Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That Rodri signing just sums up how extremely difficult it's going to be peg City back. They just found Fernandinho's replacement in the most effortless of strokes. Can't see it going wrong for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I was suprised the Felix lad went to Athletico, brilliant club no doubt but they hardly play full on attacking football, unless im mistaken.

126million is still blowing my mind for a 19 uear old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

West Ham letting Arnautovic go at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

pjohnson wrote: »
    Just saw Jagielka is training with Burnley. Very suprised hes not just returned to Sheffield.

Just signed for Sheffield United exactly 12 years after leaving for Everton.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Just signed for Sheffield United exactly 12 years after leaving for Everton.

Jagielka was a top player for everton over the years, like it when a player goes back to where they started. Think Valencia did the same this summer.

sugarman wrote: »
    Hasn't got much in his legs anymore tho, think Ferdinand at QPR before he called it quits. Probably alright as a backup with experience but even so he doesn't fit Sheffield's current style of play.

Valencia went back to a different club in Ecuador.

My mistake your right regarding Valencia.

Dont watch sheffield tbf, but id say he's signed for the reason's ya said. Good around the dressing room, expierence etc.
    Says a bit about the lad tho, was it a free transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

rob316 wrote:
    Luis Suarez? He's a few years off the retirement league yet.

The talk was for the 2020 season MLS kick off so you never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The talk was for the 2020 season MLS kick off so you never know

He'd still be only 33 he'd make **** of that league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Loan of Reguilon from Real Madrid to Sevilla for this coming season confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Martin Ødegaard gone to Real Sociedad on a season loan

Had a decent season at Vitesse, wonder if he'll push on given the fee Real paid for him as a 15/16 year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ravel Morrison is having a trial at Sheffield United.

Chris Wilder say he is a good fit with the club.

By all accounts he has more natural ability than Pogba and any of that group of youth players he was with a Man U.

If he was to get back playing PL football that would be some comeback story.

Samir Nasri signs a 1 year deal with Vincent Kompany's Anderlecht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Ravel Morrison is having a trial at Sheffield United.

Chris Wilder say he is a good fit with the club.

By all accounts he has more natural ability than Pogba and any of that group of youth players he was with a Man U.

If he was to get back playing PL football that would be some comeback story.

He's 26 and has had 40 games since 2014. He might have ability but I seriously doubt he has the mentality

racso1975 wrote: »
    He's 26 and has had 40 games since 2014. He might have ability but I seriously doubt he has the mentality

Thats a mad stat, 40 games in 5 years. We all knew at united he was gifted but his mentality was off the radar like he was gods gift already.
    Hopefully the lad has turned it around, i'd loved to see him play week in and out in the PL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

racso1975 wrote: »

Yeah, IIRC, of the 2011 Youth Cup winning side, he was rated above Pogba and Lingard. He was definitely more talented than Lingard, but despite Lingards reputation as a clown, his professionalism can't be questioned. And that's the biggest difference between himself and Morrison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah Odegaard seems to have a calmness about him when in possession. I think he'll turn into a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah, IIRC, of the 2011 Youth Cup winning side, he was rated above Pogba and Lingard. He was definitely more talented than Lingard, but despite Lingards reputation as a clown, his professionalism can't be questioned. And that's the biggest difference between himself and Morrison.

It's such a shame because of the way he was talked about in the youth, better than Scholes, Giggs etc..

If only Lingard had his talent but that's probably why Lingard understood he needed to put the work in better. Morrison was most likely always the best player on any pitch he was on until first team action. He likely thought that his talent alone would be enough.

How United could have done with him over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Real Madrid offload another promising youngster, this time Theo Hernandez to AC Milan.

Unlike the Reguilon deal, I think this one is permanent rather than a loan (edit: it would appear it too is a loan deal with option to buy)

They have started to free up some wages, who'll be going next with interest in Ceballos, Isco, Lucas Vasquez?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Morata joins Atletico on a permanent deal; for 50 million.

I'll be honest I don't know who is in charge of transfers at that club but I think with the players they sent to China, the Felix deal plus other moves like Arias, Vrsaljko, Martins, Kalanic, Vitolo, many others that they play a very strange role at the club.

Morata isn't far off Borini* being a fairly poor player who consistently gets good moves regardless of performances.

*except for large fees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

ERG89 wrote: »
    Morata joins Atletico on a permanent deal; for 50 million.

I'll be honest I don't know who is in charge of transfers at that club but I think with the players they sent to China, the Felix deal plus other moves like Arias, Vrsaljko, Martins, Kalanic, Vitolo, many others that they play a very strange role at the club.

Morata isn't far off Borini* being a fairly poor player who consistently gets good moves regardless of performances.

*except for large fees

In fairness he's miles better than Borini.

He's scored goals in a champions league final and big games in Europe.16 goals in 31 caps for Spain.

Morata is a good player he just may not be good enough to be the main striker at a big club so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year as the main man with Ateltico it's probably his last chance to prove himself as being the main striker at a big club.

Everton linked with a move for Diego Costa this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Oooh spicy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Can't see it myself and hopefully it doesn't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That would be hilarious - the derby game would be erm lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

He's had an absolute nightmare since returning to Atletico. Played just 19 times in all comps last season due to various injuries and suspensions, scoring just four goals in that time. He'll be 31 in October...

Might be worth a loan? If he'd cost a big fee and hefty wages, though, you'd have to say they could do better really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He's had an absolute nightmare since returning to Atletico. Played just 19 times in all comps last season due to various injuries and suspensions, scoring just four goals in that time. He'll be 31 in October...

Might be worth a loan? If he'd cost a big fee and hefty wages, though, you'd have to say they could do better really.

If you want to piss off every other team's fans (and players, let's be honest) in the league, sure. I wsan't overly impressed watching him last season (which wasn't very much in all honesty).

If I was an opposing manager I'd be telling every player to wind him up constantly and let him get himself sent off.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I thought Celta Vigo had already accepted bids from Valencia and West Ham and it was Maxi Gomez to make a decision!?

A few places reporting this evening that Ashley has approached Gerrard about taking the Newcastle job.

Does Ashley still have shares in Rangers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Tielamans done to Leicester for 40m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

eh i dunno wrote: »

That's a great move. He'll be worth multiple times that in a season or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Burnley sign Erik Pieters and looks like jay rodriguez. Continuing the trend of only really being able to attract players from the championship. Jay Rodriguez will be a good signing if that one gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

eh i dunno wrote: »

Thank goodness for that. Was worried United were going to go for him. The hype for him is out of control over a few decent performances against poor defences. Watched him plenty of times in Ligue 1 where he disappointed hugely. He goes missing far too often against top sides and I think that will be borne out over a full season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thank goodness for that. Was worried United were going to go for him. The hype for him is out of control over a few decent performances against poor defences. Watched him plenty of times in Ligue 1 where he disappointed hugely. He goes missing far too often against top sides and I think that will be borne out over a full season.

Better hope the Isco rumours aren't true either so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Interesting that both big name Barcelona targets Neymar and Griezmann have both skipped pre-season training, and both clubs have released statements criticizing them.

The Barcelona effect in full force again.

I really dispise that club and their ****house tapping up tactics. How neymar was snatched from them in the first place was very satisfying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

rob316 wrote: »
    I really dispise that club and their ****house tapping up tactics. How neymar was snatched from them in the first place was very satisfying

They're no different than any other top club in that regard and it's not as if the payers and their agents aren't complicit as well.

Tapping up goes on all the time at least Barca aren't pretending it doesn't like a lot of other clubs are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Interesting that both big name Barcelona targets Neymar and Griezmann have both skilled pre-season training, and both clubs have released statements criticizing them.

The Barcelona effect in full force again.

Saw this just now. Scum.

And this coming from a traditionally big fan of Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They're no different than any other top club in that regard and it's not as if the payers and their agents aren't complicit as well.

Tapping up goes on all the time at least Barca aren't pretending it doesn't like a lot of other clubs are.

No, they definitely do pretend like they’re above all that shîte. All this “more than a club” crap is something I’d have fallen for years ago, but they’re painting themselves as a saintly organisation with a special place in the football world when in fact they’re some of, if not the biggest crooks on the pitch and off it.

Real Madrid, now there’s a club who are entirely unapologetic about who they are, and I respect them more for it even if they’re as bad as Barca.

You’re right though in that every top club is at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ardent wrote: »
    Saw this just now. Scum.

And this coming from a traditionally big fan of Barcelona.

In Barca's defence Neymar & Griezmann haven't exactly been exemplary professionals much the last few years.

The latter when suspended went to the States to watch a basketball game instead of staying to train and made a now pointless documentary on signing a contract last summer.

Neymar has had a rather serious allegation put against him, took the piss of his opponents constantly in Ligue 1, missed a strange amount of away games for PSG & is suspended for the first few games in both Ligue 1 & the Champions league before next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given the character of both players I'd give them a bollocking regardless, Barca or no Barca.

• I've grown to dislike everything about Greizmann bar the technical ability. Similar to Neymar.

Bollox. They are the worst, remember the fabregas transfer. All the players going out to the media begging for arsenal to let him come home, his Barca DNA etc.

Pretending to be some special club with that mesque une club nonsense.

They got coutinho to refuse to play too to force a transfer, it's a common tactic from them.

As someone else said I like Madrid they don't pretend to be anything else than the big bully in the school yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I've grown to dislike everything about Greizmann bar the technical ability. Similar to Neymar.

Yes, neymar is a better player imo though, neither are capable of winning balloon d'or though

• Yes, neymar is a better player imo though, neither are capable of winning balloon d'or though

They could all learn a thing or two from the ultimate pros like Messi, Ronaldo, Zlatan ect.

They won't ever fall in that bracket because of how unprofessional they are at times. A new age of footballer IMO. The bad kind.

As a Utd fan I'd lump Pogba in the same bracket as Neymar, Greizmann and the like IMO

Neymar is thick trying to force the owners hands they could literally stick him in the stands if they wanted they are so wealthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've grown to dislike everything about Greizmann bar the technical ability. Similar to Neymar.
    Neymar is running out of road in terms of playing for big clubs. If he's stuck at PSG and not playing that probably only gives 2 years to convince anyone to indulge him. Once he's over 30 and doesn't wise up he may as well find something else to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They could all learn a thing or two from the ultimate pros like Messi, Ronaldo, Zlatan ect.

They won't ever fall in that bracket because of how unprofessional they are at times. A new age of footballer IMO. The bad kind.

As a Utd fan I'd lump Pogba in the same bracket as Neymar, Greizmann and the like IMO
    Pogba is like Balotelli could have been. Without a nursed ego he's like a spoilt child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronaldo tried to engineer a move away from Old Trafford, comparing his treatment to that of a slave:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague1

Problem is the top players know they have the power in these situations, and they're being egged on by their agents to behave as obnoxiously as possible to get what they want.

I respect the way Hazard handled his business. Everyone knew he wanted the Madrid move but he went about it in the right way.

Advertisement