Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If you're talking about the League or FA cups - we certainly don't.

Give me a a PL title tilt and advancing deep in the CL knockouts any year over a meaningless tin pot.

Yeah but this team needs to win something. It's like Man City years ago. Good team but needed to win that FA Cup and after that they had belief that they could go on to win things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Still sick after that. Should be used to it by now.
    Don't know why but last night hurts more than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Don't know why but last night hurts more than usual.

Probably because over the 90 minutes, we were the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whilst I was probably expecting a loss more than some others, I deffo didn't see it being all done and dusted in a night.

(Again, can also see us scoring 3 but never not conceding).

Newcastle now though. I want the pressure on City on Monday night.

I wonder will Origi, Shaq or less likely, Sturridge, have a chance of a start on Sat evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Yeah but this team needs to win something. It's like Man City years ago. Good team but needed to win that FA Cup and after that they had belief that they could go on to win things.

That's a totally false reading of what happened. The FA cup win for City was a natural consequence of them building a great side, the win didn't spur them to greatness.

This Liverpool side has demonstrated, even in a 3-0 defeat last night, that they can compete at the absolute highest levels both domestically and in Europe.

If we'd won the League and FA Cup this season and got knocked out of the Group stages and finished 6th in the PL, I'd have little to no confidence in our future.

Klopp will hopefully do next season what he did this one, prioritise the PL and CL and ignore commentators that say he 'needs to win something'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Absolutely gutted still. Can’t remember the last time a result hit me like this. The players must be distraught.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fromvert wrote: »
    Alisson - that wall was set up closer to inside his post than out. That's simple stuff. Gomez a foot outside the post Messi has to hit it further wide and bring it back in. Was a great free kick but it's the small margins.

Ah here, the free went into the top corner from 30 yards...

Barcelona unsurprisingly had no problem being conservative under Valverde bringing on defenders and not having possession. Madrid were in the game until they lost 5-1, Lyon were until they lost 5-1, Atletico were until they lost 2-0 in a late burst. It's the key, often late, moments.

Which Dembele's last miss might still be.

dfx- wrote: »
    Ah here, the free went into the top corner from 30 yards...

Barcelona unsurprisingly had no problem being conservative under Valverde bringing on defenders and not having possession. Madrid were in the game until they lost 5-1, Lyon were until they lost 5-1, Atletico were until they lost 2-0 in a late burst. It's the key, often late, moments.

Which Dembele's last miss might still be.

I still think the wall was a man short. Unbelievable free kick but thought the wall needed one more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

A keeper expert thinks it should have had one less in the wall, then Al would be a step further over and had a better chance of getting it.

Still think you have to good your hands up on that one, unreal technique from there. Was never a free, that's my gripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The reason it hurts more is because (a) we actually expected it to be a lot closer, and you can argue that it was much closer than the score line suggests and (b) we don’t lose that often anymore.

That in itself says a lot.

.G. wrote: »
    A keeper expert thinks it should have had one less in the wall, then Al would be a step further over and had a better chance of getting it.

Still think you have to good your hands up on that one, unreal technique from there. Was never a free, that's my gripe.

There were definitely a few dodgy decisions went against us. I think the reason people are so knocked by this result is because we played so well. Certainly deserve better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I felt we where the better team but they took there chances and we didn't .

When we didn't score in the first half there is always the chance the game gets away from you as you chase the away goal and they try to pick you off,

Its very hard to chase the game against them because it means you have to leave Messi space which is asking for trouble ,

Mane, Milner, and MO all should have scored and that would have changed the tie ,How did all 3 miss , in the end that is the difference,

I thought Matip and Robbo where brilliant, I also felt Naby looked great till he had to go off and it unbalanced us a bit ,

We need to win at Newcastle on Saturday and the just go from there ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm loving the joy others are getting out of this.

Once again, it shows how far we've come.

It'll likely be trophyless, but I'm struggling to remember ever enjoying supporting the club more.

Maybe 08/09 pre-Macheda?
    Maybe 13/14 pre-Palace?

While I lost my mind with the CL win in 05, the team didn't bring me the same enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Absolutely gutted still. Can’t remember the last time a result hit me like this. The players must be distraught.

Yeah for some reason this has struck me worse than the final last year.

jpboard1 wrote: »
    I still think the wall was a man short. Unbelievable free kick but thought the wall needed one more.

The free kick was unreal but he also took it 5 yards forward than where the foul ,
    Fab fouled him in the dark patch of grass the free was taken from well within the light patch ,

• Advertisement

I felt we where the better team but they took there chances and we didn't .

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

balls to the wall on tuesday , batter them and see what happens , yeah sure barca might score but we already out as it stands

They didnt have that many chances tbh , just that little magician

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Just seen a behind the goal angle of he free-kick. Why have we only 4 men in the wall? In my opinion we are a man short at the side he put it. Unreal finish of course but you cannot give him any sort of an opener

https://twitter.com/georgiestuart23/status/1123691876702404619?s=12

Yeah for some reason this has struck me worse than the final last year.

Because we bossed this game for large parts, on their turf. No one does that to Barca at home. Plus, we are not used to losing games like that. We’ve come a long way :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The free kick was unreal but he also took it 5 yards forward than where the foul ,
    Fab fouled him in the dark patch of grass the free was taken from well within the light patch ,

Let's not be those types.

• Advertisement

Just seen a behind the goal angle of he free-kick. Why have we only 4 men in the wall? In my opinion we are a man short at the side he put it. Unreal finish of course but you cannot give him any sort of an opener

That was my thinking. Should have been a 5th man and one step over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

One big thing that stuck out for me last night was how much we missed TAA. Many of our average performances this season has been when he has been missing. There was no pressure down the right from Gomez so when Salah was attacking down that side, there was no other threat Barca had to deal with making it much more difficult for Salah to create.

I can understand why he was dropped but I think he has to start next week.

spockety wrote: »
    Let's not be those types.

Did the ball nick off Gomez ?

I truly admire Luis Suarez for never changing ,
    He is such a p*ick its just delightful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

https://twitter.com/georgiestuart23/status/1123691876702404619?s=12

Would've made no difference whatsoever.

Also, from that distance, keepers often prefer to simply have a view of the striking of the ball rather than loading the wall, believing that 35 yards is plenty enough to react to whatever the taker does.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Would've made no difference whatsoever.

Depends what end you put the extra man on ,
    The ball seemed clipped Gomez shoulder,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool can't really complain about stealing a few yards for a free kick after Gary Mc did V Everton where he stole about 15 yards to score

jpboard1 wrote:
    There were definitely a few dodgy decisions went against us. I think the reason people are so knocked by this result is because we played so well. Certainly deserve better

Absolutely, said it last night I genuinely thought we were the better team, do our jobs properly and we'd be 2-1 up and then who knows what happens. The last few chances for them don't happen if we aren't chasing an away goal. 3-3 would have been a good result on the balance of play, 3 nil is just unbelievable. It was never a 3 nil "hammering" as was mentioned many many times last night.

Every ones a bit stunned today but who knows maybe City slip up this weekend,

Also if you had to pick any team to come back from 3-0 down in a home leg it would be us , although it seems very very unlikely,

As soon as I saw the view from ground level of the free kick, I had no defensive complaints...only superlatives.

I'm intrigued as to how well approach the next two.

The dampest of all squibs would be failing to win in Sat and the whole thing being wrapped up on Sat night. Yet I wonder will someone need a rest on sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The wall should have been a half meter to their right. They gave him the space.

• Advertisement

Just hope we can pull off a Roma from last season but they did have that away goal but also went into the 2nd leg at home 3 goals down. That would be some result if Liverpool managed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I honestly think the tie is far from over, and if I'm being honest, I'd fancy us to score at least 3 goals at Anfield (its not like we haven't done it before in big CL games at home).

Obviously we'll need to keep Barca scoreless, but even if they did score, us scoring 5 isn't really beyond the realms of possibility.

Bring it on I say.

Ah will yea come off it, the delusion of this post is unreal. Liverpool are all but out , the fact you say 5 goals isnt out of the question show how deluded you really are.

Do you even factor in this team has to play again away to Newcastle on Saturday and then again on Tuesday to Barcelona. The team will be pretty much unchanged . I give them very little hope to score 3 goals never mind 5 !

noodler wrote: »
    As soon as I saw the view from ground level of the free kick, I had no defensive complaints...only superlatives.

I'm intrigued as to how well approach the next two.

The dampest of all squibs would be failing to win in Sat and the whole thing being wrapped up on Sat night. Yet I wonder will someone need a rest on sat

Newcastle has to be strongest 11 no resting anyone for the Barca game its gone now baring a miracle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Every ones a bit stunned today but who knows maybe City slip up this weekend,

Also if you had to pick any team to come back from 3-0 down in a home leg it would be us , although it seems very very unlikely,

UCL is over, but I do have a feeling city will draw one of their last 2 games.

Ah will yea come off it, the delusion of this post is unreal. Liverpool are all but out , the fact you say 5 goals isnt out of the question show how deluded you really are.

Do you even factor in this team has to play again away to Newcastle on Saturday and then again on Tuesday to Barcelona. The team will be pretty much unchanged . I give them very little hope to score 3 goals never mind 5 !

Its very very unlikely they can go through but ..................A Liverpool goal in the first 20 minutes on Tuesday and god knows what happens, strange things happen on European nights at Anfield ,

I think Salah's miss was the nail in the coffin

Newcastle has to be strongest 11 no resting anyone for the Barca game its gone now baring a miracle

I'm not thinking so much about restijg people for Barca. More wondering would some need a genuine rest in their own right.

Barca game will take care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Very hard to compute what happened last night.

Hindsight is wonderful and all that jazz but it is hard to accept that Trent picked up an award only a few days ago for being the best right back in the league and then gets dropped for a champions league semi final and is replaced by a centre back coming off a long layoff.

We attack with our full backs, they are vital to how we play. I do accept that Trent tends to look nervy in some big games and got a few roastings down his wing in previous weeks but ultimately we lost an avenue of attack down the right wing when we took him out as well as losing his set piece delivery’s etc

Wijnaldums position was just bizarre also. I understand Klopps hand was forced a bit with the Firmino injury but don’t think an away game to Barcelona in the champions league is a good game to go experimenting with positions

On the flip side though we played well for the most part. Felt we numbed the atmosphere in the second half when we dominated possession and we looked well placed to find an equalizer but poor finishing cost us.

The only positive swing I can put on a heavy defeat is that maybe just maybe you could argue that 3-0 is a dangerous lead, at 2-0 Barca know it’s still not over but at 3-0 there’s the (slight) possibility that Barca may think the tie is dead and underestimate the away leg. Score an early goal and who knows, stranger things have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I assume most of us in our professional work lives have to analyse why things go wrong when they do. And I assume again that most of us who get paid to do work like that are able to detach ourselves from the result in of itself when we assess such things. Conversations around sport often tend towards simple declarative narratives. The decisive nature of last night's result is perfect for such conversation. Liverpool were "hammered", there was a "massive gulf in class", "it could have been 4 or 5 in the end", "Liverpool remain losers". My appeal to you all this morning is to ignore such chat as best you can remembering that you wouldn't be susceptible to it in your work environment.

The harsh reality is that we played 46 games this year to get us to a final stretch of four games with nothing won or guaranteed. In most Premier League seasons we'd already have had the league locked up like Barcelona had La Liga locked up, but City and their wall of money is now a thing. But we weren't that lucky, and an entire season therefore came down to a tiny subsection of the whole. How that tiny subsection turns out at the end doesn't invalidate all of the great football that got us this far. Finishing 2nd in the Premier League and losing to Messi and Barcelona over two legs in a European Cup Final won't mean it was a bad season. It will be disappointing, but it isn't indicative of any fundamental flaw in the coaching staff, the players, the overall approach.

If you reran last night's game numerous times I'd suggest 3 - 0 would be very unlikely to reoccur. We'd nick a goal from our dominant period more times than not; that second goal doesn't end up in the net more times than not; Salah doesn't miss that chance more times than not; etc. The point is not to wave away the reality: it did happen and we did lose 3 - 0 and we are out of Europe and it is bitterly disappointing. But in terms of the things we could control and influence, in terms of assessing our performance: we turned up and lived with them. We got the worst outcome relative to how we played on the night. And that's harsh, but there's no justice in sport. Messi and Suarez and Barcelona won't care.

Tight margins in a couple of key games decide whether you're champions or not. What FSG and Klopp are tasked with is creating a platform that gets us into those key games year in, year out. And then you hope that you nick a couple here or there over a five year period. That's all they can do. You can control the foundations of how you operate; the financial stability of the club; the player acquisition process; having the right coaching staff; having a philosophy knitted together throughout the different club structures. You can't control all the little bounces in the 90 minutes of the one or two key games in a year. We lost those bounces against Madrid last year. We came back to lose them again against Barcelona this year. The challenge is to get back there again in the coming couple of years, and maybe they'll fall our way next time.

Overall we're doing a lot of really good things and we have an excellent base to move forward off. The future is bright, that's what we need to try and focus on over the coming weeks and months. Tune the rest out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool can't really complain about stealing a few yards for a free kick after Gary Mc did V Everton where he stole about 15 yards to score

Don't bring it up. One of my first big memories of a derby and I've hated him ever since. Couldn't believe he scored it :pac:

• Advertisement

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Wijnaldums position was just bizarre also. I understand Klopps hand was forced a bit with the Firmino injury but don’t think an away game to Barcelona in the champions league is a good game to go experimenting with positions

Keita got injured and Firmino wasn't fit. It wasn't plan A, it was plan C. It didn't work out, but clearly the decision to maintain our default shape and have a mobile presence leading the press gave us long periods of control: so the decision had a lot of merit within a very difficult set of circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Lads can we stop trying to find a defender fault in there first and third goals .
    Sometimes teams just score brilliant goals that nobody is at fault for just have to congratulate the attacking team.

I walk away very disappointed and thinking 3-0 is probably to big a hill to climb , but we went into the nou camp as equals to Barca last night , recognising that we are now top tier in Europe and it is about imposing our game and not trying to nick a result.
    That makes me very proud of our team .

If we draw them again next year I will have no fear .
    This is not a lucky run we have been on , this is a team that is genuinely one of the best in the world and the rewards for that will eventually come.

I don't have any worries over Saturday after last night anyway. Players will be filled with anger and frustration after that, not shell shocked like you would be having being outplayed. They'll take that out on Saturday first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

dogbert27 wrote: »
    That's not the whole story - after winning the FA Cup they strengthened the first team with the likes of Aguero, Clichy and Nasri. Those three players accounted for a large portion of the team's goals and assists in the 2011/12 season and pushed Man City from ~70 points to ~90 points. That was the difference between qualifying for the Champions League (3rd/4th) and challenging for the league title (1st/2nd).

Liverpool made the equivalent leap this season by stabilising the defensive shape of the team. With 2 games remaining we have already surpassed the points total of almost every league title winning team for the past 20 years.

Guardiola's Man City have raised the bar considerably higher than it was in 2011/12 and for now winning the title means getting ~100 points. That doesn't leave much of a margin for error over the course of a season. A team can only drop points in 5~7 games over the course of the season if they want to win the league.

Winning a domestic cup competition is not going to motivate this group of players any more than they already are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Just remember that to find fault in the first or third goal is to say that one of the worlds best defenders and worlds best keepers should have been better.

Would anyone else have done any better?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lads can we stop trying to find a defender fault in there first and third goals .
    Sometimes teams just score brilliant goals that nobody is at fault for just have to congratulate the attacking team.

For the first goal, Gomez was caught out again with the biggest flaw in his game, how to react to a ball going over his head to a wide area.
    He has been caught out too many times with this in his short career.

But I can't fault anyone on the pitch last night.
    I felt sorry for Gini chasing and chasing last night and getting nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think if we score in the first half on Tuesday, who knows what will happen. Barcelona obviously massive favorites to progress but I'd love us to give them a scare.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I see them scoring against us.

Just looking at the foul leading up to the goal and how Messi moved the ball for the free kick. Great free kick, but should have been a foul and if so, should have been taken from a very different spot.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Just looking at the foul leading up to the goal and how Messi moved the ball for the free kick. Great free kick, but should have been a foul and if so, should have been taken from a very different spot.

Just one of the many things on the night tbh:

- them not being put into yellow card trouble early for repeated tactical fouling
    - Keita going off injured
    - Gomez's great ball just skipping up on Mane enough to make it a difficult chance
    - Milner managing to put a sitter straight at the keeper after some lovely play
    - Every touch and bounce going their way for the second goal
    - Them getting a very soft free for Messi to be Messi with it
    - Salah hitting the post when a goal right then might have changed things

The tie ended with Salah hitting the post imo - what happened / happens from there is largely immaterial.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Ref let them away with too much last night

Add to how fast the ball boys where at getting the ball while at 0-0 compared to when they went 1 up :)

There are always going to be frustrating things unfortunately in every match. We just need to be ready for all that next week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement