Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yup. I think United now have the joint most expensive RB in the league, most expensive CB, most expensive midfielder and most expensive striker. Over 270m worth of players for those 4.

And none of them are elite. Maguire is massively overrated IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

.G. wrote: »
    Cue obvious joke about something something .. giving him a big head... something something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think he's a very good defender. Bit shaky when been forced to defend towards his own goal but that shouldn't happen to often at United.

He's defo better than what they have, but thats not saying much. All 4 of ours are better and I'm no fan of Lovren! I'll be highly amused if they buy him for that sort of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I think he's a very good defender. Bit shaky when been forced to defend towards his own goal but that shouldn't happen to often at United.

Fair play to the Rodg for pretending Pep was interested and squeezing £80m out of Utd for Maguire, especially when Pep had publicly identified him as woefully slow and the weak link in the Leicester defence.

Can't wait for all the "most expensive defender in the world" comments next season :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane into the AFCON final.

Phil back on a two year loan with an option to buy for the £88m they still owe us is the latest twitter tosh. I'd do it if I'm honest.

Mane into the AFCON final.

Won't be seeing him til the back end of August then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Stephen Darby YNWA!

• Advertisement

So Klopp say Lallana will be playing the Jorginho role in Central midfield for the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Phil back on a two year loan with an option to buy for the £88m they still owe us is the latest twitter tosh. I'd do it if I'm honest.

As long as it isn’t an obligation to buy, I’d also be okay with that. He’s the kind of quality we need on the bench, given that Man City can count on the one of Mahrez or Sane to come on and make an impact, and that’s just from the wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Self-contradictory post? A very good defender who is shaky when forced to defend?

He looks decent enough but he's no VVD. Slow on the turn and can get caught on the ball when driving forward. No better than Lovren imo.

If Liverpool manage to get near £15M for Taiwo Awoniyi, I'd be seriously impressed. Most Liverpool fans haven't heard of him.

Take Coutinho on a two year loan for the money Barca still owe when the two years is up then tell him to go back to Barca for the last year of his contract and we will resign him in the next January window as a free agent.

martyos121 wrote: »
    As long as it isn’t an obligation to buy, I’d also be okay with that. He’s the kind of quality we need on the bench, given that Man City can count on the one of Mahrez or Sane to come on and make an impact, and that’s just from the wingers.

Yeah it'd be a no brainer, we'd be getting him back for two years in his prime for no cost. Sadly it's likely made up rubbish.

So Klopp say Lallana will be playing the Jorginho role in Central midfield for the coming season.

He certainly has the kind of skills needed to play that role, and it’s a much easier position on the body than what he’s used to, could be beneficial to him from a fitness perspective. I’m just not sure we need that kind of player in the team, Fabinho is much more direct in the same position and we’re better for it.

High-pressing, all action Lallana from a few seasons ago was truly one of the best midfielders we’ve had since Gerrard’s decline and departure. It’s a shame he’ll never be that player again, but he still has a lot of technical ability that carries well with age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone want to guess how many times he’ll lose the ball in our half this season doing Cruyff turns?

I’ll go with none because he’ll be injured for 98 percent of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would doubt Klopp would want him back but even if he did his wage of £200k a week at Barca would be a problem, no way could he come back on the same wages as Salah and straight in on more money than VVD, Bobby, Mane. If he took a cut to £130k then that could be attractive regardless of past history. Still cant see it happening though, I get the impression with Klopp that once you burn your bridges then thats that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really don't want him back. We moved on fine without him and he proved he is no longer good enough for us in the CL semi. Yesterday's man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’m not seeing Lallana having the passing range and physicality to play that role tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I have no doubt Coutinho was cheering us on in title race last year, and in Champions League final. He has a lot to thank Liverpool for, and a lot of friends there. He's too expensive to buy back though. A change of manager at Barca is what he needs, he's used wrongly there.

• Advertisement

Greizmann did not take Coutinho's number at Barca. I don't see him going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He’s their second name on the team sheet after Suarez...why would he be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Ffs lallana shouldn't be anywhere near the first team in any role

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I’m not seeing Lallana having the passing range and physicality to play that role tbh.

Even as a backup to Fabinho I'd go with Hendo, Gini or even Ox.
    Lallana shouldn't be around now, even if nobody came in. He's done nothing in 2 years other than pick up a wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He’s their second name on the team sheet after Suarez...why would he be going anywhere.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ffs lallana shouldn't be anywhere near the first team in any role

Yeah you would be worried about the manager saying something like that about a guy over 30 who has started just 6 premier league games in the last two seasons. You have to go back to May 2017 for his last goal in any competition and back to December 16 for one before that.

A fit Lallana is an asset, he has worked so hard to get fit, he wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 'Jorginho' role and the role that Fabinho currently plays for us?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 'Jorginho' role and the role that Fabinho currently plays for us?

Jorginho is more of a deep-lying playmaker, a knock-off Pirlo if you will. It’s a position known in Italy as the “regista”. It still doesn’t seem to be as effective in England as it is on the continent, but that’s based on a small sample size. A lot of players have taken on similar roles (Alonso under Rafa, Neves at Wolves etc.) but in England, only Jorginho has really had a team built around him and this position at Chelsea.

Fabinho plays more like a traditional number 6, his primary objective is to break up opposition play, regain possession and play quick, short passes to get us on the front foot. In possession, he’s there to keep us ticking over without doing anything extravagant.

Henderson in his previous role is somewhat similar to Jorginho, just with added defensive responsibility. Fabinho is an evolution of that position for us, he’s miles ahead of Jorginho and that type of player defensively, but he’s shown he has great vision too so he can contribute to attacks. So he can defend in that position better than either Jorginho or Henderson could ever hope to, and his passing is almost on par with them.

Essentially, there’s not a huge difference. If Lallana is going to play the “Jorginho” role for us this season, it just means he’ll be the man keeping the ball for us and linking our defence to the midfield, playing a ton of short passes often in tight spaces and just keeping us in possession.

I very much doubt he’ll feature much for us in that role, I think it’s just Klopp’s way of saying he can cover for Fabinho if needed. I don’t like the thought of us using an out-and-out regista at any point, but on paper, Lallana does have the skill set for it. It’s a good position for a player struggling to stay fit over a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks am familiar with the regista role so just under the assumption that Jorginho was playing as a regular DM for chelsea.

All things considered Gini would be very good in that role I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Really don't want him back. We moved on fine without him and he proved he is no longer good enough for us in the CL semi. Yesterday's man.

I assume Messi isn't good enough for us neither judging by the semi 2nd leg....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Andy Lonergan joining the training camp squad due to a severe lack of goalkeepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wasn't able to watch the friendly game yesterday, how did we play?

We had some sharp passing against Tranmere, and although against limited opposition, it seemed like there was a real directness, crispness and quickness in the passing forwards. Some determination to be seen too in the players that the want to succeed and are taking things seriously, not just using the games for fitness only. While they are just friendly warm-up games against poorer opposition at this stage, these games can be a nice outlier for things to come in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

FitzShane wrote: »
    Wasn't able to watch the friendly game yesterday, how did we play?

We had some sharp passing against Tranmere, and although against limited opposition, it seemed like there was a real directness, crispness and quickness in the passing forwards. Some determination to be seen too in the players that the want to succeed and are taking things seriously, not just using the games for fitness only. While they are just friendly warm-up games against poorer opposition at this stage, these games can be a nice outlier for things to come in the season.

I think yesterday was more of a charity game so I imagine Klopp might have told em not to be going too flat out, probably not a whole ton to read into if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I presume there is a good chance Mane will miss the first few games of the season? Poor fecker still has another game to play before he can even go on a holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just looking online to see how it compares date wise with other international competitions and it seems the same. Is it right that Euro 2020 is being splattered across the continent? The final is in London, the opening game in Rome and they're all over the place in the summer of 2020. This is the kind of thing I won't believe is true until it's actually happening.

The AFCON final is on this coming Friday the 19th and if he gets the same holidays as Alisson and Bobby he will have three weeks off and be due back on the 9th of August.

Then a couple of weeks to get back into match shape I'd expect him to be fully ready at the start of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Anyone think anyone of Liverpool's youth cup winning team could make an impact this season?

Just looking back at 2006-07 winning sides and makes depressing reading as regards to where they ended up aside from Spearing whereas 96 winning side had Carragher, Owen and Thompson (who played nearly 50 first team games for Liverpool).

I'd much rather have Gini in the role.

Versatile Adam Lallana could become Liverpool’s Jorginho – Jürgen Klopp

'Jürgen Klopp believes Adam Lallana can perform a Jorginho-style role for Liverpool this season as he continued with the experiment of deploying the midfielder in a deeper position in his side’s latest friendly victory.

Lallana played as a No 6 in the first-half of Sunday’s 3-1 success against Bradford City having also featured at the hub of Liverpool’s midfield in the 6-0 win over Tranmere Rovers last Thursday.

Liverpool head to the United States on Tuesday to step up preparations for the new season with Lallana looking to maintain his early momentum in games against Sevilla, Borussia Dortmund and Sporting Lisbon.

The England international has endured an injury-hit couple of seasons, but has been working throughout the summer to ensure he is in the best possible condition to impress.

The 31-year-old has enjoyed the deep-lying role which Chelsea midfielder Jorginho performed last season under Maurizio Sarri, who has since been appointed at Juventus, and Klopp feels Lallana’s intelligence and technique means he can revel in the position.

Fabinho remains Liverpool’s go-to No 6 but, with captain Jordan Henderson having finished last season in an advanced role, Klopp sees the benefit of Lallana’s versatility.

“Adam is the kind of player who can play that and he enjoys this ‘Jorginho’ role,” said the Liverpool manager.

“I hope Maurizio Sarri doesn’t see the games or he will make an offer. It is about getting Adam rhythm, bringing him in early and doing things he is naturally good at: small spaces, passing the ball, and then from time-to-time offering the runs in behind as well and together with Milly [James Milner] that is possible.

“For us it is another option. He [Lallana] needs a bit of luck, like we all do in life. We have to come through without injuries, that would be cool, and then we have a couple of new players, I would say, this season.”

The win came in front of a crowd of 24,343 — the highest at Valley Parade since the ground reopened in 1986 — with the game raising funds for former Liverpool and Bradford defender Stephen Darby’s charity.

Darby was diagnosed with motor neurone disease last year and set up a foundation with fellow sufferer Chris Rimmer — the Darby Rimmer MND Foundation.

The 30-year-old, whose wife, Steph Houghton, is captain of the England women’s team, gave an emotional speech before the match thanking the crowd and family for the support he has received.

Liverpool led 3-0 at the interval with James Vaughan deflecting a Milner shot beyond Bradford goalkeeper Richard O’Donnell before Milner dispatched a penalty won by Ryan Kent. Rhian Brewster then scored his third goal in two pre-season outings after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s shot had deflected towards him.

Bradford scored a consolation when Eoin Doyle converted a spot-kick conceded after young full back Adam Lewis fouled Clayton Donaldson. With Alberto Moreno having joined Villarreal on a free transfer, Liverpool’s only recognised left back is Andrew Robertson who was absent with a hand injury. Another teenager, Yasser Larouci, has been alternating with Lewis so far and Klopp will mull over whether to strengthen his options with Milner another alternative.

“I have said already we have to think about everything and, at the end, maybe we do nothing,” he said. “I can imagine we have a look at all the things around us. Of course we lost a left back (in Moreno) but today we saw two pretty young ones, James [Milner] played it. We will see.”'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/versatile-adam-lallana-could-become-liverpools-jorginho-juergen-klopp-q2hlsfjgt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Just looking online to see how it compares date wise with other international competitions and it seems the same. Is it right that Euro 2020 is being splattered across the continent? The final is in London, the opening game in Rome and they're all over the place in the summer of 2020. This is the kind of thing I won't believe is true until it's actually happening.

It's mad. I think England can play their opening games in Wembley, then go to Baku, then go back to Wembley.

The 2020 Euros are across 12 cities with Dublin hosting three group games and one last 16. It is spread wide and far all the way to Baku and St.Petersburg The ballot just closed on July 12th for tickets, there is another ballot in December this year. Hoping we qualify, it would be some advantage for us to have two home games at the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I really don't get it, it must be a logistic nightmare. Can't imagine UEFA will be well represented at the Baku games. I'm sure they'll fill Wembley for the final. There's obviously some rationale behind it all but where UEFE/FIFA are involved you just have to think there's something sketchy going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I really don't get it, it must be a logistic nightmare. Can't imagine UEFA will be well represented at the Baku games. I'm sure they'll fill Wembley for the final. There's obviously some rationale behind it all but where UEFE/FIFA are involved you just have to think there's something sketchy going on.

Platini reason behind it was to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

60 years since the 1st Euros, UEFA looking to make it a continental celebration with nations who would never get to host a full Euros getting a chance to host some games.

Azerbaijan, Denmark, Hungary, Ireland, Romania, and Scotland may never get the chance to hold a full Euros

Where as Belgium and Netherlands may not get a change to hold it again.

With the bigger games in England, Germany, Italy and Russia and Spain having some games. Germany will be hosting 2024. These would be the only single countries able to host a full Euros now with 24 teams.

Belarus, Bulgaria, Israel, North Macedonia, Sweden, and Wales all applied to host games but were unsuccessful with Belgium later pulling out.

Group A is in Italy and Azerbaijan
    Group B is in Russia and Denmark
    Group C is in Netherlands and Romania
    Group D is in England and Scotland
    Group E is in Spain and Ireland
    Group F is in Germany and Hungary

Winners of Group A then will fly to England
    Runners up going to Netherlands
    Winners of Group B then will fly to Spain
    Runners up going to Netherlands
    Winners of Group C then will fly to Hungary
    Runners up going to England
    Winners of Group D then will fly to Ireland
    Runners up going to Denmark
    Winners of Group E then will fly to Scotland
    Runners up going to Denmark
    Winners of Group F then will fly to Romania
    Runners up going to Ireland

Only those who finish 3rd will have to wait and see where they are going
    Spain, Hungary, Romania or Scotland.

Russia QF will have teams coming from Romania and Denmark
    Germany QF will have teams coming from Spain and England
    Azerbaijan QF will have teams coming from Hungary and Netherlands
    Italy QF will have teams coming from Scotland and Ireland.

Then all off to London for the Semi-finals and final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To be fair though it was announced back in 2012 while Europe was in financial crisis and the idea was that no one country would shoulder the cost of putting on the competition. Going all the way out to Baku is a joke though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rob316 wrote: »
    To be fair though it was announced back in 2012 while Europe was in financial crisis and the idea was that no one country would shoulder the cost of putting on the competition. Going all the way out to Baku is a joke though

Winning group D or E is the best option travel wise.

Group games in Ireland and Spain or England and Scotland, win the group and go from Ireland to Scotland and vice versa. Then if you win your last 16 off to Italy for the QF and then back to England for the rest

While I doubt Platinis idea was purely altruistic (more likely more cities=more backhanders) it will be great to have the four games in Dublin. We will be waiting an age before we ever see a Euros hosted by Ireland-Scotland-Wales so having a few games in Dublin is a welcome second best and there will be a great atmosphere around the city for a couple of weeks. Annoyed I missed out on the recent ballot but will apply for the December one

Coutinho's agent was interviewed on English radio this morning by Jim White.
    “Obviously if he were to move back [to the Premier League], it would have to be Liverpool, but at the moment I think it would be difficult and it would be up to them.”

While I doubt Platinis idea to spread it across 12 cities was purely altruistic (more likely more cities-more backhanders with that lad) it will still be great for Dublin hosting the four games. It will take an age before we ever see a co-hosted Euros across Ireland-Scotland-Wales so this is a decent second best. There'll be a great atmosphere in Dublin for the couple of weeks its on with fanzones set up and thousands of fans coming from abroad. Heres hoping for a large influx of Swedish chicks ;)

He's one of our own Herbie Kane will go on loan to a Championship team and Huddersfield are looking to take Grabara on is loan are two stories reported today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement