Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farmers should be forced to cut their emissions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is a issue with the measurement of emissions. If Saudi Arabia produces oil and we burn it in Ireland then we get the emissions counted in Ireland, which is fair enough as those who get the benefit of the consumption get the emissions. But if a person in Germany eats Irish cheese (see the reports on Kerrygold sales during the week) then the emissions are counted in Ireland, not Germany.
    If Ireland closed all farming and imported all cheese etc then we would have no emissions but the total emissions in the world would not have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I never knew there was folks out there that cared so deeply for cattle's sex life.

It takes all types I suppose.

There is a issue with the measurement of emissions. If Saudi Arabia produces oil and we burn it in Ireland then we get the emissions counted in Ireland, which is fair enough as those who get the benefit of the consumption get the emissions. But if a person in Germany eats Irish cheese (see the reports on Kerrygold sales during the week) then the emissions are counted in Ireland, not Germany.
    If Ireland closed all farming and imported all cheese etc then we would have no emissions but the total emissions in the world would not have changed.

If one burns fossil fuel in Ireland then (the elective) harm done rests largely in Ireland and the Irish environment.

A slice of Dairylea eaten in Hamburg doesn't adversely effect the German environment (bar the transport and disposal of packaging one supposes). The adverse environmental effects of production happened in Ireland.

How the emissions are counted seems fair to me. I think the farming lobby is trying out that line of thinking to get the problem off their doorstep somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i haven't eaten beef in 15 years. I was put off by a tv program about how they are slaughtered. the bse cjd and horse meat scandal put me off beef aswell. there could be 10 different cows in a beef burger just imagine that and even more cows in your lasagna ; )
    im not a vegetarian I eat mainly chicken and fish. beef farming causes more emission in Ireland than all the cars on the road apparently.

buried wrote: »
    There will never be any "wilderness" back up in here, even if people who want to see this scenario and remove the farmers off the land, the powers that govern this island will never allow the land to be turned into some sort of wilderness tree reserve. The climate here is made for grass growth. Highly rich land. If by some crazy chance the farmers and the rural community were actually removed, the government would just hand the land over to large corporations for those outfits to farm the rich land on a huge ranch size corporate effort. Which would result in worse emissions and far more devastation. At least present day farmers have hedges for the wild birds and other wildlife to exist in. That won't happen if some monsanto like entity takes it over. They'll just farm every single square inch of the rich soil. Be careful what you wish for.

You're taking as if you're a kulak and Stalin is coming for you. We have laws in this country and a constitution - relax.

I covered this in another (contentious) thread, but the reality is the overwhelming amount of 'rural' Irish people have very little connection with the land. The live in the middle of a field in a big house, shop in Lidl, and go to work in urban centres via car. We (I'm from bungalowville myself) live like suburban Texans, not some pastoral folk-heros in touch with nature running through the Meadows picking flowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

i haven't eaten beef in 15 years. I was put off by a tv program about how they are slaughtered. the bse cjd and horse meat scandal put me off beef aswell. there could be 10 different cows in a beef burger just imagine that and even more cows in your lasagna ; )
    im not a vegetarian I eat mainly chicken and fish. beef farming causes more emission in Ireland than all the cars on the road apparently.

as a beef farmer id rarely eat a burger and even at that it would be home made from steak minced at request... people should be eating whole cuts of meat, thats the premium product, burgers are a fast food by-product.

again regarding the emmissions, its currently incorrectly recorded as the carbon sequestered into soils and locked there isnt accounted for..

I'm not saying all beef farming is equal... we should absolutely ban feed lot farming where by regulation the cattle cant be out at pasture but must remain indoors until slaughter... this is factory farming USA style and we should absolutely push back against this practice..
    low density pasture reared beef is a premium low impact product, small family farms should be supported above factory farms, that is how we control emmissions from beef farming AND continue to produce a premium product...

The pasture fed brand emerging in the UK is a great move and it should be embraced here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

RobertKK wrote: »
    Will the vegans help eat all the cattle that are needed to be killed to reduce methane emissions? Or are they just all talk about the environment those who go vegan for climate reasons but then don't plan on doing anything to reduce cattle numbers, cattle will need to be killed to reduce overall numbers. Should existing cattle be denied a sex life because they breed more cattle when they want sex and they want a baby which they want? To me that would be animal cruelty.

tl/dr: Vegans are not eating cattle which helps increase emissions from cattle, and promote animal cruelty by wanting cattle who want a sex life and offspring to be denied it.

Utterly bizarre post

The whole "take back the land" comments here are both hillarious and stupid, posters are just embarrasing themselves now

Why dont you give your house over to the state and let them home some addicts and criminals in it with you ?? No ?? No, its your private property and cant be taken from you..

Farmland is the same, its private property paid for by the owners, it cannot be taken back in some sort of communist style rebellion to plant forestry... I'm all for native natural continuous canopy forestry, but farmers must be compensated and paid to manage this resource for the nation... I'd welcome a proper scheme where payments are on the lifetime of the forestry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I heard something about mixing seaweed into cattle feed and that is supposed to stop them farting so much.

Anyone know anything about it?

Does it work for humans too?

Their burps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I wasn't thinking about tourism for a second. It doesn't have to be about money all the time although that's all that seems to matter in Ireland. It's just wrong for the whole island to be a farm. We have hardly any national parks or woodland cover.
    How about we just leave some of the country alone and let it replenish. If you google river pollution in Ireland it's just shocking, the amount of spillages and toxic waste that gets into our rivers, farming is often involved.
    When I was a kid in the 80s there were so many different types of bees and insects that we used to collect in jars. These are all disappearing.
    Salmon aren't coming back to spawn here any more. Would you blame them!

A lot of what you're saying is unfounded but this leaped out.
    Majority, and I mean 90%, of water pollution comes from domestic and industrial waste water, predominately town sewerage going directly into waterways, the department of the marine have rated this

Farmers have strict exclusion zones around waterways for slurry and pesticides, very heavily policed.

You mentioned forestry, we're at a 350 year high
    around 7% of the country's land. I would completely disagree with how we've done it, f**king spruce trees are the bane of the country

Irish farmers are incentivised to move towards more sustainable farming but we're being compared to European farmers who have no livestock, its not a realistic picture.

The expansion in dairy has led to a decrease in emissions, cross bred dairy cows are lighter than traditional beef herds.

You're talking about letting Ireland grow wild, such nonsense, where does that argument stop? Cars are dirty so lets move back to horses, same with the combustion engine, lets move back from there? Where do we stop?

How about we tackle the problem in front of us instead of nonsensical suggestions.

Ireland is THE most efficient and green country in the world to produce beef and dairy, the Origin Green project is a massive success coupled with our grass based diet. We should be growing our agricultural industries as we can do it better than any other country in the world.

If you're free sometime I'll tell you how to teach music, of course I know nothing about it but sure why would I let that stop me

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Oh do blame the cows. Not the million of gas burning vehicles used everyday or the oil/gas that's used to heat homes, the peat burned to keep the electricity going in your house. No it's all those cows that's are the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lfc200 wrote: »
    Ration the amount of beans that a farmer can consume in your grand plan?
    Ration the amount of buses that a farmer can consume is his grand plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Oh do blame the cows. Not the million of gas burning vehicles used everyday or the oil/gas that's used to heat homes, the peat burned to keep the electricity going in your house. No it's all those cows that's are the problem.

Exactly - we should probably cut back on flights as much as possible but that will never happen - there worth too much €€€€€ and that's the bottom line

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Unearthly wrote: »
    Utterly bizarre post

Of course it is utterly bizarre.

People who go vegan for climate change reasons would need many hundreds of millions of cattle slaughtered around the world. Some of these people make out farming is cruel but they are in fact advocating the mass slaughter of cows, sheep, pigs, chickens and other animals and birds like never seen before in the history of mankind since in their utopia there would be no need for these animals and birds to be alive as there would be no one to eat them.
    I never hear vegans talk about the final solution for all these animals and birds.

So what do people who talk about the climate and the need for everyone to go plant based because producing meat and dairy for human consumption is somehow cruel and the need to cut to emissions from farms, want done with all the animals and birds that would need to be slaughtered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Of course it is utterly bizarre.

People who go vegan for climate change reasons would need many hundreds of millions of cattle slaughtered around the world. Some of these people make out farming is cruel but they are in fact advocating the mass slaughter of cows, sheep, pigs, chickens and other animals and birds like never seen before in the history of mankind since in their utopia there would be no need for these animals and birds to be alive as there would be no one to eat them.
    I never hear vegans talk about the final solution for all these animals and birds.

So what do people who talk about the climate and the need for everyone to go plant based because producing meat and dairy for human consumption is somehow cruel and the need to cut to emissions from farms, want done with all the animals and birds that would need to be slaughtered?

are you seriously this thick?

• Advertisement

can someone tell me why we had to pay for cattle feed last summer? didn't farmers run out of food for cows after it was sunny for 2 weeks? does that not maybe indicate there are too many cows here?

I can see it now, aggressive cows stalking the streets of our towns and cities, smoking fags on street corners and licking innocent passers-by without fear of repercussion.

We need tougher laws to deal with these scumbag cows the people will cry! My taxes paying for these bovine good-for-nothings while work 47 hours a day and coummute 4 days each way!

There is zero credible evidence that the population planet wide could be sustained by vegan lifestyle.

We have some vegan funded research but that’s not credible because it’s biased based on a religious like belief system. It’s as likely it would result in a massive planet wide famine.

From a farming perspective I see three important points.

1, escalate the current research on the actual carbon stance regarding farming where it properly accounts for carbon sequestration, do like Australia and offer financial supports for the systems that best sequester carbon.

2, get animals into natural environments, end cage farming, move pigs to outdoor rearing and bam feedlots for cattle, this improves animal welfare and the lower stocking densities reduce impacts.

3, proper approach to forestry. Currently the only winners are the forestry companies who after a weeks work walk away with a wad of cash and the rest of us are left with poor quality forestry. Natural native species only for payments, with continuous canopy management, payments for the lifetime of the forestry.

can someone tell me why we had to pay for cattle feed last summer? didn't farmers run out of food for cows after it was sunny for 2 weeks? does that not maybe indicate there are too many cows here?

Yes let's get rid of all the cows. That'll fix all the problems.

Yes let's get rid of all the cows. That'll fix all the problems.

Maybe some of them. Why do we need 7 million if we export 90%?

• Advertisement

It feeds people and brings in much needed money to rural areas of the economy.

It feeds people and brings in much needed money to rural areas of the economy.

Do you think we should put a cap on how many cows we have in Ireland or should it keep expanding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

It was more than sunny for 2 weeks.the lack of rainfall burnt everything to a crisp.I'm lucky here in my place in most yrs grow grass to beat the band but even by mid July I was struggling and had to use silage I had cut in early June.the dairying side of farming has expanded but its compensated by a reduction in the suckler herd on the other side.all this dairy expansion will die away in a while.there are lads getting into milking cows that never did before.a few yrs of hard work and they will be gone again.to be a dairy farmer u have to be brought up in it.its a tough gig but after the springtime its not too bad if u can get away from it for breaks once u have a decent setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

whats your alternative income source for these people? let me guess, universal basic income?

boggerman1 wrote: »
    It was more than sunny for 2 weeks.the lack of rainfall burnt everything to a crisp.I'm lucky here in my place in most yrs grow grass to beat the band but even by mid July I was struggling and had to use silage I had cut in early June.the dairying side of farming has expanded but its compensated by a reduction in the suckler herd on the other side.all this dairy expansion will die away in a while.there are lads getting into milking cows that never did before.a few yrs of hard work and they will be gone again.to be a dairy farmer u have to be brought up in it.its a tough gig but after the springtime its not too bad if u can get away from it for breaks once u have a decent setup

So obviously I'm clueless with this stuff - but the part of Spain I go to every year is pretty much dry from about now until October or so. They seem to manage their water quite well there, canals going through farms etc.
    Why isn't this an issue in far dryer places than here?

whats your alternative income source for these people? let me guess, universal basic income?

I don't have one - but can we really just keep growing the dairy and beef industry? Is it sustainable to do so?

Do you think we should put a cap on how many cows we have in Ireland or should it keep expanding?

Ireland was built on farming. That is not going to change anytime soon. Can I ask why you've a problem with cattle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

So obviously I'm clueless with this stuff - but the part of Spain I go to every year is pretty much dry from about now until October or so. They seem to manage their water quite well there, canals going through farms etc.
    That's Spain.we in Ireland normally don't get a summer like last yr every year.although it might become the norm.if we get a repeat this yr it will be worse than 18 for everyone,not just farmers.the rainfall since last summer hasn't been over and above average.I see in my local area river and streams very low to average at best.farming in Ireland is an outdoor job.house for winter out by early march in the south to early April up west/north.

Because what we experienced last year was rare. We don't get many dry spells so we don't need canals to carry water or major reservoirs where Spain is quite a dry country and does need this infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

You would be a lot safer eating Irish beef than chicken or fish. You would never really catch someone farming chickens that would consume their own product. Chicken and pig farming is grotesque in relation to beef where the livestock has been pasture reared

• Advertisement

The problem is this:
    Farms need to keep getting bigger and more intense since cost of living, inputs and so on rise but the price the farmer is paid doesn't change much year to year, sometimes good, sometimes very bad.
    This encourages farms to get bigger to be more efficient.

What is encouraging more and more cows and cattle in general is a system that is making family farms less and less viable.
    If we want to put a cap on things, then more needs to be done to encourage and support less intensive farming while making it a viable option.
    The government's agricultural plan is to increase food exports, to increase intensification and reduce overall farmer numbers because this is where it all leads to currently- less farmers but more cattle.

There are no real long term measures to support less intensive and thus less viable operations which are most likely the best for the environment.
    The policies push for further intensification.

Why would anyone get into the business these days? It sounds like a nightmare.

Why would anyone get into the business these days? It sounds like a nightmare.

Most farms are family run so they've grown up with it and don't know anything else. We used to have a farm but lease all the land/sheds to neighbours.

It is profitable if you treat it like an actual business and not something on the side. A lot of smaller farmers have full time jobs. They usually keep the farm to get the subsidies or just to keep the farm in the family.

People like the hard graft. It's what they've grown up with.

Most farms are family run so they've grown up with it and don't know anything else. We used to have a farm but lease all the land/sheds to neighbours.

It is profitable if you treat it like an actual business and not something on the side. A lot of smaller farmers have full time jobs. They usually keep the farm to get the subsidies or just to keep the farm in the family.

People like the hard graft. It's what they've grown up with.

Would you want your kids to get into it?

Thats actually a really complex question...

As a previous posted shown in the figures we're not really adding many new cows but rather we are changing the profile of cows from beef herds to dairy herds..
    I think this is a good move overall, dairy is a vastly more profitable business, problem is it needs large farms, so we're seeing more and more dairy in parts of the country where farms are large and land is good, other parts like Cavan and Leitrim are seeing essentially no growth in dairy cow numbers as the farms are small and land is poor so dairy doesnt do well..

It is however another "issue" with far more dairy based calves now calving down each year we're increasing live shipments, not popular with many, personally I think we should be developing a veal and rose veal industry here to add value, create jobs and export the quality veal as a finished chilled product, but there is a reluctsnce in farming circles to get into veal as there would be a public backlash against slaughter of young calves..

Many of the dairy calves are suitable for beef and many farms have dropped beef cows and rear these dairy beef calves and they are slaughtered into the food chain here at approx 2 years, its as profitable as suckler farming at present and easier to manage on marginal lands, again i feel more work needs to be done here, we could improve these calves further and then shring beef cow numbers substabtially, replacing their beef with beef raised from the dairy calves as they improve in quality.

I thnk with proper managment we can grow our profitable dairy industry and have a decent beef industry without increasing overall cow numbers significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

paw patrol wrote: »
    farming feeds us. it should be the very last thing to be taxed.
    plenty more luxuries out there to curtail - not tax cos I believe most tax is theft as it's wasted on utter sh1te
    it feeds us, but what we eat is a massive, massive waste. Meat accounts for 17% of food eaten by humans and over 80% of all food consumed worldwide goes to making it (i.e. feeding the animals). Whatever way you look at it, meat is a luxury that is very costly both in resources and carbon emissions.

Would you want your kids to get into it?

Its a surprisingly enjoyable lifestyle, I appreciate you probably dont understand that but it is, caring for animals, seeing them happy and thriving is a great thrill, its part of human nature to work with domesticated animals, i feel people are loosing out by not being connected to farms where their food comes from, its natural..

My kids spend some time on the farm, one loves it, the other not so much, in time I can see much more horses than cattle but each generation does what it sees best, we don't do what my father did.. They are involved with rearing calves which sell for beef, chickens for our own eggs and pigs for our own table. We grow small amounts of fruit and veg too.

_Brian wrote: »
    Its a surprisingly enjoyable lifestyle, I appreciate you probably dont understand that but it is, caring for animals, seeing them happy and thriving is a great thrill, its part of human nature to work with domesticated animals, i feel people are loosing out by not being connected to farms where their food comes from, its natural..

My kids spend some time on the farm, one loves it, the other not so much, in time I can see much more horses than cattle but each generation does what it sees best, we don't do what my father did.. They are involved with rearing calves which sell for beef, chickens for our own eggs and pigs for our own table. We grow small amounts of fruit and veg too.

I don't really eat beef, or dairy any more, once in a blue moon. If I were to see animals being slaughtered I'd probably never eat any animal product again.
    I do grow as much veg as my tiny back garden allows me to though.

Cina wrote: »
    it feeds us, but what we eat is a massive, massive waste. Meat accounts for 17% of food eaten by humans and over 80% of all food consumed worldwide goes to making it (i.e. feeding the animals). Whatever way you look at it, meat is a luxury that is very costly both in resources and carbon emissions.

The majority of soy etc that goes into animal feed is the byproduct of the human food chain, if were going to have a conversation at least have an honest one based on facts..

if we supported a 100% pasture based beef production scheme I'd be happier, but the feedstuff you mention in the 80% would still be produced as its primary use is human foodchain.

• Advertisement

I don't really eat beef, or dairy any more, once in a blue moon. If I were to see animals being slaughtered I'd probably never eat any animal product again.
    I do grow as much veg as my tiny back garden allows me to though.

Slaughter of animals to feed people is a natural thing, yes modern society now live in a way that most never see an animal killed, once its done humainely and the animal has been well treated all its life then its a perfectly natural process.

I don't want everyone to like it, or everyone to eat meat. I want everyone to have a choice and not be abused or belittled for making their choice, there is currently a narritive backed by big business to demonise meat eaters..

This is being done as the one thing they can't churn out in their factory vats is a good cut of beef or meat. They want however to drive the population to eating they hyper processed muck which consumes vase amounts of chemicals, energy, transport and indeed soy that people hate to see grown for animal feeds.. This is being done to further commercialise and control the food supply chain, to hand it over to larger and larger comglomerates, this is not a good thing.

I don't want everyone to like it, or everyone to eat meat. I want everyone to have a choice and not be abused or belittled for making their choice, there is currently a narritive backed by big business to demonise meat eaters..

In fairness, look at the abuse vegans get. They seem to be despised.

In fairness, look at the abuse vegans get. They seem to be despised.

Their intolerance of other is.

Where farmers are happy to let vegans do their own thing.
    Extremist Vegans are not, they demonise and despise farmers, abuse and demean their way of life. Protesting on private property which is actually trespassing.

If all vegans went quiet and left everybody to their own personal lifestyle choices they would be forgotten quickly. Quicker than they would like to beleive actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You've ignored my previous email which went through the actual facts, it also offered to teach you music, quid pro quo and all that

Last year we had a partial drought from May 28th to July 25th and a full drought from June 18th to July 14th. Other countries work with summer long droughts because they are expected, we in Ireland do not expect a drought. In much the same way Dublin doesn't have gondolas but sometimes the streets are flooded.

I suspect at this stage you've realised that you dont have a notion about what you're talking about and that some other posters do but you're either too stubborn or too stupid to admit that or at least walk away. Good luck with that,probably comes from being a teacher

I've already answered your question on whether we should grow our agriculture sector but here you go again
    Green&Red wrote: »

Ireland is THE most efficient and green country in the world to produce beef and dairy, the Origin Green project is a massive success coupled with our grass based diet. We should be growing our agricultural industries as we can do it better than any other country in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The cows goto places that don't have the room or climate for cows.
    are you seriously this thick?
    If cows were not needed, they'd be killed off so that the land that they're on now could be used to grow plants. You'd see them in a zoo, but there's no reason for them to exist other than meat and dairy.

Green&Red wrote: »
    You've ignored my previous email which went through the actual facts, it also offered to teach you music, quid pro quo and all that

Last year we had a partial drought from May 28th to July 25th and a full drought from June 18th to July 14th. Other countries work with summer long droughts because they are expected, we in Ireland do not expect a drought. In much the same way Dublin doesn't have gondolas but sometimes the streets are flooded.

I suspect at this stage you've realised that you dont have a notion about what you're talking about and that some other posters do but you're either too stubborn or too stupid to admit that or at least walk away. Good luck with that,probably comes from being a teacher

I've already answered your question on whether we should grow our agriculture sector but here you go again

My comment on river pollution was down to every time I read about spillages and fish stocks being destroyed in rivers, it always seems to involve farmers.
    I struggle, I make f*ck all. I don't go demanding more money or better systems in place for music teachers. I do it because I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Their intolerance of other is.

Where farmers are happy to let vegans do their own thing.
    Vegans are not, they demonise and despise farmers, abuse and demean their way of life. Protesting on private property which is actually trespassing.

This attitude towards vegans is a huge issue - it's a generalization and another form of discrimination, like saying Muslims are all terrorists!

You probably know loads of Vegetarians and Vegans - you know them, but you don't actually realize they are Vegetarians / Vegans. Most of them do not protest or push their personal choices in other peoples faces. It's only a minority that do such things but then you go and group us all into the same category.

I'm a vegan, have been since I was a child and I don't care what other people eat meat or not. My own children are not vegan/vegetarian and I never pushed them towards my personal choices (though I explained why, but only when asked). I even cooked them dinners regularly with chicken etc., though it was an unpleasant task for me, I didn't want to restrict their diet based on what I liked vs what they liked.

the_syco wrote: »
    The cows goto places that don't have the room or climate for cows.

If cows were not needed, they'd be killed off so that the land that they're on now could be used to grow plants. You'd see them in a zoo, but there's no reason for them to exist other than meat and dairy.

Well would you rather never exist or just be bred to be kept pregnant the whole time for dairy or to be slaughtered for meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Patrick Quirke should have cut back on his emissions

Edgware wrote: »
    Patrick Quirke should have cut backon his emissions

apparently he was quite the playa in the dairy industry (as well as with the ladies wink wink)

Well would you rather never exist or just be bred to be kept pregnant the whole time for dairy or to be slaughtered for meat?

Firstly a bit of housekeeping..
    pregnant referrs to humans, cows are "in calf", its different, we should never use human terms for animals, its inappropriate and demeans humans.

In the wild cows would be in calf just the same amount, they come into heat typically 28/30 days after calving down and the nearest bull would put her in calf immeditaly, actually modern farming prevents allot of inbreeding that would occur in the wild producing malformed and weak calves destin to die as the herd couldnt tend to their needs..

Farmers typically give the cow a break to build reserves and to control their calving date to a suitable time, so actually they spend a lower % of their life in calf on a farm than they would if thewy were wild creatures.

Its not like lots of cows choose not to have calves in the wild but are forced into calf on farms, its just part of their natural cycle, its natural.

For the most they live happy content lives on farms, farms thrive on healthy happy animals, sick unhappy animals are poor producers and overall herd health will decline..

Farmers care for livestock, its a big myth perpretrated by the opposition that they abuse animals.. only monsters do that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement