Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminding, is this normal?

Options
  • 01-05-2019 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I mind 2 kids in there own home 5 days a week, from 8-6, for €160. Terms weren’t really discussed before I started, and I was desperate. I’m also claiming social welfare. I want to work legitimately but have no qualifications, and haven’t been able to find someone to take me on as a nanny properly. The parents seem to think that because I’m claiming social welfare as well, they can take the p**s with paying me. I get no holiday pay. I could go in tomorrow and just be told oh by the way we don’t need you Friday and I then don’t get paid for Friday. It works out that I get 30 something a day, but I’m docked 40 a day if they cancel me. I could also go in in the morning and be told granny will be over at 2 so I can finish early....docked again. Two or three evenings every week they are late home, anything from 20 mins to an hour. First few times they said sorry but they don’t even apologize anymore, and I never get extra pay to compensate. I know I have no rights since I’m working cash in hand, but am I being unreasonable expecting to be treated a bit better than this? I absolutely hate confrontation but I’m thinking of talking to them to see if I could get more favorable terms but don’t want to sound greedy if this is the norm.

Advertisement