Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

****ing nightmare summer for Entracht Frankfurt fans. First Jovic, now Haller. Still, €100m+ in the bank...

Great news for Fantasy Football tho , he will slot into my team nicely :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Understand Jovic going, gettinga chance to play for Real Madrid is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity so it would have been almost impossible to keep him and have him happy there but surely they should have been trying to keep Haller and get into the champions league places.

Maybe West Ham are going to triple his wages. Hard for him to say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One of those signings where I can see Man Utd trying to buy him for 120 million in 2 years time *

*please don't quote me in 2 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

rob316 wrote: »
    That's an absolute bargain for Delph, great business from Everton that is. You can't get anything resembling PL proven for £8m now.

If I was Arsenal I’d have been all over that. Why weren’t they? Seems like the kind of guy they are crying out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Understand Jovic going, gettinga chance to play for Real Madrid is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity so it would have been almost impossible to keep him and have him happy there but surely they should have been trying to keep Haller and get into the champions league places.

London and huge wages. Higher profile league and club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

He could just fancy a season with spurs before he becomes a free agent, probably his best chance at silverware staying with them over interested clubs

League 1960-61
    UEFA Cup 1983-84
    FA Cup 1990-91
    L'gue Cup 2007-08

Not much silverware going on there now.

If I was Arsenal I’d have been all over that. Why weren’t they? Seems like the kind of guy they are crying out for.

Probably settled in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ravel Morrison signs a 1 year deal at Sheffield United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Ravel Morrison signs a 1 year deal at Sheffield United.

What age is he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jacool wrote: »
    League 1960-61
    UEFA Cup 1983-84
    FA Cup 1990-91
    L'gue Cup 2007-08

Yes they haven't won much lately, but you've left five FA Cups, three League Cups, a Cup Winner Cup and another UEFA Cup of of that list since 1961.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What age is he?

jacool wrote: »
    League 1960-61
    UEFA Cup 1983-84
    FA Cup 1990-91
    L'gue Cup 2007-08

Im talking potential not historically, what they won in the past doesnt alter there chances of winning this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Could see someone like Wilder getting something out of Morrison. Would be a shame for him to go through a career and not get anything out of the talent.

He's for the scrap heap, last club was Ostersunds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Corholio wrote: »
    Could see someone like Wilder getting something out of Morrison. Would be a shame for him to go through a career and not get anything out of the talent.

I don't think there's any chance at this stage. He hasn't had the gametime to learn the game at the very top level. There's a reason it takes young players time to adapt and learn when they come into first teams.

The standard of football he had been playing for the last 5 years will have no benefit to him now. He has simply missed out on the needed development to make that step up.

The game will be too quick, the players will be too powerful and they will have a lot more knowhow about them from the expierence of playing at the top.

If he got his act together (said for about the 100th time) he could maybe have a career in the lower leagues, maybe even a decent championship club in time but it's over for him in the PL imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't see that transfer being a success. Trippier has stated that he wants to stay in England. I think you need to embrace a foreign country to enable a move be a success and i don't see Trippier doing that.

I like that, up for a challenge instead of doing the usual mid table merry go round when an English player isn't deemed good enough for Top 4 club anymore.

£20m seems cheap though, given the fees been spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

£20 million seems very low in comparison to the other English players on the move this summer...

Could be a good move. I don't think he's a massive loss to Spurs, he was poor for long spells last season. Would be interested to see who they replace him with or whether they back Aurier and Walker-Peters as the options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Tripper seems so much younger than he actually is at 28/29 in Sep

Had a poor season last year, £20million is great business from Levy/Spurs

• Advertisement

Tripper seems so much younger than he actually is at 28/29 in Sep

Had a poor season last year, £20million is great business from Levy/Spurs

Oh hes that age, I had him pegged for 26 at the most. Fee makes more sense so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No way Levy would let him go for so little. Is is contract running out?

Edit: I see he's way older than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think he would do well in Spain. He has very good technique his lack of pace lets him down. He had a very poor season last year but had been good up till then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fair play to Tripper a good move to play for a class manager and to live in a great City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I guess it was made clear that Aurier would be first choice and he didn't fancy the fight! Sure that gives Trent a free run at the England RB slot for the medium term...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Dickerty wrote: »
    I guess it was made clear that Aurier would be first choice and he didn't fancy the fight! Sure that gives Trent a free run at the England RB slot for the medium term...

Can't blame him for that, why potentially waste a season sitting on the bench at that stage in your career.

Far too many players hang around too long fighting for a place when they'd be better off to be playing every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dickerty wrote: »

Yeah, not like anyone playing for Atletico Madrid, Man City or Man United would ever be considered for that role...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lookman to Leipzig for €25m

I don't think there's any chance at this stage. He hasn't had the gametime to learn the game at the very top level. There's a reason it takes young players time to adapt and learn when they come into first teams.

The standard of football he had been playing for the last 5 years will have no benefit to him now. He has simply missed out on the needed development to make that step up.

The game will be too quick, the players will be too powerful and they will have a lot more knowhow about them from the expierence of playing at the top.

If he got his act together (said for about the 100th time) he could maybe have a career in the lower leagues, maybe even a decent championship club in time but it's over for him in the PL imo.

A lot of lower league players have taken to PL very well when there wasn't much talk about them doing so, or having the right attributes etc. Talent has a fu..y way of showing itself. I'm not saying he will, chances are he perhaps won't, but a lot of discussion about players being good enough etc for the PL tends to not be worth much because there's always quite a few who bed in really well. Lots of players from relegated teams always remain in the PL every year despite not having had top flight 'development'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Interesting, if true. He is a Manchester correspondent.

https://twitter.com/jamesrobsonES/status/1151396699950202880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FitzShane wrote: »

I don't think that is correct, and that guy is not trustworthy imo.

It has been clear since before the season ended that De Ligt going to Barca was not 100% and given Riola was involved he'd have been bigging him up to every club with a bit of money.

Ornstein, for example, has said United were (for a long time, and up to a couple of weeks ago) the only team to actually put an offer on the table for him.

I don't doubt United felt Barca were the likely destination at one point, but I also don't doubt that as it became apparent that wasn't the case that United would be absolutely aware of that.

I think the reality is Juve are simply a better option, and that is why De Ligt is there - not because United didn't bother.

But writing that United are incompetent is 1. Believable. 2. Generating of all the clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah he was linked with Liverpool and PSG as well. I think the internet should just be turned off for the Summer

• Advertisement

I don't think that is correct, and that guy is not trustworthy imo.

It has been clear since before the season ended that De Ligt going to Barca was not 100% and given Riola was involved he'd have been bigging him up to every club with a bit of money.

Ornstein, for example, has said United were (for a long time, and up to a couple of weeks ago) the only team to actually put an offer on the table for him.

I don't doubt United felt Barca were the likely destination at one point, but I also don't doubt that as it became apparent that wasn't the case that United would be absolutely aware of that.

I think the reality is Juve are simply a better option, and that is why De Ligt is there - not because United didn't bother.

But writing that United are incompetent is 1. Believable. 2. Generating of all the clicks.

Fair enough, I didn't know how reliable he was, have just seen his name around a bit.

Yeah the general perception was that he was going to Barca, with Do Jong, but Juventus trumped them. I'm sure United did offer but to be fair, he wouldn't go there currently and if he did you would have to question his decision making at picking United currently over Barca, Juventus or even PSG.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah he was linked with Liverpool and PSG as well. I think the internet should just be turned off for the Summer

I don't think Liverpool were after him this summer at all.

'Links' need to be broken down into 2 categories for me - 1) the 'links' that is basically clickbait sh1te and twitter crap that is blatantly just made up to get people talking. eg Bruno Fernandes to Liverpool. Never happening and not even worth talking about. but still got airtime. 2) the serious links that have multiple different strong sources etc and you can see that a club are really trying to buy a player. this is a much more serious 'link' and there is big difference. eg De Ligt to United or Maguire.

for what it's worth, Liverpool did make an attempt for De Ligt in the summer of 2018, before last season. They have a habit of trying to sign players before the players 'arrival' season where they step up a level. eg Dembele, Mbappe, De Ligt, Salah, Mane, VVD (2)

• gimli2112 wrote: »

Correct, multiple reports of Liverpool in for him also

And about as reliable as the Utd, PSG and all the other ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

FitzShane wrote: »

Who cares really ,it's not a fact ,just a stir the pot tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sebastien Haller: West Ham sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker for club record £45m

The english tax is well and truly alive and kicking :eek:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49017405

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Don't know about English tax on that one, Haller is quality and I couldn't see him going for much less than that.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on without Jovic and Rebic beside him over the season though, they all worked brilliantly with one another. West Ham have some huge talent in their squad already with Anderson, Rice, Diop and Fornals, with all the talk of Leicester and Wolves making waves to crack the big 6, West Ham arguably have the best manager of the three and the money to back him.

More than likely it'll be 7th to 9th for them in any order, but you have three really strong looking teams there, should be at least taking a fair amount of points off the top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Fair play to him for going out there and to a very decent club too. Not a Spurs fan but I was impressed with how honest he was about his performances sometimes. May or may not work out of course but he can only be a better player for playing over there.

Corholio wrote: »
    Fair play to him for going out there and to a very decent club too. Not a Spurs fan but I was impressed with how honest he was about his performances sometimes. May or may not work out of course but he can only be a better player for playing over there.

Ya said the same, he could of went to some midtable PL side probably for more money but chose a new life, culture, CL football and a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Trippier can't defend, looking forward to Simeone losing his mind as Trippier continuously switches off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A fullback who’s only good going forward in a Simeone team just seems a bit odd, doesn’t it? The one thing is, he’ll have a lot more protection from the right wing than he’d ever get at Spurs, so he won’t be found out as often. Still doesn’t make any sense to me though, Clyne could probably be gotten at a similar price and he’s much better defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

martyos121 wrote: »
    A fullback who’s only good going forward in a Simeone team just seems a bit odd, doesn’t it?

A lot of Atletico's signings the past few years have been like the person in charge of making them doesn't watch the team play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

ERG89 wrote: »
    A lot of Atletico's signings the past few years have been like the person in charge of making them doesn't watch the team play.

Or they're trying to evolve their play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Juve pay £67.8m with 5 year deal for de Ligt confirmed this morning.

Bargain that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Juve pay £67.8m with 5 year deal for de Ligt confirmed this morning.

Bargain that.

Bargain at face value, but I'd wager that both his agent and Raiola did very well out of this deal also and that it might not seem like such a bargain if their fees are ever made public.

• Advertisement
Advertisement