Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

• 02-05-2019 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Spend spend spend!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Unless you're banned banned banned.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Unless you're banned banned banned.

If we're banned we'll have to re-call the loan army of the dead.

If we're in the EL, we'll be ok, if we get into the CL, the current squad is woefully under prepared, we'd get out of a group but after that, its anyones guess as to how well we'd do, all without our best player too.

• Or you continue to buy ****e ****e ****e

*edit* FS Gav broke the cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They do have a couple of players on loan that could be good enough with the right coaching. Rahmann, Zouma, Bakayoko, Morata, Moses....

I think Pulisic might be a bust though. But he'll help make them dollars even if he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Weepsie wrote: »
    They do have a couple of players on loan that could be good enough with the right coaching. Rahmann, Zouma, Bakayoko, Morata, Moses....

I think Pulisic might be a bust though. But he'll help make them dollars even if he is.

Morata on Loan? I get rid hes been dire anytime I watched him. I always liked Zouma tho , could be something for him in the Chelsea squad yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool

OUT
    Sturridge (free) Moreno (free) Mignolet likely, Lallana likely, possible James Milner to Leeds. Various flotsam and jetsam

IN
    GK, Left back, AM, FWD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Rahmann and Moses could be playing under a Pep & Fergie hybrid and still look sh/te. Morata has it in him (somewhere) but not in the prem. Zouma and Bakayoko I agree, in the right system are CL level players, not for Chelsea though I suspect although Zouma might well get a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Everybody to try and sign Ajax players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United:
    Dump 90% of the squad.
    Buy some players who actually care if the win or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool

OUT
    Sturridge (free) Moreno (free) Mignolet likely, Lallana likely, possible James Milner to Leeds. Various flotsam and jetsam

IN
    GK, Left back, AM, FWD

Acquiring a decent backup keeper happy to sit on the bench will be difficult.
    No ideas where we'll go for the two or three additions we'll likely make. The club has made guessing on transfer targets very difficult in recent years. If the recent trend continues, the first we'll hear of at least one signing is after the deal is confirmed.

• Advertisement

Everybody to try and sign Ajax players.

This Ajax are the Monaco of 2019 and as with that side some will turn out to be less than hoped for (see B Mendy, Bakayoko, Lemar) in a new league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No ideas where we'll go for the two or three additions we'll likely make. The club has made guessing on transfer targets very difficult in recent years. If the recent trend continues, the first we'll hear of at least one signing is after the deal is confirmed.

Joe Hart ;) :pac::pac:

Rahman - the bad injuries hes sustained will never see him make it at an elite team

Zouma - a less refined Rudiger and I've even got reservations about Rudiger being able to play ball. Cant see him making it in Sarris system but if he could mould him a bit like Koulibaily, I'd keep him.

Bakayoko - has no place in the XI, he'd have to play in Kantes RCM role, breaking up play high up the pitch and hes no Kante, wouldnt be suited for Jorginhos role because he cant pass a ball and hes got no goal threat to play LCM.

Morata - wont make it in the PL, has no head or desire for the fight.

Moses - that lad was a decent WB but wouldnt get near the chelsea side now, the same can be said for Alonos who is a tragic FB.

Pulisic - Impossible to call, would suit Sarris system, assuming Sarri is here next year, I think we over paid but thats the way football is going, bigger sides will never find value buying from other big sides, especially PL sides who are bent over a barrel for players. Hes not going to be a Hazard replacement in what he offers but hes a good technical player.

I'm more interested in James or Aina coming back and giving Azp a fight for RB.

This Ajax are the Monaco of 2019 and as with that side some will turn out to be less than hoped for (see B Mendy, Bakayoko, Lemar) in a new league.

Saw a tweet today from an Everton fan

''Everton looked at this Ajax side last year and signed Davy Klaasen'' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Isn't Moses gone on an 18 month loan so that will be him away next season too?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Isn't Moses gone on an 18 month loan so that will be him away next season too?

I think Morata is on an 18month loan too.

Bakayoko has done well at Milan so id be surprised if he isnt bought by them.

If anyone wants Drinkwater for 10 quid, id sell him, hes been Chelseas biggest waste if money ever, worse than Bogarde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Mendy looks like a tremendous player when fit and it's a mistake to write him off just yet. If he manages to keep two healthy knees for a season he'll be a class act.

As for the Ajax team, for their own sake I really hope they managed to keep the team together. However, the fact that Frenkie De Jong is already gone isn't a great sign and we may well see a repeat of the Monaco saga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Could be an interesting summer ahead.

Real Madrid will need to splash the cash to finally start their rebuild. Already agreed €50m deal for Eder Militao from FC Porto but I think their next moves will dictate a lot. If they target Pogba, Eriksson, Hazard or Mané as linked, the selling club in each of those instances would need to spend big to replace the player. If they go elsewhere, United, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool may be more content with strengthening other areas.

Barca have probably already made their big signing in Frenkie de Jong but may add in other positions.

Bayern have also made some big moves already - Pavard and Hernandez - but have several other positions that need strengthening. I wonder will their likely win of the Bundesliga make them think that less work is needed? Or will they take stock having come close to losing their title and exiting Europe at an early stage.

Juvé will probably gobble up the Italian-based talent - word of Manolas moving to become their next big signing - but I wouldn't be surprised to see a quiet window otherwise after the costs associated with Ronaldo, Ramsey, etc.

PSG... Maybe they might actually sign a team this summer?

And then the PL... who the f*ck knows. A lot could be dictated by potential departures, transfer bans, etc but almost every club will think they have a lot of work to do, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Might go back in for Fekir seeing as he's only a year left on his contract so would cost a lot less than the rumoured €50m last summer. I'd take him at €25-30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Rahman - the bad injuries hes sustained will never see him make it at an elite team

Zouma - a less refined Rudiger and I've even got reservations about Rudiger being able to play ball. Cant see him making it in Sarris system but if he could mould him a bit like Koulibaily, I'd keep him.

Bakayoko - has no place in the XI, he'd have to play in Kantes RCM role, breaking up play high up the pitch and hes no Kante, wouldnt be suited for Jorginhos role because he cant pass a ball and hes got no goal threat to play LCM.

Morata - wont make it in the PL, has no head or desire for the fight.

Moses - that lad was a decent WB but wouldnt get near the chelsea side now, the same can be said for Alonos who is a tragic FB.

Pulisic - Impossible to call, would suit Sarris system, assuming Sarri is here next year, I think we over paid but thats the way football is going, bigger sides will never find value buying from other big sides, especially PL sides who are bent over a barrel for players. Hes not going to be a Hazard replacement in what he offers but hes a good technical player.

I'm more interested in James or Aina coming back and giving Azp a fight for RB.

You think Sarri will make it to next season? Chelsea look odds on for top 4 and are the favourites for the EL but I still think he'll be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Might go back in for Fekir seeing as he's only a year left on his contract so would cost a lot less than the rumoured €50m last summer. I'd take him at €25-30m.

Maybe. How's he got on this year?

Maybe. How's he got on this year?

Not getting as many headlines as last year because Depay, Ndombele and Aouar have been unbelievable for Lyon this year.

He still managed 9 goals and 5 assists this year in 26 appearances in the league.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    You think Sarri will make it to next season? Chelsea look odds on for top 4 and are the favourites for the EL but I still think he'll be sacked.

Whats the point in sacking him, I'd imagine he was tasked with getting Chelsea back into the CL by either top 4 or the EL, hes given us a good chance of that.

Its a near miracle that we're currently 4th in the PL but thats down to Utd and Arsenal being as bad as us this year and Spurs being not much better.

I'd have always expected us to make at least this level of the EL and we've got a very kind K/O draw so far, if we get to the final it could very well be a shot out between whoever finishes 4th and 5th in the PL, so there could be a massive amount on the line for one side.

I have no idea how this would be possible but AS are banging the Madrid war chest drum

2TD1C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Madrid are using the talk of Mane to get Hazard and Eriksen to commit,

There is no way they will spend 150 million for Mane ( hes worth more than Couthino ) when Hazard and Eriksen are in the last year of contracts and can be got probably for 150 million combined ,

Madrid have no cash to manage the rebuild they'll need in the summer, they're going have to sell if they want to bring in 4 or 5 world class stars, probably spending 300/400m.

Looking at their squad too, lot of their players wont command massive fees given the age they are so selling could be an issue.

If they can off load an injury ravaged Bale for big money to some chump they'll be sorted, maybe Kovacic will go for decent money but hes been bang average at Chelsea and I hope we dont sign him at all, cant rule Courtois being sold too if Zidane fancies Navas.

Madrid have no cash to manage the rebuild they'll need in the summer, they're going have to sell if they want to bring in 4 or 5 world class stars, probably spending 300/400m.

Looking at their squad too, lot of their players wont command massive fees given the age they are so selling could be an issue.

If they can off load an injury ravaged Bale for big money to some chump they'll be sorted, maybe Kovacic will go for decent money but hes been bang average at Chelsea and I hope we dont sign him at all, cant rule Courtois being sold too if Zidane fancies Navas.

Yeah this is what makes the whole Madrid situation interesting. A few years ago, they simply had more money than everyone else but things have changed now. While they are still one of the most commercially successful clubs in the world, transfer fees have inflated so much that they will need to spend some massive money to buy and the differences at the top level are minimum - nobody can throw around €500 million without generating significant cash in the way that teams used be able to sanction a €120 million rebuild pretty handily.

If it comes to selling, the players who would command fees and interest are those that Madrid won't want to sell - Varane, for e.g. Of the others, you're talking about the Spanish contingent that hasn't developed the way Madrid had anticipated - Ascencio and Isco, and the younger ones again, like Ceballos, Mariano, etc. All potentially good players but it'd be a hell of a gamble to spend £60m+ on any of them, and that's the kind of money Madrid need to generate.

Then add in Marcelo and Modric, who will likely move on for next to nothing, and it is a hell of a rebuilding job.

The loan army might generate some cash if they can find buyers - Lunin is highly rated (but maybe they'll keep him as a back up GK?), Kovacic might be of interest (but his Chelsea spell should put off English sides tbh), James Rodriguez maybe? Is Lucas Hernandez any use? They're unfortunate that Hakimi is at Dortmund until June 2020 as he's done very well this season.

They've moved for Eder Militao so if they keep Varane, that's the defence sorted. I'd imagine Zidane would be happy to keep Navas as number one, but they'll still probably be talking about a CM, an attacking mid/creative player, and maybe a striker, at the absolute minimum.

It wouldn't surprise me if United tried to sign Bale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Biggest question is who will have the guts to sack their manager and go for Ten Hag this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Luka Jovic to Real Madrid reported to be almost a done deal at €60m. That’s a remarkable bit of business by Real if it’s true, a steal in this market for such a promising talent.

Source is AS, often not the most reliable but they’re usually on the ball with Real Madrid stories.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

martyos121 wrote: »
    Luka Jovic to Real Madrid reported to be almost a done deal at €60m. That’s a remarkable bit of business by Real if it’s true, a steal in this market for such a promising talent.

Source is AS, often not the most reliable but they’re usually on the ball with Real Madrid stories.

Eintracht have him on a 2 year loan from Benfica with an option to buy of only €7m, which they did in April, so they're still making a massive profit. Whoever agreed that deal at Benfica is probably now in hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juliette Gentle Sorrow

DM_7 wrote: »
    Biggest question is who will have the guts to sack their manager and go for Ten Hag this summer?

already seen rumors (now its only paper talk as ive seen Gracia and the Wolves fella - name escapes me as well) Chelsea linked with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jovic to me looks the closest thing to being the next Aguero-style striker out of the current crop of youngsters. Has that South American manner to his play which is strange since he's a Serb. I thought earlier in the season he might be a good replacement for Icardi when there was talk he and Inter were going their separate ways, but it looks like bigger clubs are moving for him now. Also a fan of his teammate Sebastien Haller who is injured at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jesus Hugo Viana is Sportings sporting director? I thought he was still playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DM_7 wrote:

Wonder will Barca after tonight. Already bringing in De Jong and surely want De Ligt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dembele could be on the way out too if the Barca fans and media make him the scapegoat over his late misses in the first leg. He wasn't hugely popular to begin with. A lot of clubs need a player in his position.

• Chelsea in bother now, if hazard goes what will they do

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1126083565630951425?s=19

Chelsea in bother now, if hazard goes what will they do

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1126083565630951425?s=19

They are appealing to CAS so ban will be deferred while that's going a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Was the reason the Pulisic deal was done and immediately loaned back. I'd say they expected it to be reduced to a single window but they were always going to be banned for this Summer.

• Advertisement

• TitianGerm wrote: »

For how long?

For how long?

If CAS defer the ban it'll probably be for one window. That'd mean they could sign and register players during the summer.

If CAS then uphold the original ruling they'll have a two window ban starting from January.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Wonder if we see a change in the type of players a club can attract based on the last few years.A few years back It would have been City and Utd getting first pick, followed by Chelsea and then possibly Arsenal with Liverpool and Spurs in the next tier down. City now out on their own but I think as seen with last summer Liverpool should now be able to attract some of the top players. Spurs should get a similar bounce this summer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Wonder if we see a change in the type of players a club can attract based on the last few years.A few years back It would have been City and Utd getting first pick, followed by Chelsea and then possibly Arsenal with Liverpool and Spurs in the next tier down. City now out on their own but I think as seen with last summer Liverpool should now be able to attract some of the top players. Spurs should get a similar bounce this summer .

Liverpool will definitely be more attractive to certain players, Klopp and good, fast football as well as challenger status is attractive enough. Less $$$ for now and Pep is still more of a draw.

Chelsea still pay good wages, CL football still and I'd imagine Sarri is a draw for certain players too (although less reliable, it's chelsea afterall).

Arsenal are in trouble imo, no CL, not overpayers (Ozil ignored), not too much of a draw for the headline players.

United will pay and have the name. Great chance for players to earn and become a star.

Spurs don't pay and are still the nearly boys in the league. If they win the CL they'll get a huge attractiveness boost but until Levy reaches in the pockets a bit they're not signing the top players.

City can have whoever they want.

I don't see Liverpool pushing the boat out again - Fab, Keita, VVD and Alisson was a busy 2018 splurge and the players who are leaving this year are squad level, not likely starters - Sturridge, Lallana, Moreno, Mig. So it'll be spotting a few interesting players like Brandt, Daniel James, Abdulkadir Omur, and de Ligt as the only big ticket item ;)

TitianGerm wrote: »

CAS can decide to either uphold the ban during the investigation or defer it for the length of the process.

As FIFA have moved the goal posts with banning and no longer suspending bans, I wouldn't be so confident that CAS will defer it.

They'll have to draw a line in the sand with some club as giving someone a ban and then suspending it for one window while the club gets their s**t in order kind of negates the ban.

Now, I hope CAS does it this way but I wouldn't be as confident as I would have been if this ban was handed out a few seasons ago.

I hope and suspect we'll get the ban frozen for the duration of the investigation, we'll be able to sign players this summer and then get a 2 window ban for January 2020 and Summer 2020.

I reckon its part of the reason we've not heard anything from Chelsea bout new 1 year deals for Giroud and Luiz just yet.

At a guess, Liverpool will sell...

Sturridge and Moreno (contracts up and leaving), Clyne, Grujic, Ings (deal agreed already), Camacho, Awoniyi, Kent, Ojo, Wilson, Bogdan and maybe one or two other youngsters/fringe players. I don't think Lallana will go unless he asks to, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Lovren or Shaqiri look to leave. Barring those last two, none of the others have had played a significant number of minutes this season so, theoretically, they shouldn't be missed at all.

I would have said Origi was headed to the door but after this week, it's harder to know. He certainly looks like he has progressed this season but the club was dead set on letting him go last summer. But with Sturridge off, it would leave Origi and Brewster as the only back up at the moment.

Incomings will be limited to 3/4 players. I reckon Adam Lewis, Rhian Brewster and Curtis Jones will play some role in the first team squad next season - a handful of appearances each - and that we will bring in one attacker who can play wide and central and maybe someone that can play across the back four (especially if Lovren or someone left). Other than that, maybe a number 10? But that position may be covered by the attacker. I don't see us going to a dedicated number 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bale to Man U?

Sanchez on left and Bale on the right of a front 3 with Lukaku down the middle.

Man U might get back in the top 4 race next season.

Nobody worth their salt will take on Bale at his wages and injury problems.

Unless a team gets a very good loan deal with an option to buy, I just cant see it.

Bale to Man U?

Sanchez on left and Bale on the right of a front 3 with Lukaku down the middle.

Man U might get back in the top 4 race next season.

Sounds like an absolute disaster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement