Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lofl at utd fans telling pool fans their team who got 97 points and won the biggest competition in club cup football worldwide last season,that the players they had during that spell aren't good enough.

Gtfo :)

Let's be real though.
    Is lalana good enough? Hasn't been fit and hasn't been great when playing.
    For how much longer can Milner ignore the passing of time?
    I like Keita but again he's injury prone and has been a bit inconsistent.
    Oxlaide Chamberlain also susceptible to injury.
    While the guys are good enough, they're injury prone and the one that isn't has been playing regularly since 17.
    Very lucky last year with injuries, for the amount of games played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So how about those transfers eh .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lofl at utd fans telling pool fans their team who got 97 points and won the biggest competition in club cup football worldwide last season,that the players they had during that spell aren't good enough.

Laugh away and dunno why you feel to mention you won the CL every time. It's sad.

We finished 2nd 2 years ago. I also said that you should be strengthening to go for the title you really want and will finish second with the current squad.

Essentially doing a Spurs from last season as it stands.

However any excuse to mention the CL win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

God I love an auld bit of transfer news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Baggly wrote: »
    God I love an auld bit of transfer news.

Patrick Cutrone who plays for Milan looks set for Wolves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ERG89 wrote: »
    Patrick Cutrone who plays for Milan looks set for Wolves.

Leaving Milan to go to Wolves.

How football has changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NIMAN wrote: »

He probably wants European Football tbf :pac:

NIMAN wrote: »

Well he's not first choice for Milan as Piatek is there, who is a far better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Of course ,they were lucky with injuries ,very lucky which wont spill over to this season espically the way Klopp runs his players into the ground. How many minutes did Salah miss last season.
    Would you honestly be happy with those subs taking over for the front 3 for any length of time.
    Long may it continue but going to be a tough season for Liverpool .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool have loads of money to spend , have they even got one signing of note? I think when you put Orgi as a backup your in trouble .The bench is the problem and will be there death of them again this season.

I responded to a post saying why don't Liverpool spend 150 million again to push for the title. It was quite clear last year they made a big push and supplemented the spend by the sale of coutinho. Klopp has come out and stated that the renewal of all their top players contracts was the most important thing this time around. Liverpool dont have the money to spend on wages and transfers that the two manchester clubs have. Having said all that I'd be dissapointed if a player that could step in for any of the front 3 wasnt signed.

• Advertisement

Having said all that I'd be dissapointed if a player that could step in for any of the front 3 wasnt signed.

7CZA.gif

Just being realistic right now because imo they haven't bid for anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool have loads of money to spend , have they even got one signing of note? I think when you put Orgi as a backup your in trouble .The bench is the problem and will be there death of them again this season.

I responded to a post saying why don't Liverpool spend 150 million again to push for the title. It was quite clear last year they made a big push and supplemented the spend by the sale of coutinho. Klopp has come out and stated that the renewal of all their top players contracts was the most important thing this time around. Liverpool dont have the money to spend on wages and transfers that the two manchester clubs have. Having said all that I'd be dissapointed if a player that could step in for any of the front 3 wasnt signed.
    Liverpool must be using the Courtinho money for years now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alex telling Man U to sign John McGinn from Villa.

Welbeck who is a free agent want's a £100k a week from whatever team he signs for. I'm guessing that's why no team is in for him.

L’Equipe reporting that Klopp wanted to sign Ribery this summer but in the end didn't feel he would offer anything.

Scott Parker wants to sign his brother in law Harry Arter and expects Sessegnon to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

thebaz wrote: »
    I guess cause I have an opinion cause he is /was a top class footballer, in public domain , so I can have an opinion, same as if he joined a team in Iceland, hardly the most challenging football move - Personally I have little interest in the China league - Really top class players like Messi/Ronaldo who are older are still challenging them selves at the very top level , and they are older than Bale - thats it

He's not looking to leave to actively not be challenged, if he took that move it would be to maximise earning potential. Which is exactly what Messi and Ronaldo are both doing. As much as the wages they're on at their clubs are astronomical, those figures are even dwarfed by their endorsement deals, which are best served by staying in the limelight. They're in the perfect position where it makes financial sense for them to stay where they'd actually want to be. So the decision Bale faces isn't even an option.

the fairly obscene tax evasion issues both are guilty of puts paid to any sort of moral question about them putting love of the game over greed. They both soak up every single cent they can get. I mean, Ronaldo is an actual convicted criminal serving a suspended sentence right now for it.

I like both dudes in different ways, but they're definitely not the paragons to be holding up as shining examples. Someone like Daniele De Rossi is a better example, who actively earned significantly less money and got less acclaim in the game than he could have, to instead be a hometown hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

pjohnson wrote: »
    They need to replace Sturridge imo. Granted he wasnt integral but he did get about 20 PL games last year even if most (all?) were off the bench. They need someone to be able to offer Firmino a rest for a few minutes. Milner I guess will be backup to Robertson in place of Moreno if required. Chamberlain is back to add depth to midfield again so only light a back up striker really.

Brewster is highly thought of he'll probably take Sturridge role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Would love to see Kean in the PL. Looked a real prospect last year. Be shocked if the buyback isn't low for Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Everton bid 55m plus tosun and Mccarthy for zaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

If Everton get Zaha and Kean, a front four of those two, Sigurdsson and Richarlison would be excellent.

Everton should be capable of challenging the top six, or at least running it closer than they have in the last few seasons. Those four with Gomes, Coleman, Digne are the basis of a very good side. Losing Gueye and Zouma isn't ideal for them, but you'd have to say they look capable of creating chances and hurting teams, if these deals come off.

That said, if I was Palace, I'd sit tight. I know they have been linked with McCarthy but where does he fit in a midfield that already has Milivojevic, McArthur, Kouyate and Meyer; and Tosun is certainly not worth losing Zaha over.

That said, this is a Palace team that bought Jordan Ayew. And to make it worse, they'd already had him on loan and could see up close how bad he is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Everton bid 55m plus tosun and Mccarthy for zaha

Palace shouldn't go near that. McCarthy hasn't played in about 3 years and tosun is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bournemouth have signed Philip Billing for £15m from Huddersfield. I think he'll do well for Howe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

sugarman wrote: »
    Forget about the players being thrown in, they won't get anyone else offering near £55m for him.

Everton have now denied making the second bid. Sky sports sources getting shown up again.

If Zaha want's champions league football he has as much chance at getting that at Palace as he does Everton.

Everton is a complete sideways step for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

If Zaha want's champions league football he has as much chance at getting that at Palace as he does Everton.

Everton is a complete sideways step for him.

Don't let your red tinted glasses confuse you, Everton are a better team than Palace and and to say otherwise is just plain silly.
    BTW, I'm not a fan of either team.

Don't let your red tinted glasses confuse you, Everton are a better team than Palace and and to say otherwise is just plain silly.
    BTW, I'm not a fan of either team.

I never said they weren't a better team which is debatable in itself as only 4 points separated them last season.

Palace have as much chance at getting Champions League football as Everton is what I said which is true as Everton are getting nowhere near the top 4.

Zaha has stated he wants to play champions league football so moving to a team that won't get champions league football is a sideways step.

I never said they weren't a better team which is debatable in itself as only 4 points separated them last season.

Palace have as much chance at getting Champions League football as Everton is what I said which is true as Everton are getting nowhere near the top 4.

Zaha has stated he wants to play champions league football so moving to a team that won't get champions league football is a sideways step.

well the oddsmakers massively disagree with you on all of this

I never said they weren't a better team.

Palace have as much chance at getting Champions League football as Everton is what I said which is true as Everton are getting nowhere top 4.

Not true.

Due to Everton's higher finishes in recent years and their investment in the squad, statistically Everton do have a higher chance of Champions league football than Palace do.

And no I won't be working out what they are.

However PaddyPower has Everton at 13/1 and Palace at 100/1 for the top 4.

Just keeping things honest.

If Zaha has ambition he'll hold out for a bigger move, be it this window or another one. Everton won't be challenging for much imo.

• Advertisement

well the oddsmakers massively disagree with you on all of this

So oddsmakers say Everton are getting champions league football.

You better lump money on so.

So oddsmakers say Everton are getting champions league football.

You better lump money on so.

they are around 10 times more likely to then palace

Not true.

Due to Everton's higher finishes in recent years and their investment in the squad, statistically Everton do have a higher chance of Champions league football than Palace do.

And no I won't be working out what they are.

However PaddyPower has Everton at 13/1 and Palace at 100/1 for the top 4.

Just keeping things honest.

Ok you throw €100 on Everton at 13/1 and I'll throw €13 on Palace at 100/1 to get top 4 and there will only be one winner there.

Paddy Power as they both have the same chance at getting top 4 which is Nil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ye can drop the argument lads. Everton have put out a statement saying that there's been no bid of £55m and two players. They say there was a bid last weekend that Palace turned down and they've moved on.

Ok you throw €100 on Everton at 13/1 and I'll throw €13 on Palace at 100/1 to get top 4 and there will only be one winner there.

Paddy Power as they both have the same chance at getting top 4 which is Nil.

Once again, Not true.

Everton have a greater chance of top 4 and Champions League Football.
    Its plain and simple and even had the stats laid out for you.

Would I fancy either to get top 4, No.
    But do Everton have a better chance than Palace, Yes.

Your arguement was 'that Palace have as good a chance as Everton', not 'do we think either will'.

Anyhow, I'm off to bed and you can carry on trying to justify your comment.

Once again, Not true.

Would I fancy either to get top 4, No.
    But do Everton have a better chance than Palace, Yes.

Your arguement was 'that Palace have as good a chance as Everton', not 'do we think either will'.

Anyhow, I'm off to bed and you can carry on trying to justify your comment.

Keep keeping it real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Keep keeping it real.

Maybe Zaha pushes Everton to 6th? They're in the Europa League next year and take it seriously and win it they're in the champions League!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So moving on.........

Any real transfer new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Everton have spent close to same amount as Liverpool have since Klopp was appointed 375 million vs 385 million so in truth they should at least be challenging for top 4 given the huge investment made since 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm sure it happens all the time, but I never realised this was an option for clubs. Interesting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

adaminho wrote: »
    Maybe Zaha pushes Everton to 6th? They're in the Europa League next year and take it seriously and win it they're in the champions League!

Ah yeah, sure they’ll just win the Europa League. No biggie :pac: That hasn’t exactly worked out for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Wouldn't be surprised of stories about Pogba being done to Madrid today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Once again, Not true.

I suspect you will find that they have exactly the same chance of top 4 and CL football, which is also the same chance that 18 other clubs have.

The odds they will achieve it might differ depending on who you talk to, but right now the chance and opportunity for the two clubs are exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I suspect you will find that they have exactly the same chance of top 4 and CL football, which is also the same chance that 18 other clubs have.

The odds they will achieve it might differ depending on who you talk to, but right now the chance and opportunity for the two clubs are exactly the same.

Ah come on, you know exactly what he means when he says they have a better chance. Don't be so pedantic at this hour of the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Wouldn't be surprised of stories about Pogba being done to Madrid today.

Can't be true, who would Utd be left with as a midfield then? Matic, Fred, Pereira/Lingard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

hots wrote:
    Can't be true, who would Utd be left with as a midfield then? Matic, Fred, Pereira/Lingard?

Doubt its going to happen with Bale still on the books.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Idrissa Gueye from Everton to PSG confirmed. With him and Herrera in, it looks like Tuchel has control of the transfers this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Idrissa Gueye from Everton to PSG confirmed. With him and Herrera in, it looks like Tuchel has control of the transfers this summer.

With those two and Diallo, it almost looks like they are finally trying to address the glaring weaknesses in their side.

Not happy with that - I always enjoy the PSG group stage dominance in the CL and then the knockout collapse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I never knew that happened, interesting though and for small clubs getting a large windfall it makes huge sense. They have the cash to go out and invest straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't understand it myself. Arsenal must have the cash and even if they didn't surely one of the billionaire owners could give them a loan and save the club and earn themselves a few million.
    Of course this is probably why I'm stuck in an office and they're billionaires, well one of the reasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement