Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashed car parked in estate

Options
  • 01-05-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I purchased a house earlier this year in a 15 year old established estate, I am currently renovating and furnishing it with a view to renting it out. This is my first foray into property and being a landlord. As the fella said you'd want your brains examined to get involved in this but it is what it is.

It is a small estate of 20 houses, one man own's three houses there and he recently let out one house after his previous tenants left. However over the past weekend I have noticed his new tenant has arrived with 12 year old crashed car and parked it up on the access road. It is about attractive as a steaming pile of dogsh1t and really lowers the tone and value of what is a nice middle class estate.

I am recently just after buying into the estate so don't want to rock the boat so to speak but no way will I allow this thing to sit there ad-infinitum. I have noticed the Motor tax has expired on it, I am wondering if I can get the council to tow it away for impounding.

The estate was originally privately ran with Estate Management fees but the council took it over 2 years ago and are now responsible for the access road, lighting etc. So basically it is a public thoroughfare and not private land.

The car also considerably narrows the access road and could be argued to be a hazard for emergency vehicles to attend in the event of a fire or an ambulance being required.

Should I appraoch the guards or council about this? I don't intend to approach the vehicle owner directly or the landlord about this as I can imagine I'll be told to take a running jump.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Report it to the Guards, if its parked in a public place with no tax thats an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

theguzman wrote: »
    However over the past weekend I have noticed his new tenant has arrived with 12 year old crashed car and parked it up on the access road.
    Sounds like it was dumped there. Advise the county council of such. Also, do a quick check if it has insurance displayed. Gardai have a been in their bonnets about lack of insurance lately, so may see this as an easy ticket :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like it was dumped there. Advise the county council of such. Also, do a quick check if it has insurance displayed. Gardai have a been in their bonnets about lack of insurance lately, so may see this as an easy ticket :pac:

I wouldn't say dumped as it not totally wrecked and is repairable, the people use their own driveway for their own cars, but it is rather unceremoniously parked and is an eye sore in my own opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is a phone number in DCC you can call for abandoned cars. Try your local council website or contact a councillor and ask them. This close to an election they would be delighted to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

You can also use the DCC customer service portal to report stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The wont do anything if there are number plates on it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Borderfox wrote: »
    The wont do anything if there are number plates on it

This!

had a semi burnt out car dumped outside my house a few years ago and the council would only remove it when the plates on it blew away in a storm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

basskebab wrote: »
    This!

had a semi burnt out car dumped outside my house a few years ago and the council would only remove it when the plates on it blew away in a storm

That was very lucky the storm came along to blow them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Storm Hannah and all that. :pac:

The car has its number plates as I borrowed a dog to get an excuse to get close enough to it this evening without looking obvious and it is still insured and with valid NCT so certainly isn't dumped or abandoned, it would have a value of maybe €1,500 I'd say. Tax is only recently expired since the end of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

theguzman wrote:
    The car has its number plates as I borrowed a dog to get an excuse to get close enough to it this evening without looking obvious and it is still insured and with valid NCT so certainly isn't dumped or abandoned, it would have a value of maybe €1,500 I'd say. Tax is only recently expired since the end of March.

So what's the point of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wouldn't say dumped as it not totally wrecked and is repairable, the people use their own driveway for their own cars, but it is rather unceremoniously parked and is an eye sore in my own opinion.
    If it's taxed, insured, and has NCT, you could be charged with criminal damage should you interfere with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

12 year old crashed car and parked it up on the access road. It is about attractive as a steaming pile of dogsh1t and really lowers the tone and value of what is a nice middle class estate

How crashed is crashed? I take it that it was driven there, so it can't be that bad.

Is it actually restricting access, or parked illegally?(ie: opposite a junction, near a bend)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

I get where you are coming from. It shouldn't really be there 1, looking a bit crappy 2, and as if you say causing a slight obstical or hindrance 3 -then defo causing a problem in your mind. You'd forgive someone in a bind for a few days even aweek. Try to make coversation and mention the car. See what is said.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lalababa wrote: »
    I get where you are coming from. It shouldn't really be there 1, looking a bit crappy 2, and as if you say causing a slight obstical or hindrance 3 -then defo causing a problem in your mind. You'd forgive someone in a bind for a few days even aweek. Try to make coversation and mention the car. See what is said.

If it's really causing an obstruction, then have a conversation about when it will be moved to somewhere less obstructive. If that doesn't work, complain to the guards/council about the traffic obstruction.

Otherwise, sorry Hyacinth but some people just don't value pretty the way you do. Build a bridge.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Guards won't lift a car for being a month out of date. And that's all you have. Let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Sounds like the OP doesn't like old cheap cars owned by neighbours for "lowering" the tone of the poshness of the estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I lived in an estate a few years ago and my car was involved in a hit and run by an uninsured driver that wrote it off. The car had to be manouevered back to the estate in order for the insurance to collect it. However it took a few weeks for everything to be processed by the guards and sent into the insurance company. Car was taxed, insured and nctd at the time. So maybe give it a little time. It could go for repairs soon or be removed by the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

When I was starting off my working life, I owned a battered old micra and was renting in a nice part of Ranelagh. You'd swear I was parking a piebald in the neighbourhood such was the furore from a small group of residents. Nothing wrong with it, fully taxed and insured, but apparently "it was attracting travellers". I imagine most of them are busy now opposing Metrolink.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if its not roadworthy surely you can get AGS to deal with it, correct docs on display or not.

• Advertisement

I borrowed a dog to get an excuse to get close enough to it this evening without looking obvious

Huh?

Why didnt you just walk up and look at it and if asked tell the person that its an eyesore and you were wondering if it was abandoned?

....... wrote: »
    Huh?

Why didnt you just walk up and look at it and if asked tell the person that its an eyesore and you were wondering if it was abandoned?

Because when nothing is done about it and you go to report it you are then the likely suspect for reporting, you have to suspect someone is an utter and total scumbag likely to retaliate or make life difficult for you.

I know two similar cases in estates albeit not here in a different county. The problem in both was barking and nuisance dogs involving mutual friends of mine.

The first lady in question had asked her neighbours several times to do something about the noise the dog was creating, was told oh it will be sorted etc. and it never was. She ended up bringing dog wardens and eventually had to take the couple to court where a judge finally ruled in her favour, it took months and then she was subjected to a campaign of horrible abuse from them culminating in her tyres of her car being cut one morning. (presumably the did it). Eventually their landlord evicted them as he wanted to increase the rent and they were in arrears, it took that man a good while to evict them also. Anyway from the first day she complained to them (and the falling out) about their noisy dogs to the day they left was almost three years and she said she often felt like a prisoner in her own home.

The second man I knew (brother of the first lady) had new neighbours move in bringing with them two huge and incredibly noisy dogs, this guy had enough of it after two or three weeks but said nothing biding his time and poisoned the two dogs one evening. Of course there was pandemonium by the two next door and he was awful sympathetic to them but he never was a suspect. Farmers poisoning foxes in the fields behind the house got the blame and that crows must have brought the bait over to the backyard.

From these two stories I have learned don't rock the boat and it is better to deal with things discreetly and to avoid making enemies. You just have to assume everyone will be unreasonable and a total scumbag and plan accordingly.

Seems a bit paranoid to assume that looking at a car on a public road will result in you becoming the victim of scumbaggery behaviour.

I cannot agree that poisoning dogs is a better solution than speaking to someone - the guy who poisoned the animals is the animal in that story.

The car vanished sometime this afternoon, was speaking to a neighbour I know there and she said it was loaded onto a Breakdown lorry, presumably it will be repaired or else scrapped. Either way it is gone and it is no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

I feel like this is might be a car worth money and you just see the year and presume it worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lost me at middle class

Mrnew wrote: »
    I feel like this is might be a car worth money and you just see the year and presume it worthless.

I had nothing against the car, it was actually a previously valuable German marque but it looked terrible due to the crash damage on it and it was the first thing you see when you drive into the estate. I was having visions of this guy letting it there or worse still attempting to fix it himself there and turning the place into his own DIY garage scrapyard. You would be surprised at the sort of absolute rubbish people would draw around if they were allowed get away with it.

An uncle of mine owns a house in another estate around 10km away. Anyway a woman there started going out with a fella who would routinely park his tractor and slurry spreader in the common area, My uncle had the place let out and lives abroad but I was collecting the rent for him etc, anyway his tenants and a few of the neighbours were raging over it, due to unsightly nature and smell and effluent dropping off it. They were told it wasn't being tolerated and he had better find somewhere else to park it.

He stopped parking it there and found an out of the way place after that but I think it was only for it being the fact that a Guard's wife was one of the women most upset by it, and he was afraid of them. However it was such sheer ignorance to even do that in the first place, bringing a tractor and slurry spreader into a residential area, you'd forgive a once off but having it there as often as that was horrendous. He lived about 15kms away but would often be contracting in the surrounding countryside of the estate and would bring the tractor and slurry spreader in there letting it there for evenings and weekends etc. until it was stopped.

Lost me at middle class

The car in its condition and age just screamed of welfare class estate and unemployed boyracer ready to do doughnuts at any time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement