Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Lads after that result I think it's safe to say that we'll walk the league this year.

Maximum points in the league this season, obvs.

Though we may nearly bottle it by dropping 2 points at the Etihad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Glatzel, Origi & Duncan

GOD there is a front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Glatzel, Origi & Duncan

PG and Duncan scored 60 between them last season. Quite the duo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

8-10 wrote: »
    Glatzel, Origi & Duncan

PG and Duncan scored 60 between them last season. Quite the duo
    Let's get ready to rumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very enjoyable watch, Tranmere were shocking but there was a real sharp flow to our football in each half.
    Kent, Brewster and few others look good, be great if a few of these lads could break into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's nice to see that the young lads all look like proper footballers. Gliding around the field, all with lots of pace and skill. Huge step forward in quality from what we often saw in pre-season kid appearances. Like, just compare the way someone like Randall moved with how our new gen of defenders moved today. Totally night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

noodler wrote: »
    The thrust of almost any post about him has been quite clear.

Surpassed expectations.

Happy for him to stay.

Unlikely to make the contribution he did next season with the same gametime.

Need someone else between him and the front three as starters.

There's no reason why he can't make a similar contribution next season. He 100% deserves this and I'm sure he'll continue to demonstrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

typical friendly, take it as a pinch of salt. The reality is we need some experienced players in, i don't understand why we have not made a move yet. We lost the league last year due to the subs bench, we got lucky in a few games and our 1 point 2nd place flattered us. We need a strong midfielder a very decent striker as back up, a winger would be nice, central defender, happy enough with Matip but a good back up option would be nice. City bring top players off the bench, we do not, this is the difference.

We lost the league last year due to the subs bench,

Nah don't believe this at all. The lucky extra point or two you mention was down to our subs bench. Milner and Henderson changed the game off the bench against Southampton as a double change. Origi won us points from the bench against Everton. Sturridge rescued a point with a wonder goal against Chelsea a few mins after coming on. And we won the Champions League because of subs like Firmino v PSG who got a late winner and Wijnaldum on at half time v Barcelona to score twice.

Those are just off the top of my head. I think the shiny new player is what the fans need. The squad is one of the best around and the important thing is to have players like above who come on to play for the team rather than expensive players who are annoyed about being benched. I don't think many of City's close games were decided by subs compared to ours last season but happy for you to correct me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well, I guess we know what stick will be used to beat Klopp with if we drop any points early in the season.

New signings innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's nice to see that the young lads all look like proper footballers. Gliding around the field, all with lots of pace and skill. Huge step forward in quality from what we often saw in pre-season kid appearances. Like, just compare the way someone like Randall moved with how our new gen of defenders moved today. Totally night and day.

Agreed, it's very promising. But Tranmere were so bad that it's hard to rate the young players in comparison to the standard of our first team.

Be nice to see them progress through this preseason, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Klopp wants Liverpool to remain a traditional football club where young players are developed and brought through to the first team. That is how he managed his previous clubs and that is what in reality all true football fans want! Seeing young players develop at your club into real footballers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Klopp wants Liverpool to remain a traditional football club where young players are developed and brought through to the first team. That is how he managed his previous clubs and that is what in reality all true football fans want! Seeing young players develop at your club into real footballers!

so they can be trounced by the Oil barons.

Seriously though while it's a nice notion those days are gone. While we've had significant recent success in this area the need for instant gratification makes it much harder for this to happen.
    It will be interesting to see how we invest in the playing staff in the next few years. While we have spent big a lot of this was financed by player sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

gimli2112 wrote:
    so they can be trounced by the Oil barons.

Yeah I know. Liverpool cannot compete with oil money, so a balance of bringing players through and buying players is required once you have a winner team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't think many of City's close games were decided by subs compared to ours last season but happy for you to correct me?

Mahrez vs Bournemouth
    Sane vs Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

typical friendly, take it as a pinch of salt. The reality is we need some experienced players in, i don't understand why we have not made a move yet. We lost the league last year due to the subs bench, we got lucky in a few games and our 1 point 2nd place flattered us. We need a strong midfielder a very decent striker as back up, a winger would be nice, central defender, happy enough with Matip but a good back up option would be nice. City bring top players off the bench, we do not, this is the difference.

I really don't get this thinking.

We didn't lose the league last year. City won it. We had 97 points. A record for us an highest ever runner up. We did not get 97 lucky points.

Did City not have any luck along the way either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving the squad but the idea that we were lucky last season or flattered really irks me.

97 points and European Champions is a top class team not one that's struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Maybe our targets aren't for sale or we refuse to pay the prices been touted. 50m seems to be the minimum for a player now and it's even worse when you see Newcastle quoting the same for a player that kicked a ball 8 times in the league.
    If Klopp thinks an academy player is good enough I'll be delighted to see them in the squad.

Klopp wants the first team training complex and academy in the same ground he obviously wants a clear progression from academy to first team. Time to put faith in that

Thud wrote: »
    Mahrez vs Bournemouth
    Sane vs Utd

Origi v Everton
    Wjinaldum (I'm not even close with that spelling I think) v Barcelona

Twice the enjoyment at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Well, I guess we know what stick will be used to beat Klopp with if we drop any points early in the season.

New signings innit?

If the team are doing bad then naturally people will say why didn't we sign more players. Also if any of the front 3 get a lengthy injury then people will question the lack of signings.

Doubt there will be many people outside of a few twitter trolls that will be beating Klopp with any sticks though, he has earned himself lots and lots of leeway. No problem in wanting more signings though and asking the question about why we didn't make any, without it being a supposed witchhunt or anything against Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Origi v Everton
    Wjinaldum (I'm not even close with that spelling I think) v Barcelona

Twice the enjoyment at a fraction of the cost.

You're very close just swap the J and I around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

If Klopp wants to leave space for a young player to make the breakthrough that's fine with me. It might mean we don't win the league but could work out for the best in the long run if Brewster and maybe more turn out like TAA.

We can't compete with City by filling out squad with expensive, established players so will have to have a certain number of cheaper players making the grade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    Maybe our targets aren't for sale or we refuse to pay the prices been touted. 50m seems to be the minimum for a player now and it's even worse when you see Newcastle quoting the same for a player that kicked a ball 8 times in the league.
    If Klopp thinks an academy player is good enough I'll be delighted to see them in the squad.

Klopp wants the first team training complex and academy in the same ground he obviously wants a clear progression from academy to first team. Time to put faith in that

Yep true, apparently United have been quoted £50m for Longstaff. That's absolutely mental. The lad has played a handful of games and they want that much.

Thud wrote: »
    Mahrez vs Bournemouth
    Sane vs Utd

Yep true. Sane scored a bit off the bench through the season, Jesus a couple too. Mahrez though I thought was a poor option when called upon on the whole, disappointing season for him.

Also just remembered Shaqiri coming off the bench to score twice against United when the score had been 1-1. We won 3-1.

I honestly thought our subs as a whole were good when needed last season and definitely bought us points.

This opinion that we "lost the league" because of our subs just doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't get this thinking.

We didn't lose the league last year. City won it. We had 97 points. A record for us an highest ever runner up. We did not get 97 lucky points.

Did City not have any luck along the way either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving the squad but the idea that we were lucky last season or flattered really irks me.

97 points and European Champions is a top class team not one that's struggling.

City won it. Liverpool lost it. Trying to argue they didn't lose it is fairly ridiculous. They didn't bottle it, they didn't blow it, they didn't under-achieve, they just lost.

I think the common view is that Liverpool had less margin for injuries / loss of form of key players than City had last season and were a bit lucky in that most key players stayed fit for most of the season. I know which bench is stronger and which side would be most affected by injuries to key players.

Potential Underachiever's post above matches my view on where the squad / fan perspective is at. Nothing wrong with wanting a couple of signings to reduce risk and improve chances of league success going into next season but no one will be calling for Klopp's head if signings don't materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Have we signed the young lad from Fulham? Saw a sky video saying we have but don’t see anything anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Have we signed the young lad from Fulham? Saw a sky video saying we have but don’t see anything anywhere else?

Haven't seen an announcement yet. He was at the Tranmere game last night apparently.

He was pictured at the game in the crowd last night anyway.

I'd heard we had signed him on a three year deal but the general consensus is until they are pictured leaning on something in Liverpool the deal is not official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Delighted to see Origi get a new deal,hes certainly earned it. He's better than a lot of people seem willing to give him credit for. He's also the perfect option for us to have as back up; versatile and content to sit on the bench when the front 3 are fit. I never expected us to splash out on a world class option for the front 3, it's not that easy to find someone that good who'll accept sitting on the bench, and it's hard to justify spending 50m+ on a substitute when you're trying to run a club sensibly. It would also be very deflating for the youngsters, a lot of our success has been built on team spirit and giving players a chance to break into the team. At this stage klopp has comfortably earned my trust, if he thinks origi, brewster etc are good enough as back up I'm inclined to believe him.

Best case i thought we might buy someone like Fekir who can play in midfield or across the front three, I never expected us to buy a top class forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

rgace wrote: »
    If Klopp wants to leave space for a young player to make the breakthrough that's fine with me. It might mean we don't win the league but could work out for the best in the long run if Brewster and maybe more turn out like TAA.

We can't compete with City by filling out squad with expensive, established players so will have to have a certain number of cheaper players making the grade
    Yeah, but I think the issue is not so much the price of established players - look at what we did last year with Ali and VVD - and more the potential wage bill for established stars and what that would do to our current pay structure and potentially destabilise the dressing room vibe.

One dreamer thought - if we're not spending big this year, then why not put it into redeveloping the Annie Road End? IIRC there was planning permission that would add a further 7,000 seats but there's a time limit on the permission and they need to start it soon. That would increase revenues, help FFP and so be more competitive with the sheiks when it comes to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I do think we could do with another top front 3 player. We have the money and already an excellent team, push for it now. We're 12 months off a WC, and we've had Bobby/Mane/Salah have a busy Summer this year with even more football. Perhaps we'll go to a 4-4-2 as part of a rotation, but we're at our best in a 4-3-3, and with the Community Shield/European Super Cup/World Club Cup, we're gonna have a very busy year. Another option for the front 3 will probably see plenty of gametime (even before injuries).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Harvey Elliot can't officially sign any senior contract until he turns 17 in April. He can move to us on a scholar contract alright now.

There's probably some issues with Fulham that are trying to be sorted out before he can make the move to Liverpool - compensation etc. I would imagine that they are not happy at all with the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We probably have 200m worth of young players who have never kicked a ball in anger for the first team, it's pretty crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We probably have 200m worth of young players who have never kicked a ball in anger for the first team, it's pretty crazy.

Because younger players are getting opportunities in the senior team Liverpool is a preferred destination for the new stars,the team could be set up for years if this continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

https://twitter.com/petercrouch/status/1149618340010160129

Crouchie is calling it a day. Great guy, always enjoyed watching him tog out in red.

Will always remember the perfect hat trick he got against Arsenal at Anfield and the bicycle kick vs Galatasary

P.S. If you haven't listened to his podcast yet I can't recommend it highly enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

x43r0 wrote: »
    Crouchie is calling it a day. Great guy, always enjoyed watching him tog out in red.

Can't imagine another striker going through his first 19 games for the club without scoring while still remaining a fan-favourite.

John Cross in the Mirror reporting that Barca made an approach for VVD and his agent said no basically laughing at them they put their tails between their legs and backed off.

If we were to sell him the club would want £200m for him and with the Coutinho clause Barca would have to pay another £100m on top of that.

Grand total £300m.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-virgil-van-dijk-rejection-16572794

Is this real? It sounds made up. Barcelona ask VVD's reps if he'd be interested in a move and they immediately turn it down.
    I guess this kind of thing happens all the time (with Barcelona, it's called tapping up elsewhere) but doesn't get reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

John Cross in the Mirror reporting that Barca made an approach for VVD and his agent said no basically laughing at them they put their tails between their legs and backed off.

If we were to sell him the club would want £200m for him and with the Coutinho clause Barca would have to pay another £100m on top of that.

Grand total £300m.

Eleventy billion might be a fair fee +100m Couthino clause of course.

I'd take the £300m plus Messi.

• Advertisement

It reads more like they went to the player with a view to unsettling him and then they'd try and low ball us like they did with Coutinho.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

https://twitter.com/petercrouch/status/1149618340010160129

Will always remember the perfect hat trick he got against Arsenal at Anfield and the bicycle kick vs Galatasary

P.S. If you haven't listened to his podcast yet I can't recommend it highly enough

He’s great in his podcasts and often gives some great insights you don’t usually get from footballers. But.. the presenters on it ruin it for me. Always cutting across him and asking while he’s telling a story and asking a ridiculous question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He’s great in his podcasts and often gives some great insights you don’t usually get from footballers. But.. the presenters on it ruin it for me. Always cutting across him and asking while he’s telling a story and asking a ridiculous question!
    Agree, way too much laughing at the most minor jokes as well, which goes on and on at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd take the £300m plus Messi.

I wouldn't, tends to disappear in the big games, not the kind of player we need...

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fieldog wrote:
    I wouldn't, tends to disappear in the big games, not the kind of player we need...

Plus, new contract for Origi. Signing Messi would just be overkill tbh.

Unless he can provide decent cover at left back. The new Reus?

Coutinho stripped of his number at Barca so Griezmann can have it.

Safe to say that move hasn't worked out well for him.

I'd love to know if he regrets it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Coutinho stripped of his number at Barca so Griezmann can have it.

Safe to say that move hasn't worked out well for him.

Of course he does....

I'd take him at a discount and a grovelling apology video to the fans, even after his "great sadness" and back pain...

He still seems to be great buddies with Bobby and the lads...

He would be a luxury buy though, not seeing anywhere he can slot into the team currently at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He'd never publicly admit to it. The fans & club there lost more respect for him in the last 6 months than Liverpool fans did when he faked injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

His book is a good listen also (he narrates it himself), some overlap with the podcast, comes across as very down to earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Take him back in a heartbeat. The difference maker in so many games. Wouldn't have gotten back into the CL without him.

Discount of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement