Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

just looking over the last few years we have had a couple of quiet transfer periods. This one was fairly active and makes me feel a little ill.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool-fc/transfers/verein/31/plus/0?saison_id=2014&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

anytime we have a poor window I'm just going to think well at least it's not 2014 bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gimli2112 wrote: »
    just looking over the last few years we have had a couple of quiet transfer periods. This one was fairly active and makes me feel a little ill.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool-fc/transfers/verein/31/plus/0?saison_id=2014&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

anytime we have a poor window I'm just going to think well at least it's not 2014 bad

True! Though I guess at least that window there were the small chinks of light in Origi, Lallana and Lovren coming in - even if Origi was immediately loaned back, and Lallana took a year to get going.

This one is my nightmare window for us though - Summer 2010;
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool-fc/transfers/verein/31/plus/0?saison_id=2010&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=s

Meireles the only good buy in there, amongst the thoroughly unimpressive Poulsen, Konchesky, Danny Wilson, Shelvey, Brad Jones, Jovanovic, and Joe Cole. Blegh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Even Meireles wasn't great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    True! Though I guess at least that window there were the small chinks of light in Origi, Lallana and Lovren coming in - even if Origi was immediately loaned back, and Lallana took a year to get going.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool-fc/transfers/verein/31/plus/0?saison_id=2010&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=s

Meireles the only good buy in there, amongst the thoroughly unimpressive Poulsen, Konchesky, Danny Wilson, Shelvey, Brad Jones, Jovanovic, and Joe Cole. Blegh!

I will always remember that season as being the darkest period in this clubs history. Hodgson was so uninspired and such a lazy choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I thought we went straight from 2009 to 2011, I can't seem to recall 2010 at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

My prediction - Second again, further back from City though. Final of a domestic cup, lose in quarters of CL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I predict Bobby Firmino to be top scorer in the league this season

Liverpool to beat Norwich at Anfield and then bottle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

You must be having laugh!

We signed one of the greatest soccer players in the world in that window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I predict Bobby Firmino to be top scorer in the league this season

Most outlandish one yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Woodburn off on loan to Oxford in league one.

That's, eh, not promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

DaringFickleKawala-size_restricted.gif

FewTightHornedviper-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Must say it is quite frustrating seeing Arsenal strengthen with no CL football & also a huge wage bill.

They'll be very close to us this season if they get a decent CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

MD1990 wrote: »
    Must say it is quite frustrating seeing Arsenal strengthen with no CL football & also a huge wage bill.

They need more than 1 CB, the midfield is weak as well.
    None of the teams 3,4,5 will bridge the 25 pts gap next season . I still predict we should finish 10-15 pts ahead of 3rd place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

They really won't. Pepe is unproven so far, their front two are about the only star quality they have, and are very short of leadership on the pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Up front was probably the last place that Arsenal needed to strengthen, their problem is defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

they need a whole new back line. Spending big on Pepe but penny pinching then on Tierney.

City, Liverpool and Spurs will be the top 3 I've no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

If Pepe is a success, Arsenal will be very like us two seasons back under Klopp - goals galore but absolutely woeful at the back.

Any combo of Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ozil can create and score goals, but the midfield would be totally overrun and unbalanced, and how is the defence going to look if everyone is fit and they don't sign anyone? Leno, with Bellerin, Holding, Sokratis and Monreal? It ain't great even if Tierney or Kolasinac are there instead.

But, it might be enough to get them back to the top 4 - for all the criticisms (which I think are valid), Arsenal were literally one point (and a goal difference of 6) off finishing ahead of Spurs in 4th last season. Their form tailed off badly at the end of the season but one result would have changed the conversation drastically.

In their last two months of the season, their results included a draw with Brighton, 3-0 loss to Leicester, 3-1 loss to Wolves, 3-2 loss to Palace, 1-0 loss to Everton. Turn one of those into a win and they are 4th, Spurs 5th and maybe a totally different conversation on Arsenal's prospects.

i hope i am wrong.

They are after a CB so we will see who it is.

But Pepe,Cellabos, & probably Tierney are very good signings. I could see Tierney being a bit like how Robertson is for us. He is a very good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That's a hell of a lot of points to make up. I don't see it myself. They got Pepe but lost Ramsey who was their best midfielder.

That said they are spending more than I thought they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Vicxas wrote: »
    I will always remember that season as being the darkest period in this clubs history. Hodgson was so uninspired and such a lazy choice

Great time to be living in the football wilderness of Canada at that time :) back to Ireland in time for Kenny to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://twitter.com/jacklusby_/status/1156160281590059008

Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino, Xherdan Shaqiri and Naby Keita all ran the lactate test around a track in Evian with Andreas Kornmayer this morning.

Appear to be no more fitness issues with the latter pair. 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

EAt-L1bXoAAPj1V.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino, Xherdan Shaqiri and Naby Keita all ran the lactate test around a track in Evian with Andreas Kornmayer this morning.

Appear to be no more fitness issues with the latter pair. 👍

Bit mad that we are 5 days away from the Community Shield and some players are only doing their pre season lactate tests now. Usually the very first thing done when they get back.

I'd say Klopp is silently fuming over this pre season.

Bit mad that we are 5 days away from the Community Shield and some players are only doing their pre season lactate tests now. Usually the very first thing done when they get back.

It has not been an ideal one. The current structure of international tournaments makes it basically impossible to have a good pre-season.

World Cup every four years and the intervening years having a combination of Euros, AFCON and Copa Americas, Nations Leagues, etc.

There's almost always going to be some players unavailable for lengthy spells.

There are plans to make the Club World Cup a summer tournament too, aren't there?

So you'd be looking at...

Summer 2016: Euros
    Summer 2017: Nothing, I don't think.
    Summer 2018: World Cup
    Summer 2019: Nations League, AFCON, Copa America
    Summer 2020: Euros, Copa America
    Summer 2021: Expanded Club World Cup (if it goes ahead as mapped out earlier thos year), AFCON (Nice clash here - as 2019 UCL winner, we qualify for the 2021 24-team Club World Cup and any of our African players will be expected at the AFCON and that's before you even reach the question of the African sides competing in the Club World Cup!)
    Summer 2022: Presuming the World Cup is winter, leagues will likely be back in mid-summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It has not been an ideal one. The current structure of international tournaments makes it basically impossible to have a good pre-season.

World Cup every four years and the intervening years having a combination of Euros, AFCON and Copa Americas, Nations Leagues, etc.

There's almost always going to be some players unavailable for lengthy spells.

There are plans to make the Club World Cup a summer tournament too, aren't there?

So you'd be looking at...

Summer 2016: Euros
    Summer 2017: Nothing, I don't think.
    Summer 2018: World Cup
    Summer 2019: Nations League, AFCON, Copa America
    Summer 2020: Euros, Copa America
    Summer 2021: Expanded Club World Cup (if it goes ahead as mapped out earlier thos year), AFCON (Nice clash here - as 2019 UCL winner, we qualify for the 2021 24-team Club World Cup and any of our African players will be expected at the AFCON and that's before you even reach the question of the African sides competing in the Club World Cup!)
    Summer 2022: Presuming the World Cup is winter, leagues will likely be back in mid-summer?

UEFA clubs are still fighting against the expanded Club World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Without meaning to harp on about lack of signings - does anyone think we will make any signing of note at all this transfer window? I'm slightly nervous with our lack of signings to be honest. I know last season both us and city were streets ahead of the chasing pack but we had our fair share of luck with certain results and as someone said above i think the closeness flattered us ever so slightly. The other "top 4" teams are adding to their starting 11s while we are not. I don't think we should be throwing money around out there but i'm surprised there wasn't a key signing or two brought in. Full back, midfield or back up striker?

God forbid but imagine some of our stars get injured

jones wrote: »
    Without meaning to harp on about lack of signings - does anyone think we will make any signing of note at all this transfer window? I'm slightly nervous with our lack of signings to be honest. I know last season both us and city were streets ahead of the chasing pack but we had our fair share of luck with certain results and as someone said above i think the closeness flattered us ever so slightly. The other "top 4" teams are adding to their starting 11s while we are not. I don't think we should be throwing money around out there but i'm surprised there wasn't a key signing or two brought in. Full back, midfield or back up striker?

I'd guess no. There's no sense of any activity, no rumour or strong links since earlier in the summer, and in the last few windows, the majority of business has been done early. I know Alisson wasn't, but he seems more the exception than the rule - he became available and we had the money.

I think what we have is what we will start the season with, with the exception of a few fringe players like Kent, etc going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Appear to be no more fitness issues with the latter pair. ðŸ‘

I don't think klopp does silent fuming, doesnt seem the passive aggressive type! It comes with the territory of having over achieving players in your team that they will be unavailable for selection at times, cannot see him or anyone else at the club having a problem with the trappings of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Appear to be no more fitness issues with the latter pair. ðŸ‘

Glad to hear Kornmayer is fit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

jones wrote: »

Nah I think any key signing would of been done already. It as we were and maybe something in January.
    I suppose the squad usually is gutted after a good season, so to keep that continuity another year could work for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Owl. wrote: »
    Is that you, Xherdan?

No, predicting Xherdan Shaquiri to be top scorer with 30 goals was an essential cog in my coding, I literally couldn't have done it without him
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seeing as we're giving season predictions...
    I will give mine
    Xherdan Shaqiri to finish as top scorer with 30 goals and another few ruled out by VAR

Trent to move into midfield and prove a revelation,
    Instagram to be announced as our shirt sponsors for 2020-21
    Mo Salah to hand in a January transfer request having been usurped by the Cube
    Everyone to lose their sh1t when we swap Mo with Mbappe
    Season to finish with our seventh European Cup off the back of a Shaqiri hat trick

:pac::pac::pac:

Martin Samuels article in the Mail today was telling Klopp not to be pointing the finger at City for the inflation in prices. It really started with Luis Figo's move to RM and the Italians years ago. He points out City are not involved in the top 5 transfers in among UK clubs and their record signing is 13M behind Liverpool's and a staggering 28M behind Utds.
    I'm not sure why he's getting so defensive of City. I think Klopp said something about four clubs in the world where money is no object and named City as one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Martin Samuels will be the happiest of happiest English people on October 31st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

I hate pre season predictions. I hate predictions full stop. Horoscope for football.

Anyway the guys coming back from injury, "just like new signings". Well every team picks up injuries. Who will get injured this year? As sure as night follows day the way we play. Boom. 2 or 3 players will fall.

On to Sunday let battle commence, release the dogs of war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thinking on strength and conditioning for soccer players will just have to change, imo. The old system of turning up out of shape in July, getting run into the ground for 6 weeks and then being in peak condition for all of a 10 month season isn’t realistic. No other sport is doing that. Periodisation and players going through bouts of lessor fitness or unavailability throughout the season will become more common imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Martin Samuels will be the happiest of happiest English people on October 31st.

Oh, come on, even the hardest of hearts enjoy Hallowe'en.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Thinking on strength and conditioning for soccer players will just have to change, imo. The old system of turning up out of shape in July, getting run into the ground for 6 weeks and then being in peak condition for all of a 10 month season isn’t realistic. No other sport is doing that. Periodisation and players going through bouts of lessor fitness or unavailability throughout the season will become more common imo.

This has not been the case for years.

Each player has individual training schedule's before pre season. Everything is monitored

Look at Wolves last season played the same team all season & had few injuries.

I wonder is the new £50m training ground being built now at Kirkby playing a part in this windows transfers.

It looks like the club is using its own cash funds to pay for it I haven't seen anywhere that they took out a loan to build it.

It is supposed to be ready for pre season 2020.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1156232998397911042

Woodburn is off on loan again. We'll never see him in the first team, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Woodburn gone on loan for the season

Good luck to the lad.

Woodburn is off on loan again. We'll never see him in the first team, I'd say.

If you're being loaned out to Oxford United fair to say you'll not be pushing to start for Liverpool FC any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hadepsx

What's the options for left back if robbo gets injured, apart from milner? That's my major worry about the lack of signings.

hadepsx wrote: »
    What's the options for left back if robbo gets injured, apart from milner? That's my major worry about the lack of signings.

Hoever can play both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

So many people fretting and worrying over things they can neither control nor change! Me, I'm just enjoying the reds being kings or Europe once again. If you can't relax this summer of all summers I dread to think what will occur in peoples lives if we don't start the season with 8 straight wins.

The 5th column will be ready with the I told you so's, our friendly rivals will be in asking where it all went wrong and I'll be watching replays of the 2005 and 2019 finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Hoever
    Gomez
    Larouchi
    Lewis

Probably in that order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I still think we sign a left back in the next 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I wonder will the players touch the ‘This is Anfield’ sign now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

8-10 wrote: »
    Even Meireles wasn't great
    Loved him! Breath of fresh air in that very stagnant boring midfield as it was at the time. But also off the field, seemed an especially interesting fella, bit different from the bulk of footballers. With his imported matte black challenger - probably the cheapest of the cars at Anfield by miles, but also the choice with the most personality at the time.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Could see what Rodgers did with Sterling a few years back becoming more commonplace. Much greater use of genuine rotation - not just for a game, but giving each key player a full 2 weeks or so off, staggered to have the lowest impact on the team.
    I wonder will the players touch the ‘This is Anfield’ sign now

I really hope so! Think it was wrong of Klopp to stop them in the first place to be honest, but they should certainly be encouraged to now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement