Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thistles and sheep

• 02-05-2019 7:58am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If we were cattle farmers we could top fields but being lowly sheep men, we don’t have a mower (or time) to be our topping fields.

So...

What other options are there? Spraying, reseeding, trying to a contractor in to top it?

There’s a few docks too but tis mostly thistles are the problem.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If we were cattle farmers we could top fields but being lowly sheep men, we don’t have a mower (or time) to be our topping fields.

So...

What other options are there? Spraying, reseeding, trying to a contractor in to top it?

There’s a few docks too but tis mostly thistles are the problem.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Spraying is best, any of your other options only makes it worse, they really destroy lambs that have orf
    Have you a neighbour that would spray them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Yeah, I can get a lad to do a bit of spraying. Thanks.

They seem to really impact on lambs alright, especially as they get older and graze more. Had a lad whose whole face and head swelled up last year

They seem to really impact on lambs alright, especially as they get older and graze more. Had a lad whose whole face and head swelled up last year

When I took over here, the farm was heavily infested with thistles and I had to spray them for a few years to get rid,
    I just spray a few bunches now when I'm spot spraying nettles with Grazon, However Grazon doesn't seem to be good on thistle, It works well here on nettles though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Its not cheap but 'Thistlex' is the best one to kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Country lad

Its not cheap but 'Thistlex' is the best one to kill them.

Always use mcpa.on thistles and find other great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Cut em in July and they will die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Willfarman wrote: »

I don’t know Will, I used to believe that, and have been topping in July for a few years and it’s just getting worse. In glas, so cannt blanket spray. Going to have to do something about it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Never came across this tbh. Is it one particular variety of thistle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'd agree with Will - top em in July, before they seed and they'll reduce year on year...

Don't go near em before this though, they must be left alone til July

Used to have a field that was destroyed with em, and used to mow em in July and they all disappeared over a few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'd agree with Will - top em in July, before they seed and they'll reduce year on year...

Used to have a field that was destroyed with em, and used to mow em in July and they all disappeared over a few years...

Maybe they need to be mowed instead of topped ? Skinning them right down to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Maybe they need to be mowed instead of topped ? Skinning them right down to the ground

I dont know... But it wasnt as if I had a fancy mower :D

I had fairly rubbish finger-bar mower, that made a fine job of thistles, but you'd have to wait for the grass to be well bare before you could use it, otherwise it just got blocked constantly... :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Do they need to sprayed in July too for maximum effect?

Do they need to sprayed in July too for maximum effect?

No they'd be too strong
    Spray when they're all up and growing well, probably the end may

No spay needed after cutting. The rain kind of makes them rot to the root.

No spay needed after cutting. The rain kind of makes them rot to the root.

It'd disgust me to have thistles around until july, my land would be mowed twice by july to maintain grass quality, despite being cut twice the thistles actually throve and multiplied

If you cut before they flower that’s what they do.

Well it's not the way I manage grassland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

" cut them in June its a month too soon
    cut in July they wilt and die"
    Old theory was the thistle contains a lot of minerals and above brings them to the surface.

Don't think there were too many extensive sheep farmers these days though.

Best time to spray is when the buds are on but before they start flowering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

for the last few years I've put the knapsack on heading out checkin stock spraying as i went and its severely knocked the amount of thistles around.
    of course the good ground gets topped when needed and when it gets too strong i swap the knapsack for a sickle on the rough ground

Advertisement