Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bed Wetting at night

• 01-05-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi parents
    Looking for advice ,my daughter is 5 in June and we took her out of nappies at nighttime the other day .we have left potty beside her bed to use but she won’t get up and use it and keeps wetting the bed .we have restricted her drinks before bed .she said to me but I’m too tired to get up .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lolococo

That is quite normal as they progress from night time pull ups. Suggest you use bed mats/pads under sheets. You get them in same area as pull ups in shops.

Insist they go to toilet before going to bed. You may have to lift them out to toilet before you go to bed. They will get the hang of it eventually.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

This is not her fault.

In order for the brain to realise the bladder is full at night the ADH hormone needs to be at a high enough level. for some this does not kick in until the child attains the age 6-7 years.

The worse thing you can do is shout, give or punish. This is completely out of her control.

Put pull-ups on her and for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

We've only just recently passed this milestone. It will happen eventually, to help the process along...no drinks after 7pm and we usually brought our son (half asleep) to the toilet when we were going to bed, ran the tap and he'd wee, eventually he started going by himself. I really wouldn't force it, if you've no daytime issues then it will happen in it's own time.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I would say you might need to give her a bit of time to get used to the new change.

Was there a reason she's been in nappies until now at night time? Habits could have been formed along the way with her getting used to the nappy absorption so she doesn't feel wet. Assuming that she got daytime potty trained a few years ago it's expecting a lot to think that she will get the hang of getting up to pee in the night in a couple of days. You can't just whip off the nappy and leave her to it. She needs the same training that you would have given her before when she was potty training. So, restrict drinks after 6pm, make sure she uses the toilet last thing, lift her for a dream wee before you go to bed, and keep reassuring her that she's doing well with gentle reminders that when she feels like she needs a wee, to remember to get up.

For practicality, layer the bed with layers of sheet> old towel> waterproof sheet a few times. That way when she wets one, you can whip it off and there's a dry new sheet ready underneath and will save you rooting through your hot press for the right size sheet at 3am.

Have a rethink about the potty idea as well. Doing the training in bite sizes like this means that you'll only have to train her then to make it from the potty to the loo at a later stage. Maybe it's best to rip the band-aid off at once and get her used to getting up in the night to use the toilet, not the potty.

Some kids are just bed wetters. Others sleep so deeply that they dream they are getting up to go to the toilet and only wake up when they think they are on the dream loo and actually pee the bed. For others it can be the hormone is still immature. It may be none of the above and she's just a kid capable of night dryness with the right support and encouragement and a bit of time to get used to the new routine.

If you are potty training from scratch for both day and night I've an excellent 3 day method booklet that I can send you. But if it's only night training you are doing then it probably won't be all that useful.

Advertisement