Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

He has said they can touch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

I wonder is the new £50m training ground being built now at Kirkby playing a part in this windows transfers.

It looks like the club is using its own cash funds to pay for it I haven't seen anywhere that they took out a loan to build it.

It is supposed to be ready for pre season 2020.
    They got planning permission to build 160 houses on the Melwood site, so that'll take some of the sting out of the £50m bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wonder is the new £50m training ground being built now at Kirkby playing a part in this windows transfers.

It looks like the club is using its own cash funds to pay for it I haven't seen anywhere that they took out a loan to build it.

It is supposed to be ready for pre season 2020.

It's so mad when you think of transfer fees in terms of what other stuff clubs use money for.... Will we buy this one bench warmer who might provide adequate cover, or will we build an entire sports complex and pay the wages of everyone employed in it for a decade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's so mad when you think of transfer fees in terms of what other stuff clubs use money for.... Will we buy this one bench warmer who might provide adequate cover, or will we build an entire sports complex and pay the wages of everyone employed in it for a decade?

Think this is a valid point and one that is often ignored by transfer hungry fans. Transfer fees for even the most ordinary footballers are so high now that it must be very tricky to justify them.

A back up left back could set the club back north of €20m, an attacker upwards of €50m. Its a lot of money, even in a game where TV money, commercial deals, etc continue to increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just think we are holding off till next season when we have to look to the future again and if salah and mane have great seasons again you could see the inevitable large bids coming for them from Spain.

We have signed 2 promising youth players who will be part of the 1st team, Brewster and probably Wilson will be squad options. If a couple of those could go on to be key players for years to come you could see that as a successful window.

Everything we have done is with a long term view to get us to where we are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Since I'm just back from a 3 month ban 😂😂😂 this is my first chance to say....

6 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I just don't understand why we haven't strengthened, I think it's wreck less, there's no way with the little rest they've had that one of robo, trent, mo, sadio, or Bobby don't get injured and miss games, and even if by some miracle they don't the sheer number of games we have they will be flecked, origi or brewster aren't good enough as long term cover up front if something goes wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Did I see something today saying that this will be the lowest spend of any club in the summer window in the last 20 years?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why we haven't strengthened, I think it's wreck less, there's no way with the little rest they've had that one of robo, trent, mo, sadio, or Bobby don't get injured and miss games, and even if by some miracle they don't the sheer number of games we have they will be flecked, origi or brewster aren't good enough as long term cover up front if something goes wrong

I've made these same complaints in past Klopp seasons, particularly in relation to FullBack in the summer of 16/17 and CentreBack in the summer of 17/18. And everything has just sort of worked out.

So this summer, as much as I want reinforcements, i'm trying not to stress about it. What will be will be!

Did I see something today saying that this will be the lowest spend of any club in the summer window in the last 20 years?

Teams have gone without bringing anyone in before now though? Most recently, Spurs just last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Teams have gone without bringing anyone in before now though?

No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Considering we made 300 Million Pounds in revenue from TV and Champions League win it's a let down not to spend big on at least one player.
    Where did all the money go, to say we have 20m to spend is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Considering we made 300 Million Pounds in revenue from TV and Champions League win it's a let down not to spend big on at least one player.
    Where did all the money go, to say we have 20m to spend is a joke.

Saw a twitter thread about this earlier:

https://twitter.com/MoChatra/status/1155943518218547200?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Teams have gone without bringing anyone in before now though? Most recently, Spurs just last summer.

This summer has seen the fewest transfers in the PL to date. There was a graphic Sky showed late last week.

thumb_91172_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb_91174_default_news_size_5.jpegthumb-91194-default-news-size-5.jpg

thumb_91176_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb_91198_default_news_size_5.jpeg

thumb_91154_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

ERG89 wrote: »
    Saw a twitter thread about this earlier:

https://twitter.com/MoChatra/status/1155943518218547200?s=19

Lovren & Lallana would both be on 100k a week.

I would sell both players

thumb-91194-default-news-size-5.jpg

You leave that poor cube-shaped-man alone!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    This summer has seen the fewest transfers in the PL to date. There was a graphic Sky showed late last week.

Yeah, i'd definitely believe that, premier league is all tumbleweeds this year - but wouldn't be too sure that this summer of activity from Liverpool is the least spent by any club in 20 years. Even just whatever we end up paying for Elliott should put us over what Spurs spent last summer.

Seems we have a lot of overheads, the cost of competing at the top, and paying big wages to expensive players. Longevity is the key to a successful business , and it's a business whether we like it or not. Not spending this summer is better than being bankrupt in 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Just rewatched the 4-3 game at home to Palace there on sky from last season.

And it hit me. Unfortunately I cannot get excited for the season coming because the reality of not winning the league again, and again coming up short because of lack of strength in depth, in full back areas and up front will show us up again.

We got found out last season when TAA was injured and when Salah went through a barren spell at the same time. Lack of actual wing backs in reserve will be a massive problem for us again. Milner, Henderson, Gomez and Hoever are not wing backs. City brought in a spare wing back, just cos. We're going to miss Mane big time at the start, in addition to the lack of rhythm and form for Salah and Firmino and Shaqiri and any other attacker that plays.

We have lost 2 full backs and a striker and not replaced them. We needed them last season, let alone now. The squad has gone backwards.

And yeah this is a very negative post, but it's what I think right now.

• Advertisement

thumb_91172_default_news_size_5.jpeg

Salah not keeping up with transfers, he's like '' who the feck is that ?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah, i'd definitely believe that, premier league is all tumbleweeds this year - but wouldn't be too sure that this summer of activity from Liverpool is the least spent by any club in 20 years. Even just whatever we end up paying for Elliott should put us over what Spurs spent last summer.

Just on the Elliott transfer, word is that Fulham are pushing for the tribunal fee to go over £10m, that’d break the record for a compensation fee which we actually hold since the Ings signing. I don’t know if they can influence the fee too much, but it seems like a realistic sum.

We can only hope he turns out to be a bargain, because it’s still a lot of money for a completely unproven 17 year old.

I see a more even playing field this season, City to concentrate on CL more, and the league to be between at least 3 contenders with a winning total in the low 80's.
    We can afford to be 15 points worse off this season and still win it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

The lack of big money transfers across the top EPL this season is primarily going to effect 1. Clubs with ageing, over paid, entitled players that cannot be shifted and 2. Agents.
    I'm OK with that

Our preseason has been competitive compared to City's. I'd expect us to be sharper for the Cumuntity Shield .
    We've played some tough competition, they've played easy games against nobodies

garra wrote: »
    The lack of big money transfers across the top EPL this season is primarily going to effect 1. Clubs with ageing, over paid, entitled players that cannot be shifted and 2. Agents.
    I'm OK with that

I think we're going to see a climb down in fees as the Continental clubs are ripping off the English clubs plus agent fees are spiralling out of control. 70m each for Pepe and Fernandes for having a good season in ligue 1 and superliga, it's mad money. I and about 90% fans have never seen them kick a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just on the Elliott transfer, word is that Fulham are pushing for the tribunal fee to go over £10m, that’d break the record for a compensation fee which we actually hold since the Ings signing. I don’t know if they can influence the fee too much, but it seems like a realistic sum.

We can only hope he turns out to be a bargain, because it’s still a lot of money for a completely unproven 17 year old.

We got huge returns on the Ings and Solanke tribunal set fees to be fair so the club seem to know what they are doing.

Ings tribunal free £6.5m sold for a £20m plus a couple of million loan fee.

Solanke tribunal fee undisclosed but reported £6m sold for £19m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I see a more even playing field this season, City to concentrate on CL more, and the league to be between at least 3 contenders with a winning total in the low 80's.
    We can afford to be 15 points worse off this season and still win it .

You honestly think city are gonna get low 80s points total after getting 100/98 in last 2 seasons

not over 85 is my guess, but need the likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool to beat them at home. A defeat on the opening day away to West Ham would be great also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

They need more than 1 CB, the midfield is weak as well.
    None of the teams 3,4,5 will bridge the 25 pts gap next season . I still predict we should finish 10-15 pts ahead of 3rd place

Don't think there'll be much between ourselves and Spurs.

Too 3 then a significant points gap below that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

not over 85 is my guess, but need the likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool to beat them at home. A defeat on the opening day away to West Ham would be great also.

What is that based on though? They have strengthened a little, same manager, and the majority of teams are not going to have closed the gap anywhere near enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dickerty wrote: »
    What is that based on though? They have strengthened a little, same manager, and the majority of teams are not going to have closed the gap anywhere near enough...

Not to mention KdB is fit going into the season, barely played half of last season

8-10 wrote: »
    Not to mention KdB is fit going into the season, barely played half of last season

Exactly, he'll take over from David Silva more and more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah the reason we probably won't win the league this year is because of City and not because we don't have cover at left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah the reason we probably won't win the league this year is because of City and not because we don't have cover at left back

Well you're wrong.

The reason we're.not gonna win it is because we still have the same issues as last season whereas city strengthened.

Sure I can think of s dozen games where we were blessed to have somehow got the win. I can't see us being so lucky this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Seems we have a lot of overheads, the cost of competing at the top, and paying big wages to expensive players. Longevity is the key to a successful business , and it's a business whether we like it or not. Not spending this summer is better than being bankrupt in 10 years.

Yeah but with Climate change we'll all be dead by then, so I'd prefer we won the league before the planet explodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The only potential issue for City is the defence. Stones started the season as a regular but Guardiola had totally abandoned him and returned to Kompany as the main man alongside Laporte by the end of the season. I think Laporte is one of the best in the league but you wouldn't be too confident in either of the options for his partner, really. I think Stones is good but if Pep had lost faith in him last season, it might not say much for his chances.

If they don't replace Kompany, that would be one area where you'd have to say they are weaker - even just the number of options reducing - but otherwise, City are as strong, if not stronger, everywhere. Rodri as an actual Fernandinho back up/replacement is excellent, KDB potentially fit for the season... And let's not forget how good Bernardo was after a year under Pep. He was transformed by the start of last season after a quieter first season. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two others improve their performance.

Every team has their weaknesses but it's hard to suggest that City will trail off by 10-15 points given just how strong a team they are at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Well you're wrong.

The reason we're.not gonna win it is because we still have the same issues as last season whereas city strengthened.

Sure I can think of s dozen games where we were blessed to have somehow got the win. I can't see us being so lucky this time around.

You're wrong.

It'll be city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

noodler wrote: »
    You're wrong.

It'll be city.

Probably needs a poll to be certain

What exactly were our issues last season? We lost ONE game! We didn't get a lot out of Keita, lost Ox for the whole season, only bedded Fab after a few months, and played Sturridge more than Origi with limited return. I'd say we are already at a better starting point simply by not having to integrate 4 new players into the first team squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Well you're wrong.

We got 97pts

What game that we dropped points in were we completely outplayed? I'd argue the 0-0 home to City is the only game where we dropped points but were never going to win the game on the day. All other games we could have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well you're wrong.

Why is that luck?
    You don't get 97 points through luck.
    How many of City's points were lucky?

You can't expect a team to dominate every game against tough opposition. It's a great sign that they could win tough matches.
    The team and squad is good I don't get why people think they were lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

MarkY91 wrote:

I watched a good few city games towards end of season where I can say the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think he will put out the 2nd team this weekend. Rightly so.

Get the 3 points vs Norwich.

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think he will put out the 2nd team this weekend. Rightly so.

Get the 3 points vs Norwich.

I think he'll go with Migs, Gomez, Milner, Ox, and Wilnaldum & Wilson up front with Origi. I think they all make way next week except Gini back into midfield, and Origi still in with Mané not back.

City

Migs
    TAA
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robbo
    Fab
    Hendo
    Ox
    Gini
    Origi
    Wilson

Norwich

Allison
    TAA
    Matip
    VVD
    Robbo
    Fab
    Hendo
    Gini
    Bobby
    Origi
    Salah

Interesting that Klopp is pushing Gini as an attacking midfielder in pre-season, obviously considering that Keita is going to have a more active role, then we have too many midfielders when we only play 3. I wonder will we see more 4-4-2 games with Ox or Gini at the tip of the midfield. We get a lot of goals from the FBs and set pieces, definitely need a plan B to get more from through the middle...

Interesting that Klopp is pushing Gini as an attacking midfielder in pre-season, obviously considering that Keita is going to have a more active role, then we have too many midfielders when we only play 3. I wonder will we see more 4-4-2 games with Ox or Gini at the tip of the midfield. We get a lot of goals from the FBs and set pieces, definitely need a plan B to get more from through the middle...

Ya I think Klopp will have to rotate the forwards more this season to avoid burnout. Use Origi and Brewster more or also play more of a 3-5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think he'll go with Migs, Gomez, Milner, Ox, and Wilnaldum & Wilson up front with Origi. I think they all make way next week except Gini back into midfield, and Origi still in with Mané not back.

City

Migs
    TAA
    Gomez
    VVD
    Robbo
    Fab
    Hendo
    Ox
    Gini
    Origi
    Wilson

Norwich

Allison
    TAA
    Matip
    VVD
    Robbo
    Fab
    Hendo
    Gini
    Bobby
    Origi
    Salah

I say Allison will be played on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Well you're wrong.

A dozen. 12. So you're telling me there that 12 out of 30 of the games we won were lucky. Better than lucky, blessed you're saying.

This type of attitude I do not for the life of me understand. It feels like you're almost willing failure so you can be right.

I tell you the real issue of last season. We came up against probably the best domestic club side in the history of English football.

A dozen. Christ. Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

I say Allison will be played on Sunday

Agreed. No reason to ease him back in, hes a goalie, get him in. I want him playing the domestic Cup games too, especially if Mig is still our backup. Superb professional as proved last season, but just not good enough to be in our goal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement