Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

correction wrote:
    Zaha - Lacazette - Aubameyang is not a compatible front line and Arsenal cannot afford to have one on the bench.
    How is it not compatible? I've seen both Auba and Lacazette play as a wide forward on the right. Zaha plays left side most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

eagle eye wrote: »
    How is it not compatible? I've seen both Auba and Lacazette play as a wide forward on the right. Zaha plays left side most of the time.

Fairly sure Emery wasn't keen on playing both Auba and Lacazette together in a chunk of games last year iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

PARlance wrote:
    Fairly sure Emery wasn't keen on playing both Auba and Lacazette together in a chunk of games last year iirc.

Yeah until it started working for them in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That attack badly needed a bit of width last season & Iwobi was not up to it. They need at least 1 centre half (imo they need 2) & a left back though. No point improving their attack & ignoring what a f**king mess it is back there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is Lacazette not supposed to be going now? Stories of his agents and Arsenal meeting today to discuss a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    That attack badly needed a bit of width last season & Iwobi was not up to it. They need at least 1 centre half (imo they need 2) & a left back though. No point improving their attack & ignoring what a f**king mess it is back there

Should probably try to solve both at once, with good attacking fullbacks... decent fullbacks would open the door for Zaha, Laca, and Auba to play as a 3, like Liverpool do. Would be terrifying for opposition defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

It's not compatible because it would be awful. Auba may have played there but he is no winger, especially under Emery.

Spending £162m (Auba 56, Laca 46, Zaha 60) and ending up with a forward line that poor would be a sobering thought. Would be much better served sell Lacazette and get an actual winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really thought Arsenal would just spend any money they had on the defence, its absolutely awful as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

United at the moment remind me of Liverpool under Kenny Dalglish with FSG first took over – spending all their money on the in-form flavour of the month Premier League players. For Downing, Adam and Carroll, read Bissaka and Maguire.

It's bad, but it's not that bad.

correction wrote: »
    It's not compatible because it would be awful. Auba may have played there but he is no winger, especially under Emery.

Spending £162m (Auba 56, Laca 46, Zaha 60) and ending up with a forward line that poor would be a sobering thought. Would be much better served sell Lacazette and get an actual winger.

Wingers have changed in the modern game though... it’s tge fullbacks job to whip in crosses, while wingers (wide forwards really) operate inside the lines, and get the goals. Auba, Laca, and Zaha would be ideal as a modern front three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United at the moment remind me of Liverpool under Kenny Dalglish with FSG first took over – spending all their money on the in-form flavour of the month Premier League players. For Downing, Adam and Carroll, read Bissaka and Maguire.

Other than the fact Bissaka is 21 and all those were much older.

Maguire is a little different too if they do sign him considering he is an automatic England starter and is one of very few good CBs in the league.

Why people are so intent on comparing the two situations along with Liverpool in the 90s being thrown around too I'll never know. United have spent big money but the problem is a consistent direction with 4 different managers with different ideas since Fergie with no chance for growth of a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Crystal Palace have been left incensed by Arsenal's approach to sign Ivory Coast winger Wilfried Zaha. They have no intention of lowering their valuation and are confident that Zaha's relationship with the club is long-standing and strong enough to ensure he resumes his duties without a problem if a move does not come to fruition.

as per the BBC website. The reality is Palace know the game is up and are looking for the best possible price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Wonder what the story is with Gareth Bale. Doesn't look like United have any interest. City and Liverpool won't want him either. Spurs and Arsenal couldn't afford him. Chelsesa, maybe at a stretch if Lampard fancies him? Kind of hope he stays and Real have no choice put to pay him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

And yet United's squad is much, much better. Coaches can and will change. And yeah, wages. They're kinda important to people, you know.

Do you think Leicester are on course to finish above Manchester United?

I'd say there's a decent chance they will next season if they can hold onto players like Maguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Arny has resumed his fight to escape West Ham for China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

NDombele has completed the move to Spurs for £65 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Good signing for them. Should fill the Dembele sized hole in their midfield.

Spurs should be pretty good again next season provided they don't lose too many and nobody has left yet. Might have to move Eriksen alright if he isn't signing a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Great signing. Going to say he'll be the best signing made in the PL this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder what the story is with Gareth Bale. Doesn't look like United have any interest. City and Liverpool won't want him either. Spurs and Arsenal couldn't afford him. Chelsesa, maybe at a stretch if Lampard fancies him? Kind of hope he stays and Real have no choice put to pay him off.

He'd cost far too much money - 400k a week - and is too injury prone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They definitely have a future, and probably a bright one, but the question is if it has to wait a year to begin. Will they repeat themselves by not fully backing a manager they don’t want, like last year? Risky enough to go get the more expensive targets Ole wants when there’s a fair likelihood someone quite different could be in by next season. The Liverpool comparison was made with Kenny, where they actually did go spend a tonne under a manager who was likely reasonably short term and, aside from Suarez, it was all wasted.

Having said that, the one area you can generally be fairly safe is right st the back - a good CB or keeper are likely going to fit under most managers. As long as they’re fairly mobile and have a decent pass they can fit into most plans. So it makes sense to get at least one quality CB signed up regardless. Could see more expensive formation/tactic dependant players like CM’s being left a year though.

But at 26 how many more times will Maguire get the chance to move to one of the bigger clubs?

Said it before but Football moves quickly. Would Wan Bissaka or De Ligt have been rated as 50m and 70m players last summer?

Maguire could wait a year and see what happens but in a year United could have their eyes on someone else for 60-70m who emerged throughout the season.

It would definitely be a risk.

But at 26 how many more times will Maguire get the chance to move to one of the bigger clubs?

Said it before but Football moves quickly. Would Wan Bissaka or De Ligt have been rated as 50m and 70m players last summer?

Maguire could wait a year and see what happens but in a year United could have their eyes on someone else for 60-70m who emerged throughout the season.

It would definitely be a risk.

I don't think my point is at odds with yours... I think they should go get him, as he'll probably be an alright fit even if they do change managers next season, and of course it would be a step up for him - especially in terms of wages - even if he has to go through one season of uncertainty before things shake out at Utd.

Even ahead of him though, they should be all over Alderweirald. No brainer really. Should get both. Arsenal should be moving for Toby as well really, would be ideal for them - doesn't cost the earth, and better than anyone they have, and still has 3 years at the top level at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool were looking into De Ligt last summer (2018) but it never worked out. And definitely not at 70m. That's effective scouting - trying to buy a player before they explode. Perhaps not buying him is linked with the transfers of 2 youth players in Hoever and Van Der Berg - players who a lot of of top teams were trying to buy also.

I highly doubt Man United had any interest in AWB until about January or February 2019, let alone the summer of 2018. Also in summer 2017, Harry Maguire moved to Leicester from Hull City- was he on their radar then? Again, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I do think Maguire is being underrated by some. I think he's far superior to any of United's centre-backs and if you're asking who's the leader between him and Lindelof it's Maguire every day of the week.

At 26 he's a great age for a centre back. I think he's got the attributes you need as a modern centre-back to be honest, tall, strong and commanding, but comfortable with the ball at his feet too, able and willing to drive the ball out of defence.

If AWB is worth 50 million then Maguire is worth 70m. Both would seem like over-paying but United do need to sign players and have the money. He'd be another one (like AWB) that might not come in on astronomical wages either.

70 million does instinctively feel absurd, but there's very few transfers which don't these days, particularly when one Premier League team is buying from another.

Maybe there are better and cheaper options on the continent however - United still need to strengthen in midfield and maybe at left-back too and would they have the funds to do so if they spend this much on Maguire?

FitzShane wrote:
    Liverpool were looking into De Ligt last summer (2018) but it never worked out. And definitely not at 70m. That's effective scouting - trying to buy a player before they explode. Perhaps not buying him is linked with the transfers of 2 youth players in Hoever and Van Der Berg - players who a lot of of top teams were trying to buy also.

I highly doubt Man United had any interest in AWB until about January or February 2019, let alone the summer of 2018. Also in summer 2017, Harry Maguire moved to Leicester from Hull City- was he on their radar then? Again, I doubt it.
    These are two different players. Lots of people know about De Ligt a year ago. Nobody knew anything about AWB until last summers preseason.

These are two different players. Lots of people know about De Ligt a year ago. Nobody knew anything about AWB until last summers preseason.

Before last summer, AWB had started a premier league against Liverpool and started against Utd, Spurs, Chelsea in 3 games in a row. More than held his own in those games too. Obviously, in the next season, he took it to another level, but he was playing PL games before that.

Also just checked and was on the bench twice versus United the season before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Anyone with Football Manager has known about De Ligt for a couple of seasons :pac: he couldn't have been further from under the radar

AdamD wrote: »
    Anyone with Football Manager has known about De Ligt for a couple of seasons :pac: he couldn't have been further from under the radar

Started 8 EL games, including the final against United in 2017!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football is going mad.

We keep saying it'll implode, but will it ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

sugarman wrote: »
    I dont think many are underestimating Maguire, its just the fee attached. Hes not worth £70m. £30-40 tops.

Looking at other players of his caliber and who would be an upgrade for United, I genuinely think Lewis Dunk would be a good addition and could be had for peanuts compare to Maguire.

Hes a few months older, but has plenty of PL experience and from a stats point of view hes been equal to and some instances better than Maguire.

Depends how Ole wants to play. If they sit in and get dominated by teams and play on the counter, Dunk could be okay. If they play any sort of high line or attacking game, he’d be badly exposed.

Not that I rate Maguire much but he’s a much better player than Dunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

sugarman wrote: »
    I dont think many are underestimating Maguire, its just the fee attached. Hes not worth £70m. £30-40 tops.

Looking at other players of his caliber and who would be an upgrade for United, I genuinely think Lewis Dunk would be a good addition and could be had for peanuts compare to Maguire.

Hes a few months older, but has plenty of PL experience and from a stats point of view hes been equal to and some instances better than Maguire.

some young lad from porto is going for 50 m, maguire is worth that id say, just because its utd people rush in to say what a waste of money it is, he could be an inspired signing, he mightnt be either,his stats are quite similiar to alderweiereld, widely considered one of the best defenders around over the last few seasons

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »

No not under the radar but he has exploded in value this season just gone.. Mainly thanks to their brilliant champions league run

some young lad from porto is going for 50 m, maguire is worth that id say, just because its utd people rush in to say what a waste of money it is, he could be an inspired signing, he mightnt be either,his stats are quite similiar to alderweiereld, widely considered one of the best defenders around over the last few seasons

Maguire is not worth £70m. But because Leicester don't want to sell, don't need the money and the player doesn't strike me as one who'll throw his toys out of the pram to get his move, they can ask for even more than that fee.

It doesn't matter if it's United, City, Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea the £70m was going to be the starting point.

You could have said VVD wasn't worth the €70 odd million Liverpool paid for him at the time.They seemed to be the only one prepared to, even the Arabs at City raised their eyebrows at the price.
    €70M is buttons to Utd if he vastly improves their defence which there's every chance he will

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You could have said VVD wasn't worth the €70 odd million Liverpool paid for him at the time.They seemed to be the only one prepared to, even the Arabs at City raised their eyebrows at the price.
    €70M is buttons to Utd if he vastly improves their defence which there's every chance he will

They'll get at least 5 of his best years and probably another few on top of that as a squad player. £70m over that term is very little to United.

It's even better with AWB. Getting a really good player for at least 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Leicester want 90M for Slab Head according to reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fair play to them and the might just get it too.

I wonder does any club accept the first offer nowadays. Utd didn't accept the €9M Inter offered for Lukkaku either :)

Leicester want 90M for Slab Head according to reports.

If it's that much United should walk away. That's ridiculous for him unless it's £50m up front and add ons that involve United winning the Ryder Cup, the F1 drivers championship and the Quidditch World Cup

They'd get Alderweild and Diop from West Ham for that and probably have enough left over to pay Sanchez wages for 6 months.

gimli2112 wrote: »

Van Dijk was viewed as a massive gamble for that price but it paid off as he turned that defence inside out.
    Liverpool went from having a clear weakness at the back to having one of the best defences in Europe right now.
    Not every player can become Van Dijk if you pay 70+ million for him tho. Personally even with all the baggage I think De Ligt is far better value for money than Maguire & (like Juve are thinking) you can sell him in a few years for a profit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can see United going to 80m. If they've already valued him at 70 it isn't a stretch and pr wise for Leicester it would beat the VVD price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ERG89 wrote: »
    Van Dijk was viewed as a massive gamble for that price but it paid off as he turned that defence inside out.
    Liverpool went from having a clear weakness at the back to having one of the best defences in Europe right now.
    Not every player can become Van Dijk if you pay 70+ million for him tho. Personally even with all the baggage I think De Ligt is far better value for money than Maguire & (like Juve are thinking) you can sell him in a few years for a profit too.
    De Ligt rejected United. Can't make him sign, no matter the value of it.

FitzShane wrote:
    Before last summer, AWB had started a premier league against Liverpool and started against Utd, Spurs, Chelsea in 3 games in a row. More than held his own in those games too. Obviously, in the next season, he took it to another level, but he was playing PL games before that.

Also just checked and was on the bench twice versus United the season before!
    Still doesn't come anywhere close to De Ligt who played a full season with Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They want 90 and will take 80, can't see it not been done if that are at 70m already.
    He's a good player and would form a good partnership with lindelof.

It's United's player if they want him don't see City paying that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

rob316 wrote: »
    They want 90 and will take 80, can't see it not been done if that are at 70m already.
    He's a good player and would form a good partnership with lindelof.

It's United's player if they want him don't see City paying that much.

City don’t operate that way

The dressing room is a very important place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ayoze Perez to Leicester City it seems.

City don’t operate that way

The dressing room is a very important place

What way?

• I heard they want 100 million for him now
    I'd guess and say 150 million by tomorrow
    Deeply concerning times

Corholio wrote: »
    Ayoze Perez to Leicester City it seems.

I think I'll go to the bookies & throw a few quid on Mike Ashley bringing in Mark Hughes.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1145967049061076993?s=19

At around €20m this is pretty shrewd business

https://twitter.com/Inter_en/status/1146086129671835680?s=19

Inter sign Sensi on loan with option to buy from Sassuolo. Looks like they haven't given up on signing Barella who wants to join them over Roma.
    If that doesn't work out they might also go for Lorenzo Pellegrini or Alessandro Florenzi from Roma who are looking to flog Nzonzi who was embarrassingly bad last season. Dzeko & Zaniolo's future are up in the air too. Yeah, Roma are a mess right now.

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1146072830234243072?s=19

€25m might be a snip in a few years time. They look to be going for Thiago Mendes from Lille too.

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1146060549374877696?s=19

Sevilla have spent a nice bit, not sure how anyone would want Luuk De Jong in 2019 tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great signing by Spurs to get Ndombele. Their window is already a success.

United's looking an utter clusterf*ck in contrast. Genuinely think an 8th place finish is a distinct possiblity the way things are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Sergio Reguilon a permanent move?

I thought he looked like a good prospect when I seen him last season.

Advertisement