Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Baggly wrote: »
    I think Luis suarez would disagree with you there.

Not really. He was put in a position where he could have sued the club and forced his exit, but Rodgers (and Gerrard moreso its sounds like) convinced him to just stay, sign a new contract removing that clause, and make a move to a club better than Arsenal the following year.

If anything, that's another instance where a buyout clause would have done the club no favours at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

119m for 19 year old Joao Felix to join Atletico

pjohnson wrote: »
    119m for 19 year old Joao Felix to join Atletico

Was there competition for him? Seems such a huge amount for a guy who - while obviously good - is far from the finished product.

It's getting to the stage where you can't even take a chance on youth without losing an arm and a leg in the process.

With so few actual transfers happening, none of these figures quite make sense to me. I can understand a tv-cash rich UK club not selling, because they have massive income streams elsewhere, but how do Benfica manage it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I read somewhere that Atletico paid just over the release clause at is would then allow them to pay in installments, rather than just one lump sum. I imagine they will spread it over the 7 year contract so around 20m a year.

I wonder what his new Atletico release clause is now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Isn't that also quiet a small buyout clause by Spanish standards.

It is, but he signed last year for just €20m so, at the time, it was more than a threefold increase. Atletico probably thought they'd either have the option to extend and renegotiate it within a year or two if he warranted it, or included a lower one at the start of the contract to ensure they signed him ahead of some rival bids. There was reportedly interest from both Manchester clubs last summer too so it might have been an agent playing tactics - you'll get him now ahead of them but we're not tying him here too long, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FitzShane wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Atletico paid just over the release clause at is would then allow them to pay in installments, rather than just one lump sum. I imagine they will spread it over the 7 year contract so around 20m a year.

I wonder what his new Atletico release clause is now?!

I'd be shocked if Benfica agreed to spread it out that much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Especially when Atleti are getting €70m, €80m and €120m up front from the release clauses of Rodri, Hernández and Griezman.

Especially when Atleti are getting €70m, €80m and €120m up front from the release clauses of Rodri, Hernández and Griezman.

From what I read, that's why Atletico paid more than the release clause. If it was just the release clause amount they would have to pay in one lump sum. So by paying more, it allowed them to spread it out over a number of years, it would soften the blow somewhat for this summer anyways but better in the long run as they would have more cash to work with year on year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Don't they have a crapton of debt though that's hanging over them

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    If todays reports are to believed its absolutely mental that Barca are even considering swapping Countinho, Dembele, Umtiti and Rakatic with PSG for Neymar.

Totally crazy! Especially with how injury prone Neymar is looking these days. His commercial appeal has significantly dropped as well, and his current controversy hasn't helped either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Benfica buy Real Madrid forward (although never played a 1st team game) Raul de Tomas, loose change from the Felix money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From what I read, that's why Atletico paid more than the release clause. If it was just the release clause amount they would have to pay in one lump sum. So by paying more, it allowed them to spread it out over a number of years, it would soften the blow somewhat for this summer anyways but better in the long run as they would have more cash to work with year on year.
    Im not saying it isn't being spread out. I'm say 7 years would be shocking. 3 years would be normal.

Im not saying it isn't being spread out. I'm say 7 years would be shocking. 3 years would be normal.

3 years a lot more realistic than 7 alright to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

PSG would be mental not to except that.

Sh1t even Countinho & Dembele for Neymar would be a great deal for PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

These stories sound like the Barca board are just trying to troll a certain former Boards poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

These stories sound like the Barca board are just trying to troll a certain former Boards poster.

I miss that guy, he was top notch verbal diarrhoea when it came to barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Umtiti doesn't play, Rakitic is getting on (and they've bought De Jong), Neymar is on another level to both Dembele and Coutinho. It's an odd deal but its not completely ridiculous.

The money they paid for Dembele and Coutinho were the actual mistakes.

AdamD wrote: »
    Umtiti doesn't play, Rakitic is getting on (and they've bought De Jong), Neymar is on another level to both Dembele and Coutinho. It's an odd deal but its not completely ridiculous.

The money they paid for Dembele and Coutinho were the actual mistakes.

Seems like this deal just further exacerbates previous bad deals - as good as Neymar can be, he's been injured for huge chunks of the past 2 years, and it doesn't look like his ankle will ever be right again. And since he left he's become increasingly toxic as a player and influence, not to mention the current allegations against him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Looks like Coutinho could be going to PSG if Neymar is moving. Apparently Dembele does not want to go as part of the deal and they are not interested in Umtiti that Barca also wanted to offload. Griezmann seems like it's happening anyway once his 120m release clause kicks in (Athletico have already given away his number 7 to new signing Joao Felix - who is now the 4th most expensive player ever).

Griezmann, Suarez, Neymar & Messi all in the same team next year ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Looks like Coutinho could be going to PSG if Neymar is moving. Apparently Dembele does not want to go as part of the deal and they are not interested in Umtiti that Barca also wanted to offload. Griezmann seems like it's happening anyway once his 120m release clause kicks in (Athletico have already given away his number 7 to new signing Joao Felix - who is now the 4th most expensive player ever).

Thats overkill if there ever was, there no way can play them all and having one on the bench is crazy, surely Suarez is off somewhere.

Neymar Griezmann Messi is unreal front there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

the report that Athetico paid more than Felix's release clause is from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48859847
    Benfica have confirmed Atletico will pay the fee in instalments, after bidding 6m euros more than the 19-year-old's 120m euro release clause.

(No mention of the amount of installments)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah, but they don't have Origi, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

I don’t know why United don’t move for Umtiti instead of Maguire

Officer999 wrote: »

Maybe they have and he told them no.

I know it's easy to say 'Club A should have bought player B instead of player A as he is better/cheaper' but it could come down to the player wanting the move also. I'm sure United wanted Kouilably first, and probably for similar money to Maguire (what's an extra 10m on a 80m transfer really in the grand scheme of things). But he more than likely told them no. No CL football, on a rebuild with an unproven coach, club in a downward spiral.

Why would Umtiti leave Barca for United? Very big step down right now. Barca are guaranteed title challenge, trophies and CL games deep into the knockouts. United cannot guarantee these right now. The same goes for Alderweirld. Even going for Spurs to United would be a step down right now. Spurs have finished top 4 every year for the last 4 years. United have finished in top 4 one time in that period. One of the clubs is continually in the CL places this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barca to United is a huge step down in trophies and climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Maybe they have and he told them no.

I know it's easy to say 'Club A should have bought player B instead of player A as he is better/cheaper' but it could come down to the player wanting the move also. I'm sure United wanted Kouilably first, and probably for similar money to Maguire (what's an extra 10m on a 80m transfer really in the grand scheme of things). But he more than likely told them no. No CL football, on a rebuild with an unproven coach, club in a downward spiral.

Why would Umtiti leave Barca for United? Very big step down right now. Barca are guaranteed title challenge, trophies and CL games deep into the knockouts. United cannot guarantee these right now. The same goes for Alderweirld. Even going for Spurs to United would be a step down right now. Spurs have finished top 4 every year for the last 4 years. United have finished in top 4 one time in that period. One of the clubs is continually in the CL places this weather.

Main reason high profile players would join united right now is marketing their brand or money . There is nothing that suggests that club is going anywhere good anytime soon. Only one club in the EPL has more money to spend then united and yet the owners have wasted hundreds of millions taking the club nowhere. Look what Roman can do with a similar budget. Or Liverpool and spurs with a lower budget.

United is run by clueless bwankers who can market the hell out of it but don’t have a functioning football strategy. A child with experience playing football manager could make a better shot of things. Any serious player joining united is doing so for the money or their brand. Jose was actually a serious signal of intent but the club bottled it when he wanted to push them up to a higher standard. The drama that surrounds him was used to excuse under investment in the first team, as Liverpool broke records for defenders and goalkeepers.

Who knows, Maybe ole will turn it around and buying unproven talent will work because the club isn’t the powerhouse it once was and it seems to attract the wrong sort of proven players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well it's much chillier that's for sure :)

Perez to Foxes should be made official soon, passed medical.

Drumpot wrote: »
    . The drama that surrounds him was used to excuse under investment in the first team, as Liverpool broke records for defenders and goalkeepers.

Under investment? They have spent huge amounts on transfer fees and pay the highest wages in the league.

United fans crying about the Glazers all the time is hilarious, they have provided plenty of funds but its just been pissed away.

They'll spend another 150-200m net this summer, far more than any other team will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Because his knee is ****ed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

FC Barcelona, a side who needs centre halves, are trying to offload one of their centre halves.............it sure is a mystery why clubs aren't queuing up for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still can't believe atleti have shelled that much cash for felix after his first (and very impressive) senior footballing season. Atleti aren't exactly nailing it when it comes to their forward signings the last couple of seasons either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    FC Barcelona, a side who needs centre halves, are trying to offload one of their centre halves.............it sure is a mystery why clubs aren't queuing up for him.
    Trying to sign Neymar and Greizeman when there main issues I could see were CM and defence. Busquets and Rakatic need backups/future replacements and Semedo and Lengelet could do with upgrades while Alba and Pique are on the wane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Lads, its Spain. Defence isnt a priority.

And specifically in this case, making Messi happy is the priority.

rob316 wrote: »
    Under investment? They have spent huge amounts on transfer fees and pay the highest wages in the league.

United fans crying about the Glazers all the time is hilarious, they have provided plenty of funds but its just been pissed away.

They'll spend another 150-200m net this summer, far more than any other team will.

Under investment relative to their value/size. United is valued at nearly the combined value of Liverpool and Chelsea. Do they spend like a club that’s twice their value?

I know it’s not that simple but I think United’s spend is actually not the highest proportionate to their revenue (or it was until recently). People focus on the headline figures which mask the owners not really pushing the boat out on expenses.

And last season united had their best league finish in 6 years, bought an unproven full back and an unremarkable central midfielder. Liverpool, half the value remember, broke a world record for a defender and a goalkeeper to keep their train moving. United actually sold a central midfielder in January without replacing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why would they want him back considering the way he left?
    He became a hate figure but now all is forgiven?

It must be a purely commercial decision.

JPA wrote: »
    Why would they want him back considering the way he left?
    He became a hate figure but now all is forgiven?

It must be a purely commercial decision.

Or maybe a status symbol decision which is sort of on the commercial end I suppose. If I had 200mil, I wouldn’t even spend half it on Neymar.

Players like Neymar and Pogba seem to be the craze these days. Their status is more valuable then their overall contributions. Neither have been value on the pitch for what their clubs paid and pay them.

sugarman wrote: »
    Theyre grand in La Liga, its Europe they need to worry about. Messi's priority has been to win the CL again and if theyre to do that they need midfielders and defenders, not more forwards.

Id agree with you - unfortunately im not a decision maker at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Because Luke Shaw has the only pair of ttties they need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Trying to sign Neymar and Greizeman when there main issues I could see were CM and defence. Busquets and Rakatic need backups/future replacements and Semedo and Lengelet could do with upgrades while Alba and Pique are on the wane

They've already signed Frenkie De Jong for CM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ayoze Pérez signs for Leicester, official. Surprised at that. Bit of a come down for a player with his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rodri a superb signing for Man City unfortunetly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Strumms wrote: »
    Ayoze Pérez signs for Leicester, official. Surprised at that. Bit of a come down for a player with his ability.

He's moved from a relegation threatened club to a Europe challenging one. It's a decent step up and about his right level imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

There was talk on an American Sport Podcast I listen to about Suarez to the Miami MLS team with Adidas pulling the strings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Drumpot wrote: »
    Under investment relative to their value/size. United is valued at nearly the combined value of Liverpool and Chelsea. Do they spend like a club that’s twice their value?

Is that the new net spend?

There was talk on an American Sport Podcast I listen to about Suarez to the Miami MLS team with Adidas pulling the strings

Luis Suarez? He's a few years off the retirement league yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Strumms wrote: »

Thata a nice signing by Leiester, Perez is decent enough.
    He's gone from relegation battle to one of the teams thats up there challanging for top 6, hardly a come down to be fair.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is that the new net spend?

No I really don’t care what the club spends on players or about net spend. United’s net spend is tragic because the club is run poorly. The salaries have only shot up in the last few years, that masks over a decade of under spending relative to what they can afford.

Its the creative accounting and headline figures that annoys me. And I’m not saying united don’t spend crazy money, they do , but they make more then anybody so can afford to spend more then pretty much all but a handful of clubs. But most seasons they don’t outspend everybody. One or two crazy summers disguise under spending most years.

In short they spend well within their financial limits pretty much every season. How does united being the most valuable club in the world help if they don’t spend relative to that value?

Every season they can spend more then Liverpool and Chelsea, but do they? No they don’t because the ambitions of the owners are not lined up with the fans ambitions.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Look at United’s spending, it’s the “highest” amount. But it’s the second Lowest in comparison to turnover (50%). Huddersfield are the only club that spend the same relative to what they take in and only spurs have a Lower spend relative to turnover.

Some good stats on Rodri here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48860805

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

United have spent more than enough required to be a very good side. They've just spent it poorly for the most part. And obviously the manager has become a rotating issue ever since Ferguson retired so you end up with a hodge podge of a squad with players from four different managers in the squad.

I would say it's more clarity in approach that is required than throwing more money at the problem.

United have spent more than enough required to be a very good side. They've just spent it poorly for the most part. And obviously the manager has become a rotating issue ever since Ferguson retired so you end up with a hodge podge of a squad with players from four different managers in the squad.

I would say it's more clarity in approach that is required than throwing more money at the problem.

Yes they’ve spent more then enough to be a very good side, I even said that they have spent poor. I’m pointing out the fact that they don’t spend anything remarkable proportionate to their size when you benchmark them against rivals. That said, the more you spend the more likely even the clueless Woodward will eventually get it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement