Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Drumpot wrote: »
    Part of The problem with united , as I see it is that it’s hard to know if players are unable to meet expectations for different reasons. Is it because of the pressure or maybe when they arrive they are disappointed with the level of the team. Or maybe they just get sucked down to the level the team is playing at any given time. Even the usually reliable DDG was dragged down last season.

Oddly enough I’m not concerned about maguire as I think his character and temperament will make him a good signing.

You have 6 CBs on the books now. Who's most likely to move on? Bailey injured so he'll stay and Jones and Smalling only got new contracts recently. Rojo to go then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You have 6 CBs on the books now. Who's most likely to move on? Bailey injured so he'll stay and Jones and Smalling only got new contracts recently. Rojo to go then?

7 inc Maguire.
    I could see Rojo going but that leaves us with 5 fit. Giving our injury history I'd be keeping all 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh I’d of thought Rojo is the obvious one (particularly with the home grown rule), unless the rumors about him potentially playing DM position are true? Think last year there was some suggestion that Ole thought he could play on front of defence. Would sort of explain why the club hasn’t bought a Herrera or Fellaini replacement.

Also wonder if ole might try 3 at the back some games with two attacking full backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

England's No. 1 centre half...
    Consistent performer the last 2 years...

But sure ya.. you make lots of sense..:rolleyes:
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Part of The problem with united , as I see it is that it’s hard to know if players are unable to meet expectations for different reasons. Is it because of the pressure or maybe when they arrive they are disappointed with the level of the team. Or maybe they just get sucked down to the level the team is playing at any given time. Even the usually reliable DDG was dragged down last season.

Oddly enough I’m not concerned about maguire as I think his character and temperament will make him a good signing.

Two replies to my post, one of them is well thought out and one is pointlessly condescending, I'll let yous draw your own conclusions

7 inc Maguire.
    I could see Rojo going but that leaves us with 5 fit. Giving our injury history I'd be keeping all 5.

Who's the 7th?

Maguire, Lindelof, Bailey, Smalling, Jones and Rojo.

Were Everton interested in Rojo last summer? Maybe they'll be back now that Zouma looks to be staying at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Axel

RasTa wrote: »
    Axel

I had to Google who that was. He'll probably be sent on loan now though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TitianGerm wrote:
    I had to Google who that was. He'll probably be sent on loan now though?
    I'm sure Villa would be happy to take him for another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eagle eye wrote: »

Would have a month back but this Window Villa signed 4 CBs (2 of which were already on loan there last season just like Axel) in the form of Mings, Konsa, Engels & Hause. On top of that Chester is still at the club. so I think that opportunity may have passed (and even then Villa probably would have wanted a permanent deal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Rojo's starting tonight, reckon it could be Smalling myself, the weakest on the ball, which is something Ole wants his 2 CBs to be comfortable with, and he's played the least in pre season afaik.

I'd have Tuanzebe and Rojo as the two backups personally. Jones 5th and as you said, Bailly is injured for 4/5 months.

Rojo's starting tonight, reckon it could be Smalling myself, the weakest on the ball, which is something Ole wants his 2 CBs to be comfortable with, and he's played the least in pre season afaik.

I'd have Tuanzebe and Rojo as the two backups personally. Jones 5th and as you said, Bailly is injured for 4/5 months.

Actually Smalling could be the one to suffer most with VAR being introduced and his WWE style of defending so it might be best to move him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Two replies to my post, one of them is well thought out and one is pointlessly condescending, I'll let yous draw your own conclusions

The pointlessly condescending post would be your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Barcelona have decided they are ready to put Philippe Coutinho out on loan at an English club — and they’ll want €27m for the privilege.

any takers?
    what's normal for a loan a few million and pay his wages? This has a makey-uppey vibe about it or maybe it's Barcelona flying a kite

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/football/barcelona-ready-to-give-coutinho-out-on-loan-to-premier-league-club…for-€27m/ar-AAFi3k7?ocid=spartandhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Barcelona have decided they are ready to put Philippe Coutinho out on loan at an English club — and they’ll want €27m for the privilege.

any takers?
    what's normal for a loan a few million and pay his wages? This has a makey-uppey vibe about it or maybe it's Barcelona flying a kite

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/football/barcelona-ready-to-give-coutinho-out-on-loan-to-premier-league-club…for-€27m/ar-AAFi3k7?ocid=spartandhp

James was about 12m, as far as I remember, for two years at Bayern. 27m for a year is big bucks though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

All set at CB now it looks like. But he should be playing every week somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think someone at Villa (owner/manager or someone) said they don't want to develop other club's players for them anymore so they seem to be ruling out loan deals anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think someone at Villa (owner/manager or someone) said they don't want to develop other club's players for them anymore so they seem to be ruling out loan deals anyway.

I think it was Christian Purslow that said it on behalf of the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

There's a difference between developing someone's young talent, and bringing in someone who's good enough to make a difference on the cheap for a season

Would Villa have been promoted without all of Tammy Abrahams goals? Doubtful, and it's only because of that they could then afford Wesley to replace him

It can be kicking the can down the road in terms of plugging a hole in a team, like how Everton may well miss Zouma now but he was a good player for a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on the Maguire transfer I think his signing will mean that United are a lot less likely to lose or draw tricky games like West Ham, Leicester, Palace, Everton etc, he will shore up the defence and I can see him being worth about 7-10 points a season in these type of fixtures where Uniteds defence has previously looked creaky with Jones & Smalling. I'm certain he is going to be a visible improvement on what is already there.

The question then will turn to how he performs against the top 6. Can he shut out the likes of Kane, Salah, Aguero, Aubamayang etc? If he can't then people will rightly question his fee as the worlds most expensive defender, if he can then it will mean United make the top 4 and get CL football back again and the fee will have been justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

The pointlessly condescending post would be your own?

No, the clue was it was one of the posts I quoted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on the Maguire transfer I think his signing will mean that United are a lot less likely to lose or draw tricky games like West Ham, Leicester, Palace, Everton etc, he will shore up the defence and I can see him being worth about 7-10 points a season in these type of fixtures where Uniteds defence has previously looked creaky with Jones & Smalling. I'm certain he is going to be a visible improvement on what is already there.

The question then will turn to how he performs against the top 6. Can he shut out the likes of Kane, Salah, Aguero, Aubamayang etc? If he can't then people will rightly question his fee as the worlds most expensive defender, if he can then it will mean United make the top 4 and get CL football back again and the fee will have been justified.

Maguire on his own can't turn Utd into contenders. Yes he can improve the defence, but he won't be able to improve the attack.
    That needs more signings and better coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There's a difference between developing someone's young talent, and bringing in someone who's good enough to make a difference on the cheap for a season

Would Villa have been promoted without all of Tammy Abrahams goals? Doubtful, and it's only because of that they could then afford Wesley to replace him

It can be kicking the can down the road in terms of plugging a hole in a team, like how Everton may well miss Zouma now but he was a good player for a year

It wouldn't make sense to bring him in again for 3rd time without owning him or the option to. Abraham was brought in on loan to get the club to the Premier League. Job done, now more solid plans can be laid. Otherwise you will have to buy a player to replace him when loan ends, instead it's better to buy other players now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maguire on his own can't turn Utd into contenders. Yes he can improve the defence, but he won't be able to improve the attack. That needs more signings and better coaching.
    You are partly right, better coaching, better tactical approach. They don't need any players, they have a squad capable of challenging for honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You are partly right, better coaching, better tactical approach. They don't need any players, they have a squad capable of challenging for honours.

Yeh on paper they should be top 4 and giving one or two cups a good bash but there is something wrong at the core of the group. Lack of Confidence/belief, not playing as a team and top players maybe just having their own agenda.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sanchez wanted out along with Pogba and lukaku but he just can’t get the wages with another club. He didn’t join united to be in side doing the exact same as Arsenal. And in spite of what some think, they would of seen Jose as a sign that trophies were probably a strong possibility. What should make them believe Ole will be able to do what Jose couldn’t?

So what you are left with is a side that’s no better then top 6 team that may finish a bit higher or lower but that’s it’s level for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Moise Kean confirmed to Everton for an initial £29m with £8m in add ons attached.

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1157970114412777472?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1157970369657102336?s=19

Firpo swaps Betis for the bench at Barcelona. €18m + €12m in add ons.

Moise Kean confirmed to Everton for an initial £29m with £8m in add ons attached.

Don't believe everything you hear from the English media. According to Juventus' official statement it's €27.5m possibly rising to €30m.

• Advertisement

Don't believe everything you hear from the English media. According to Juventus' official statement it's €27.5m possibly rising to €30m.

Well if there is one club masters at cooking the books it Juventus so I wouldn't be believing them either.

Well if there is one club masters at cooking the books it Juventus so I wouldn't be believing them either.

They have to announce to the stock exchange. And the English media are well known for making up transfer fees even when the selling clubs announce the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1157970369657102336?s=19

Firpo swaps Betis for the bench at Barcelona. €18m + €12m in add ons.

Jesus, that's one of the worst photoshops I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's a huge coup for Everton and a big mistake from Juve to let him leave so cheaply. He's a wonderful player and will be a big hit in the Premier League, he'll easily get 20 goals a season.

They have to announce to the stock exchange. And the English media are well known for making up transfer fees even when the selling clubs announce the details.

Ye and everything announced on the stock market is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

His agent is Raiola so its probably another few with commissions and dealing with the fat bag of sh*t.
    Wonder will his Dad ever get the tractors he was supposedly owed???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

That's a huge coup for Everton and a big mistake from Juve to let him leave so cheaply. He's a wonderful player and will be a big hit in the Premier League, he'll easily get 20 goals a season.

20 goals in the premier league or all competitions? I can’t say that I have seen a lot or know much about the player, but that’s a big statement saying he will get 20 goals a season. Would be some signing if he achieves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Seems Dybala to United is off the cards now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Source / more info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

From a Utd perspective better off if the player doesn't want to go there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Baggly wrote: »
    Source / more info?

I just saw it on twitter. Couple of journalists running with the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

with some of the reported demands from the player and his agent that looks like a good move by Utd. They should go for Coutinho in my opinion.
    Man this is the first time I've drank in ages and now I feel sad

Good to see them not giving themselves a problem down the road in terms of a player on a massive contract who doesn't seem to want to be there.

The signings made so far have all been players looking to make a step up. From that pov it's a good plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mignolet to join Club Brugge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Sporting and Fernandes got a right spanking in what could be his last match for them. 5-0 v Benfica. So much talk of him throughout the window, would be some craic if he went nowhere. Obviously a good record in Portugal but can that translate to the PL? Hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Baggly wrote: »
    Good to see them not giving themselves a problem down the road in terms of a player on a massive contract who doesn't seem to want to be there.

The signings made so far have all been players looking to make a step up. From that pov it's a good plan.

Agreed, if what is being reported is the case it's certainly a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mig leaving seems odd? Is Lonergan now the number 2 to Allison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sugarman wrote: »
    Not odd at all, he wants to play.

Lonergan was only brought in for pre season cover and to keep his own fitness up, he's not signing for them.

So only one keeper? I get why Mig wants to just odd to only move now is what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

sugarman wrote: »
    Not odd at all, he wants to play.

Lonergan was only brought in for pre season cover and to keep his own fitness up, he's not signing for them.

Kelleher willl be the second choice GK if they don't bring in another experienced backup. Even if they signed Lonergan, Caoimhin would be the second choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement