Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There always has to be a villain Bale, Pogba , Lovern, Ozil.....it's the same at every club. It helps if they're foreign apparently
    Bale's problem in recent years is injuries

Well Lovren did go from starter to 4th choice centre back so maybe Klopp agreed with them. :D
    Bale's biggest problem was when Ronaldo left last summer he was meant to take over his mantle and I think everyone knows now he absolutely can't. It's kinda what he was hyped up to do for years which makes not doing it come off far worse than it actually is, as it was never, ever, ever realistic.
    He didn't really have that many injuries and when you score 8 league goals it doesn't cut the mustard, Benzema who had essentially already been sacrificing his role for Ronaldo carried the can instead. He was quite vocal after the 2018 Champions League final about being unhappy not starting & questioning the decision (wondering why Zizou don't like him look at that), 12 months later he seems perfectly fine with not being a regular.
    What's happening Bale essentially happens every top player when his time comes, except Bale is 30 years old not 34 and not willing to accept his time at Madrid is over.

Update on the Fekir rumour, apparently they have chosen Betis as no other club would include his brother(who is rubbish by all accounts) in their first team squad.

Christ he must be bad. Following in the footsteps of Digao & Antonio Donnarumma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Whatever about Bale and his wages/injuries, etc. he deserves more respect from club and fans.

Real hadn't won the Champions League in 12 years before he signed.

He scored in the 1st final.
    Assisted the only goal in the 2nd and scored in peno shootout.
    Started the 3rd final
    In the 4th he was MOTM v Liverpool

That alone should be legendary at some clubs

Legendary at every single club in the world, except Real.

I hope for his own sake he gets a move. But China might be his only option if he doesn't want to take a pay cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jim White saying it’s looking like Bale is off to a China for a £1m a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Whatever about Bale and his wages/injuries, etc. he deserves more respect from club and fans.

Started the 3rd final

Well 102 goals in 231 appearances is not legendary and while that is good for many clubs, his consistency has not. When he's good he's very good but when he's bad you wouldn't have him on the bench for Blackburn Rovers! He had far too many bad games for RM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sugarman wrote: »
    Would be mad not to bite their hand off for that kind of money, a year or 2 over there reeling it in then back to Europe at 31/32.

He'll just retire after that you'd imagine, he on record as saying he feels like a robot and doesn't enjoy the professional game anymore. Wages wouldn't be a problem at the big clubs if his attitude and fitness was atleast right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well 102 goals in 231 appearances is not legendary and while that is good for many clubs, his consistency has not. When he's good he's very good but when he's bad you wouldn't have him on the bench for Blackburn Rovers! He had far too many bad games for RM.

That's not my point.

Sometimes it comes down to defining moments in games where a player is remembered fondly rather than their goalscoring record, etc.

Sheringham at United played less games and scored less goals than Bale but is still remembered fondly and IMO a United legend due to the goals in the FA Cup & Champions League final in 99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why are United not in for him, he is PL proven and could do a good job there

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Why are United not in for him, he is PL proven and could do a good job there

Even he would destroy there wage structure, Pogba would want to be on the same then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Maybe after a year or two in China he'll take a cut to acceptable levels for the PL? Though he may have lost pace and ability by that time, playing in a far lesser league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Bale to China is a little sad, I think. Such talent but it seems little interest or drive from the player himself. With a wage cut, he could get into teams in any league in Europe, if he wanted. But that last bit seems to be the key; he just doesn't seem to want to.

Anyway, in done deal news: Ethan Ampadu has left Chelsea on loan to Leipzig. I thought he might be involved in the first team this season as he was in and around the team last season but they must think he is better served by a loan. Leipzig are very good for giving youngsters a chance so will be interested to see how this works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No drive from Bale is a narrative I hear alot recently.

Anytime I see him play, especially for Wales, it's not the impression I get at all.

Had his injury problems but four CLs and scoring decisive goals in at least two of those finals is an incredible achievement that would get you godlike status elsewhere.

Until someone makes a bid and he rejects it for financial reasons then I'm not sure I'll be buying the narrative. Seen him drag his country through too many games to buy the narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

noodler wrote: »
    No drive from Bale is a narrative I hear alot recently.

Anytime I see him play, especially for Wales, it's not the impression I get at all.

Had his injury problems but four CLs and scoring decisive goals in at least two of those finals is an incredible achievement that would get you godlike status elsewhere.

Until someone makes a bid and he rejects it for financial reasons then I'm not sure I'll be buying the narrative. Seen him drag his country through too many games to buy the narrative.
    The Madrid press spinning has been on overdrive for months. Not his fault they gave him a massive 6 year contract and not his fault the manager doesn't fancy him. His performances haven't warranted this kind of treatment.

That's not my point.

Sometimes it comes down to defining moments in games where a player is remembered fondly rather than their goalscoring record, etc.

Sheringham at United played less games and scored less goals than Bale but is still remembered fondly and IMO a United legend due to the goals in the FA Cup & Champions League final in 99.
    He was a forward and part of the RBB front line. Being the hero in the CL is no cover when you don't perform in La Liga. They've only won La Liga once since 2012 and that is a big deal for fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Zidane must really hate Bale. Seemingly wants him out at any cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think it's Bale's lack of ambition that has him pissed off. Wont take a pay cut etc. Can see both sides

He's on £650,000 a week so paying that over the next year's that is £100m.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RasTa wrote: »
    I think it's Bale's lack of ambition that has him pissed off. Wont take a pay cut etc. Can see both sides

Does he have a lack of ambition?

He's won everything there. He in fact pretty much won them the champions League.

He's scored plenty. He apparently speaks Spanish well enough for his team mates, bit doesn't do the publicity stuff, which he has never actually done.

He's injury prone sure, but he still been available for about 90 games over the past 2 years. He looks after himself quite well, and just gets on with it.

Zidane never wanted him, Perez did.

Madrid are an odious club, so to have someone milk them for all they can, I'm all for it. It's their own fault for offering such silly contracts.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

is_that_so wrote: »
    He was a forward and part of the RBB front line. Being the hero in the CL is no cover when you don't perform in La Liga. They've only won La Liga once since 2012 and that is a big deal for fans.

If they were winning la Liga and not the champions League that would be their excuse. Among the most miserable fans in the world. Stifled by an aging, wealthy and massively expectant fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

At the end of the day none of us or even the press know what his motives are for wanting to stay. Sure look at his wages estimates range from 350k a week to 600k, nobody has a clue. He could want to stay to fight for his place, he could want to stay because he's at one of the biggest clubs in the world, he could want to stay because he's on a **** tonne of money, or it could be a combination and endless other possibilities too the truth is nobody but Bale knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Bale has a better record as a player at Madrid than Zidane does too,statts and trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Started the 3rd final

He didn't start the third final, that was the one in Wales wasn't it? Isco was playing much better than him and deservedly started over him in his Bale's home stadium.

Bale has a better record as a player at Madrid than Zidane does too,statts and trophies.

Like comparing apples and oranges. One is the best MF I've seen in my life time, the other is a winger/forward.

Zidane is an all time great, we won't be comparing him to Bale ok ;)

I hope your not suggesting he's a better player???

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1153350808462864385?s=19

Baffling spending 50m on one of Europe's most meh players

Weepsie wrote: »
    If they were winning la Liga and not the champions League that would be their excuse. Among the most miserable fans in the world. Stifled by an aging, wealthy and massively expectant fanbase.
    Oh I've little time for them but it's always been their MO. A Real loss is to be celebrated loudly and I still enjoy riling them! Not sure that fanbase age profile is right but expectant and arrogant work!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

I can't see real getting rid of bale unless it's on a free. It's the same problem United have with Sanchez and at that most clubs won't match the 550k a week he's on . To be honest I have no sympathy for real Madrid at all . They are a scummy classless club that are too used to getting want they want treats their great players like scum when they want rid of them . United should offer Sanchez in a straight swap to see if real would bite

No shame from Barca, they have griezmann in his first club interview telling neymar to come join him. I hope psg absolutely rinse them if they want him so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Fekir to Betis is official, 20 million euros + 10 million in add ons. Yassin his brother will be loaned to Cádiz. Great signing I have to say, all we need now is Borja Iglesias to join and we'll have a great squad for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I take your point even if others have gone out of their way to miss it.

He has more European honours for Madrid than Zidane and more goals. It is notable to see how differently they are treated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Newcastle have signed a striker I've never heard of for £36 million.
    Newcastle United have signed striker Joelinton from German side Hoffenheim for a club-record £36m.

The 22-year-old Brazilian is Steve Bruce's first signing since he was named the club's new manager on Wednesday, replacing Rafael Benitez.

Joelinton scored 11 goals in 35 games for Hoffenheim last season, with seven of those coming in the Bundesliga.

He started his career at Brazilian side Sport Recife before moving to Germany in 2015.

Anyone know if he's any good? 11 in 35 isn't a bad return for a young player but £36 million... Sign of the market, I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He was very good against Man City in the CL.

He plays on the left a bit as well so not an out & out striker. Very powerful & likes to dribble. Very good work rate as well. I only saw him 3 times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Feels like there's some shenanigans going on in that deal... Rafa was offered him too, and said he didn't want him for that money, and wanted to spend it elsewhere, but the word was Joelinton or nothing. And now he's Bruce's first signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Joelinton looked great in the first half of the season, his performance dipped somewhat in the second half. I think he would have ideally had another season in the Bundesliga under his belt before making this move.

He has all the right attributes for the Premier League; he's strong and works hard. If you were looking for a Rondon replacement he fits the bill pretty well. What concerns me is he's going to a club with a cloud over its head and he'll need to hit the ground running right away. There will be added pressure with the price tag too. He may need time to find his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I hope he doesn’t mind his new Geordie name, “Joe Linton”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So far in the PL, Liverpool & Crystal Palace are the only 2 teams yet to spend any money or any senior players. Palace signed a reserve keeper on a free alright, and Liverpool have signed an underage defender.

Mad that that is possible, especially so close to the season starting and the fact that Chelsea have a transfer ban yet still were able to buy Kovacic.

A few inter-PL transfers such as Maguire & the eventual Crystal Palace RB replacement will change this table a good bit.

all figures below is net spend

Aston Villa £100m
    Leicester £77m
    Man City £71m
    Man Utd £65m
    Wolves £43m
    Spurs £38m
    Southampton £30m
    West Ham £29m
    Sheffield United £22m
    Brighton £22m
    Everton £17m
    Bournemouth £14m
    Newcastle £8m
    Burnley £6m
    Watford £5m
    Arsenal £3m
    Norwich £2m
    Liverpool -£20m
    Crystal Palace -£50m
    Chelsea -£67m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Bad start for de ligt with own goal against inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ERG89 wrote: »
    He's on £650,000 a week so paying that over the next year's that is £100m.

Jaysis I didnt know it was that much. He'll get £300m over the three years left on his contract or he could go back to a more physical league in England and earn maybe £125m over three years . Hes won lots of trophies so I wouldnt blame him for sitting on the bench for three years. If we're being honest we'd all do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Jaysis I didnt know it was that much. He'll get £300m over the three years left on his contract or he could go back to a more physical league in England and earn maybe £125m over three years . Hes won lots of trophies so I wouldnt blame him for sitting on the bench for three years. If we're being honest we'd all do it

Nah he has 3 years left at 33m a year so will get 100m or so

I will laugh my bollox off if la liga block that griezmann transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see Bologna signed Andreas Skov Olsen for €6m from Nordsjaelland. He looked very good for Denmark at the U-21 Euros a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

racso1975 wrote: »
    Bad start for de ligt with own goal against inter

Well, at least he didn't do a Woodgate and get sent off as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shame for Asensio to miss the whole season.

That might change Madrid's tactics now....perhaps holding on to player(s) they might have been getting rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the biggest transfers of the summer in England so far are all the journos getting offered double pay to leave their current posts and join The Athletic and it looks like a lot of them have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

NIMAN wrote: »
    Shame for Asensio to miss the whole season.

That might change Madrid's tactics now....perhaps holding on to player(s) they might have been getting rid of.

I think nothing has changed, zidane and bale's relationship will be hard to repair. I think zidane would still rather be rid even at the detramental of the team on thw pitch. Thats not to say bale staying there is detramental to the team off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lookman to red bull confirmed for around 22m

Everton serious bidders for Zaha prepared to go to 70m apparently. Spending alot over the last few windows, you wonder are they in line with ffp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

rob316 wrote: »
    Everton serious bidders for Zaha prepared to go to 70m apparently. Spending alot over the last few windows, you wonder are they in line with ffp.

Selling to buy this summer. Gueye and lookman will bring in 50m. Vlasic went for 14m too and they've only spent about 31m so far on Delph and gomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

rob316 wrote: »

They aren't in Europe anyway so it doesn't really matter if they would comply or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

correction wrote: »
    They aren't in Europe anyway so it doesn't really matter if they would comply or not.

FFP runs over the 3 previous seasons, so if they qualified for Europe next season, this one would affect their compliance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement