Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hopefully Rodgers now wants to replace him with Lovren, Lallana and Clyne for £80m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Stone saying £80m so the difference is probably the add ons.

Yeah, everyone is now going with £80m, even Sky Sports, so that's probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Van Der Beek is gone to Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rob316 wrote: »
    85m plus addons for Harry Maguire ****ing hell. Transfer fees have officially gone past the point of no return.

Yeah, maybe read it again. Or come back with more incorrect information. Like normal. I actually agree with the sentiment though.

How much could they have gotten him for last summer when Jose wanted to sign him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1157287236053929984?s=19

Amazing to make a profit on a lad I keep forgetting exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Hopefully Rodgers now wants to replace him with Lovren, Lallana and Clyne for £80m.

Don’t worry. Eddie Howe will pay close to 80 million for lovren alone

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/footballespana_/status/1157287236053929984?s=19

Amazing to make a profit on a lad I keep forgetting exists.

Apparently they have an offer on Couthino as well. Loan with obligation to buy from England.

https://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/barca-are-looking-to-speed-up-the-sale-of-philippe-coutinho-7579202

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tbh If I was a Utd fan this would be one of those situations where I would not care too much about the fee. Wan Bisaka & Maguire do greatly improve Utds defense. Pogba does not seem to be going anywhere and if they get him Dybala may suit Ole's planned style of play more than Lukaku so this could be considered a good window for them imo (plus Dan James as a good squad player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I suppose it wont be long until "reports" start saying Maguire will earn 10,000 a minute over a 5 year deal with a 2m goal bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

135m on Wan Bissaka & Harry Maguire.

Good players but that is insane.

MD1990 wrote: »

18 months ago people were saying that £75m for VVD was insane. If they have a similar impact at Utd, they'll be worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I’m 51 - i think we will see the first £1bn transfer before i pop my clogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the money in the PL means it's largely meaningless, other than giving fans a chance to give each other some stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

18 months ago people were saying that £75m for VVD was insane. If they have a similar impact at Utd, they'll be worth every penny.

They'll lead Man Utd to a CL trophy? I doubt it.

Wan Bissaka the better signing.

CB's better than Maguire.

VVD
    Laporte
    Gomez
    Matip
    Alderweireld
    Vertonghen

Zouma & Rudiger similar level to Maguire also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

VVD
    Laporte
    Gomez
    Matip
    Alderweireld
    Vertonghen

Realistically none of the above would sign for United though so you go for what you can get.

VVD
    Laporte
    Gomez
    Matip
    Alderweireld
    Vertonghen

No, and that's not what VVD did either. He (and Allison) changed Liverpools defence. It meant that the efforts of the players further up the field were no longer wasted by piss the poor defending.

Of course you knew that, but you just wanted to get a dig in at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

VVD
    Laporte
    Gomez
    Matip
    Alderweireld
    Vertonghen

Gomez and Matip are not better than Maguire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gomez and Matip are not better than Maguire.

I'm just amazed Lovren wasn't included in that list tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bissaka is the more exciting of the two imo.
    He looks like he has the attitude, brain and skill set to be world class.

Mental money for Maguire. Wouldnt have been my choice as a Utd fan but obviously hope he does great for us.

It just highlights the shambolic running of the club. Jose somehow managed to drag this collection of (boardering on) chancers to second in the league and then asked for Maguire to be signed, only to be vetoed by Woodward. Here we are 12 months later paying £80 million!

Utd will never return to the top table with him there and the Glazers as owners.

its actually laughable how badly the club is run, despite 100s of millions being spent on the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Gomez and Matip hahahaha. Unbelievable.

Yup. Having a dig at Utd, and there's the proof ^^^^^^

I believe the word is obsessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well they did win a title with him at CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

pjohnson wrote: »

The Ox has surely learned how to play CB as well during his lengthy injury spells where he seems to constantly improve as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liam O wrote: »
    Gomez and Matip hahahaha. Unbelievable.

Yeah proper crap those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

RasTa wrote: »
    Well they did win a title with him at CB

He joined after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Someone please put up footage of the time Rashford skinned the best right-back of all time TAA a couple of years ago for some balance

In fairness, it wasn't like VVD led Liverpool to an immediate CL title. Took a season and a half.

While its unrealistic that United will be title winners immediately, its definitely an improvement and in another year's time they could well have the team sorted to the level they should be.

He joined after

Waste of money!!!

Yup. Having a dig at Utd, and there's the proof ^^^^^^

I believe the word is obsessed.

He is so obsessed he has posted it twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Was a nice thread until the United/Liverpool Thundercünt shïte started up in earnest again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

SM01 wrote: »
    Was a nice thread until the United/Liverpool Thundercünt shïte started up in earnest again.

I think you'll find that there was plenty of Liverpool / City dick measuring about transfer fees before the Maguire news broke. I'm not sure how you found that 'nice'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great business by Leicester, ripped their face off. Unbelievable fee for a player who wouldn’t be in the top 10 in his position in Europe. Maybe he’ll improve significantly, we’ll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

pjohnson wrote: »

Fabinho too. He played there once or twice for Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

SM01 wrote: »

I think you'll find that there was plenty of Liverpool / City dick measuring about transfer fees before the Maguire news broke. I'm not sure how you found that 'nice'.

The thread is longer than a day long and that City/Liverpool conversation was started by a United supporter so back yourself up there Cookiemunster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Gomez is a great player if he stays fit. On the ground a better player than Maguire, in the air no and nowhere near the goal threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

sugarman wrote: »
    He'd just about make a PL top 10! Hes a good player and he very might well go onto be a great player for United, but as it stands hes your bog average mid table defender that are 10 a penny. With VVD at least the performances and greater potential was evident on the pitch with Southampton and the Netherlands prior to his Liverpool move . I dont see the same with Maguire, he'll probably be another Stones.

Interestingly from purely a stats perspective, he doesnt even feature on the top PL 20 lists for most tackles, blocks, clearances or headed clearances.

Yeah, I never understood why he was coveted by Jose last summer. It just seems like a strange transfer overall, but fair play to him and Leicester for maximising their money.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Great business by Leicester, ripped their face off. Unbelievable fee for a player who wouldn’t be in the top 10 in his position in Europe. Maybe he’ll improve significantly, we’ll see.

Took Utd to the cleaners. Is he much of an improvement on what they currently have? Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, I never understood why he was coveted by Jose last summer. It just seems like a strange transfer overall, but fair play to him and Leicester for maximising their money.

because he's a front foot defender, can dribble a bit, and is a good front post defender. all top teams want those types because the new wave of managers play a certain brand of football.

it's just that he turns like an ocean liner any time I watch him. but if that gets better, or can be covered by whoever his partner is, then he could be fine for Utd.

Will Slap Head be as Memeable and Gif-able as Jones that's real question.

6 wrote: »
    Took Utd to the cleaners. Is he much of an improvement on what they currently have? Time will tell I suppose.

The only thing he's worse at than Phil Jones is making funny faces.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The only thing he's worse at than Phil Jones is making funny faces.

Jones was ok once upon a time. Was very highly rated when breaking through. Went downhill over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The only worry you'd have about him is his lack of pace, fine in a side like Leicester who defend deep but for United pushing high up the pitch he could struggle. The top defenders like Koulibally and VVD have alot of recovery pace.

He's a good lad though, strong, more technical than he's given credit for, excels in set pieces and crucially for United he looks a leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

6 wrote: »

He is. Comfortably.

Look, it's a high fee and that makes it easy for certain posters here to poke fun at.

But you were going to do that anyway.

Didn't sign anyone? "No ambition, Ole is clueless if he thinks Smalling, Jones, Rojo or Bailly are good enough. What a shambles."

Signed Alderweireld? "Another mercenary on the wrong side of 30 looking for one last big payday. They haven't learned anything. What a shambles."

Fork out £120m for Koulibaly? "This is the same lad Salah ghosted past last year. Can't wait to see him do it again. What a shambles."

Try purchase younger, lesser-known prospects to develop? "None of the world's elite want to join them anymore. They can only throw money at kids. A spent force. What a shambles."

They'd have found a way to get their point across regardless of the outcome. At least in this scenario, United fans can be happy that tonight their starting XI is a fair bit better than it was this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

sugarman wrote: »
    He'd just about make a PL top 10! Hes a good player and he very might well go onto be a great player for United, but as it stands hes your bog average mid table defender that are 10 a penny. With VVD at least the performances and greater potential was evident on the pitch with Southampton and the Netherlands prior to his Liverpool move . I dont see the same with Maguire, he'll probably be another Stones.

Interestingly from purely a stats perspective, he doesnt even feature on the top PL 20 lists for most tackles, blocks, clearances or headed clearances.

I don't rate him highly at all.

Only 1 cb appears in top 20 for tackles last season. Boly

Clearances isn't a stat you want your defenders appearing too highly in imo as per opta definition a Clearance is
    This is a defensive action where a player kicks the ball away from his own goal with no intended recipien

He did win a greater % of his aerial duels than Van Djik last season. Van Djik contested more and won more Maguires % were better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What's this?

Actual transfer news.

https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1157308794780753920?s=19

He's still only 20 so €3m ain't a big risk.

Advertisement