Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Leicester will get 5 times the original fee they paid Hull for him and United will get a player who will immediately improve them and should be a first team player for the next 7 years.
    Win win for both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's a good buy for United.

Crazy money but who cares, he's a good defender in a counter attacking team which is how I think OGS will set them up next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

85 mill for a player only slightly better than smalling and Jones is ultra ridiculous no matter how you want to butter it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

85 mill for a player only slightly better than smalling and Jones is ultra ridiculous no matter how you want to butter it up.

that's not true though.

Smalling is almost scared to receive a pass if he might have to be progressive with it, and Jones is a meme.

he is a marked improvement on those 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There’s not many defenders in the league who are better then maguire in central Defence . I think it’s a great signing.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    that's not true though.

Smalling is almost scared to receive a pass if he might have to be progressive with it, and Jones is a meme.

he is a marked improvement on those 2.

He's slower than both too,we shall just disagree

He is. Comfortably.

Look, it's a high fee and that makes it easy for certain posters here to poke fun at.

But you were going to do that anyway.

Didn't sign anyone? "No ambition, Ole is clueless if he thinks Smalling, Jones, Rojo or Bailly are good enough. What a shambles."

Signed Alderweireld? "Another mercenary on the wrong side of 30 looking for one last big payday. They haven't learned anything. What a shambles."

Fork out £120m for Koulibaly? "This is the same lad Salah ghosted past last year. Can't wait to see him do it again. What a shambles."

Try purchase younger, lesser-known prospects to develop? "None of the world's elite want to join them anymore. They can only throw money at kids. A spent force. What a shambles."

They'd have found a way to get their point across regardless of the outcome. At least in this scenario, United fans can be happy that tonight their starting XI is a fair bit better than it was this morning.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Drumpot wrote: »
    There’s not many defenders in the league who are better then maguire in central Defence . I think it’s a great signing.

True, however I don’t think the majority of the centre backs in the premier league are much to shout about. Compared to the ones that were in the league 10-15 years ago.

He is. Comfortably.

Look, it's a high fee and that makes it easy for certain posters here to poke fun at.

But you were going to do that anyway.

Didn't sign anyone? "No ambition, Ole is clueless if he thinks Smalling, Jones, Rojo or Bailly are good enough. What a shambles."

Signed Alderweireld? "Another mercenary on the wrong side of 30 looking for one last big payday. They haven't learned anything. What a shambles."

Fork out £120m for Koulibaly? "This is the same lad Salah ghosted past last year. Can't wait to see him do it again. What a shambles."

Try purchase younger, lesser-known prospects to develop? "None of the world's elite want to join them anymore. They can only throw money at kids. A spent force. What a shambles."

They'd have found a way to get their point across regardless of the outcome. At least in this scenario, United fans can be happy that tonight their starting XI is a fair bit better than it was this morning.

Great post and it’s essentially the feeling I had when Arsenal signed Pépé yesterday. Certain rival posters/fans are going to be critical and laugh at the business no matter what the club does.

Great post and it’s essentially the feeling I had when Arsenal signed Pépé yesterday. Certain rival posters/fans are going to be critical and laugh at the business no matter what the club does.

Doubt you will see anyone critical of the Pepe signing or fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Absolutely. Like Arsenal fans do to Spurs and Utd fans do to Liverpool constantly as well. Could have swapped out any of those points for what some Utd fans were saying about Liverpool signings last year. People can still have opinions too though, up to people if they want to take every criticism as all involved in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some jealousy out of the Liverpool lads since they haven't signed anyone. Imagine Aston Villa outspending ye.

Are they bottom of the summer spend list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

True, however I don’t think the majority of the centre backs in the premier league are much to shout about. Compared to the ones that were in the league 10-15 years ago.

Most of those not really available to sign now though in fairness.

source.gif

source.gif

My point was, by you saying that there weren’t many premier league defenders better than Maguire in the league, isn’t really saying much. There are far better defenders abroad and probably wouldn’t cost as much. Maguire imo isn’t going to be a game changer for Utd, which you would expect for someone costing £80m. He will probably improve them a bit, but not substantially imo.

I also thought the same when Liverpool signed Van Dijk and I was obviously wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

RasTa wrote: »
    Some jealousy out of the Liverpool lads since they haven't signed anyone. Imagine Aston Villa outspending ye.

Are they bottom of the summer spend list?

I'm sure they're crying away into their "6 times" scarf. Poor Liverpool fans :(

While I don't think it's a good idea to stand still and not sign anyone, it's tough to improve what Liverpool have with what's available and the type of player Klopp wants.

Anyway, back to Maguire. Far better than what he's replacing. It is mad money but sure what does it really matter to anyone here!? They needed a better CB and they got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

My point was, by you saying that there weren’t many premier league defenders better than Maguire in the league, isn’t really saying much. There are far better defenders abroad and probably wouldn’t cost as much. Maguire imo isn’t going to be a game changer for Utd, which you would expect for someone costing £80m. He will probably improve them a bit, but not substantially imo.

I also thought the same when Liverpool signed Van Dijk and I was obviously wrong there.

Apart from laporte and maybe Luiz there hasn't been any quality centre backs brought in really, otamendi and mustafi are 2 expensive imports that could hardly be argued to improve that utd defense

You mentioned EPL players 15 years ago that’s what I responded to. Now you are expanding your point to something I never said. But In response to your point Im not aware of any top central defenders with EPL experience who we know for sure could bring that quality to the league.

Who said he was a game changer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Great post and it’s essentially the feeling I had when Arsenal signed P yesterday. Certain rival posters/fans are going to be critical and laugh at the business no matter what the club does.

Exactly https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105664015&postcount=2289

You mentioned EPL players 15 years ago that’s what I responded to. Now you are expanding your point to something I never said. But In response to your point Im not aware of any top central defenders with EPL experience who we know for sure could bring that quality to the league.

Who said he was a game changer?

Yeah fair enough. The EPL players 15 years ago comment was irrelevant. I didn’t say anybody in particular was calling him a game changer, was just expanding my point and going off on a tangent. Wasn’t just talking to you in particular. I’ll remember that the next time I quote one of your posts.
    rossie1977 wrote: »

Yep, mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that I was wrong about Van Dijk and that post came back to haunt me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Gbamin to Everton confirmed for 27m. 6 years younger than gueye for roughly the same money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Gbamin to Everton confirmed for 27m. 6 years younger than gueye for roughly the same money

I had to look him up. Was full sure that was a typo

Yeah fair enough. The EPL players 15 years ago comment was irrelevant. I didn’t say anybody in particular was calling him a game changer, was just expanding my point and going off on a tangent. Wasn’t just talking to you in particular. I’ll remember that the next time I quote one of your posts.

Yep, mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that I was wrong about Van Dijk and that post came back to haunt me.

Fair enough, I can be a bit pedantic like that, it’s normally just my fellow united fans that suffer my methods of engagement !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCCSSTes8L_nwTLo7QpvIxGEk1FVB4nbAGvdsSwwEuT3SQtRTkmA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Willems and Saint-Maximin join Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

pjohnson wrote: »
    Willems and Saint-Maximin join Newcastle.

Mwximin is a decent signing at that price He is young but Highley rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Saint-Maximin will excite and frustrate in equal measure. Still very raw but is still young, worth the punt. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

I think the Maguire fee is bonkers, I really don’t think he’s all that good either. A decent centre half but I don’t think he’s much more than that. We will see.

Johner wrote: »
    Saint-Maximin will excite and frustrate in equal measure. Still very raw but is still young, worth the punt. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Sounds like Nani version 2
    I think the Maguire fee is bonkers, I really don’t think he’s all that good either. A decent centre half but I don’t think he’s much more than that. We will see.

What do you make of the BBC opta stats that suggest he’s comparable with Europe’s best?

8-B0-B8-D1-C-027-D-4-B46-B1-AB-558607648114.png

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49208153

I know stats can be used to mask deficiencies and other negative traits but that’s a pretty impressive graph. He’s not renowned for losing form, under performing or getting injured and he’s proven a solid Central defender in the EPL. He’s a hard working player who gets on with his job with little fuss.

The fee is not relevant. United needed a first team central defender to improve their team and they got one from a team who didn’t want to sell. It’s adorable how concerned so many rival fans are with how much they spent. I’m sure the club will be fine so you don’t need to send any flowers of sympathy just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say Dunk and Duffy's stats compare well to those ones used above to Maguire's I would mind seeing him compared to those players with those same stats.

I'd say Dunk and Duffy's stats compare well to those ones used above to Maguire's I would mind seeing him compared to those players with those same stats.

Agreed, I’d be interested to see those lads aswell. But he’s still impressive alongside VVD who is prob considered the worlds strongest CB the last season or so. What do you think is the reason that so many under rate Maguire? (Myself included). Is it that he’s not spectacular looking?

There are some players I find this with where I don’t think much of them and then stats like this or seeing them play for my team change my thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Agreed, I’d be interested to see those lads aswell. But he’s still impressive alongside VVD who is prob considered the worlds strongest CB the last season or so.

Maguire lacks the pace that VVD, Laporte etc have though so if someone goes past him he won't be catching them. This wasn't really a problem for Leicester as they defended deeper whereas he'll be push up at United leaving more space in behind. The good thing is AWB and Lindelof are quick so they should offer cover.

Agreed, I’d be interested to see those lads aswell. But he’s still impressive alongside VVD who is prob considered the worlds strongest CB the last season or so. What do you think is the reason that so many under rate Maguire? (Myself included). Is it that he’s not spectacular looking?

The reason he is close to the players listed above is the team he was playing for would have been under a lot more defensive pressure compared to the others.

It’s the same reason keepers at lower teams always have great stats it’s because they have more work to do compared to the top class keepers.

I don't think anyone under rates Maguire. I think everyone knows he is a solid defender the price is what is doing him know favours.

Yes Liverpool broke a world record for VVD but everyone could see he would be a game changer for Liverpool.

Will Maguire be a game changer for Man U?

The reason he is close to the players listed above is the team he was playing for would have been under a lot more defensive pressure compared to the others.

It’s the same reason keepers at lower teams always have great stats it’s because they have more work to do compared to the top class keepers.

So what’s a fair way of weighing up how good he is? You could Argue VDs stats may be equally padded because of Southampton and improved by playing with a rampant Liverpool team.

I’m sure some people will find a way to discredit anything that makes maguire look better then some in here rate him, but I don’t see an awful lot of objective analysis of why he isn’t a top central defender in the world other then “he’s not worth it”. Being slow is one deficiency. I’m sure united have factored this in when signing him so what else is maguire poor at in comparison to his peers?

I don't think anyone under rates Maguire. I think everyone knows he is a solid defender the price is what is doing him know favours.

Yes Liverpool broke a world record for VVD but everyone could see he would be a game changer for Liverpool.

Will Maguire be a game changer for Man U?

The price isn’t a problem to United. Why exactly is it not doing him any favors? Genuine question as it’s mostly rival fans who appear to be irked by the price.

I’m not sure who thinks or said he will be a game changer , but why is that even relevant? He will improve our defence and increase our chances of top 4. United can afford this sort of investment so what’s with the game changer comments? I think he could give the squad a huge boost and be a positive influence on the dressingroom.

United are not in a position to challange for the league or champions league. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t keep trying to build up their team.

As a united fan I’m happier they spend 80 mil on a defender that seems to irk rival fans , as opposed to half that on a player who has potential! The fact it’s making waves with other teams usually means it’s a good thing for united.

So your happy for your club to sign players that irk rivail fans ok.

I'd rather my club sign players that are winner ;)

I'll tell you what I think will be a good way to view Maguire at Man U for me.

When he has to give Pogba a bollixing for not tracking back or covering and how Pogba reacts to that will it undermine Maguire or inspire him.

Maybe he will be the kick in the ass Pogba needs of course this if Pogba is still there.

Man U now have a solid back 5 the midfield is ok as is the front line however the elephant still in the room at Man U is Pogba.

So your happy for your club to sign players that irk rivail fans ok.

I'd rather my club sign players that are winner ;)

I'll tell you what I think will be a good way to view Maguire at Man U for me.

When he has to give Pogba a bollixing for not tracking back or covering and how Pogba reacts to that will it undermine Maguire or inspire him.

Maybe he will be the kick in the ass Pogba needs of course this if Pogba is still there.

Man U now have a solid back 5 the midfield is ok as is the front line however the elephant still in the room at Man U is Pogba.

No, I’m very happy with maguire, like I said I think he will be great in the dressingroom. I didn’t say I’m happy when they sign players to irk rivals but Usually when Liverpool fans in particular are animated about some player or manager from united they are doing something good for united! ;)

Since I don’t generally get involved in rivalry “bantz”, I find it hard to see the “price” as being anything other the net spend stuff that’s just point scoring in petty squabbles. There is no discussion on maguires qualitys, only that he’s over priced which is none of non United’s fans concern. Any money the club spends on players is money not going to the glazers , so I’m ok with them spending 80 mil on a player who might not be worth that much once I think it will really strengthen and improve our first team.

United’s target, for me, is to start offloading the fat or players who don’t want to be there and to start padding the squad with more players , like maguire, who will at least put in a shift for the badge. We have an unproven , inexperienced manager and is hope the club actually has a plan (not overly confident on that) or a cohesive strategy.

• Advertisement

Liverpool fans like all rival fans aren't "irked" at the signing of Maguire they are bemused at the price Man U paid for a a below top tier center back.

Man U fans seem want to create this "irked" word to feel better about the signing or more so the price of the signing as everyone agrees he is a very solid CB but a world record signing for CB they could have signed better.

Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea would not have paid that kind of money for Maguire.

Arsenal actually could have done with Maguire more than Pepe I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maguire is English so you'd get a fairer assessment of him in any other country than you will in Ireland. That and the stupid attempts at one-upmanship between the supporters of a handful of clubs is why you'll never get many giving a fair assessment of the player on this site.
    Personally as one who doesn't care where a player comes from and doesn't support a big six club I think Maguire is classy. I think VVD is better but I think he'll really help United's defense improve.

Liverpool fans like all rival fans aren't "irked" at the signing of Maguire they are bemused at the price Man U paid for a a below top tier center back.

Man U fans seem want to create this "irked" word to feel better about the signing or more so the price of the signing as everyone agrees he is a very solid CB but a world record signing for CB they could have signed better.

Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea would not have paid that kind of money for Maguire.

You’ve not actually given any real reason why maguire is so over valued. Im not convinced your intentions are completely honorable in this discussion....

You’ve not actually given any real reason why maguire is so over valued. Im not convinced your intentions are completely honorable in this discussion....

And whatever answers I give I am just an irk'ed Liverpool fan to you so we are just better off leaving it.

The Liverpool/Man U dragging down the threads post are already appearing.

And whatever answers I give I am just an irk'ed Liverpool fan to you so we are just better off leaving it.

What answers? You haven’t given any real reasons why maguire isn’t worth what united paid, just that you don’t think he’s worth it... I guess that will have to be enough.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maguire is a player United needed, they paid the price needed to fix a problem that has existed for too long now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He is a leader and can organize a defence
    He is a much needed threat from set pieces
    He keeps Jones and Smalling out of the team

For the last point alone he is worth the fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The Liverpool/Man U dragging down the threads post are already appearing.

So maybe stop then?

Will Slap Head be as Memeable and Gif-able as Jones that's real question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Seeimly liverpool are looking a some guinea forward from Bordeaux for 15m +5m in add oms. From the sun though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

cjmc wrote: »
    Seeimly liverpool are looking a some guinea forward from Bordeaux for 15m +5m in add oms. From the sun though.

Very informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You are bemused by the fee the way the market has been and the circumstances of the transfer?

I don’t believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think Maguire has a certain presence at the back that United haven't really had for years. Thinking purely in terms of what he can add to United I think he'll prove to be a very good signing.

They've been Rodgered but what top tier club hasn't been as the market continues to inflate. It's easy to say in hindsight that VVD was a bargain but I'd be dubious if any fellow Pool fan didn't say they were nervous about the price at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Maguire is a 50/50 signing imo.

He has looked good at Leicester, obvious strengths as being comfortable on the ball and a towering presence from set pieces, being very slow is his major weakness.

What will decide him succeeding or failing is his bottle, has he got the bottle to go to Man Utd and perform week in and week out when the level of scrutiny on him will be off the charts, many a defender will crumble in that situation, let's see if he can take it in his stride and flourish, I'd be leaning towards it being a failure at the moment tbh. Time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

He has looked good at Leicester, obvious strengths as being comfortable on the ball and a towering presence from set pieces, being very slow is his major weakness.

What will decide him succeeding or failing is his bottle, has he got the bottle to go to Man Utd and perform week in and week out when the level of scrutiny on him will be off the charts, many a defender will crumble in that situation, let's see if he can take it in his stride and flourish, I'd be leaning towards it being a failure at the moment tbh. Time will tell I guess.

England's No. 1 centre half...
    Consistent performer the last 2 years...

But sure ya.. you make lots of sense..:rolleyes:

Part of The problem with united , as I see it is that it’s hard to know if players are unable to meet expectations for different reasons. Is it because of the pressure or maybe when they arrive they are disappointed with the level of the team. Or maybe they just get sucked down to the level the team is playing at any given time. Even the usually reliable DDG was dragged down last season.

Oddly enough I’m not concerned about maguire as I think his character and temperament will make him a good signing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement