Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    Chelsea are fooked, if their transfer ban is upheld by CAS

A sure they've a gazillion players on loan around the globe, surely some of them must be half decent and not just to be used as investment pieces to sell off for a profit without even a sniff or any hope of seeing a chance of first team action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea is such a strange club, management turnover more associated with a side in permanent relegation-threatened crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Chelsea is such a strange club, management turnover more associated with a side in permanent relegation-threatened crisis.

Could be a nice in for Lampard what with the transfer ban there, its a ready made excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Italy is mad, regularly transfering big players from one top team to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Italy is mad, regularly transfering big players from one top team to another.

I know, it's all a bit mad... clubs happy to have a merry-go-round of big names, and fans that don't hold grudges over players leaving for direct rivals, but ready to lynch a fella for having the wrong skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Some rumours of Bale and Pogba being involved in a swap deal. Could see that happening. Might be best for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The two Galactico clubs swapping players makes sense for both teams and players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

What's more remarkable is that it's almost always successful for them too. In the last 8 years, they've won two PL titles, the Champions League, two Europa Leagues, two FA Cups and one League Cups (I think that's right!) and had eight managers (I think!). Hard to argue with that kind of success rate, even if it includes a few major drops after title wins.

The issues seem to be that it doesn't lend itself well to youth development, and the efforts to change playing style can be tricky because players are brought in during several managerial regimes. But if they had a director of football committed to it over a few years, they'd surely manage it.

Watford, pre-Gracia, were great for the managerial turnover too and it usually worked for them too. Strange in the modern era!

wadacrack wrote: »
    Some rumours of Bale and Pogba being involved in a swap deal. Could see that happening. Might be best for both

Bale is a massive headache for Madrid. Zidane doesn't want him but he's on a massive contract, 600k a week. A swap deal might actually work for the clubs in this scenario, but it'd be a massive demotion in football terms for Bale.

Bale to Utd would be madness - surely if they've learnt anything from Sanchez/Mhiki swap it's do not sign players on massive wages who have gone off the boil and are very unlikely to regain their old fortitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

wadacrack wrote:
    There'd have to be money or more players with Bale to make that worthwhile for United. Isco and Bale for Pogba might be a fair deal. Isco struggles to get starts and I'm sure would be happy to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would not take Bale on a long term contract.

He is worth taking a risk on a year loan but not anymore than that. Very inury prone & will be 30 soon so pace may decline too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bale to Utd would be madness - surely if they've learnt anything from Sanchez/Mhiki swap it's do not sign players on massive wages who have gone off the boil and are very unlikely to regain their old fortitude.

Bale to Utd on a swap deal allows both to save face.

Bale is holding on in Madrid as a matter of principal, not quitting.

Utd need shot of Pogba but nobody will pay the cost.

Bale will have to accept lower wages and can do so on basis of "I always wanted to play for a top club like Utd". They don't even have to tell how much but it would be better for the club if they did. It would set out a structure instead of the current free-for-all. If Utd manage to get rid of Sanchez that scenario would work.

Bale is still a decent player. They are taking a chance that injury would not get in the way. It's not the first time a club did that.

Utd are a few years behind the curve right now but it's a start. Utd also need a defense to fit a style of play. Not a style to fit on top of defenders that can't play that way. The Utd way is no more. Attack-attack-attack is old hat for the current PL. Even the smaller teams can unlock an open defense !

For example, City and Liverpool set out a style of play. If a player couldn't fit that style, then they weren't bought, no matter how good they apparently were. Nobody is added that could unbalance that style of play.

• Advertisement

The two Welsh boys James on the left wing Bale on the right wing for Man U would bring back memories of that Welsh Wizard from the class of 92.

Bale to Man U would be a very scary prospect for the rest of the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The two Welsh boys James on the left wing Bale on the right wing for Man U would bring back memories of that Welsh Wizard from the class of 92.

Bale to Man U would be a very scary prospect for the rest of the PL.

It’s 7 years since he left spurs, I don’t think bale would be as effective as he was, bale at Tottenham was a joy to watch

Bale on loan with Madrid subsidising the wages would be the only acceptable part of any deal with him going to United. If it doesn't work out then just send him back and not end up stuck with another player on massive wages ala Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Bale on loan with Madrid subsidising the wages would be the only acceptable part of any deal with him going to United. If it doesn't work out then just send him back and not end up stuck with another player on massive wages ala Sanchez.

And we've seen with James Rodriguez that they will loan a player they don't want out.

Pinning our hopes on Bale would be madness though. He's a player who's game is based around his physical attributes and he'll be 30 when the season starts.

Adding him as a supplement to other players who actually solve the problems long term would be fine. Making him the big summer deal and ignoring other areas would see no improvement just new problems.

And we've seen with James Rodriguez that they will loan a player they don't want out.

Pinning our hopes on Bale would be madness though. He's a player who's game is based around his physical attributes and he'll be 30 when the season starts.

Adding him as a supplement to other players who actually solve the problems long term would be fine. Making him the big summer deal and ignoring other areas would see no improvement just new problems.

Ah sure, the reports now are he wants to stay in Madrid.
    Better weather for golf I suppose.

• Advertisement

Today's ****e

Madrid have to shift €300 of players to avoid breaking FFP
    Man City want Joao Felix
    Neymar wavering
    Arsenal want Jordan Veretout from Fiorentina - he want CL
    Man Utd want Kalidou Koulibaly as No 1 target
    Liverpool - Nicolas Pepe shi'tchat medium to strong (Bayern mentioned and Inter)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Good luck with that Real. Not a big market these days for a lot of 29-33 year old's who's best days are behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ERG89 wrote:
    Good luck with that Real. Not a big market these days for a lot of 29-33 year old's who's best days are behind them.
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of suitors for the likes of Modric, Navas, Marcelo, Benzema and even Bale.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of suitors for the likes of Modric, Navas, Marcelo, Benzema and even Bale.

They would all do well at Man U.

Today's ****e

Man City want Joao Felix
    Neymar wavering
    Arsenal want Jordan Veretout from Fiorentina - he want CL
    Man Utd want Kalidou Koulibaly as No 1 target
    Liverpool - Nicolas Pepe shi'tchat medium to strong (Bayern mentioned and Inter)

Did Jordan Veretout used to play for Aston Villa or have I confused him with someone else? Him and Jordan Amavi signed at the same time I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did Jordan Veretout used to play for Aston Villa or have I confused him with someone else?

He did

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Veretout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

They would all do well at Man U.

God, you're tiresome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jonjoe Kenny gone on loan to Schalke from Everton for next season.

What's with the reports that Man U will pay off De Gea with £20m to leave this summer instead of losing him on a free next summer that Shirley can't be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What's with the reports that Man U will pay off De Gea with £20m to leave this summer instead of losing him on a free next summer that Shirley can't be true?

That has to be the most ludicrous thing the papers have wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tug of war between City and Utd for Maguire according to Ssn. €80 million, VVD a bargain in comparison.

Maguire will stay at Leicester.

No chance City or Man Utd pay 80m for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Tug of war between City and Utd for Maguire according to Ssn. €80 million, VVD a bargain in comparison.

I always remember some City documentary with two of the Arabs laughing about how overpriced VVD was. While I agreed with them at the time we all look pretty foolish now.

every chance City would have 2 CL's if they got Van Dijk.

Thank god they didn't

Laporte good CB but awful against Spurs.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    That has to be the most ludicrous thing the papers have wrote.

It really isn't.

Firstly, i don't believe it will happen but from a business perspective, it would make an awful lot more sense for United to agree a €60/70m deal this summer and give €20m to De Gea in wage subsidy/parting bonus than to lose him for free next summer.

Wage subsidies are very common - Bale is likely to continue being paid by Real for some time after he leaves as nobody will match what he's on there - so that is essentially what the De Gea payment would be.

Like I said, I don't actually think it would happen but there's nothing remotely unusual about it except for the way the papers have reported it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Actually like Maguire, think he'd be a very good signing for United. City don't need him.

VVD was a stupid fee at the time, but don't even think the biggest optimist would of predicted how good he would turn out.

A good CB and GK now are attracting big premiums now. You can build your teams around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

rob316 wrote: »
    Actually like Maguire, think he'd be a very good signing for United. City don't need him.

VVD was a stupid fee at the time, but don't even think the biggest optimist would of predicted how good he would turn out.

A good CB and GK now are attracting big premiums now. You can build your teams around them.

Kompany has just left City ,
    Stones is Stones so they defo need another CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Kompany has just left City ,
    Stones is Stones so they defo need another CB

City dont need him really tho.Stones and Laporte are good pairing. 2nd best defense in the league , and then season before best defense in the league.
    Not as if Kompany was playing that many games anyway.

Replacement for Fernindinho Id place higher on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Do city have some wonderkid they can promote tocover cb, like they did with zinchenko and foden in other positions? Their current cb's are only laporte, stones ant otamendi from memory...

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Do city have some wonderkid they can promote tocover cb, like they did with zinchenko and foden in other positions? Their current cb's are only laporte, stones ant otamendi from memory...

They still have Mangala aswell, Zinchenko was bought aswell.

I suppose they need another CB and Im not sure of the Kids coming through would be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

City dont need him really tho.Stones and Laporte are good pairing. 2nd best defense in the league , and then season before best defense in the league.

Stones only started 20 games in the league last year. Seemed he played very little in the last few weeks at all. Was he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Kompany played more games last season than he did in the previous 3 ,
    Played more Prem games than Otamendi and Stones fell out of favour in the second half of the season,

They 100% need another CB

I do agree that a Fernindinho replacement is probably 1st on there list ,

I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby Alderweireld move to City. His release clause is active in July (I think) and he's a top quality defender. If they decided to activate it, they'd be one of the best options for him and he only turned 30 in March so you'd imagine he has a few good years in him yet!

Alderweireld, Laporte, Stones and Otamendi would be a good selection of CBs.

In comparison to the huge fees being banded about for Harry Maguire, Ruben Dias, Kalidou Koulibaly, etc, it would be worth a shot IMO.

Of course, that's all irrelevant if Alderweireld opts to stay at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby Alderweireld move to City. His release clause is active in July (I think) and he's a top quality defender. If they decided to activate it, they'd be one of the best options for him and he only turned 30 in March so you'd imagine he has a few good years in him yet!

Alderweireld, Laporte, Stones and Otamendi would be a good selection of CBs.

In comparison to the huge fees being banded about for Harry Maguire, Ruben Dias, Kalidou Koulibaly, etc, it would be worth a shot IMO.

Of course, that's all irrelevant if Alderweireld opts to stay at Spurs.

That's actually a decent shout and an option I hadn't considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Danilo & Fernandinho have both played at CB for City at some point under Pep. Isn't there also a Spanish kid that played a few games there too this season - Garcia (?).

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Danilo & Fernandinho have both played at CB for City at some point under Pep. Isn't there also a Spanish kid that played a few games there too this season - Garcia (?).

Isn't Danilio gone , Fern played there allright but thats not a long solution.
    Alderweireld is a great shout actually

Isn't Danilio gone , Fern played there allright but thats not a long solution.
    Alderweireld is a great shout actually

Has Danilo left? I don't think so, but maybe he does want to leave for more games.

Yes, both ideally not CBs but as 4th and 5th choice, should be ok to have. in addition to the Garcia lad and they have also played Walker as part of a back 3 there are 7 options for CB currently in the squad.

Lukaku: "It's good to see Conte joined Inter, for me he is the best manager in the world. I've already taken a decision about the future but I can't reveal it because I have a contract with #mufc and because I respect the club."

Some pretty telling words from Lukaku here - especially calling Conte the best manager in the world. Sounds like he has made his mind up here. Lukaku has constantly being talking about playing in Italy at some point too.

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1138758164214689792

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Inter are buying Lukaku are United going for Icardi? Class striker but you might aswell set fire to the dressing room if your going to add him to it and that headcase of a wife/agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

rob316 wrote: »
    If Inter are buying Lukaku are United going for Icardi? Class striker but you might aswell set fire to the dressing room if your going to add him to it and that headcase of a wife/agent.

That pair have really messed up. He's a top striker that has managed to brand himself, with the help of his wife/agent, as toxic. I genuinely believe he's good enough for a spot at Real, Barca, etc. but if I was at any of those teams I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Belongs on the Kardashians with all the drama he brings, which is a pity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement