Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Corholio wrote: »
    Rooney wearing no.32 at Derby who just happened to be sponsored by 32Red. Gamblings seeping into every facet of football is horrible to see. But as long as they have funny ads right?

not to mention there is some word that the player/coach role is a FFP workaround. apparently coaches/managers aren't considered for FFP, so you can 'allocate' (say) 80% of the wage to the coaching role and 20% to the playing role.

having said that i dont have a clue how FFP works in the championship, and if this is all hearsay bull****. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sky will come up with so many fake rumours to try and make a day of it but in reality the main transfer of the day will be something like Drinkwater going to Burnley

I dont know what the setup is at Burnley's but either Dyche or their head of recruitment must hate each other. Always a bang of Championship or an in from the wilderness quality about their signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

not to mention there is some word that the player/coach role is a FFP workaround. apparently coaches/managers aren't considered for FFP, so you can 'allocate' (say) 80% of the wage to the coaching role and 20% to the playing role.

having said that i dont have a clue how FFP works in the championship, and if this is all hearsay bull****. :confused:
    Yeah it is. Derby and Villa managed to get round some of the spending restrictions. Derby, for example, sold their ground to a sister company, perfectly legal but dubious method of getting funds and clearly skirting the FFP rules. Wolves too had a complaint lodged against them by Leeds over their link to Mendez, an agent. Apparently he got them good deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

77m for a striker who cant score against the top 6. Inter as foolish as United buying him in the first place. No one is surprised he was a flop at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-striker-julian-joachim-16713682

Probably the Weirdest transfer of the summer!
    Former Aston Villa striker Julian Joachim has come out of retirement to make a sensational move to Europa Point F.C in Gibraltar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

rob316 wrote: »
    77m for a striker who cant score against the top 6. Inter as foolish as United buying him in the first place. No one is surprised he was a flop at United.

His scoring record (amount of goals) speaks for itself. I'd say he will piss the league over there, hasn't really worked at United but you cant deny his scoring record is great.

And I think you'd find most were surprised he was a "flop" at united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

klose wrote: »
    His scoring record (amount of goals) speaks for itself. I'd say he will piss the league over there, hasn't really worked at United but you cant deny his scoring record is great.

And I think you'd find most were surprised he was a "flop" at united

As I've previously stated, poor Rob is incapable of commenting on anything United related unless it includes some kind of dig. It's kinda cute at this stage, like the kid in school pulling the pigtails of the little girl he has a crush on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Unearthly wrote: »
    Sky will come up with so many fake rumours to try and make a day of it but in reality the main transfer of the day will be something like Drinkwater going to Burnley

ah, you miss the drama of 'arry leaning out the window of his jeep, with his cockney cryptic clues, for once my team are who all the all the hype is about - could field a team with all the players linked the past 24 hours - most for obscene over-valued prices.

As I've previously stated, poor Rob is incapable of commenting on anything United related unless it includes some kind of dig. It's kinda cute at this stage, like the kid in school pulling the pigtails of the little girl he has a crush on.

He's been a poor signing whatever way you dress it up. A flat track bully with a poor record against the top 6.
    He managed 25 league goals one season at Everton, he never got close to that for United.

I contribute plenty to all threads, all my opinion he is a flop your entitled to think I'm wrong but given his impact in high profile games and fee he was bought for I don't think I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

adaminho wrote: »

I assumed he was older, hes only 44. According to his wiki page hes been playing right up till this year (presumably may) . No mark clubs at an unknown level, but playing nonetheless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Joachim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

rob316 wrote:
    I contribute plenty to all threads, all my opinion he is a flop your entitled to think I'm wrong but given his impact in high profile games and fee he was bought for I don't think I am.

I personally think mo salah is a poor player who rarely scores v top six. But thats just my opinion man..... ;)

Think Mane and firminio are far better and more likely to get goals v top six and top sides in Europe

Again just my opinion man... ;)

brinty wrote: »
    I personally think mo salah is a poor player who rarely scores v top six. But thats just my opinion man..... ;)

Think Mane and firminio are far better and more likely to get goals v top six and top sides in Europe

Again just my opinion man... ;)

Well that's just not the same thing that's just plain stupid.

I'll leave it there some United fans are awfully precious about comments on players who aren't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

rob316 wrote:
    Well that's exactly the same thing that's just plain stupid.

I'll leave it there some Liverpool fans are awfully precious about comments on players who aren't good enough.

FYP

brinty wrote: »
    FYP

My post was fine but whatever makes you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hoping Bale stays put at Real and absolutely milks them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Labelling Lukaku a flop at United is absurd. He's scored 42 goals in 96 games, and has outscored Martial and Rashford each season. He's managed to do that in a team that everyone can see is bereft of creativity. Did he hit the heights that everyone hoped? No, yet the team as a whole failed in that regard.

I consider United selling him as yet another act of stupidity that will come back to haunt down the line. I expect he will be a big hit at Inter.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Sidibe joining Everton could be great for Doherty. If Coleman looses his starting berth Doherty gets a chance to get into the Ireland team.

If Coleman loses his place to Sidibe he may as well pack it in. He was awful at Monaco last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah, you cannot call Lukaku a flop with his scoring record at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Coleman loses his place to Sidibe he may as well pack it in. He was awful at Monaco last season.
    You have to wonder what they are at sending Kenny out on loan and bringing in Sidibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

eagle eye wrote: »
    You have to wonder what they are at sending Kenny out on loan and bringing in Sidibe.

In BFS we trust.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah it is. Derby and Villa managed to get round some of the spending restrictions. Derby, for example, sold their ground to a sister company, perfectly legal but dubious method of getting funds and clearly skirting the FFP rules. Wolves too had a complaint lodged against them by Leeds over their link to Mendez, an agent. Apparently he got them good deals.

The owners of Wolves own some of Mendes agency so they were complained as they said he would only do deals with wolves in the Championship. Nothing came of the investigation.

Wolves have made some odd signings this summer, relative unkowns for multiple millions all very dodgy goings on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The owners of Wolves own some of Mendes agency so they were complained as they said he would only do deals with wolves in the Championship. Nothing came of the investigation.

Wolves have made some odd signings this summer, relative unkowns for multiple millions all very dodgy goings on

Most of their deals have been good, but that double buy of Neto and Bruno is very very weird!

They’ve hardly played any football, both very young, 19 and 20, neither done anything of note really... both were at Braga B, both were then loaned to Lazio and thenbought by Lazio, again barely playing, and then both sold on together for 20m and 10m respectively to Wolves. Smells like they’re having careers based entirely on pushing money around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yea I wouldn't be calling Lukaku a flop he's scored a decent amount of goals but he definitely hasn't lived up to the price tag.

I think picking Rashford over him as his number 1 striker is a bad mistake by Ole and I assume that's what's made Lukaku look for the move?

Will United bring in cover now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yea I wouldn't be calling Lukaku a flop he's scored a decent amount of goals but he definitely hasn't lived up to the price tag.

I think picking Rashford over him as his number 1 striker is a bad mistake by Ole and I assume that's what's made Lukaku look for the move?

Lukaku got plenty of goals but I think he was just another example of the level utd were at over the past few seasons - one game he was excellent and the next anonymous. He's a good player but not at the real top level. I said before though, he worked out better than Morata and it was one or the other of them at the time. P

But he is only 26 and was first choice striker for the last couple of years bar the last couple of months so if United let him go on the last day of the window without having a replacement lined up then it shows they are as stupid as ever in the market. They have known for 3 months he wanted out and that the manager was ok with him going.

And a 33 year old Juventus sub is no replacement either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Exactly.

If a club buys a striker for £75m and he doesn't get 25+ league goals it's easy and entirely simplistic to label them a flop.

Lukaku has been playing in a broken team for his two years with us with very limited supply. He spent much of last season been dragged out to the right wing due to the lack of options out there. He can be as graceful as a drunken rhino by times but if he gets a decent supply of ball in and around the box he will bang in goals for fun, he simply didn't get that at United and I've no doubt he will hit great numbers in italy.

Anyone with a thought process that runs beyond "United are shyte, hurr hurr" can see that.

As for a replacement, I've a morbid fear we will end up with either Bale or nobody, at this point I'd rather nobody because its clear anyone we could get would simply be a shoe horn solution which is the last thing we flippin need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Think the fee paid for Lukaku is utterly stupid for a team that was under the FFP thumb until now and have f**k all quality out wide. Conte has also exiled Icardi out of the squad who they'll have to get moving now at a cut price deal. Anyone wants to know why Juve win the league every year without fail???
    Look at what Inter, Roma & Milan do in the transfer market. Napoli can't even get deals over the line so you can't criticise them as much.

Anyway to Arsenal: some facts and figures

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/1159357224088756229?s=19

The Ornstein replies are quite tame this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So Tierney to Arsenal, Luiz to Arsenal and Sessegnon to Spurs are all agreed and should go through.
    How will United replace Lukaku in the team? No issue replacing his goals, to be fair. Does Rashford just move central, and will Sanchez actually play?

Lukaku can score goals but the question before any game he starts is will he? He's very inconsistent and you either get a sunning display or a player who can't hit the side of a barn. The physical ability is there but the mental side is not always strong IMO. Italy may suit him better and £77m pays for Maguire!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Even after sooo many signings still should be an interesting day for Villa fans. Current rumor is both Said Benrahma (RW from Burnley) for just under 20m and Sevilla’s Ben Yedder for around 30m.

Not expecting that but still it’s been a long past several years to get to a situation where I can write such things about Villa.

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Thought Fernandes was available for around 50m? Dybala image rights were rumoured to be around 40m on their own and then you still have his transfer fee on top of that. Could be a very expensive signing overall.

• Advertisement

Even after sooo many signings still should be an interesting day for Villa fans. Current rumor is both Said Benrahma (RW from Burnley) for just under 20m and Sevilla’s Ben Yedder for around 30m.

Not expecting that but still it’s been a long past several years to get to a situation where I can write such things about Villa.
    Will that bring up the £200m mark in transfers? They'd better stay up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

On paper, a front 3 of Kane, Son and Dybala is as good as any in the league provided Dybala lives up to expectations. Be interesting to see how all three play together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Will that bring up the £200m mark in transfers? They'd better stay up!

As said, not expecting both but I’d guess it’d be about the 180m mark if they did sign both those players iirc.

Lukaku can score goals but the question before any game he starts is will he? He's very inconsistent and you either get a sunning display or a player who can't hit the side of a barn. The physical ability is there but the mental side is not always strong IMO. Italy may suit him better and £77m pays for Maguire!

Rashford got 10 in the league last year (33 games, not sure about the minutes).

Lukaku got 12 in 32 games and that was him being pushed to one side by Ole as well.

How many PL goals are United fans actually expecting from Rashford this season? I can't see him topping 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On paper, a front 3 of Kane, Son and Dybala is as good as any in the league provided Dybala lives up to expectations. Be interesting to see how all three play together.

The Son Dybala thing would be interesting... think both are strongest in pretty much exactly the same spaces, attacking from deeper in space, ideally coming in from the right. Both good players though, I'm sure they can figure something out. Could Son play in the inside-left channel?

Sane, Augero, Sterling
    Mane, Firmino, Salah
    Son, Kane, Dybala
    Lacazette, PEA, Pepe.

You'd imagine there'll be plenty of goals with those anyway!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Sane, Augero, Sterling
    Mane, Firmino, Salah
    Son, Kane, Dybala
    Lacazette, PEA, Pepe.

You'd imagine there'll be plenty of goals with those anyway!!

Looks like Sane could be out for the season. Finding out today if he needs an operation for a suspected torn ACL.

Won’t kick a ball this season if he goes under the knife.

Rashford got 10 in the league last year (33 games, not sure about the minutes).

Lukaku got 12 in 32 games and that was him being pushed to one side by Ole as well.

How many PL goals are United fans actually expecting from Rashford this season? I can't see him topping 15.
    They are both poor returns for top class strikers. Rashford is still young and learning his craft, Lukaku is in his prime. The Lukaku consistency question is a known problem and has been anywhere he's been. That doesn't make him a bad player but you just don't know what you'll get from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Thought Fernandes was available for around 50m? Dybala image rights were rumoured to be around 40m on their own and then you still have his transfer fee on top of that. Could be a very expensive signing overall.

Different players though? And Dybala would be the better deal anyway.

Sure we’ve no idea what the story is about the image rights so no point speculating. The prospect of him sitting at Juve for a year could’ve motivated all parties to resolve the issue. Or Spurs could’ve decided they can insulate themselves from what they see as a personal dispute and acquire his image rights from their current holder as normal. We just don’t know.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Looks like Sane could be out for the season. Finding out today if he needs an operation for a suspected torn ACL.

Ok. Well insert Jesus/Marhez/B Silva then. Your not short of options anyway :pac:

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Different players though? And Dybala would be the better deal anyway.

Sure we’ve no idea what the story is about the image rights so no point speculating. The prospect of him sitting at Juve for a year could’ve motivated all parties to resolve the issue. Or Spurs could’ve decided they can insulate themselves from what they see as a personal dispute and acquire his image rights from their current holder as normal. We just don’t know.

I think Fernandes would be more of an Erikson replacement but with Dybala maybe Poch will switch formation.

Ndombele & Le Celso
    Dybala, Erikson, Son
    Kane

Then you have plenty of rotation options for all those positions bar Kane but Son can play that role anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

gstack166 wrote: »

Misread that as Mane, nearly had a heart attack!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone know anything of this Inaki Williams fella United are linked with?

Just checked his goalscoring record, and it doesn't exactly scream of an €81 million player. No different to Rashford's returns, but in a middling team (well MORE middling team).

Considering he is one player that wasn't perpetually linked with United all summer, it seems to be the definition of a panic buy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BBC reporting Spurs are close to reaching an agreement for Dybala as well, with Dan Kilpatrick (decent Tier for Spurs) saying it's still quite complicated due to his image rights. Sessegnon seems a done deal, and Lo Celso as well seems like it will go through today.

Would be some window for us if we signed all of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ill admit i hadn't read up on Tierney before now; and i don't follow Celtic so wasnt aware of his playtime this year. I was surprised at the below.
    Tierney, who has been restricted to just nine appearances this year and had a summer double hernia operation, has won four league titles with Celtic and has been on the winning side for two Scottish Cups and two League Cups.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49261543

£25m is a decent chunk of change given the above, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I was skeptical, but its been a very interesting window. Even more so if these Spurs deals all go through.

Rangers looking at loan of Brandon Barker from City as a replacement for Ryan Kent, according to Sky. Charlie Austin to West Brom on a permanent deal also looking likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Anyone know anything of this Inaki Williams fella United are linked with?

Just checked his goalscoring record, and it doesn't exactly scream of an €81 million player. No different to Rashford's returns, but in a middling team (well MORE middling team).

Considering he is one player that wasn't perpetually linked with United all summer, it seems to be the definition of a panic buy.

Not a fookin scooby. It won’t happen tho. Can’t see United getting anyone today. All these rumors will be PR propaganda from United today or papers looking to sell papers and get clicks.

All fart, no poo.

Not a fookin scooby. It won’t happen tho. Can’t see United getting anyone today. All these rumors will be PR propaganda from United today or papers looking to sell papers and get clicks.

All fart, no poo.
    Not sure that's the metaphor you want! Or maybe it is! :D

• Advertisement

Wolves looking to "respect" that homegrown player rule by pursing England U20 forward Danny Loader from Reading.

Advertisement