quirke knows quite a lot that she will never tell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

Do you ever sleep? I think your a Female Obsessive, Mary had a little Lamb was probably similar conversing through agony Aunt pages via newspapers with letters that she would scribe in the wee hours of the morning using key code words to titillate her lovers roping them in to her sordid little world of make believe she probably got the initial idea from the Zodiac killer who liked to write to newspapers also.
    I never get any thanks from the Gang Thankers you describe in fact I never get any thanks at all except the one I got from You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

ADMIN NOTE: Vicarious Function - If you have an issue, use the Report Post function. Do not drag threads off-topic in this, or any other, forum with on-thread complaints about use of the Thanks function.

tHB

Any way to see that article online? It will probably be picked up anyway over the coming days by other news outlets.

Why even bother to ask the question? This posts sounds like someone would like to bring back the days of stocks and scarlet letters for women. Perhaps you'd like a knife to carve a big A into her forehead with your own hand? Would that satisfy a certain something in you?

You have no idea what the woman has been through. You have no idea how her children are handling it? It is also none of your business. Is she supposed to hide away for the rest of her life to match your idea of how she should behave now? Are you a vendor of sackcloth and ashes?

Get a life of your own, Vicarious (apt username), instead of worrying about other people. Unless you have skin in the game it's not really for you to be maliciously gossiping and encouraging others to join you. Are the days of squinting windows not gone in this country yet? I don't know anyone who wouldn't think that she's already paid a high price for any transgressions you feel she committed but seemingly you'd like her to suffer a little more for some reason. Would you not get on with your own life and hope that you never get yourself into a situation which blows up in your face and destroys your reputation? Don't say it would never happen because it happens all to easily to people in different degrees. Life sneaks up on people who say never.

Perhaps you should submit a late application to run in the local elections and your platform could be bringing back public floggings and imprisonment for those women who run foul of what society thinks is right. Seems slightly familiar though from our own history and sounds like a certain mindset that so many people in this country purport to despise but obviously don't when it's on their terms.

Leave the woman alone. She's paid a high price for the affair she had but hey affairs are not illegal otherwise the prison system in this country would collapse under the weight of inmates.

How dare she be interested in volunteering her help for the Tidy Towns competition? Just listen to yourself encouraging others to castigate her like yourself. *sigh*

Some of the points raised by the Prime Directive are valid.
    Abnormal behavior in itself is not a crime but when taken in its entirety may assist in one forming a view point that maybe Mary has and never had whats called empathy this could be used as evidence in Quirkes Appeal.
    In reality murder or assisting in a murder/cover up is abnormal as is shagging your best friends Husband not once not twice but loads of times without any concern for the emotional catastrophe that would eventually ensue for all concerned. Had Mary been resident in another country well .............................................

I actually think it was a bad morning to do it especially with the AI lady calling. Who could have landed on early or of if somebody was sick.

I"m wondering was this less premeditated than it appears. I mean, would you really plan on disposing of a body in a tank on land you're renting? And then driving the van to the woods and then returning- all number of people could have seen you- early dog walkers, joggers, delivery drivers, early starters- it doesn't seem at all "meticulously" planned- I mean, if you intended to do this evil deed, you wouldn't do it that way, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

I"m wondering was this less premeditated than it appears. I mean, would you really plan on disposing of a body in a tank on land you're renting? And then driving the van to the woods and then returning- all number of people could have seen you- early dog walkers, joggers, delivery drivers, early starters- it doesn't seem at all "meticulously" planned- I mean, if you intended to do this evil deed, you wouldn't do it that way, would you?

No. Too many variables. Would be easier to attach hime somewhere or lure him to somewhere else. Don't doubt though that he was waiting for him when he left Mary Lowrys house. Maybe he just intended to threaten him or strike him but things went wrong. However if that was the case he did what he could with the circumstances. Leaving the car by woods to divert attention (they were searched thoroughly and with dogs) and covering the tank with grass, earth and silage so that it was not noticed during the search of the farm. And until body was discovered 22 months later he had gotten away with it.

Any way to see that article online? It will probably be picked up anyway over the coming days by other news outlets.

This is the link where the son says she was shaking. The daughter said similar from what I remember.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/mary-lowry-shaking-on-day-bobby-ryan-disappeared-murder-trial-told-1.3781574%3fmode=amp

I do understand where your coming from.
    He may have thought he was invincible tough would be my only thinking.

Perhaps as the only person who encouraged and was aware of Bobby's presence
    at the farm was Mary,So it was not as meticulous as promulgated by the many
    unless...................

The AI woman was calling to his farm, not Lowrys.

• Advertisement

The AI woman was calling to his farm, not Lowrys.

Ok thanks for that also but it would still sort of put you out.
    Youd be better off without having somebody bothering you.
    We have experience with AI people and they can land on early or late.

Ok thanks for that also but it would still sort of put you out.
    Youd be better off without having somebody bothering you.
    We have experience with AI people and they can land on early or late.

The AI woman said that he’d usually leave the cows to be serviced in the shed and she’d work alone. This was the usual case as he’d be long finished the milking before she came, but this morning, unusually, he was still there.

The AI woman said that he’d usually leave the cows to be serviced in the shed and she’d work alone. This was the usual case as he’d be long finished the milking before she came, but this morning, unusually, he was still there.

That's exactly it.
    What was he thinking if it was a murder that was planned that he'd have somebody who could really land him in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

How late was he. A few minutes or an hour or

The thought has crossed my mind a few times -

Was Quirke out on bail? Far as I know, most Murder accused are kept in custody.
    its extremely unusual for people accused of murder to be released on bail. I think DPP V Éamon Lillis eas a precedent.

I imagine that in this case, the Court took into account the fact that the Accused was a farmer and would have incurred major financial loss if deprived of access to his farm.
    Road-Hog wrote: »
    The joe Duffy show that featured his mother talking about how her son wanted her out of the house following death of her husband gives further insight into the type of person Quirke was.....also can anyone summarize what the ‘plod’ did that was so poor...? Knocking dust and tiny bits of concrete into the tank when taking cover off.....defense were trying to make out that this could have broken some of mr moonlights bones.....?
    The Prosecution had to prove two major elements in this case, one of which was that Patrick Quirke murdered Bobby Ryan, but firstly that Bobby Ryan was actually murdered (as opposed to having been killed by manslaughter or pure accident).

Therefore, it was entirely reasonable for the Defence to claim that the injuries to the body of Bobby Ryan may have been caused by concrete falling onto his body when the slab was removed.

How late was he. A few minutes or an hour or

The account of her testimony is here along with that of two labourers https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/love-rival-trial-ai-technician-tells-of-seeing-quirke-milking-cows-on-day-dj-vanished-37894882.html

Behind the paywall unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Not a paywall, just register.

No, it’s not. Just register and read away

• Advertisement

No, it’s not. Just register and read away

Oh ok. Thanks

Some posters have alluded to Patrick Quirke being a 'big' farmer, what some people might call a rancher.

But he only owned sixty acres in his own right, and was leasing approximately another sixty from the Lowrys. I'm from Tipperary, and from a farm, and he wouldnt be classified as a big farmer. Quite the opposite.

The reason I'm asking this is because Quirke has been portrayed as ambitious and even greedy. Was he leasing a lot of other land or was that all he was farming?

Some posters have alluded to Patrick Quirke being a 'big' farmer, what some people might call a rancher.

But he only owned sixty acres in his own right, and was leasing approximately another sixty from the Lowrys. I'm from Tipperary, and from a farm, and he wouldnt be classified as a big farmer. Quite the opposite.

The reason I'm asking this is because Quirke has been portrayed as ambitious and even greedy. Was he leasing a lot of other land or was that all he was farming?

If you read this link it says what he was into in the mid 2000's!

He was still into it later on because he invested money for Mary Lowry even when things were slowing down.

On PrimeTime the other night it said he was classed in the top farmers in a certain area of cattle and it allowed him to travel to New Zealand!

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/be-patient-but-dont-wait-too-long-26005662.html

If you read this link it says what he was into in the mid 2000's!

He was still into it later on because he invested money for Mary Lowry even when things were slowing down.

On PrimeTime the other night it said he was classed in the top farmers in a certain area of cattle and it allowed him to travel to New Zealand!

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/be-patient-but-dont-wait-too-long-26005662.html
    I'd roughly estimate that most farmers around here or their sons have been to NZ, to see how dairy (in particular) operates out there.

I read both links, including the one you've just posted, and even if Quirke had 100-odd acres in his own right, that would hardly make him a big farmer.

I'm from Tipp, and a big farmer would need to own at least twice that amount to be locally considered as a big farmer.

Maybe Quirke was breeding Belgian Blues and other high-yielding animals whether in beef or dairy, but he strikes me as a very ordinary, pretty much a small farmer.

I read both links, including the one you've just posted, and even if Quirke had 100-odd acres in his own right, that would hardly make him a big farmer.

I'm from Tipp, and a big farmer would need to own at least twice that amount to be locally considered as a big farmer.

Maybe Quirke was breeding Belgian Blues and other high-yielding animals whether in beef or dairy, but he strikes me as a very ordinary, pretty much a small farmer.

They just gave the impression he was well off out of it but I think he considered all his investments to be part of farming.
    He had some name for it such as the modern farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

I'm not familiar with the map around there, but could he have headed back across the fields and maybe misjudged the time it would take?

• Advertisement

They just gave the impression he was well off out of it but I think he considered all his investments to be part of farming.
    He had some name for it such as the modern farmer.
    I read somewhere, maybe on this thread, that Quirke was one of the biggest farmers in the region.

I don't know why I'm curious about this, probably just being a nosey Parker, but it does seem quite at odds with his acreage.

But as you point out, his off-farm investments do seem impressive, assuming that their value are accurately reported. Because his farm doesn't seem particularly much to write home about.

A farmer on that kind of scale would probably be eligible for SUSI grants for his children, for example. The expected income would be very modest, unless he was dealing in very specialised breeding.

Article in The Irish Mirror with Bobby Ryan's daughter saying.

"I do believe there is more than one behind it"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/bobby-ryan-murder-patrick-quirke-15003734?fbclid=IwAR3Tp72sJHP5GGs2GmXMo7Ol9z8MLiFwT5P0-Z0a8gIRadhzVUWwsWRjT18

I read that at the time the trial was taking place and didn't know what to make of it.
    The article I'm talking about is apparently in todays "The Times- Irish Edition" though.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/bobby-ryan-murder-patrick-quirke-15003734?fbclid=IwAR3Tp72sJHP5GGs2GmXMo7Ol9z8MLiFwT5P0-Z0a8gIRadhzVUWwsWRjT18
    I'm glad that Michelle Ryan was the one to say that, because it seemed unfair to speculate along those lines.

To all of those saying that nobody should comment if they hadn't attended the trial, this woman did attend all of the trial and has a greater investment in the findings than any of us. Sadly, I think she is correct. Very little of the jury's verdict makes much sense without the prospect that Patrick Quirke, if guilty, did not act alone.

It's very hard to know. I was totally confused with Ryan Jr's testimony above at the time of the trial. Is it that the family are just searching for the full complete story? WILL anyone else be charged with some related crime now that Quirke has been convicted?

Still too many questions without answers. I'm not sure we'll ever know - likely little or no hard evidence to charge anyone else, even if they're suspected of being involved in some way.

Still doesn't excuse eegit comments in this thread saying "the jury were wrong"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I dont agree. I think for another person to be involved, it would be fairly far fetched. Could you imagine someone approaching you about knocking another lad off, the possible implications/consequences of carrying that out. And then further down the line, someone talking, sounds crazy to me anyways.

At least if Quirke did it, he had motive, anyone else, it would be just madness. I do agree there is alot more to the story that meets the eye but an accomplice wouldnt be what I was thinking of

I'm glad that Michelle Ryan was the one to say that, because it seemed unfair to speculate along those lines.

To all of those saying that nobody should comment if they hadn't attended the trial, this woman did attend all of the trial and has a greater investment in the findings than any of us. Sadly, I think she is correct. Very little of the jury's verdict makes much sense without the prospect that Patrick Quirke, if guilty, did not act alone.
    If Quirke's motive was to retain financial control over Mary Lowry, that would suggest to me that any accomplice would also benefit financially.

Still doesn't excuse eegit comments in this thread saying "the jury were wrong"
    if you're so convinced about the unassailable righteousness of the jury trial, maybe we should elect our governments on the basis of twelve random voters?

This near-hagiography of the Jury, in an era where media report every major and minor detail of criminal trials, is bewildering.

It's pretty clear someone else was involved.. The van being exhibit A. There is no way Quirke drove that van and didn't leave any DNA evidence of it. So someone else did, who was outside the scope of suspicion

Also looks very strongly that Mary Lowry knew Bobby Ryan was dead going on her reactions. She also perjured herself about the trip to the hotel she "didn't remember" with Quirke after Bobby Ryan went missing. Doesn't mean she was complicit but she at least knew he was dead.

As for her morals, I don't care if half the Tipperary hurling team had sex with her, it's irrelevant, not a crime and her own business, there is something off there.

Quirke could have asked someone to move Bobby Ryan's van who had no idea he had been murdered, possibly that Polish guy who committed suicide?

At least if Quirke did it, he had motive, anyone else, it would be just madness. I do agree there is alot more to the story that meets the eye but an accomplice wouldnt be what I was thinking of

Wouldn't have to have been directly involved- keeping mouth shut, assistance after the event- that sort of thing .

if you're so convinced about the unassailable righteousness of the jury trial, maybe we should elect our governments on the basis of twelve random voters?

This near-hagiography of the Jury, in an era where media report every major and minor detail of criminal trials, is bewildering.

What is your post babbling on about?:confused:

What is your post babbling on about?:confused:
    Show me where you got lost, i'll explain.

I dont agree. I think for another person to be involved, it would be fairly far fetched. Could you imagine someone approaching you about knocking another lad off, the possible implications/consequences of carrying that out. And then further down the line, someone talking, sounds crazy to me anyways.

A big ball of money and a greedy person with few morals, or alternatively someone Quirke had something on, or who owed him money, or pure fear.

He was a rough and brutal man by all accounts, there are several reasons why someone might be an accomplice.

He could have even forced Imelda to help him.

Show me where you got lost, i'll explain.

Sorry i really don't care but thanks for offering- you're talking about electing governments and we're talking about a murder trial outcome:)

Sorry i really don't care but thanks for offering- you're talking about electing governments and we're talking about a murder trial outcome:)

I'd be wasting my time re-explaining my post, isn't that right? I reckon most people understood it, but have a great weekend!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement