Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I don't understand it myself. Arsenal must have the cash and even if they didn't surely one of the billionaire owners could give them a loan and save the club and earn themselves a few million.
    Of course this is probably why I'm stuck in an office and they're billionaires, well one of the reasons.

It's very common in larger businesses. The seller wants the money now, the buyer wants to pay later. The seller sells the debtor to a finance company at a discount and the finance company then takes the staged payment. Everyone is happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

With those two and Diallo, it almost looks like they are finally trying to address the glaring weaknesses in their side.

Not happy with that - I always enjoy the PSG group stage dominance in the CL and then the knockout collapse!!

Its not that great of pairing still, Herrera is the most overrated United player by the fans in recent times. Both are 30 soon, not exactly long term options in MF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Some funny stuff in the thread regards Palace and Everton!

tenor.gif?itemid=12275183

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I don't understand it myself. Arsenal must have the cash and even if they didn't surely one of the billionaire owners could give them a loan and save the club and earn themselves a few million.
    Of course this is probably why I'm stuck in an office and they're billionaires, well one of the reasons.

They do have the cash, one of the healthiest cash balances around at approx €250 million in their last set of accounts. Technically they could just pay the lump sum but in reality, the cost to spread it out over 5 years using factoring is relatively small and most people/businesses will spread the cost over an extended period if possible.

A director could give them a loan, but they would be subject to income tax on the interest. So, it wouldn't make much sense. There may be other rules prohibiting such loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Mosie Keane to Everton
    That could be the end on Zaha's pursuit?

5star02707 wrote: »
    Mosie Keane to Everton
    That could be the end on Zaha's pursuit?

Definitely going to take a punt on him for FF now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rob316 wrote:
    Its not that great of pairing still, Herrera is the most overrated United player by the fans in recent times. Both are 30 soon, not exactly long term options in MF.
    Well I'm not a United fan and imo Herrera is a class act. Couldn't understand why he was as left out so much, maybe because he is a box to box type player and some coaches don't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Kean apparently done to Everton for 29m

eh i dunno wrote:
    Kean apparently done to Everton for 29m
    Kean is no better than Calvert-Lewin. In fact I think DCL is better than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

eagle eye wrote: »

Ya couldn't let me dream for 4 weeks could you? Even had him as my fantasy football triple captain. Say you told lads about santa when in junior infants

He's a far better player than DCL. It's not even close.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kean has huge potential, could be a very clever transfer by Everton

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nobody has seen enough of Kean to judge him that well yet. Played a few games at the U21 Euros & around a dozen games in Serie A.
    Could be a shrewd signing or another lad who has his head ruined by Raiola.

TitianGerm wrote:
    He's a far better player than DCL. It's not even close.
    What are you basing that off of?

ERG89 wrote: »
    Nobody has seen enough of Kean to judge him that well yet. Played a few games at the U21 Euros & around a dozen games in Serie A.
    Could be a shrewd signing or another lad who has his head ruined by Raiola.

He played 19 times for Verona the year before as well. Scored four times there.

He's a super talent and will do very well for Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

13 players in to QPR.
    Total tranfer cost £0

What are you basing that off of?

I've watched him more than DCL. Really good touch and super turn of pace and close control. Think he's out scored DCL as well at a younger age.

Broke through in a team stacked with attacking talent as well so shows how highly rated he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Calvert-Lewis is an excellent player , but his goal scoring ability at top level , is nowhere near whats needed - Everton badly need a goal scorer/striker - I think Calvert-Lewis future maybe out wide or midfielder , but certainly right now is no top level striker

thebaz wrote: »
    Calvert-Lewis is an excellent player , but his goal scoring ability at top level , is nowhere near whats needed - Everton badly need a goal scorer/striker - I think Calvert-Lewis future maybe out wide or midfielder , but certainly right now is no top level striker

If Kean plays through the middle for ye I'd be very surprised if he scores less than 15 goals in the league this season. He should link up very well with Digne, Sigurdson and Richarlison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

TitianGerm wrote:
    If Kean plays through the middle for ye I'd be very surprised if he scores less than 15 goals in the league this season. He should link up very well with Digne, Sigurdson and Richarlison.

Will be interesting if Everton take Zaha. A front 3 of Zaha, Richarlison and Keane is very interchangeable.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Will be interesting if Everton take Zaha. A front 3 of Zaha, Richarlison and Keane is very interchangeable.

I'd say it's more likely Zaha or Kean. Can't see them spending over £100m to get both in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Patrick Cutrone joins Wolves for £16m

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49169634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah - think Calvert-Lewin is perhaps a better all round player, but from everything i've seen of Kean (not tonnes, but still 6 or 7 matches), he looks a better striker. Especially how quickly he shifts from receiving the ball to finding space to shoot - there's no faffing about, everything he does seems to be geared towards having as little time as possible between his first touch, and a shot on goal. Gets the ball on target a lot too. Reminds me a little bit of Rooney when he was just starting out actually, just single minded and ruthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd say it's more likely Zaha or Kean. Can't see them spending over £100m to get both in.

Rumours were that it was both - apparently stalling on Zaha now - Evertons finances are weird , we're supposedly building a new stadium, but full funding not in place, and ther are many other clubs with wealthier owners than what we have in place.

Rumours were that it was both - apparently stalling on Zaha now - Evertons finances are weird , we're supposedly building a new stadium, but full funding not in place, and ther are many other clubs with wealthier owners than what we have in place.

You spent quite a bit on Richarlison last summer so that's why I was thinking you wouldn't get Kean and Zaha this summer and use the extra to pick up a CB instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

pablo128 wrote:
    Dirty bastards. I genuinely hope they are dealt with before the Gardai catch them.

TitianGerm wrote:
    You spent quite a bit on Richarlison last summer so that's why I was thinking you wouldn't get Kean and Zaha this summer and use the extra to pick up a CB instead.

Got decent money for Gueye, Vlasic and Lookman. Even with Kean, they're breaking even this summer so should still have money to spend.

titan18 wrote: »
    Got decent money for Gueye, Vlasic and Lookman. Even with Kean, they're breaking even this summer so should still have money to spend.

Where the hell did you quote Pablo from :pac:

United look to have Dybala in for Lukaku. Good swap for United but the only thing I'd question is if Dybala really wants this move?

If yes then he'll do super in that number 10 role, adding goals and assists, but if he's been told to take it or leave it, you get someone who doesn't really want to be there, ala Di Maria.

Definitely worth the risk I think.

Him coming in probably puts an end to the Fernandes rumours though. His best position is at number 10 as well.

Who would United fans rather? I think Dybala is the safer bet. Played with the bigger team, more CL experience and more good seasons in the top flight than Fernandes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Tom Heaton off to Villa for 8m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

United look to have Dybala in for Lukaku. Good swap for United but the only thing I'd question is if Dybala really wants this move?

If yes then he'll do super in that number 10 role, adding goals and assists, but if he's been told to take it or leave it, you get someone who doesn't really want to be there, ala Di Maria.

Him coming in probably puts an end to the Fernandes rumours though. His best position is at number 10 as well.

Who would United fans rather? I think Dybala is the safer bet. Played with the bigger team, more CL experience and more good seasons in the top flight than Fernandes.

Still don’t see this deal getting over the line. Too many variables....the main one being Ed Woodward

• Advertisement

Officer999 wrote: »
    Still don’t see this deal getting over the line. Too many variables....the main one being Ed Woodward

Apparently everything is agreed and it's down to Dybala now, who wants to speak to Sarri to confirm he's not in his plans before signing.

I'd say it'll be done before the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Not a United fan but.....something always lacking in Dybala when ive seen him in the CL.

The price is right i guess, so maybe its the better deal if its a swap; but Fernandes' stats from last season are something else.

They'd be better off getting a centre back than splurging on attack. The worst defence last season in the top 6.
    Someone to start with Lindelof and replace matic should be their priority. If they don't buy right they'll end up sacking ole and the next manager will end up with more players who don't fit his philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Who? United? They probably need both in fairness.

rob316 wrote: »
    They'd be better off getting a centre back than splurging on attack. The worst defence last season in the top 6.

I'd say Maguire will be in as well.

I do think their front line looks a lot better as

Lukaku
    Sanchez/Martial - Dybala - Rashford

Than

Rashford
    Sanchez/Martial - Dybala - Mata?

Edit: if they could keep Lukaku and get Dybala they'd be very well set up for the front 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And the worst attack of the top 6. Problems at both ends need to be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think most Utd fans agree with the need for a CB but Dybala/Fernandes and a RW are also required. We've a lot of rebuilding to be doing. AWB looks like a great signing from preseason so that's on problem position tackled but we definitely need a CB aswell. I dont see us not signing Maguire at this point :/

I'd say Maguire will be in as well.

I do think their front line looks a lot better as

Lukaku
    Sanchez/Martial - Dybala - Rashford

Than

Rashford
    Sanchez/Martial - Dybala - Mata?

Sanchez is is shot but neither of Martial or Rashford have looked good on the right. Dybala could and can play there. But there is a glaring hole still on the RW

There's a danger in trying to solve too much at once. A good centre back and defensive midfielder would give Pogba and the attack alot more freedom to move forward. Get back in the top 4 and go from there.

• Advertisement

There's a danger in trying to solve too much at once. A good centre back and defensive midfielder would give Pogba and the attack alot more freedom to move forward. Get back in the top 4 and go from there.

Id agree but Lukaku wants out so we do need some reinforcements up the pitch we aren't flush in resources. The concern is CB. The club won't sign a holding midfielder with Matic and McTominay at the moment. Matic has maybe one more good season in him, well hopefully anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Dybala plays on the right wing not as a 10

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Dybala plays on the right wing not as a 10

No he's played most often behind the striker, and that's where he's best.

If Ole continues with the 4-2-3-1 formation it's most likely he'll slot in in the middle of the 3. Pushed up closer to Rashford when in possession and dropping a bit deeper to offer an out ball from the defensive unit when not in possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Juve's business has been strange this summer. I know they need to get rid of players for FFP, so that might explain why Kean has gone, especially if there's a buy back included.

But swapping Dybala for Lukaku makes very little sense. I mean, for one, Lukaku and Ronaldo are both going to want to play through the centre so does one of them have to shift?

Selling Dybala for cash would have made more sense if it was an FFP decision too.

Looking at their squad, you'd imagine they'd have gotten decent money and freed up wages if they dropped Mandzukic, Higuain and Cuadrado, as well as shifting one or two of the centre mids. Adding Ramsey and Rabiot on big wages to Can, Pjanic, Khedira, Matuidi and Bentancur doesn't make any bloody sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Selling Dybala for cash would have made more sense if it was an FFP decision too.

Looking at their squad, you'd imagine they'd have gotten decent money and freed up wages if they dropped Mandzukic, Higuain and Cuadrado, as well as shifting one or two of the centre mids. Adding Ramsey and Rabiot on big wages to Can, Pjanic, Khedira, Matuidi and Bentancur doesn't make any bloody sense...

They’re getting rid of Khedira and there are rumours about Matuidi leaving as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

No he's played most often behind the striker, and that's where he's best.

If Ole continues with the 4-2-3-1 formation it's most likely he'll slot in in the middle of the 3. Pushed up closer to Rashford when in possession and dropping a bit deeper to offer an out ball from the defensive unit when not in possession.
    Ok

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ok

And? Right footed player drifting to the right during the game into areas of space.

A right winger would be closer to the touch line with his higher volume of touches.

He plays/starts the games in the second striker role most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

And? Right footed player drifting to the right during the game into areas of space.

He plays/starts the games in the second striker role most of the time.

He is left footed.

He is left footed.

What :eek: I always thought he was right footed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Would be a good deal for United if Dybala gets back his form as he has struggled since Ronaldo showed up. Having Lukaku and Higuain together at Juve tho.....yeesh, if they ain't playing they could both pile on the weight. As backups or partners for Ronaldo it's quite the departure. Only Mandzukic linked up well with him.
    It's funny like Real & Barcelona that Juve have struggled to get rid of players they clearly don't want anymore so it has effected their transfer business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ERG89 wrote: »
    Would be a good deal for United if Dybala gets back his form as he has struggled since Ronaldo showed up. Having Lukaku and Higuain together at Juve tho.....yeesh, if they ain't playing they could both pile on the weight. As backups or partners for Ronaldo it's quite the departure. Only Mandzukic linked up well with him.
    It's funny like Real & Barcelona that Juve have struggled to get rid of players they clearly don't want anymore so it has effected their transfer business.

that's a real feature for me of this transfer window. Liverpool are cleverly avoiding this by not signing anyone.
    When you think of the wages involved with the likes of Bale, Coutinho (and the seven other players Barce don't want), Dybala etc it's a staggering waste of funds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement