Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't see how there will be a casastrophic crash. Most of the income these clubs are getting comes from TV deals, prize money and sponsorships. Each of these are decided 2/3 years in advance. Most player contracts are 3-4 years, if their revenue was to drop they'd know far enough in advance to plan for it.

The rest are happy to join in on the gluttony but if you get relegated and don't bounce back up it could be grim. Someone like Fulham aren't really selling many of the players bought for exorbitant fees last year & hopefully they have measures in place at pay cuts based on Premier League relegation or their wages are going to look ugly. Bless them but Huddersfield or Cardiff accepted their demotions this time last year.
    I do notice this summer seems very quiet. Arsenal & Liverpool have signed a teenager each. City & Spurs another (albeit more expensive) player each.
    With only 3 & a bit weeks to go so far it feels far quieter than last year or at least feels that way.

I imagine agent fees, ridiculous prices and maybe a few clubs thinking they'll be ok is playing into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The infrastructure investment it would cost the PL to sell the rights directly themselves to the end user would take decades to come back to them and even then they would still need to sell it aswell as Sky.
    The kicker of the PL right deals is even if you buy all the subs, you still only have access to half the games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

rob316 wrote: »
    The infrastructure investment it would cost the PL to sell the rights directly themselves to the end user would take decades to come back to them and even then they would still need to sell it aswell as Sky.
    The kicker of the PL right deals is even if you buy all the subs, you still only have access to half the games.

Only in the UK and Ireland. Everywhere else on the planet has access to every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Did someone say strategic partnership with Netflix or Amazon to learn the ropes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Only in the UK and Ireland. Everywhere else on the planet has access to every game.

I think that's because this is where the majority of the match going fans come from ? That said, I dont know if an awful lot of Irish fans would be going to most of the games they dont show and Im not sure if the ones they dont show of the bigger teams would be affected that much . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Unearthly wrote: »
    The premier league would probably be far richer if they wiped out the middle companies like Sky and BT and just did their own subscription package of like 15 euro a month.

I remember this being floated a couple of tv deals ago, when there was speculation they weren't going to be getting the money they wanted, so they conducted some research into what streaming would need, and the likely returns.

I do think it will not be long before clubs start looking to be allowed to set up their own streaming services for live games, whether that extends domestically or not.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think that's because this is where the majority of the match going fans come from ? That said, I dont know if an awful lot of Irish fans would be going to most of the games they dont show and Im not sure if the ones they dont show of the bigger teams would be affected that much . .

There is the 3pm Saturday TV blackout, but that doesn't explain why all the matches from midweek rounds (changing this season I know) and Sundays can't be televised.

We should have access to all the games, but are stuck because we share the UK rights.

Amazon is really interesting though, they could wipe the floor with Sky/BT if they wanted to. They could take the top packages next time around and use it as part of their prime service. That is Amazons goal after all to have more Prime subscribers, get into your home so you will pretty much buy everything from them/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Amazon is really interesting though, they could wipe the floor with Sky/BT if they wanted to. They could take the top packages next time around and use it as part of their prime service. That is Amazons goal after all to have more Prime subscribers, get into your home so you will pretty much buy everything from them/.

Yup, and the money they make from AWS allows them to take a hit on streaming income over the short term, to bring in more subscribers over the long term.

Taking sports away from cable/subscription TV will be the final nail in the coffin for that model I think - it's about the only thing left that you really want to be able to watch live instead of on-demand. Seems like it would be worth Amazon's while to kill off that model and drive the move towards streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

That's the way Amazon work in every market they enter. They come in and undercut everyone running at a loss until they are the big dog in that market.

Prime is an amazing service already, if they add Premier League games it'll practically be essential and game over for anyone else trying to compete with them.

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Yeah but it's a lot easier to click a button to add sky sports to your package than it is to set up a completely separate subscription. It's not the super committed fan that has made the EPL the powerhouse it is, it's the ultra casual fan that they have tapped so well into that has done that. If it's not as easy as hitting a button they'll be lost.
    Probably the subject of another thread though.

I don't agree with this at all. Setting up a Netflix account or Amazon prime is probably easier than getting a Sky sub.

Premier League on Amazon Prime will do better numbers than Sky because of the accessibility and ease of use. It would go a decent way to cutting people going for illegal streams as well because most will pay for the convenience and reliability.

Sky is just too expensive. Either they launch an online Premier league service for a much lower price point or they will lose the rights in the next few years. Even then Amazon is a big company to try to fight, if they decide they want the PL long term they'll get it eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's the way Amazon work in every market they enter. They come in and undercut everyone running at a loss until they are the big dog in that market.

Prime is an amazing service already, if they add Premier League games it'll practically be essential and game over for anyone else trying to compete with them.
    The streaming market is going to fragment over the next decade anyway. TBH the number of games on TV is already excessive for many people.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The streaming market is going to fragment over the next decade anyway. TBH the number of games on TV is already excessive for many people.

But if people can watch all their teams PL games when they want but this service also gets them free Amazon deliveries and the prime video content. They'll go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Be careful what you wish for.

Streaming is not as good as a Satellite TV for live sporting events.

Amazon prime had the US open tennis last year and it was miles behind proper television, Eleven Sports coverage of Serie A and La Liga was much worse than the coverage on Sky and BT Sport

Streaming of live sports is nowhere close to being as a good as watching on satellite TV, until it can be as 100% reliable and has the same picture and sound quality of satellite TV it's a step backward for the viewer.

Not everyone in Ireland has good enough internet to be able to stream events effectively and also you don't have the same option regarding recording live events that sky plus gives you.

The Sky/BT sport option is perfect for the casual sports fan which makes up most of the market.

But if people can watch all their teams PL games when they want but this service also gets them free Amazon deliveries and the prime video content. They'll go for it.
    It didn't work for me nor will it work for some others. Found their offering very limited and I rarely shop on Amazon now that I've enthusiastically embraced shop local! As for the football I've developed a new love for MOTD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Delph to Everton confirmed. Gomes and Delph for 30m is not too bad considering some other fees this summer

Be careful what you wish for.

The Sky/BT sport option is perfect for the casual sports fan which makes up most of the market.

The casual fan who has plenty of expendable cash, sure. But not the rest.

How much does that Sky/BT package cost in total? Including having to pay for normal sky tv.

It's a huge barrier to fans. There's a reason so many stream.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It didn't work for me nor will it work for some others. Found their offering very limited and I rarely shop on Amazon now that I've enthusiastically embraced shop local! As for the football I've developed a new love for MOTD!

I've a feeling you are going to be increasingly in the minority in the coming years though.

Not having a go or anything but I just can't see it going any other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Celtic reject 18m plus 7m add ons from arsenal for Tierney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Celtic reject 18m plus 7m add ons from arsenal for Tierney

For the amount of money other players are going for I'm surprised celtic even acknowledged it, I'd have thought that was a joke.

The casual fan who has plenty of expendable cash, sure. But not the rest.

How much does that Sky/BT package cost in total? Including having to pay for normal sky tv.

It's a huge barrier to fans. There's a reason so many stream.

Legal Streaming won't be much cheaper and as soon as they get a decent hold of the market they'll start jacking up their prices.

Sky Sports is €40 per month which is decent value considering the amount of sport they have just €1.25 per day is not that expensive.Can't remember how expensive BT was but I think it was something like €16 per month.

I watch pretty much every single sport going so these type of packages are great for me.I probably average watching 3 hours of sport per day so It's good value for someone like me.More specified packs are poor value for someone like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

Fabian Delph confirmed for Everton.

3 year deal, £8 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why haven't Man U triggered Alderweireld £25m clause they were heavily linked last season as the team that would trigger it instead of trying to spend £80m on Maguire?

Also why haven't every other club tried to trigger that clause?

I've a feeling you are going to be increasingly in the minority in the coming years though.

Not having a go or anything but I just can't see it going any other way.
    I'm not sure how far it can go. The upcoming fragmentation on the streaming side will become very costly to the point where we'll limit ourselves in subscriptions. If the sports deals go the same way they will end up losing viewers for the sport itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Why haven't Man U triggered Alderweireld £25m clause they were heavily linked last season as the team that would trigger it instead of trying to spend £80m on Maguire?

He may have a limited number of clubs he's interested in moving to. Hard to believe that several clubs haven't sounded him out by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Wrong side of 30, already shown signs of decline and probably looking for north of £200k a week in his last big contract. Not too surprising tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

think he's keen on Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is a weird one alright... even with the wages he'd be looking for, he's an absolute steal with his clause. And 30 isn't all that old for a CB. Especially if he needs to be slightly less of a stalwart for a new club than he was for Spurs, where he had to play just about every minute he was physically capable of. He looked to be tiring a little towards the end of last season, but he's been a serious workhorse for them over the years... just easing off on his playing time a little bit would give him 3 or 4 top level years I think.

Arsenal and Utd should be all over that, City too, as a Kompany replacement (though I could see them wanting to go younger). The big one for me though is Barca - absolutely tailor made for them.

justshane wrote: »
    think he's keen on Roma.

Who won't be paying him 200k a week unless someone there had a stroke mid sentence discussing his contract.

He only turned 30 in March too so probably has 2 or 3 years left in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

La Liga showing up the PL this summer so far it has gone past the €1b euro mark in transfers.

• Advertisement

La Liga showing up the PL this summer so far it has gone past the €1b euro mark in transfers.

Atletico sold Griezmann, Rodri, Hernandez and Martin's for €300m.
    Is that a new record for one window??
    Monaco would be more a few years ago but Mbappe was a loan then a fee paid the following year.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wrong side of 30, already shown signs of decline and probably looking for north of £200k a week in his last big contract. Not too surprising tbh.

He's still a massive upgrade on smalling and Jones.

Thought city would go for him, probably turned down United it's a step down from spurs let's be honest.

He could just fancy a season with spurs before he becomes a free agent, probably his best chance at silverware staying with them over interested clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I figure there has to be something up with the release clause that means it doesn’t include other Premier League sides or something because he’d walk into every back 4 in the league. It was only last week we found out that it expires two weeks before the window closes so I figure there’s more to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Weepsie wrote: »
    He's still a massive upgrade on smalling and Jones.

Very true but seems like we have a new policy this year. Been burned too many times in recent years by ageing veterans on big contracts. Though granted I put a lot of that down to playing in an awful team.

Sebastian Haller is traveling to London to have a medical at West Ham. Official from Eintracht Frankfurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

De Ligt on his way to Turin

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48729302

• Baggly wrote: »

Rumours of Liverpool in for him originally and Real.
    Utd it seems have at least made clear this summer to not be dealing with Raiola.

It's a good move for De Ligt at this age and it always looked like his preference was Italy. Juve an attractive prospect and have strengthened again this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sebastian Haller -> West Ham for £36m, which could rise to £45m.

20 goals & 12 assists in 41 games last season for Eintracht. Should be a very good player for them.

EDIT: English version of tweet.

https://twitter.com/eintracht_eng/status/1151050560784732160

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis have signed Alfonso Pedraza on loan from Villareal for the season with an option to buy him for 10 million at the end of the season. Spanish u-21, very good going forward but dodgy defending, a bit like Junior really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FitzShane wrote: »
    Sebastian Haller -> West Ham for £36m, which could rise to £45m.

20 goals & 12 assists in 41 games last season for Eintracht. Should be a very good player for them.

EDIT: English version of tweet.

https://twitter.com/eintracht_eng/status/1151050560784732160

****ing nightmare summer for Entracht Frankfurt fans. First Jovic, now Haller. Still, €100m+ in the bank...

That's an absolute bargain for Delph, great business from Everton that is. You can't get anything resembling PL proven for £8m now.

You'd think Haller could do a lot better than West Ham.

Eintracht Frankfurt fans must be seriously pissed off with 2 of there best players being sold, they were making real progress the last few years and now it's back to square one, they'd have had a great chance of getting in to the champions league places next season and now it's probably back to mid table obscurity for them

An awful lot of the big German teams seem to be incredibly unambitious.

You'd think Haller could do a lot better than West Ham.

Eintracht Frankfurt fans must be seriously pissed off with 2 of there best players being sold, they were making real progress the last few years and now it's back to square one, they'd have had a great chance of getting in to the champions league places next season and now it's probably back to mid table obscurity for them

With the 50+1 rule they can't really complain too much, that rule is great in lots of ways but also means when you're offered a lot of money you sort of need to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

D14Rugby wrote: »
    With the 50+1 rule they can't really complain too much, that rule is great in lots of ways but also means when you're offered a lot of money you sort of need to take it.

what's the 50+1 rule?

In football you need money to be ambitious to pay big fees or wages.
    With Jovic honestly a player moving from Frankfurt to Real is a massive move for him.
    A player moving from Frankfurt to West Ham clearly isn't tho. But the way most Bundesliga teams (only Bayern & maybe Dortmund) are ran if a bid comes in large enough they will consider it.

FitzShane wrote: »
    what's the 50+1 rule?

Basically fans must hold over 50% of the voting rights on a clubs board.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    In football you need money to be ambitious to pay big fees or wages.
    With Jovic honestly a player moving from Frankfurt to Real is a massive move for him.
    A player moving from Frankfurt to West Ham clearly isn't tho. But the way most Bundesliga teams (only Bayern & maybe Dortmund) are ran if a bid comes in large enough they will consider it.

Understand Jovic going, gettinga chance to play for Real Madrid is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity so it would have been almost impossible to keep him and have him happy there but surely they should have been trying to keep Haller and get into the champions league places.

Advertisement