Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Don't most of the big money moves to China not last anywhere near the planned length of their contracts anyway?

Drogba - On 19 June 2012 - It was reported that he signed a two-and-a-half-year deal where he will earn £200,000 a week.
    On 28 January 2013, Drogba agreed to a one-and-a-half-year deal with Süper Lig team Galatasaray. (6 months total)

Tevez - On 29 December 2016, Tevez signed for Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua,[135] on a reported annual salary of $41 million, which would make him the world's highest-paid football player.
    On 5 January 2018, Boca Juniors announced on their social media that Tevez had rejoined the club (1 year total)

He could still move back to Spurs or somewhere similar in a years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

With regards bale people need to realise his bills ain't a couple of hundred a month, **** knows what he has invested in, what his liquid net worth is.

I'm in my job purely for money. If someone came along to me and said work for us for 3x your salary you're ****ing right I'd do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Three times the money for easier work too, easiest decision he could ever make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On the Chinese league, just where is the money coming from? Is there a Sky Sports over there selling millions of subs? Or is it just Chinese billionaires trying to outdo each other by throwing money down a black hole with no chance of a return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

klose wrote: »
    Three times the money for easier work too, easiest decision he could ever make.

As a last move of your career.. maybe, but if you have anything left in the tank as an elite level player you should be playing in Europe.

Mossy Keane no way is he italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What the hell is there to do in China? There'll be nothing on tv, there's noway he's learning the language, I bet he won't even be able to play fortnite. He'll be back in a Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

gimli2112 wrote: »
    What the hell is there to do in China? There'll be nothing on tv, there's noway he's learning the language, I bet he won't even be able to play fortnite. He'll be back in a Drogba.

An oul 4 in 1 is hard to bate every now and again tbf gim, might as well get it from the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

A real man of culture here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As long as there's golf he'll be grand. He's made it clear enough that that's the sport he does for fun anyway, and I'm sure they have plenty of very exclusive, very expensive courses out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    As long as there's golf he'll be grand. He's made it clear enough that that's the sport he does for fun anyway, and I'm sure they have plenty of very exclusive, very expensive courses out there.

Plenty of great golf for him in Beijing, he'll probably be the least wealthy of his fourball..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Muahahaha wrote: »
    On the Chinese league, just where is the money coming from? Is there a Sky Sports over there selling millions of subs? Or is it just Chinese billionaires trying to outdo each other by throwing money down a black hole with no chance of a return?

It's because Xi Jinping loves football and included it in some list a few years ago of important areas the country needs to improve.

All these companies are buying teams and importing players as an investment in their company. They want to be seen as a group who are backing the party and the president and doing all they can to help the country achieve their goals.

They're basically trying to buy the communist party's love, ironically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I'm sure there is plenty to do as a multi-millionare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Fair fcuks to Bale.

It makes me laugh seeing people pontificate about what him and what he should do, make a name for himself again, only driven by money, disappointing end to his career etc.

There is not a single person here working that if they were offered an obscene amount of money to take a job with a less "glamorous" company that they would refuse it. He has won arguably the biggest prize in world football on 4 separate occasions and was instrumental in a couple of those, he has nothing left to prove to anyone.

Why should Bale or any footballer / athlete for that matter be held to some kind of higher standard than everyone else on the planet.

Thankfully the world is not just full of such people - ther are actually many people who are not purely driven by monetary greed - Bale going to China and snubbing Europes biigger clubs for the tail end of his career , is a poor fooballl move , yes he will make more money doing so, but money that he really doesnt need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

thebaz wrote: »
    Thankfully the world is not just full of such people - ther are actually many people who are not purely driven by monetary greed - Bale going to China and snubbing Europes biigger clubs for the tail end of his career , is a poor fooballl move , yes he will make more money doing so, but money that he really doesnt need.

I mean, how much money do any of us need? It's sort of an arbitrary comment.

He's 30, injury prone, has won tonnes, lead his country through its best ever international period, and has an opportunity that will set up his family for generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

thebaz wrote: »

Not trying to be funny but why would it bother you as a poor football move and more to the point why should he or any other athlete care?

None of us know what it's like to be a pro athlete at even a semi professional level never mind the elite level he has been at for much of his career yet people can wax lyrical about him and his motivations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Muahahaha wrote: »

China is a strange place in many respects, but no stranger than the obscenely wealthy class that has developed over the last 30 years as they moved away from a centrally planned economy. The top 1% in the country now hold a third of all wealth.

The team that won seven league titles in a row there (Guangzhou) is owned by a company that focusses on selling apartments to the super rich in China and has become the world’s largest real estate company value wise in the process. So at root the money behind the whole thing is coming from the owners, mostly super rich and looking for things to spend money on.

To be a success long term it only needs to properly catch on in its own domestic market. It’s already topping a Billion dollars of revenue each year - the CL makes a little over double that, for reference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Reading all the Bale to China stuff makes me wonder... Why are we not seeing Ozil to china links? Arsenal would be happy to shift his wage and with Nicolas Pepe, Lacazette & Auba all expecting to start, he might not be playing every game. He is a luxury player and the clubs who would want him can't afford him. He could probably get a move if he was willing to take a paycut but he seems happy enough as is and Chinese clubs would be one of the only places where he could get the same if not better. He has retired from International football already too which would be a positive in terms of such a move.

If they could move him on and bring in a defender with the money saved as well as Tierney they could actually have a really strong summer, but talk of Ozil going anywhere has been quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liverpool seem to have signed some fella who looks like he's been squatting in an empty building.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1155387234641731584

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Not trying to be funny but why would it bother you as a poor football move and more to the point why should he or any other athlete care?

None of us know what it's like to be a pro athlete at even a semi professional level never mind the elite level he has been at for much of his career yet people can wax lyrical about him and his motivations?

I guess cause I have an opinion cause he is /was a top class footballer, in public domain , so I can have an opinion, same as if he joined a team in Iceland, hardly the most challenging football move - Personally I have little interest in the China league - Really top class players like Messi/Ronaldo who are older are still challenging them selves at the very top level , and they are older than Bale - thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Liverpool not improving their first 11 has has already dented their push for a title challenge. Strange summer from them, can't understand the logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RasTa wrote: »
    Liverpool not improving their first 11 has has already dented their push for a title challenge. Strange summer from them, can't understand the logic.

Not that easy to improve that first 11 unless you spend serious money on a top player. It's more quality depth in a couple positions they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How has Ferdinand been getting on as DOF at Man U?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RasTa wrote:
    Where do you improve that first eleven?
    You have Gomez, Lovren and Matip all contending for one spot at centre back which is the only position in defense that you could improve and in Gomez is as good as you'll get.
    You have Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, the Ox, Henderson, Milner and Chirivella for three midfield spots. You have Firmino and Origi for the centre forward role and lots of depth behind Mane and Salah too.
    So who do you bring in for the first eleven?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How has Ferdinand been getting on as DOF at Man U?

Are you getting a FIFA or FM save confused with reality?

You can do better than this its only pre-season but cmon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was talking to a friend who’s a Liverpool fan. He thinks it’s the squad (fixture list - extra games) and Copa/African players (fatigue) that could really hit Pool this year.

They are in a superb spot where they can be very choosy as to who they add to a very settled squad.

Been a funny transfer summer. Chelsea can’t sign players but still signed as more first team players then other teams!!!:pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    Where do you improve that first eleven?
    You have Gomez, Lovren and Matip all contending for one spot at centre back which is the only position in defense that you could improve and in Gomez is as good as you'll get.
    You have Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, the Ox, Henderson, Milner and Chirivella for three midfield spots. You have Firmino and Origi for the centre forward role and lots of depth behind Mane and Salah too.
    So who do you bring in for the first eleven?

Who is the depth you speak of? Never heard of Chirivella, wiki says he has been at the club since 2015 and played once in the PL.

That is not a title winning midfield partnership, again behind Mane and Salah nobody bar Shaquri

I'm not fussed but did think they would go on another £150m spree this year to push for the title.

Still think they will finish 2nd but not as close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Matip and Lovren aren't very good as we saw before VVD came in. Gomez is a fine centreback but has missed 565 days via 5 separate long term injuries since 2015 so can't be trusted to stay fit.

Henderson is 30 next summer, decent player but clearly there are better options out there than having him start most games.

Liverpool should have invested in a top class forward. Between burnout, lack of form or injuries Liverpool alternatives up front are a kid who has never played a second of premier league football and origi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Who is the depth you speak of? Never heard of Chirivella, wiki says he has been at the club since 2015 and played once in the PL.

That is not a title winning midfield partnership, again behind Mane and Salah nobody bar Shaquri

I'm not fussed but did think they would go on another £150m spree this year to push for the title.

Still think they will finish 2nd but not as close.

Liverpool dont have the money that the Manchester clubs have to spend that type of money every summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Everton have bid 55m for Zaha

I'd be surprised to see Zaha leave for a team without Champions League football.

Isn't that the reason he wants to leave Palace in the first place to play Champions League football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's a risky strategy from Liverpool alright but I'd imagine they'll be comfortably closest to City again this year. But City do need a center back, without Kompany they wouldn't have won the title last season so he needed replacing.

If Liverpool got Bruno Fernandes and City let that CB slip I think Liverpool will win it this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the Bale move is off.

He's staying at Madrid.

Mess of a club.
    I'd any perez stepped in and told ZZ he had to use Bale after that shocking defeat last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49144872

He might out last Zidane if Madrid get off to a bad start Zidane could be gone by Christmas.

Yeah, already predicted that.

Doesn't matter who you are at Madrid, or how many trophies you've won, if you spend £300mill+ you better play good football and be winning most games.

ZZ out by Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

NIMAN wrote: »
    So the Bale move is off.

He's staying at Madrid.

Mess of a club.
    I'd any perez stepped in and told ZZ he had to use Bale after that shocking defeat last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49144872

Jovic got injured in that game as well. After the other injuries during preseason maybe they feel they are short of players now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool dont have the money that the Manchester clubs have to spend that type of money every summer.

Liverpool have loads of money to spend , have they even got one signing of note? I think when you put Orgi as a backup your in trouble .The bench is the problem and will be there death of them again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liverpool have loads of money to spend , have they even got one signing of note? I think when you put Orgi as a backup your in trouble .The bench is the problem and will be there death of them again this season.

He didn't say they have no money to spend, he clearly said they don't have as much as the Manchester clubs which is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He didn't say they have no money to spend, he clearly said they don't have as much as the Manchester clubs which is true.

Yes but still have enough money to out spend most clubs. They could buy most players bar Mbappe or Neymar types.
    Liverpool not buying and strengthen their bench is going to back fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bale saga seems more complicated, according to Marca, with his family intervening. Zidane still apparently hasn't changed his view.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2019/07/28/5d3d9db7e2704e02208b4603.html

Funny how posters on here were saying it would set his family up for generations, yet it now looks like it's his family who are asking him not to go.

So even the family don't care about all this extra money.

I'd say this China move was agent driven. His family would be minted out of it.

I think if Bale stayed we will see Zidane upset and maybe he'll walk sooner rather than later.

I wonder what the beef is between the 2 of them? You'd think most managers would like to have a Gareth Bale in their squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RasTa wrote:
    Who in the midfield is not good enough? Fabinho is top notch, Wijnaldum does a job that not many can do at his level. The other spot should be Keita's.
    So who is the player you say is not up to it?

I'm assuming 2nd spot would be seen as a successful season for Liverpool this season?

If so, I think they can do it with the same squad. The top 2 are too good for everyone else in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They need to replace Sturridge imo. Granted he wasnt integral but he did get about 20 PL games last year even if most (all?) were off the bench. They need someone to be able to offer Firmino a rest for a few minutes. Milner I guess will be backup to Robertson in place of Moreno if required. Chamberlain is back to add depth to midfield again so only light a back up striker really.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who in the midfield is not good enough? Fabinho is top notch, Wijnaldum does a job that not many can do at his level. The other spot should be Keita's.
    So who is the player you say is not up to it?

The depth of the midfield and the whole squad like I said already.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

RasTa wrote:
    The depth of the midfield and the whole squad like I said already.

Depth of midfield??? Three places from:

Henderson
    Wijnaldum
    Milner
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Lallana
    Oxlade Chamberlain
    Shaqiri

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Depth of midfield??? Three places from:

Henderson
    Wijnaldum
    Milner
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Lallana
    Oxlade Chamberlain
    Shaqiri

Aren't good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Fabinho is first name in midfield, Keita is still in the category of hoping he will go to the next level.

The rest while all very good, no doubt about that, could be improved upon.

There's talk of looking for a no 10 but that could upset the balance.

It's a difficult situation because that team can only improve by about 5% max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Lofl at utd fans telling pool fans their team who got 97 points and won the biggest competition in club cup football worldwide last season,that the players they had during that spell aren't good enough.

Gtfo :)

Advertisement