Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Don't rate Rose to be honest and not sure what he would add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

rob316 wrote: »
    For an england international? It's nothing

He'd be looking for big wages too. He's said as much.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

GiftofGab wrote: »
    3 of us in the houseshare...it makes sky sports so cheap split 3 ways. Paying just €30 each for tv package + sky sports and broadband. Bought a new 49" 4k tv last Christmas too so the games are spectacular. So glad I'm not streaming.

So you don't watch any Liverpool game live when it is not on Sky Sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I always got the impression that Coutinho was reluctant to kick up a fuss to get his move to Barca, i just get the impression he wanted the move but he did'nt want to piss anyone off along the way but someone at Barca was constantly in his ear telling him it was the only way.

I think there is definitely an element of Barca saying to him it is now or never which meant he left in January even though he would be CL cup tied. You've also got to look at it from a professional players perspective, they've a limited career that could be severely curtailed or even ended in the next game by injury. So when a 5 year contract that doubles your wages is dangled in front of you it is a no brainer, any of us here would have done the exact same had we been in Coutinhos position.

Anyway can anyone recommend a good VPN, it sounds like watching football this season could get very frustrating without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    So you don't watch any Liverpool game live when it is not on Sky Sports?

Is it this season that Amazon have some games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Do you use a free VPN? Any advice? (realise I sound like a cheap sod but limited means and all that...)thx

Don't have VPN yet, but NordVPN are Liverpool sponsors, so we'll have to use them!

8-10 wrote: »

I quote -

"Amazon Prime will air 20 games per season between 2019 and 2022 as the online giant wades into the broadcasting battle. Amazon have purchased the rights to show every match from the Boxing Day round of games live, as well as another weekend of matches in the lead up to Christmas."

I have Prime, so that's something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Amazon only have 20 games spread across two rounds- they're showing are all 10 games a week before Christmas and then another 10 on Stephens Day and thats it. Handy if you already have Prime but not worth signing up just for it unless you're some sort of monster with 10 pairs of eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We are painfully short of FB options if Trent or Robbo get injured. Considering its vital to how we play it's the one position we need to be strengthening.

I'd be keeping Clyne if we don't sign anyone. He doesn't offer what Trent does, but anytime he's been thrown in hes dependable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Amazon only have 20 games spread across two rounds- they're showing are all 10 games a week before Christmas and then another 10 on Stephens Day and thats it. Handy if you already have Prime but not worth signing up just for it unless you're some sort of monster with 10 pairs of eyes

Hopefully there's a 14 day free trial or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

We are painfully short of FB options if Trent or Robbo get injured. Considering its vital to how we play it's the one position we need to be strengthening.

I'd be keeping Clyne if we don't sign anyone. He doesn't offer what Trent does, but anytime he's been thrown in hes dependable.

Yeah, I like Clyne. Don't think he's happy as back-up though so i'd say he'll get his move.

Maybe Klopp thinks Hoever / Lewis / Larouci are ready to fill in. Or more likely Milner will remain as back-up for both positions.

Well there normally is for Prime, but suspect it will not include this, and they'll have some minimum sign-up period for you to watch...

dmigsy wrote: »
    Yeah, I like Clyne. Don't think he's happy as back-up though so i'd say he'll get his move.

Maybe Klopp thinks Hoever / Lewis / Larouci are ready to fill in. Or more likely Milner will remain as back-up for both positions.

He came in against United last season, did his job, dependable and professional. He's a full back who defends first that's probably why he doesn't fit in, he not great going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He came in against United last season, did his job, dependable and professional. He's a full back who defends first that's probably why he doesn't fit in, he not great going forward.

I remember Milner's crossing was absolutely appalling that day & it killed a lot of attacks.
    We have no real like for like cover for our full backs or Salah & Mane out wide.
    Not sure I understand the transfer policy this summer tbh.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I remember Milner's crossing was absolutely appalling that day & it killed a lot of attacks.
    We have no real like for like cover for our full backs or Salah & Mane out wide.
    Not sure I understand the transfer policy this summer tbh.

Well we have another 3 weeks, and there will definitely be a few outgoings.
    It was never likely we'd do much after signing a first choice GK, CB, DM, CM, AM and Striker in the last two years (AB, VVD, Fab, Naby, Ox, Mo).
    Klopp likes to develop squads, not continually change them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool announce a new partner Roblox.

I'm too old to know what this is.

Anyway more money generated by FSG.

Mbappe 2020, Yes We Can, Make LFC Great Again.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/356547-liverpool-fc-roblox-partnership

Mignolet's manager/agent say it's still there goal to leave Liverpool and get regular first team football.

Mikel Oyarzabal is the lastest forward linked.

Liverpool announce a new partner Roblox.

I'm too old to know what this is.

Anyway more money generated by FSG.

Mbappe 2020, Yes We Can, Make LFC Great Again.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/356547-liverpool-fc-roblox-partnership

That's about the 4th announcement this post-season. And still the shirt manufacturer to be decided for 2020 onwards, that will be a BIG one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Dickerty wrote: »
    I quote -

"Amazon Prime will air 20 games per season between 2019 and 2022 as the online giant wades into the broadcasting battle. Amazon have purchased the rights to show every match from the Boxing Day round of games live, as well as another weekend of matches in the lead up to Christmas."

I have Prime, so that's something!
    Muahahaha wrote: »

Amazon games are on Premier Sports in Ireland, think the Amazon games will be geo blocked to the UK only.

Liverpool games that will be on Amazon are Everton on Dec 3rd and Leicester around Stephens Day.

Games will be spread over two week day nights on Dec 3rd and 4th and then i guess about 3 kick off times on Stephens Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anyone that goes for BT Sport this season on Sky will get Premier Sports in on that too, so at least those matches will be fairly accessible at a cost.

Still no news on a price for Sky/BT/Premier is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

August Team TV
    4th Man City (N) BT Sport
    9th Norwich Sky Sports
    14th Chelsea (N) BT Sport
    17th Southampton (a)
    24th Arsenal Sky Sports
    31st Burnley (a) BT Sport

September Team TV
    14th Newcastle BT Sport
    18th UCL Match Day 1 BT Sport
    21st Chelsea (a) Sky Sports
    25th EFL Cup RD 3
    28th Sheff Utd (a) BT Sport

martyos121 wrote: »
    Anyone that goes for BT Sport this season on Sky will get Premier Sports in on that too, so at least those matches will be fairly accessible at a cost.

Still no news on a price for Sky/BT/Premier is there?

They will probably announce the price on July 31st.

From the Talk to...Sky on Boards yesterday.
    Sports Extra will be available to purchase from the 1st August.
    Pricing for the new pack will be announced in the coming weeks

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057997128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I dont understand that, at least watch you nearest rival, surely to see what your dealing with and how your own team compares .How can you give a fair and balanced judgement of your own team without knowing how the other team is performing.

Why do I need to give a judgement on them?

I support Liverpool, I can honestly say I have no interest in City or anyone else. I can't affect them from here so why bother frustrating myself watching them win every week with offside goals or blowing teams away with scintillating attacking football. Focus on my own team and hope for the best.

I can't watch our biggest "rival " either as their fans do my head in singing about us 100 times a game while pretending its us thats obsessed but I'll occasionally flick them on if they're getting beat to have a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

GiftofGab wrote: »
    3 of us in the houseshare...it makes sky sports so cheap split 3 ways. Paying just €30 each for tv package + sky sports and broadband. Bought a new 49" 4k tv last Christmas too so the games are spectacular. So glad I'm not streaming.

What about the games not on sky?
    Sure if it was just a matter of paying one place for all the matches, there wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mignolet's manager/agent say it's still there goal to leave Liverpool and get regular first team football.

Mikel Oyarzabal is the lastest forward linked.

This statement comes with the caveat of only seeing him a handful of times, but he doesn't strike me a Klopp type player, although maybe he has just never been asked to do much in terms of winning the ball back.

Certainly talented and looks like he could play a variety of attacking roles though.

Someone else will definitely know more about him however.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

.G. wrote: »

I can't watch our biggest "rival " either as their fans do my head in singing about us 100 times a game while pretending its us thats obsessed but I'll occasionally flick them on if they're getting beat to have a good laugh.

You must have laughed your arse off last season.

I know I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I did indeed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Don't rate Rose to be honest and not sure what he would add.

I like him as an option... he doesn't really do anything better than Robertson, but no-one does really. But he plays a similar way, with a proper threat of pace on the wing to open things up. Decent enough defender too. Good covering option I think.

If we had him as left backup, and Clyne as right backup, I'd feel pretty good about things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I like him as an option... he doesn't really do anything better than Robertson, but no-one does really. But he plays a similar way, with a proper threat of pace on the wing to open things up. Decent enough defender too. Good covering option I think.

If we had him as left backup, and Clyne as right backup, I'd feel pretty good about things.

I just don't rate him as a player at all. He also doesn't strike me as someone happy to come knowing he will playing second fiddle.

The way I see back up is you go with a younger player who can improve past what you already have in place. Or you go with someone with experience who can offer something different to what you already have or experience winning leagues or trophies elsewhere that can be a positive influence on the team as a whole.

Did Danny Rose not say that he doesn't even like football and only does it for his job? Or am I confusing him with someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just don't rate him as a player at all. He also doesn't strike me as someone happy to come knowing he will playing second fiddle.

The way I see back up is you go with a younger player who can improve past what you already have in place. Or you go with someone with experience who can offer something different to what you already have or experience winning leagues or trophies elsewhere that can be a positive influence on the team as a whole.

Did Danny Rose not say that he doesn't even like football and only does it for his job? Or am I confusing him with someone else

Whatever about the former, Steve Finnan is on record saying the same but you'd never question his professionalism.

For 20m he'd be great but I'd also worry he wouldn't wanna play second fiddle. More concerned about that fourth attacker tbh though.

• Advertisement

That's the one issue alright, but that's neither here nor there really... if that's an issue for him, he won't come. If he comes, then it must not be an issue. I wouldn't really worry about him coming and then suddenly being surprised to find himself second choice - Robertson is head and shoulders the best left back in the league, and the nailed on starter, and everyone knows where they stand right from the off.

Normally I like youth options in reserve, but this position is so important to us that whoever it is has to be able to slot straight in. Maybe lads like Larouci can, but i'd like to be sure before throwing that burden on his shoulders. We saw last season how much we struggled when TAA was out. It's probably the most important position for how we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I remember another former Spurs left back saying that, Benoit Assou-Ekotto. I’m certain he’s not the only one who feels that way, he just had the balls to say what many wouldn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There's something irritating though about multimillionaire footballers complaining about life, sure their entitled to but I can still be irritated by it. Like Rio complaining about having to play over Christmas.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's something irritating though about multimillionaire footballers complaining about life, sure their entitled to but I can still be irritated by it. Like Rio complaining about having to play over Christmas.

Sure it's all relative. People complain, and multimillionaire footballers are people too. I think people in general will always be aware of the gap between what they want, and what they have. It's normal, and just cause they have more, doesn't mean they're not entitled to act the same way everyone else does.

Could say exactly the same about the homeless chap being irritated by a middle-class fella complaining about how long the immersion takes to heat up, or the amount of overtime he's gotten stuck with this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Danilo could play both lb or rb, someone of his ilk would be nice

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1151626361351675904?s=19

Don't expect too much activity going by these quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Brewster is a new player, Ox is a new player, Lallana if fit adds depth, Wilson hopefully stays, he has potential to be an impact player. We are stronger for sure than last season, can't see us signing a first teamer, maybe some cover for Trent and Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Kind of worried that every other clubs supporters i meet and other liverpool supporters are saying Liverpool will finish second next season .We all want first but second is a big accomplishment in such a competitive league.There are fine margins and we might be happy to finish in the top four by Christmas .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Feel like this window is going similar to 2014 and hope it's not a missed opportunity.

Fair enough one main difference is we didn't lose anybody this time like we did with Suarez leaving but we didn't add what was required at the time to kick on.

If Klopp doesn't see the right player available that he wants to work with though I'll live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Liverpool signed a million players in the summer of 2014! How's this year similar?

4 future Champions League winners were signed out of the Luis money.

Lallana, Lovren, Origi & Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

4 future Champions League winners were signed out of the Luis money.

Lallana, Lovren, Origi & Moreno.

Stop.

Jack Reaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Missed opportunity imo. I expected we’d bring in one world class player. Standing pat is a brave move - and I accept its a deliberate vote of confidence in the existing squad rather than lack of money or pull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Missed opportunity imo. I expected we’d bring in one world class player. Standing pat is a brave move - and I accept its a deliberate vote of confidence in the existing squad rather than lack of money or pull.

Or whoever they have their eye on isn't available this summer and they've decided to wait on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Feel like this window is going similar to 2014 and hope it's not a missed opportunity.

Fair enough one main difference is we didn't lose anybody this time like we did with Suarez leaving but we didn't add what was required at the time to kick on.

If Klopp doesn't see the right player available that he wants to work with though I'll live with that.

I don't see it as similar at all. That window we sold Suarez and bought Rickie Lambert.

No player being sold and no top player looking to move.

Squad was excellent last season and no reason it can't be the same next season.

I'm surprised we're not looking to strengthen the squad.

I just hope this is Klopp's call and not FSGs.

Time will tell if he has been right.

Maybe it's all being held for Mbappe 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Off topic but see our explayer Sturridge now trying to speak like an american in LA and shooting hoops :o.

Too much cringe

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B0A0bH2gT-4/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Get the feeling he's going to end up at Newcastle. Both can't really do any better, which ain't a compliment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyone have the total number of games played by our front three in the past two years?

I would say that we have been quite fortunate there, and it's unrealistic to expect them to continue to be fit for 40+ games every year.

Question is then, if Origi and whomever else are good enough backups to play 20+ times. For the most part, they likely are, but I wouldn't like to be relying on Origi for a major stretch that includes playing City, Spurs etc.

That's were City are still far ahead of us, squad wise. Their strength in depth is astonishing, and when you're aiming for 100 point seasons, the margin for error is tiny.

It's hard to see where or how we have gained on them this summer, and that's the concern. Our squad was stretched to its limits, and we've stayed static. They have actually gone and addressed their main 'weakness' by signing Rodri to play the Fernandinho position.

I would also be concerned about the fullback position. As others have mentioned, Robertson and TAA are such a massive component of our attack, that its hard to say that it would not greatly affect us if either saw prolonged injury time as well.

Yes Milner, Clyne and Gomez can do a job, but at the same level of City's replacements? I'm not so sure.

It's mad that we easily have our best squad in my lifetime, but to win the league you must benchmark against City, not ourselves, and they are quite simply an elite machine. To really put consistent pressure on them, I fear we need more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Starting to get worried with how often the club are putting out soundbites about not spending money / buying players. This must be the 3rd or 4th time now directly saying it, or through their media outlets such as Joyce, Reddy, Pearce.

If this is indeed all just a ruse and ploy to make a club lower their valuation of a player (looking at you Lille & Nicholas Pepe), then so be it but it is a lot of work just for one signing - and we still need about 3 or 4 signings to bulk up our squad.

It's bringing out a lot of the old memories of summers gone by with Klopp as our manager, where we balanced our books every other year by selling & buying players every summer, with one large anomaly last summer.

19/20
    Bought: 1.7m
    Sold: 21.7m

18/19
    Bought: 164m
    Sold: 37m

17/18
    Bought: 156.5m
    Sold: 175m

16/17
    Bought: 71.9m
    Sold: 76.8m

We need to bulk up our squad in order to compete with City domestically. No back up full backs is the start, but to be fair as much as we all loved Origi's contribution in the CL final and the Everton game, he is not of the standard of Jesus, Sane or Mahrez. We still need a quality 4th forward option to rotate with the front 3, especially seeing as Mane will not be fully available for a couple of weeks, Firmino and Salah are still on holidays from summer tournaments and we have an increased number of games this season. We won't get lucky with injuries again this season, and even last season when we had a couple injuries in January/February, we really saw the squad be tested. Robertson and Mane are the only natural left sided players in the squad currently and that is very worrying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement