Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco won't refund overcharging without returning to store

Options
  • 01-05-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

I bought a product marked 2 for €4 only to be charged the full price of €2.75 each. The offer was not a date limited offer that had expired. I realised later. I contacted Tesco requesting a refund. They replied by telling me to return to the shop where I made the purchase. This shop is not my local store and I was only there because I was passing. The value of my time exceeds what it's worth getting a refund. I requested Tesco post my a voucher or pay the refund by bank transfer. They refused and haven't replied to any subsequent email.

This really annoys me as they often overcharge me on offers that aren't honoured, but the requirement to return to the point of purchase provides a disincentive to follow up. I'm surprised that they're not doing a better job of correcting errors. I'm reluctant to burn more time looking up my rights, but the principle still sticks in the craw.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

It's €1. Is any more effort to try to get this back really worth your time.

Let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Check your receipt before leaving the store next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

why do you keep shopping there if there is often errors with pricing? Have you addressed it with the store manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

devlinio wrote: »
    It's €1. Is any more effort to try to get this back really worth your time.

Let it go.

I think you're right. I'm still surprised that they don't make any effort for the sake of maintaining good will.

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Check your receipt before leaving the store next time!

This is true.

Shame you have to watch the hoors everytime you buy something on special.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    why do you keep shopping there if there is often errors with pricing? Have you addressed it with the store manager?

Just convenience. I've been got at multiple Tesco outlets. The main example is out of date offers still being listed. While the dates of the offers are noted on the pricing labels, it's a pain to have to check them constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You don't have to watch them every time there's an offer.. it's up to you to check you're receipt anytime you buy something. Tesco or not. Most shops have notices displayed saying to check before you leave as mistakes cannot be rectified afterwards. I don't doubt Tesco have this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

boombang wrote: »
    The value of my time exceeds what it's worth getting a refund

It must be very far away, because your time seems to be worth about 3 quid an hour to you.

Not much you can do, except learn to check the next time (yes annoying as F, but what can you actually do) - as said, let it go!

km991148 wrote: »
    It must be very far away, because your time seems to be worth about 3 quid an hour to you.

Not much you can do, except learn to check the next time (yes annoying as F, but what can you actually do) - as said, let it go!

My response to this is not strictly rational in terms of the value of the goods: it's more that I think there's a principle at stake and that shops as shouldn't be able to get away with this so easily.

I do usually check items. I caught Dunnes yesterday and got an item fully refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

id say you could go to a local store... they would sort you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Wesser wrote:
    id say you could go to a local store... they would sort you...

I did this with a purchase and unfortunately they didn't as they said the issue needed to be resolved with the store in question.

I have stopped shopping in Tesco as a result of their poor customer service in these matters. Their phone line customer service is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I don’t think Tesco are unreasonable by asking you to return to the point of purchase. They would expect the error to be verified and corrected at their customer service desk. Otherwise the cost of admin, checking, postage outweighs the value of the possible error.

I think the value of the refund is the niggly bit here. If was €50 I would imagine you would be back there already.

I would forget about it but check receipts always. Tesco are not alone in having this type of issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s a bit odd that they’re asking you to return to the original store. Generally the large chains / multiples can handle returns in any of their stores.

However, there’s nothing legally to say they can’t do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

id say most transactions are card based now and refunds need to be processed on the POS system.

I am only guessing but it would be good practise to not allow other stores to access any of the details needed to refund to your visa card and silo that data, but this would also restrict the ability of a branch to refund a card used in another branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Have you contacted your local public representative?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

dudara wrote: »
    It’s a bit odd that they’re asking you to return to the original store. Generally the large chains / multiples can handle returns in any of their stores.

However, there’s nothing legally to say they can’t do this.

It's not a return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

myshirt wrote: »
    Have you contacted your local public representative?
    Are you serious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Are you serious?

I hope that user is taking the piss.

This is over €1 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

boombang wrote: »
    This is true.

Shame you have to watch the hoors everytime you buy something on special.

Absolutely ever time. They are incompetent fools. Their wine never matches the price below it. Same with many if their other products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I went into one of the smaller convenience stores to pick up a few lunch bits from the deli recently. Thought it was fairly expensive for what I got but never bothered to check the receipt as I was in a rush. Thought no more about it until I found the receipt later on that night. I was over charged by €7. Somehow the girl in the til added 7 peppers at €1 each to my receipt. I was really annoyed but logically it was going to cost me more than the €7 in petrol costs to go back. I can’t believe you’re actually kicking up a fuss over €1. If it’s happening on a regular basis, shop elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They want evidence of the overcharge... surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

As a retailer myself I think that the OP has been hard done by.

Its a reasonable expectation that the prices/offers quoted are those that are actually charged.

If hes been overcharged and can prove it by sending a picture of the receipt then they should refund him pure and simple, if he requests that the refund should be posted to him in the form of a cheque or voucher or coin then that should be done if its not convenient for him to call in.

The fact that it may in this instance cost multiples of the overcharge to do this isnt the fault of the Op.

Sure its only €1 but thats not the point, its the shops error and they should make it right and the Op shouldnt have to jump through hoops to get the money thats rightfully theirs.

The retailer has an obligation to ensure that the price displayed is the same as the price charged, if they dont then they can be fined up to €300 for each instance.

Op if youre not happy with the retailers reply to you, you can contact the CCPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

To be clear, we are talking about EUR 1.50 here. Not EUR 1.

Advertisement