Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised target shooting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

tac foley wrote: »
    'Ranges are fairly scattered, the closest one to my house is about 1 hour. I don't know why anybody would go to the trouble of driving to a range to zero a .22LR.'

I have to give the odd chuckle when I read about the difficulties some of you find trying to locate a nearby range. Back home in Canada my local range - on the Eastern outskirts of Ottawa - is almost 200 miles away. All you have to do is get in a car, leave home, put in a CD and before it's over, you've arrived at the range........ :)

As for not zeroing a .22LR [that seems to be almost beneath contempt to you], are you publicly stating that you'd go buy a rifle, and use it on live animals, without knowing where it actually shot to?

That, Sir, is as near as darnit criminal.

I think he means its easy to zero a .22 at home so no reason to drive to a range for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ganmo wrote: »
    now to throw a cat among the pigeons
    if someone was caught firing at a target on ground, would they or the land owner be responsible?
    They would.

The land owner can plead ignorance, say your trespassing, and unless he is shooting with you will have committed no offence.
    I have been shooting targets for a long time, the idea that this is now illegal is just mind boggling.
    Not really "just now", it's been for over a decade, but i get ya.
    Ranges are fairly scattered, the closest one to my house is about 1 hour.
    They can be money holes and definitely are time sinks. Worse than being an RFD.
    I don't know why anybody would go to the trouble of driving to a range to zero a .22LR. Mad law altogether.
    I'd imagine most non members wouldn't. The Commissioner's approach make this lot less hassle-some.
    As for the pop up ranges, were they a major issue?
    Couldn't tell ya.

I do know of lads that wanted to start a range, went about doing it the right way and through impatience (allowing shooting before all the i's were dotted and t's cross) were shut down and then the biggest one was a group of lads shooting away in the mountains on a regular basis and then posting about it on social media.

That got them a cease and desist writ with the warning of fines/prison if they continued.
    I never heard of anything like that before.
    They were not exactly prolific, but it involved guns so, you know, won't someone think of the chlidren. :rolleyes:
    Even still, if somebody set up a temporary range on their land, how is that causing an issue?
    Unauthorised range, and hence target shooting outside of such. Both of which are offences against the act.

If you mean what harm in so much as "sure what harm", then i suppose it could be argued that there are a lack of sufficient backstops, no trained ROs/RCOs, safety officers (a lot of people walking around with/using gun), no flags in the surrounding area to notify walkers of shooting or where the danger zone is, no insurance, etc, etc.

I can see the need for ranges, but some of the laws are an ass and the zeroing one is close to the top of the list for me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As for the pop up ranges, were they a major issue? I never heard of anything like that before. Even still, if somebody set up a temporary range on their land, how is that causing an issue?

It wasn't that sort of an issue.I think it was more lads going to some local spot,or using some spot on their land and fireing away hundreds of rounds a weekend and there not being sufficent backstops or saftey features,so rounds could be going anywhere.
    It is intresting to note this wasnt a problem until CF handguns and rifles started to make a comeback in 2006.Then with paranoia of IPSC and all that,I suppose the case of "IRA and criminals using this...."excuse hit in again with then Min Mc Dowell who wrote this legislation....Proably while doodleing on his notepad on some idle Wednes day in the Dail.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

'Ranges are fairly scattered, the closest one to my house is about 1 hour. I don't know why anybody would go to the trouble of driving to a range to zero a .22LR.'

I have to give the odd chuckle when I read about the difficulties some of you find trying to locate a nearby range. Back home in Canada my local range - on the Eastern outskirts of Ottawa - is almost 200 miles away. All you have to do is get in a car, leave home, put in a CD and before it's over, you've arrived at the range........ :)

It's relative. A 2 hour round trip to zero a rifle which would take 5 minutes in the field behind my house. I am not sure what Canada has to do with this really.
    As for not zeroing a .22LR [that seems to be almost beneath contempt to you], are you publicly stating that you'd go buy a rifle, and use it on live animals, without knowing where it actually shot to?

That, Sir, is as near as darnit criminal.

You need to take a step back and read between the lines. Beneath contempt? How rude! How can you insinuate such a thing from my post? Nowhere in my post did I say I would "buy a rifle, use it on live animals, without knowing where it actually shot to". Where did you come up with that? Magician?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yup, I guess it comes over as rude. I'm known to be less than friendly to people who sound to me as though they are trying to find a way to get around the law where they live.

You seemed to be aggrieved that you have to drive a WHOLE hour to get to a rifle range; I was pointing out that where I live some of the year my local rifle range is the width of Ireland away, and we go there and back, AND shoot, in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Even in Germany they changed the laws/rules recently and it is now perfectly in order to fire a few check/zero rounds on your hunting permissions. Maybe the Irish should follow/take that as an example? Most of us are hours away from any range. It is not right to practice on animals which might be the only legal way to check point of impact...
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    Even in Germany they changed the laws/rules recently and it is now perfectly in order to fire a few check/zero rounds on your hunting permissions. Maybe the Irish should follow/take that as an example? Most of us are hours away from any range. It is not right to practice on animals which might be the only legal way to check point of impact...
    edi

Edi - I don't believe that the Garda actually said that shooting to zero on live animals was the way to go, just that in his iggerance there seemed to be no other option, which is, of course plainly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

hedzball wrote: »
    I was once told by a guard you need to zero a rifle on live game only.

True story.

'Hdz
    I was once told by a guard means I was once told by a guart, not this is how I zero my rifle!! Some of the stuff guards have told me over the years should never be repeated. Just because they are guards don't make them smart. In my experience :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Back to the point. Who is going to travel an hour to zero a rifle when you have plenty of ground to shoot on?? Not me and honesty I don't think anyone here would either.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I don't think it was the intention of the law to outright forbid people firing a shot at a piece of paper to check zero. I think it was an unintended biproduct of not allowing everyone to open their own private shooting ranges wherever they want. (Then again thinking is not knowing...)
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Who is going to travel an hour to zero a rifle when you have plenty of ground to shoot on?? .

giphy.gif

I prefer to use the range. Known distances, no need to worry about anyone walking up on you, no need to worry about AGS, are you skirting the law, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

ejg wrote: »
    Even in Germany they changed the laws/rules recently and it is now perfectly in order to fire a few check/zero rounds on your hunting permissions. Maybe the Irish should follow/take that as an example?

I'm always very very nervous when the authorities go about changing firearms laws.

Yes, it would be of benefit if they changed the law to allow zeroing outside of an authorised range but what would we lose in the process? You can be sure that they would give with one hand and take away with the other.

In fairness,with what is now written into the guidelines should make this a less of an issue.You can do it so long as it is safe manner and area,and you are not extracting the urine with it either.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Guidelines aren't law and that could all change with a new commissioner and a new set of guidelines.

But yeah, hopefully those instructions in the guidelines will allow a more common sense approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cass wrote: »
    However and again i'm only saying this emphasise the point, there is a big difference between it being legal and AGS turning a blind eye to genuine zeroing.

There's just too much of this ****e in Ireland. Laws are meaningless if they're not enforced and if enforcing them is stupid they need to not be laws. Considering the amount of time and bureaucracy involved in coming up with it all the end result may aswell be written in crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 1349

kowloon wrote: »
    There's just too much of this ****e in Ireland. Laws are meaningless if they're not enforced and if enforcing them is stupid they need to not be laws. Considering the amount of time and bureaucracy involved in coming up with it all the end result may aswell be written in crayon.

This is not by accident. It's called anarcho-tyranny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managerial_state#Anarchy_and_tyranny

Career criminals with dozens of convictions get suspended sentences, but the state reserves the ability to jail you for zeroing a legally held rifle, or posting wrongthink on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

1349 wrote: »
    This is not by accident. It's called anarcho-tyranny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managerial_state#Anarchy_and_tyranny

Career criminals with dozens of convictions get suspended sentences, but the state reserves the ability to jail you for zeroing a legally held rifle, or posting wrongthink on social media.

I wouldn't pay much heed to anything propogated by Samuel f***ing Francis, pal. A horrible racist with twisted ideas of libertarianism.

Stalin,Hitler and Mao had a the odd valid point too.:p

Advertisement