Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

height of trees/bushes at front of property?

Options
  • 01-05-2019 7:28pm

Hello

is there a limit on the height you can let trees/bushes ,forming a boundary effectively, grow to at the front of the house?

Regular semi d house in the city, neighbors trees and hedges almost same height as the roof. She wont agree to cut them down a bit (we asked her some time ago)

Thanks for advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AFAIK unlike a wall the bushes can be as high as they like.

AFAIK unlike a wall the bushes can be as high as they like.

Thats what I suspected, unfortunately ..

ah well, shes getting in in years, with a bit of luck they will sell up and retire off to shady pines soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if they would agree if YOU paid for the trimming, cutting down? Just a suggestion as I don't know the dynamic of what's really going on here.

Best of luck anyway.

I wonder if they would agree if YOU paid for the trimming, cutting down? Just a suggestion as I don't know the dynamic of what's really going on here.

Best of luck anyway.

No....we offered.

Shes very argumentatative and unpleasant, has fallen out with everyone in the cul de sac. So, roll on Shady pines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No....we offered.

Shes very argumentatative and unpleasant, has fallen out with everyone in the cul de sac. So, roll on Shady pines :)

Any part of the tree over your property line you can cut down, you have to return the cut bits to the owner. If you cut the branches at the wrong time you could kill the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No....we offered.

That made me smile. My late mother spent her last days recently in a wonderful place and she called it Shady Pines, due to her love of the Golden Girls series. Thanks for the memories.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Any part of the tree over your property line you can cut down, you have to return the cut bits to the owner. If you cut the branches at the wrong time you could kill the tree.

We always trim the bits that come over our side. One year I asked her if her gardener (she has 2 fellas who do all her gardening work for her) could take the green waste from 'her' bushes and trees with him to dispose of.

She basically told me to feck off, it was my problem, her guy wasnt going to take the offcuts, despite the foliage being hers.

As I have said, an unpleasant witch who wont be missed from this street!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i would imagine you can put down whatever anti foliage agent you like in your own garden.

funny how roots dont respect boundaries! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i would imagine you can put down whatever anti foliage agent you like in your own garden.

funny how roots dont respect boundaries! :)

You imagine wrong.

https://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Certain herbicides will kill trees, if they are Leylandii and it was my situation I'd cut them down and let her be whingeing away, shoot first and ask questions later so to speak, nothing more disgusting or anti-social to plant than Leylandii. you are entitled to your daylight as well as she is.

If they are close to the road you can contact the council and report them as being dangerous and overhanging the road and they might enforce a tree safety notice on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

theguzman wrote: »
    Certain herbicides will kill trees, if they are Leylandii and it was my situation I'd cut them down and let her be whingeing away, shoot first and ask questions later so to speak, nothing more disgusting or anti-social to plant than Leylandii. you are entitled to your daylight as well as she is.

If they are close to the road you can contact the council and report them as being dangerous and overhanging the road and they might enforce a tree safety notice on her.

Great way to get charged with criminal damage; really poor suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Marcusm wrote: »
    Great way to get charged with criminal damage; really poor suggestion.

I wasn't suggesting the OP do it however it is what I'd do myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

theguzman wrote: »

That could be a costly mistake.

It's only a couple of years since that approach cost a couple 49k + costs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Graham wrote: »
    That could be a costly mistake.

It's only a couple of years since that approach cost a couple 49k + costs.

There was a civil court case a few years back over a guy who cut his neighbours trees. He ended up with ~70k judgement against him :eek:

There are some civil actions you can take if you have live there long enough but wont be cheap even if you have a case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I suspect we're referring to the same case Rew.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Graham wrote: »
    I suspect we're referring to the same case Rew.

Up Kilternan or 3 Rock way as far as I remember. Thought it was harsh my self but it was a seriously risky move to bull on and chop them.

There are nice views in my area and it deeply saddens me when I look around and see how many people around go out of their way to block them for others. There is privacy and there is obnoxious.

It amazing that you cant build a wall in the front over ~1.2m and over ~2m in the back but you can grow a 5m hedge or 25m tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rew wrote: »
    It amazing that you cant build a wall in the front over ~1.2m and over ~2m in the back but you can grow a 5m hedge or 25m tree.

There are lots of tall trees (e.g. birch, many eucalyptus) that don't cause problems even when planted close the a boundary, so it's quite difficult to come up with legislation which stops the Lleylandii problem whilst allowing people to enjoy birch-like trees in medium sized gardens.

But if I had to propose something, it might be a 1:2 clearance angle over 3m plus some sort of (cheap!) planning permission required for named varieties of tall, dense evergreen.

That way you'd be able to grow a 12m birch 5m from a boundary, which in my experience would be absolutely fine, but if you lived right next to a major road you could apply for permission to plant a cypress since you're bothering nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Del2005 wrote: »

AFAIK the owner doesn't have to take back anything you cut although I suspect most neighbours would. If you trim the trees you may have to dispose of the cuttings.

https://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/ My neighbour’s tree is overhanging into my garden. Do I have the right to prune back the branches?A landowner may cut off any tree branches which over-hangs his/her property without giving notice to the owner of the tree, but may not cut down the tree or enter on to the land of the tree owner without permission. In so doing, the landowner must take care not to render the tree dangerous and may only cut on the side of and up to his/her boundary line. It is unlawful to ring bark or otherwise injure trees in such a manner as to cause them to die or decay. All cuttings must be given back to the owner of the tree, or at least offered back. If the owner of the tree doesn’t want the cuttings, they must be disposed of in a responsible way and should not be left in the tree owner’s property without permission.

Advertisement