Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short term Prednisone use and behaviour change?

• 01-05-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

My preschooler was prescribed 3 days Prednisone for slapped cheek.. it's a week now since he started it but he has had a daily challenging episode since - out of character.. He's very capable of a meltdown but they are seldom - normally. Yet this time, it's been daily. Not only does he have a atrop over not getting his way but he will shout, kick, slam doors and be extremely defiant. It's really taken both of us by surprise. It seems extreme for it to be after 3 days of steroid but I've read that short term use can cause moodswings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Yes it definitely affects behaviour even mentions it in the patient safety leaflet which is meant to be fully read before giving any medication, most people don't seem to read these anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ZiggyBean

My two year old at the time was prescribed them before Christmas for croup, he's a highly strung and very self assertive little man at the best of times but after 2 days OK prednisone he turned wild. Outbursts, meltdowns, unable to fall asleep. Poor child was all over the place after them, after a lot of worried research I discovered that there's a wide range of side effects and some kids definitely react badly to it. I'll be avoiding giving it again at all costs. Hope your little one has come back to himself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

ZiggyBean wrote: »
    My two year old at the time was prescribed them before Christmas for croup, he's a highly strung and very self assertive little man at the best of times but after 2 days OK prednisone he turned wild. Outbursts, meltdowns, unable to fall asleep. Poor child was all over the place after them, after a lot of worried research I discovered that there's a wide range of side effects and some kids definitely react badly to it. I'll be avoiding giving it again at all costs. Hope your little one has come back to himself again.

Good to know he's not the only one. I regret giving it. Just accepted what the doc prescribed. Never again. Yes he's back to normal thankfully. God it was unreal and after only 3 days !!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Always always ask for and read the patient information leaflet for any drug.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I believe steroids send them a bit nuts alright.It seems to be quite a common effect on small kids.We have escaped them so far, so hoping it stays that way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I find giving the steroids first thing in the morning is the best way to avoid the craziness! You might have a couple of hours of mayhem but generally they calm down again by lunchtime/naptime!

Advertisement