Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    For the first goal, Gomez was caught out again with the biggest flaw in his game, how to react to a ball going over his head to a wide area.
    He has been caught out too many times with this in his short career.

But I can't fault anyone on the pitch last night.
    I felt sorry for Gini chasing and chasing last night and getting nothing.

Gomez was fine for the first goal , I feel he is being blamed as people are afraid to blame VVD a bit like no one called out Messi for his rolling around antics

The ball was played overGomez head and he got out and held up Couthino ,This literally happens to full backs of both teams about 20 times per game ,

The fact Hendo was to passive (maybe because he was just on ) and didn't block the cross was the starting problem, he just hung a lazy leg at it, , Then VVD was the problem

1: step up in line with his CB to play offside,
    2: scream at Matip to drop off in line with him ,
    3: Stay with the runner

VVD is the best CB in the world but I thought he had a poor game by his standard last night, Matip was far better,

I think Gini did ok pressing but gave nothing attacking ,
    In hindsight a fit Bobby and I reckon we would have scored ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Did the ball nick off Gomez ?

I truly admire Luis Suarez for never changing ,
    He is such a p*ick its just delightful

I have to admit to repeatedly thinking how much I loved him during the match. I even loved the fact that he celebrated like a lunatic when he scored. Would love to have him in this Liverpool squad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gomez was fine for the first goal , I feel he is being blamed as people are afraid to blame VVD a bit like no one called out Messi for his rolling around antics

The ball was played overGomez head and he got out and held up Couthino ,This literally happens to full backs of both teams about 20 times per game ,

The fact Hendo was to passive (maybe because he was just on ) and didn't block the cross was the starting problem, he just hung a lazy leg at it, , Then VVD was the problem

1: step up in line with his CB to play offside,
    2: scream at Matip to drop off in line with him ,
    3: Stay with the runner

VVD is the best CB in the world but I thought he had a poor game by his standard last night, Matip was far better,

I think Gini did ok pressing but gave nothing attacking ,
    In hindsight a fit Bobby and I reckon we would have scored ,

It really doesn't, a full back would be a little bit closer and close the gap while the ball is in the air by reading the flight of the ball.

Gomez stops, turns and allows the wide player to pick up the ball and control it and doesn't close the gap. He's done this many times and still hasn't sorted it out.

I see them scoring against us.

Just looking at the foul leading up to the goal and how Messi moved the ball for the free kick. Great free kick, but should have been a foul and if so, should have been taken from a very different spot.

I said this this morning, He moved it over 5 yards , he is unreal but he does get away with Murder,

Who was it Busquets that chopped down Fab in front of the ref and no yellow ? The right back grabbing Mane's jersey right in front of the ref and nothing , Messi made a tackle on Gomez that was a yellow for anyone else again the ref never even spoke to him

Barca always get away with murder,

It really doesn't, a full back would be a little bit closer and close the gap while the ball is in the air by reading the flight of the ball.

Gomez stops, turns and allows the wide player to pick up the ball and control it and doesn't close the gap. He's done this many times and still hasn't sorted it out.

But for the goal he still got out and held up Phil , Phil made the same pass he would have if Gomez was close

How many times last night did there full backs do the same and Mane/Salah played the same ball to our full back as Alba got ?

The difference was Hendo didn't close Alba properly and our CB where not organised , Didn't help when we where in that situation it was Gini in the middle who had no idea how to make a runs like Suarez,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Did the ball nick off Gomez ?

I truly admire Luis Suarez for never changing ,
    He is such a p*ick its just delightful

Theres one replay where it looked like it nicked his shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

For the first goal, Gomez was caught out again with the biggest flaw in his game, how to react to a ball going over his head to a wide area.
    He has been caught out too many times with this in his short career.

Unbelievable the amount of times he misjudged simple balls over his head. In the second half alone he must have misread about three easy, straight balls to him. He got underneath, or too far forward, of them a few times, leaving the ball bounce or losing the resulting 50/50.

Still, we played some great stuff last night. Don't think we could have done any more...except score! It was one of the best Liverpool performances I've seen away from home in Europe...and against the European elite. We dominated Barca in the Nou Camp. Even Messi said after they were "asphyxiaed" by us. That is what makes the scoreline so infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah the scoreline simply wasn't reflective of the way the game flowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I think if we score in the first half on Tuesday, who knows what will happen. Barcelona obviously massive favorites to progress but I'd love us to give them a scare.

This, make them earn it and let them be thankful when that final whistle goes. They will win the tie but let them know that Liverpool are a force and we meet them again things will be different.
    Love to see us kick a few of the usual actors too

I said this this morning, He moved it over 5 yards , he is unreal but he does get away with Murder,

Who was it Busquets that chopped down Fab in front of the ref and no yellow ? The right back grabbing Mane's jersey right in front of the ref and nothing , Messi made a tackle on Gomez that was a yellow for anyone else again the ref never even spoke to him

Barca always get away with murder,

Rakitic chopping down keita too, more than likely leading to his groin injury. No yellow.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Rakitic chipping down keita too, more than likely leading to his groin injury. No yellow.

By half time there right back, and two CM , should have been on yellows ,
    All worse than Fab block on Messi that got him a yellow ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Doesn't matter how we played the the result of the only thing that does.

Messi is Messi of course but there were times where they paid him far too much respect I thought.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just one of the many things on the night tbh:
    - Gomez's great ball just skipping up on Mane enough to make it a difficult chance

Henderson put that ball in.

I seen Wenger and Rio saying the same thing , VVD at fault for the first ,

Both said he has to be Matips eyes and ear's and what makes it worse is he can see Suarez pointing to the spot he wants it, VVD just froze and it cost us ,

Best CB in the world but he made a mistake that cost us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Yeah the scoreline simply wasn't reflective of the way the game flowed.

Not often a team will have edge possession at the Nou Camp but the scoreline does tell the story of the game; Barcelona took the chances that came their way and Liverpool didn't.

I seen Wenger and Rio saying the same thing , VVD at fault for the first ,

Both said he has to be Matips eyes and ear's and what makes it worse is he can see Suarez pointing to the spot he wants it, VVD just froze and it cost us ,

Best CB in the world but he made a mistake that cost us

Basically he was just ball watching. Great ball in from Alba...VVD has Suarez in front , can see the run, yet doesn't react. Doesn't go with the run and stands watching. Happens to the best if them. These things happen so quick, and Suarez makes a great run its hard to 'blame' anyone. But we're looking at how it could be stopped then VVD follows Suarez and blocks the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

3-0 is fine, set's it up beautifully. I'd expect we'll be 2-0 up after 20 minutes in second leg. Probably end up with 4 or 5. They are weak at back, won't handle the occasion.
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    For 99% of that game salah made Messi look like Sean dundee
    I honestly think the tie is far from over, and if I'm being honest, I'd fancy us to score at least 3 goals at Anfield (its not like we haven't done it before in big CL games at home).

Obviously we'll need to keep Barca scoreless, but even if they did score, us scoring 5 isn't really beyond the realms of possibility.

Bring it on I say.
    Rakitic chopping down keita too, more than likely leading to his groin injury. No yellow.

I really hope all 4 of these were sarcastic...there is some proper nonsense in there :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tomw86 wrote: »
    I really hope all 4 of these were sarcastic...there is some proper nonsense in there :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

First 3 I agree but what's the problem with the last one ?

The tackle on Keita was poor and he never recovered he went off almost straight away,

His leg was caught under Rakatic and looked like it caused his groin issue,

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Gomez was woeful ... was it him that turned the ball over in the lead up to the second?? ... he was abysmal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

If you were to analyse the first 2 goals, you could probably find fault somewhere.

Ive also heard that Messi stole yards for the free kick....how true that is, I dont know.

What wont be said by any analysts is that against Messi, there is no system to stop him.....you change x, then y is weaker etc....its about priorities. Stooping Messi means there are gaps for someone else

The fact is they scored with pretty much all their chances up to 80 mins.......we missed 3-4 chances that were arguably better than what they scored and thats what lost us the game

Firmino not starting was a big loss.......Gini looked lost
    Keita injured was another kick in the b***s

I have no issue with Gomez starting, Id say Klopp and him had been working on that for weeks....granted he was a bit rusty, but I didnt fancy TAA v Alba.

Sat is what matters now, and hopefully BR can do us a favour on Monday night

Up the Reds

First 3 I agree but what's the problem with the last one ?

The tackle on Keita was poor and he never recovered he went off almost straight away,

His leg was caught under Rakatic and looked like it caused his groin issue,

A tackle can't really cause a groin issue. It can cause a broken leg/ankle/shoulder injury but not a torn muscle.

He also didn't chop him down, and certainly not worthy of a yellow for a first offence.

Rakitic tackles, and wraps his legs around, from behind when keita was breaking from midfield. Keita goes down injured and is subbed a few mins later with a groin injury.

I think the "nonsense" you speak of is Rakitic not getting a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

A tackle can't really cause a groin issue. It can cause a broken leg/ankle/shoulder injury but not a torn muscle.

He also didn't chop him down, and certainly not worthy of a yellow for a first offence.

0_Champions-League-Semi-Final-First-Leg-FC-Barcelona-v-Liverpool.jpg

Where can you not see there was a danger to the tackle and even if it was his 1st offence it should have been a yellow card, that was a clear text book yellow card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Are you serious, that was a yellow card all day, irrespective of how early or late it was in a game that is dangerous play.

Now who's talking nonsense.

Of course a tackle can cause a muscle injury! What are you talking about?. Keita is running away from Rakitic and cyclically gets taken out from behind. No attempt to play the ball. The fact he's running and his leg get twisted in an unnatural position could easily lead to a groin injury where the muscle gets pulled in a direction it shouldn't .

Jesus. Why am I even explaining this.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I should clarify - the tackle cannot be directly attributable to the groin injury, no way to show that unless you know Naby personally. As mentioned he played on afterwards so could've been picked up running or stretching after that.

My opinion is it was not a yellow. There was worse offences that went unpunished too, like the pull back on Salah, yellow all day, and I think one by Jordi Alba.
    But the referee was equally as poor for both sides on that count, Milner could have seen yellow for the challenge off the ball on Messi.

Have a look at the picture up above. It's his left leg that Rakitic wraps around as keita is sprinting away. A few mins later keita goes down with a groin injury in his left leg. I don't need to know the lad personally to know that that tackle had a bearing on him going off injured.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

0_Champions-League-Semi-Final-First-Leg-FC-Barcelona-v-Liverpool.jpg

Where can you not see there was a danger to the tackle and even if it was his 1st offence it should have been a yellow card, that was a clear text book yellow card

The ref obviously didn't have a good view of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Keita out for the rest of the season anyways apparently, early prognosis is about a month. If miracles happen next week he might have a chance for the final but unlikely.

Are you for real ?
    Groin injuries can 100% be caused sudden by over extension caused by a tackle, same ways as ligaments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Little worried about Keita's injuries.

I guess it's been different things and all but (it feels?) He's been injured an awful lot for someone whose gametime was so limited.

Haha.....****ing hell.

Are you for real ?
    Groin injuries can 100% be caused sudden by over extension caused by a tackle, same ways as ligaments

Yes they can, but as he didn't go off directly after the Rakitic challenge you cannot say he definitely caused it.

That's my point.

And it wasn't a yellow:P

noodler wrote: »
    Little worried about Keita's injuries.

I guess it's been different things and all but (it feels?) He's been injured an awful lot for someone whose gametime was so limited.

Don't mention the war - some boyos get sensitive over the subject.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the replay of that tackle, you can nearly see it popping as Keita is falling. His leg is trapped and he's falling forward.

Yes they can, but as he didn't go off directly after the Rakitic challenge you cannot say he definitely caused it.

That's my point.

You do realise that most players try to run off an injury before succumbing to it. Especially a groin injury.

First of all you laughably stated tackles couldn't cause muscle injuries, three posts later they now can. Ha ha and It can't be a yellow because it was his first offence. Ha ha ha ha.
    You haven't a clue mate.
    Good luck.

Haha.....****ing hell.

Please see my updated posts. No way you can say the injury was a direct cause of the tackle. It could have been, but unless Naby said so - and I'm happy to be shown he did - then you can't say it. he didn't go off directly after that challenge but played on and actually only went off after stretching to tackle a player going by him...that might have equally caused it.

Not like Ramos in the final last year where he 100% caused the injury to Salah. It's not as clear cut as that with a muscle Injury unless they go off directly after the challenge/

That's my point.

It was a reckless challenge and should have been a yellow card

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

"Reckless" means that the player has acted with complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent : a player who plays in a reckless manner shall be cautioned

That's my point.

He got treatment on the 22nd minute stood up holding his groin and was whingeing in pain and then went off in the 24th minute,

Strangle enough that tackle, the Busquets one on Fab and the shirt tug on Mane the ref was looking straight at all 3 , If he didn't see them he shouldn't be refereeing ,

I reckon the Busquets was the worst of them no idea how he didn't get a yellow and that would have changed his game as he constantly makes fouls ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Rakitic joins Ramos on the LFC sh1t-list. I wonder what noise would be made if Milner had tackled Messi in a similar fashion and he had to go off?

• Advertisement

Please see my updated posts. No way you can say the injury was a direct cause of the tackle. It could have been, but unless Naby said so - and I'm happy to be shown he did - then you can't say it. he didn't go off directly after that challenge but played on and actually only went off after stretching to tackle a player going by him...that might have equally caused it.

Not like Ramos in the final last year where he 100% caused the injury to Salah. It's not as clear cut as that with a muscle Injury unless they go off directly after the challenge/

So you were likely wrong and moved the goal posts

tenor.gif

You do realise that most players try to run off an injury before succumbing to it. Especially a groin injury.

First of all you laughably stated tackles couldn't cause muscle injuries, three posts later they now can. Ha ha and It can't be a yellow because it was his first offence. Ha ha ha ha.
    You haven't a clue mate.
    Good luck.

I said you can't attribute a tackle directly to a muscle injury. Muscle injuries are not impact injuries. It could have been as he stretching to avoid the challenge, as he was on the run, or as he was trying to run it off.

Simply there is no way to know unless the player says so.

And I didn't say it can't be a yellow because it was a first offence, maybe you need to learn to read, I said I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant a yellow for a first offence. That's my opinion and obviously yours is skewed with rose tinted glasses.

I actually wanted Liverpool to win and prefer them to win the league despite not supporting them myself.

It was a reckless challenge and should have been a yellow card

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

"Reckless" means that the player has acted with complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent : a player who plays in a reckless manner shall be cautioned

So Milner was reckless too....

garra wrote: »
    Rakitic joins Ramos on the LFC sh1t-list. I wonder what noise would be made if Milner had tackled Messi in a similar fashion and he had to go off?

nothing of course, Messi rolled like 7 times, Went to ref after every tackle by anyone moaning , moved his free kick forward 5 yards, Took Gomez out of it no yellow and not once is it aloud even be mentioned by anyone

He is the best player that ever lived no question for me but when people say he gets fouled and gets on with it that is a blatant lie ,

He got treatment on the 22nd minute stood up holding his groin and was whingeing in pain and then went off in the 24th minute,

Strangle enough that tackle, the Busquets one on Fab and the shirt tug on Mane the ref was looking straight at all 3 , If he didn't see them he shouldn't be refereeing ,

I reckon the Busquets was the worst of them no idea how he didn't get a yellow and that would have changed his game as he constantly makes fouls ,

Sorry it was the Busquets tackle I was thinking of earlier when I said Jordi Alba...I agree tho, himself and whoever committed the shirt pull (think it was Sergio Roberto) should have seen yellow without a doubt.

So you were likely wrong and moved the goal posts

tenor.gif

Yes and No, I didn't explain myself properly in the initial posts.

Since when has shoulder to shoulder been reckless? It was dirty as the ball was won and out of play by a second when he did it.

Messi rolling around as if he was shot was more shocking

yes

I said you can't attribute a tackle directly to a muscle injury. Muscle injuries are not impact injuries. It could have been as he stretching to avoid the challenge, as he was on the run, or as he was trying to run it off.

Simply there is no way to know unless the player says so.

And I didn't say it can't be a yellow because it was a first offence, maybe you need to learn to read, I said I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant a yellow for a first offence. That's my opinion and obviously yours is skewed with rose tinted glasses.

I actually wanted Liverpool to win and prefer them to win the league despite not supporting them myself.

Read your own posts mate.
    "Tackle can't cause a groin issue" and "tackle not worthy of a yellow card for a first offence".
    Rubbish.
    I don't care who you support either. Or if you want us to win. Couldn't care less.
    You're stating your own opinions on here which is grand, but I didn't expect you to start back tracking and "clarifying" your own posts so soon after making them. At least have the courage of your convictions.
    Bye .

• Advertisement

Since when has shoulder to shoulder been reckless? It was dirty as the ball was won and out of play by a second when he did it.

Messi rolling around as if he was shot was more shocking

It was reckless as 1) the ball was gone and 2) it was close to the edge of the pitch so danger of landing somewhere that could cause injury.

You cannot simply run across the pitch and shoulder someone with force who doesn't have the ball and then shrug you shoulders and say it was a shoulder and that's allowed :rolleyes: Yes it is, when the ball is in play and being contested for.

Messi made a meal of it, but this is Barcelona after all so should be expected. He did similar against Chelsea at the start of his career to get Asier Del Horno sent off and it worked, I was fuming at the little pr1ck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement