Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

AWB is not better than TAA. Not right now anyway. Maybe not ever but that's harder to predict as it depends on personal development. AWB may be a better pure defender as he has got great recovery pace but he's basically Nathaniel Clyne going forward. TAA's passing and crossing is almost Beckhamesque at times and he takes free kicks, corner kicks, etc. There is just a lot more strings to his bow right now.

The gap between them as defenders is probably relatively small but the gap between them further up the pitch is a chasm at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Jesus, lads. Not able to give it a rest even for the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll give you a clue, all of the above is not Wan Bissaka
    Stats don't mean anything really.
    Dejan Lovren played in a Champions league final, does that make him better than Aymeric Laporte who hasn't? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

and a WC final
    a combined XI poll will resolve all issues

Adamcp898 wrote:
    I'm finished with it now but I'm unbiased. I don't support or favour either club. If you look back a couple of weeks you'll see I was delighted for Liverpool to win the Champions league and talking about how they deserved a major title as the club with the second best points total in the top European leagues beating Barca, Bayern, PSG and Juve.

One more thing. Full backs have become hugely important in today's game and I think they probably should command the highest average transfer fee these days. Outside of the top elite players they are a critical element in order to have success these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

eagle eye wrote: »
    Stats don't mean anything really.
    Dejan Lovren played in a Champions league final, does that make him better than Aymeric Laporte who hasn't? I don't think so.

Your correct if its one stat but its a bit different where there are multiple ones,

As said Trent was voted best right back in the Champions league
    Best right back in Prem team ,
    16 assist's plus he is nearly a whole year younger than Bissaka,

I actually really rate Bissaka iv said on here many time's he could go on to great things ,

I think he is a great signing for United or any of the top 6 bar Liverpool as Trent is currently a couple levels above him and a year younger,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Imagine what things will be like when the season starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

One more thing. Full backs have become hugely important in today's game and I think they probably should command the highest average transfer fee these days. Outside of the top elite players they are a critical element in order to have success these days.

No way. A lot easier to develop those qualities than the insane individual talents that the likes of Messi, Hazard, Neymar have now or what players like Ronaldo, Sanchez and Bale have been able to do up until recent times.

And that is without even getting into how valuable goals are.

• Advertisement

• Adamcp898 wrote: »

Fascination over money and Willy waving who is better

Ultimately triggered Utd signed someone very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

AWB, Walker and Mendy all cost £50m. Those are the three most expensive in the PL anyway but all bring something a bit different.

AWB best trait is defending, Mendy's is attacking and Walker a mix of both.

Be interesting to see how AWB does next season now when he's expected to be much more attack minded. United fans won't know what to do if he's able to beat the first man after watching Young try to batter defenders into submission last season.

Fascination over money and Willy waving who is better

Ultimately triggered Utd signed someone very good

Not sure anyone's " triggered "

Lets no make it something it's not , its simply replying to someone saying Bisska is better than Trent when he clearly isn't on the same level currently

Bissaka is a good prospect no doubt about it as I said any of the top six teams would be happy to have him and see how he turns out ,

I think he is a great signing for United or any of the top 6 bar Liverpool as Trent is currently a couple levels above him and a year younger,
    I think he'd be a great signing for Liverpool too. I'd love to see TAA as a box to box midfielder, I think he'd be absolutely awesome in that role.

I think he'd be a great signing for Liverpool too. I'd love to see TAA as a box to box midfielder, I think he'd be absolutely awesome in that role.

TAA played midfield all the way up through the underage ranks. His passing ability is is strongest asset so playing RB gives him the ability to use this to greatest affect.

Iv seen a few people say this and they could well be right,

Personally I think they could find another box to box midfielder but it would be p harder to find another right back with the crossing ability of Trent , he add's another string to the Liverpool attack ,

Id prefer he stays where he is and improves even more which would be scary ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Neil Farrugia and Gary O'Neill set to be confirmed by Rovers any day now from UCD with Graham Cummins also rumoured to be joining from Cork City and Joel Coustrain going the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TitianGerm wrote: »
    AWB best trait is defending, Mendy's is tweeting and Walker a mix of both attacking & defending.

Fixed that for you.

Tbh I am really disappointed by Mendy at City he was awesome the season before at Monaco.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Tbh I am really disappointed by Mendy at City he was awesome the season before at Monaco.

He's just been really unlucky with injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Neil Farrugia and Gary O'Neill set to be confirmed by Rovers any day now from UCD with Graham Cummins also rumoured to be joining from Cork City and Joel Coustrain going the other way

Another midfielder, exactly what Rovers need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Another midfielder, exactly what Rovers need :D

Going full 2010 Barcelona. 4-6-0, sweeper keeper. Total football. :)

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1143865682226044930?s=19

€20m is this a rare bit of good business by PSG....if it goes through mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not sure how you can compare how smart two footballers are purely by one corner :confused:

Well we should definitely include the intelligence involved in last weeks og. :)

Joking aside, the inability to use your "wrong " foot in that situation (or any situation tbh. ****ing professional footballers) is criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48770846

David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m.

He then says that Arsenal have £45m to spend, have to raise money through player sales but won't sell Aubameyang or Torreira, and are planning to sign Tierney from Celtic and Saliba from St Etienne.

So they probably need about another £80m or so for Zaha...

It's hard to see where Arsenal would raise substantial funds tbh. Selling an attacker like Aubameyang or Lacazette to fund a move for Zaha seems counter-productive IMO, and I don't see there being a glut of suitors for, say, Mkhitaryan. Fringe players like Jenkinson won't drum up huge money either so it's hard to see that one being resolved IMO.

Maybe the Arsenal fans on here can paint a clearer picture for me, though!

Also - if Zaha and Wan Bissaka both leave, either Palace will engage in a massive spending spree, or they're in big trouble.

Not saying I'd spend 80 on Zaha but with that little to spend what hope have Arsenal got of getting in the top 4 again.
    The 5 others up there all might spend 45 million alone on one player this summer. Arsenal don't have a player they to sell and can afford to lose either.

Not saying I'd spend 80 on Zaha but with that little to spend what hope have Arsenal got of getting in the top 4 again.
    The 5 others up there all might spend 45 million alone on one player this summer. Arsenal don't have a player they to sell and can afford to lose either.

Spurs look to have Ndombele done.
    United have AWB.
    Liverpool linked with Pepe.
    All three linked to Fernandes.
    City will probably add a replacement for Kompany and Fernandinho as he won't have many seasons left.

Chelsea have the ban but already got Pulisic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wonder if Palace will spend on 2 old boys to replace AWB & Zaha in Clyne & Bolasie. Bolasie not worth it, but Clyne would not be a bad idea. Would be solid defensively and offer something going forward without being spectacular - like AWB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's hard to see where Arsenal would raise substantial funds tbh. Selling an attacker like Aubameyang or Lacazette to fund a move for Zaha seems counter-productive IMO

Given Auba's age, would there be a more long term mentality in mind? Replace him now when they can actually get big money for him, bringing in a younger player they will try and develop further? Rather than wait till Auba declines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They would be mental to sell Auba for Zaha. Auba won the golden boot last season.
    They are in big trouble if all they can muster up is £50m, you've just seen it only gets ya a FB from palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wenger was doing amazing job working with no money for a decade or more if this is the case that Arsenal don't have a transfer budget of more than £45m in this day and age with TV money and European prize money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rob316 wrote: »
    They would be mental to sell Auba for Zaha. Auba won the golden boot last season.
    They are in big trouble if all they can muster up is £50m, you've just seen it only gets ya a FB from palace.

Can see the logic though. Especially if they have to sell to buy the players they want. Auba is 30 and this is probably the last chance to get some kind of good money for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48770846

David Ornstein at the BBC says Zaha wants out of Palace and to join Arsenal for £80m.

He then says that Arsenal have £45m to spend, have to raise money through player sales but won't sell Aubameyang or Torreira, and are planning to sign Tierney from Celtic and Saliba from St Etienne.

So they probably need about another £80m or so for Zaha...

It's hard to see where Arsenal would raise substantial funds tbh. Selling an attacker like Aubameyang or Lacazette to fund a move for Zaha seems counter-productive IMO, and I don't see there being a glut of suitors for, say, Mkhitaryan. Fringe players like Jenkinson won't drum up huge money either so it's hard to see that one being resolved IMO.

Maybe the Arsenal fans on here can paint a clearer picture for me, though!

Also - if Zaha and Wan Bissaka both leave, either Palace will engage in a massive spending spree, or they're in big trouble.

Kolasinac and Mustafi and Ozil would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FitzShane wrote: »
    AWB seems to be a more defensive full back than the new age ones that can attack and defend.

United have a big problem with their full backs not being good going forward, and the only one that they have that can attack is Dalot - who AWB will be replacing. Dalot is probably better going forward than Dalot, but AWB is better than Dalot at defending. Right now, I can't see AWB improving the awful right hand side at United through his attacking play. Even though he is a former winger, his crossing is not exactly his strong point, his tackling is.

Unless a move to 3 at the back with AWB as the RCB and Dalot as a RWB is on the cards?

By being able to defend he could free up an attacker on the right side.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1143994029291515905?s=19

Astronomical fee. Either he'll break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That seems an awful lot of money, even in today's bonkers market. I saw a Europa League game where he was sensational and scored a hat-trick, but watching him in the Nations League his performances seemed more modest. It's not far off the fee PSG paid for Mbappe, yet when they bought Mbappe he had helped Monaco win the title and get to the last 4 of the Champions League. My hunch is it will work out, but it's quite a gamble nonetheless.

Makes me wonder: if Felix is worth €125m, what is his international teammate Bernardo Silva worth? I'd say at least €150m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Griezmann might be a wee bit of a gob****e but he's a steal at 120m compared to Felix for 125m

The amount of money being thrown around now is ridiculous, especially these deals where you're paying for potential instead of the finished product

Bayern bidding 40m for Odoi when he hadn't even played a dozen senior games, Chelsea paying 60m for Pulisic who was ousted of the team by an 18 y/o Sancho

Then you see players like Julian Brandt going for 25m and you're wondering sometimes what the scouts and people signing the chequebooks are doing

Chelsea agreed a fee of €50m for Kovacic.

• FitzShane wrote: »

?

What happened the transfer ban

?

What happened the transfer ban

They are allowed to buy Kovacic as they already have his registration rights. It's not a transfer ban as such, it's more that they have a ban on registering new players. So technically the only players they are allowed to buy are Higuain and Kovacic. They could purchase other players, but unable to register them and they couldn't play all season. No player would agree to that. Kovacic has to be purchased outright before the loan & registration expires, which as far as I know is June 30th. They registered Pulisic in January and loaned him back out.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1143994029291515905?s=19

Astronomical fee. Either he'll break Neymar's transfer fee or be a massive bust

I find it hard to get my head around transfers some times.

This Felix one is an example. At. Madrid are investing huge money in him and if they ever sell him they will be looking for a huge profit. they have shown themselves to be very good at dealing players in this way.

At the money already paid for him, he is either going to stay there for his career (great city and potentially a great club so no real issue there) or if he ever does look to leave there are maybe 2 teams that could buy him - City and PSG.

It goes back to my gripe on release fee clauses.

I don't understand why players agree long term contracts either without transfer release fees or ones so high that they massively limit your career potential.

Benfica had a value of 126million on Felix, were his wages at the level of a player worth that? I effing doubt it! People usually counter that he signed the contract on the deal that was presented - but surely a player like Felix holds more leverage than that.

If he had said I want the same wages with a 60million release fee (still huge given the amount he has played) would benfica have stonewalled him? Even if they did, how difficult would it have been for him to find a new club with better wages and release fee conditions?

Its also something I think about in general when it comes to Spurs and Napoli for example. I reckon I would be put off signing for either club on the basis their owners are very tough to do business with and make leaving the club very difficult. I'm not saying clubs should be push overs, and from a fans perspective it is great their owners are so protective, but when you see Eriksen going into the last year of his contract and Spurs telling Madrid it is 70million (rumoured) but English clubs its 120million (rumoured) I'm just sitting here thinking.... why would you get involved with a club that conduct sales in that way. Still, both clubs don't have any real problems signing players when they want to so clearly my thinking doesn't allign with that of players.

Still, I am surprised we don't see more players run their contracts down. Bale signing a new contract every summer at Spurs and then whinging when Spurs played hard with Madrid also annoyed me. You knew what Spurs were like to deal with and you gave them all the leverage.

• Advertisement

They are allowed to buy Kovacic as they already have his registration rights. It's not a transfer ban as such, it's more that they have a ban on registering new players. So technically the only players they are allowed to buy are Higuain and Kovacic. They could purchase other players, but unable to register them and they couldn't play all season. No player would agree to that. Kovacic has to be purchased outright before the loan & registration expires, which as far as I know is June 30th. They registered Pulisic in January and loaned him back out.

They could buy players and leave them off on loan at their current club, as they aren't transfering the registration. Barca did that when they had a ban - though the guy they signed from At. Madrid joined in the summer and just trained cause that is what he wanted to do, iirc.

They could buy players and leave them off on loan at their current club, as they aren't transfering the registration. Barca did that when they had a ban - though the guy they signed from At. Madrid joined in the summer and just trained cause that is what he wanted to do, iirc.

Ya Arda Turan did that alright - he trained for 6 months and was allowed to be registered in January and played then. I think a full season is different tho.

Chelsea could well buy players this summer and loan them out but is there anything to be achieved by this? Apart from young players just starting out at 18/19/10 and wanting to get experience, I can't see too many benefits.

I find it hard to get my head around transfers some times.

This Felix one is an example. At. Madrid are investing huge money in him and if they ever sell him they will be looking for a huge profit. they have shown themselves to be very good at dealing players in this way.

At the money already paid for him, he is either going to stay there for his career (great city and potentially a great club so no real issue there) or if he ever does look to leave there are maybe 2 teams that could buy him - City and PSG.

It goes back to my gripe on release fee clauses.

I don't understand why players agree long term contracts either without transfer release fees or ones so high that they massively limit your career potential.

Benfica had a value of 126million on Felix, were his wages at the level of a player worth that? I effing doubt it! People usually counter that he signed the contract on the deal that was presented - but surely a player like Felix holds more leverage than that.

If he had said I want the same wages with a 60million release fee (still huge given the amount he has played) would benfica have stonewalled him? Even if they did, how difficult would it have been for him to find a new club with better wages and release fee conditions?

Its also something I think about in general when it comes to Spurs and Napoli for example. I reckon I would be put off signing for either club on the basis their owners are very tough to do business with and make leaving the club very difficult. I'm not saying clubs should be push overs, and from a fans perspective it is great their owners are so protective, but when you see Eriksen going into the last year of his contract and Spurs telling Madrid it is 70million (rumoured) but English clubs its 120million (rumoured) I'm just sitting here thinking.... why would you get involved with a club that conduct sales in that way. Still, both clubs don't have any real problems signing players when they want to so clearly my thinking doesn't allign with that of players.

Still, I am surprised we don't see more players run their contracts down. Bale signing a new contract every summer at Spurs and then whinging when Spurs played hard with Madrid also annoyed me. You knew what Spurs were like to deal with and you gave them all the leverage.

We're going to see a lot more players running their contracts down and moving on a free.

Even with a transfer ban I wouldn't pay that for him if given the chance. Good business by Madrid tbh.

Ya Arda Turan did that alright - he trained for 6 months and was allowed to be registered in January and played then. I think a full season is different tho.

Chelsea could well buy players this summer and loan them out but is there anything to be achieved by this? Apart from young players just starting out at 18/19/10 and wanting to get experience, I can't see too many benefits.

Could be a player you really want to sign and the choices are buy him now and leave him on loan or see him sign for someone else this summer and lose your chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Unreal business from Real, he was really poor I thought. Maybe he is wanted by the incoming manager though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Kovacic 50m or gomes 22m? I know who id rather have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

TitianGerm wrote: »
    We're going to see a lot more players running their contracts down and moving on a free.

It's not 100% in their hands though,clubs will just sell as soon as they sense the player may be trying to run his contract down and leave on a free and if the player refuses to move they'll bench them or at least threathen to bench them for the remainder of their contract.

Robert Lewandowski is the only really high profile player who's left on a free in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Jack Clarke to spurs for 8.5m

It's not 100% in their hands though,clubs will just sell as soon as they sense the player may be trying to run his contract down and leave on a free and if the player refuses to move they'll bench them or at least threathen to bench them for the remainder of their contract.

Robert Lewandowski is the only really high profile player who's left on a free in recent years.

Ibrahimovic, Milner, Emre Can, Ramsey, Khedira, Godin, Herrera, Rabiot, talks that Timo Werner will let his contract run down in order to join Bayern Munich next summer.

It still happens.

Which still gives the player some control.

If the club want to sell, then the sales price can be effected by the player refusing to sign for certain teams.

Ie. The club might accept 60million from United and reject 50million from Madrid. If the player refuses to sign for United then the option for the club becomes: 50million from Madrid or nothing now, pay the player's wages for the season and lose the player for free in the summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement