Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

AdamD wrote: »
    He's the third best player in the world

He certainly was but then he went to an uncompetitive league for two years, got injured and I assume his life has been like a circus. It's a big gamble for the money they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gbear wrote: »
    I think Barca are heading for trouble. Once Messi can't keep them afloat I really do wonder how they're going to manage, because there doesn't seem to be any thought put into their structure, the needs of the team or how they're building for the future.

The rest of the spine of that great Pep team is over 30 now, and I don't think they have the replacements on hand.

It's not helped by them consulting Messi about transfers as they need to start focusing on what the club needs long term. Madrid haven't moved on from their old setup when they had Ronaldo & won't improve until they do to me that's a big warning to Barcelona which I'm very confident they won't heed.
    It's not like that policy has been working the last few year. They ended up bringing in Tata from that & the managers are essentially puppets without the strings since Guardiola left.
    Some players there are overstaying their welcome but they don't see that you need to get rid of players just before it's too late.

He hasn't been that for a few years now. He's not even the best player at PSG anymore which is why they won't be upset if he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Not much good to anyone not playing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Three years ago maybe think had my doubts then.

Not even close now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Monreal leaves Arsenal despite starting their 3 PL matches. Tierney must be coming along fitness wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Neymar had the talent to become as good as Messi & Ronaldo.

I remember 15/16 Messi was injured & Neymar & Suarez were incredible. Didnt miss Messi at all. Thats how good Neymar was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'd rate De bruyne, Mbappe and Sterling higher than Neymar. That's just off the top of my head.

Neymar might have a 10/10 game now and then but he too often does nothing or is sidelined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ter Stegen, Umtiti, Lenglet, Semedo, Arthur, Firpo, Dembele, De Jong, Griezman, Rakitic and Suarez. All players signed after Pep left.

Pique, Busquets, Alba and Messi are the only Pep players left. The Pep team is well gone by now and the spine is already well on its way to being replaced.

Messi has so much more weight than any of the rest of those, putting him in the same sentence as the others is crazy. He should be in 30 point font and I agree that FCB post Messi is going to be a whole new world for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

AdamD wrote:

Spot on. He picked up injuries around the time of the knockout stages the last two seasons which was bad luck but hardly makes him a sicknote the way some on here are trying to suggest. He is a once in a generation talent.

Incredible to hear names like De Bruyne and Sterling being mentioned as better. What have they done of comparable note in Europe? Nothing. As for Mbappe, he may one day get on Neymar's level but he is not there yet.
    gimli2112 wrote:
    He certainly was but then he went to an uncompetitive league for two years, got injured and I assume his life has been like a circus. It's a big gamble for the money they're talking about.

Monaco won the title the season before he went. And Serie A has been more uncompetitive than Ligue 1 with no winner besides Juve since Milan in 2010-11. Does Ronaldo therefore deserve to be questioned on his status in the game on the basis of moving there?

The "uncompetitive league" saw PSG lose 5 times last season and be beaten in both domestic cup competitions, as opposed to Man City who lost 4 times in the Prem and won a domestic treble. Not to mention Liverpool losing just the once in the PL all season - to City.

In 17-18, Neymar's first season in Paris, the Ligue 1 title was won by PSG with a margin of 13 points (3 losses). Meanwhile in England, City won the title with a margin of 19 points (2 losses).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Neymar is severely overrated imo. He hasn’t been in the top 10 performing players in Europe in the last 2 years, never mind a generational talent. I’d have De Bruyne, Sterling ahead of him like another poster said. Overhyped due to his marketability.

Neymar is severely overrated imo. He hasn’t been in the top 10 performing players in Europe in the last 2 years, never mind a generational talent. I’d have De Bruyne, Sterling ahead of him like another poster said. Overhyped due to his marketability.

Funny how this overrated talent dominated the Liverpool defence in Paris, widely considered the best defensive outfit in Europe last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Neymar was definitely the chief in waiting after Ronaldo & Messi.

He put in some incredible performances for both Barcelona & Brazil in vital games. The PSG move has ruined his potential to become the best on the planet. Definitely more talented than the rest after Ronaldo & Messi.

Funny how this overrated talent dominated the Liverpool defence in Paris, widely considered the best defensive outfit in Europe last season.

You claimed he was a once in a generation talent. I’d expect him to dominate big games over the course of a number of successive seasons for anyone to be given that title. By that logic I’ll let Milan Pavkov know he is a once in a generation talent as he scored twice last season for Red Star Belgrade against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nunu wrote: »
    Neymar was definitely the chief in waiting after Ronaldo & Messi.

No ,he wasnt really.

Very good player on his day but very streaky.
    Blew hot and cold .

Hope Barcelona don't resign him after the treachery he showed to leave in the first place.
    I wouldnt be surprised if he was no longer playing football in a few years .

You claimed he was a once in a generation talent. I’d expect him to dominate big games over the course of a number of successive seasons for anyone to be given that title. By that logic I’ll let Milan Pavkov know he is a once in a generation talent as he scored twice last season for Red Star Belgrade against Liverpool.

You were the one who claimed "He hasn’t been in the top 10 performing players in Europe in the last 2 years". I gave you an example within the past twelve months of him dominating the eventual European champions.

When Pavkov does this, get back to me...

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1067880667063701504

Overrated. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Bruno Fernandes with another goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Spot on. He picked up injuries around the time of the knockout stages the last two seasons which was bad luck but hardly makes him a sicknote the way some on here are trying to suggest.

Missed 6 months, came back for 6 months, then missed 8 months (and counting)...

Given that they're all injuries in the same area, that's a big risk.
    You were the one who claimed "He hasn’t been in the top 10 performing players in Europe in the last 2 years". I gave you an example within the past twelve months of him dominating the eventual European champions.

By any metric it's hard to call someone one of the top 10 performing players over a 2 year period in which they've only played around 40% of those 2 years... especially when you consider one very underwhelming major international tournament and the other major international tournament missed entirely.

Also wasn't in the top 10 for Fifa player of the year awards in 2018 or 2019. and wasn't in the top 10 for the 2018 Ballon D'or, and certainly won't be in the top 10 for the 2019 Ballon D'or.

Sterling only became a somebody on the world stage last year and KDB, who I agree is class, was injured for most of last year and is yet to do anything in Europe. Putting them ahead of Neymar is extremely unfair, he is the only player in world football at the moment who has the potential to touch the big 2, maybe Mbappe a bit further down the line as well. The rest remain firmly in the “best of the rest” tier fighting it out with Hazard, Pogba, Salah and the likes.

Sterling only became a somebody on the world stage last year and KDB, who I agree is class, was injured for most of last year and is yet to do anything in Europe. Putting them ahead of Neymar is extremely unfair, he is the only player in world football at the moment who has the potential to touch the big 2, maybe Mbappe a bit further down the line as well. The rest remain firmly in the “best of the rest” tier fighting it out with Hazard, Pogba, Salah and the likes.

Pogba is nowhere in the conversation, most overrated player in premier League history imo,does the odd good thing.

Pogba is nowhere in the conversation, most overrated player in premier League history imo,does the odd good thing.

I’m inclined to agree but I suppose if you captain your country to a World Cup you have a bit of a grace period to prove yourself, although his is rapidly coming to a close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I’m inclined to agree but I suppose if you captain your country to a World Cup you have a bit of a grace period to prove yourself, although his is rapidly coming to a close.

Lloris is the french captain.

Lloris is the french captain.

Fair point, thank you. That video of him before the final would imply that he was the leader in practice which should suffice.

Fair point, thank you. That video of him before the final would imply that he was the leader in practice which should suffice.

He looks good on camera when not actually playing for sure,plays it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pogba is still living off his juventus reputation

Pogba, like Neymar as I said before, is severely overrated due to his marketability. Both talented no doubt but have not performed at a consistently good level that their hype suggests they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neymar staying at PSG.

Good he is no lose to top level football leave him in a 3rd rate league to sulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Neymar staying at PSG.

Don't think we've seen the end of this yet. Barcelona likely up to more shít-housery.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    By any metric it's hard to call someone one of the top 10 performing players over a 2 year period in which they've only played around 40% of those 2 years... especially when you consider one very underwhelming major international tournament and the other major international tournament missed entirely.

Also wasn't in the top 10 for Fifa player of the year awards in 2018 or 2019. and wasn't in the top 10 for the 2018 Ballon D'or, and certainly won't be in the top 10 for the 2019 Ballon D'or.

He played nearly twice as much as De Bruyne whose name was mentioned on this thread as being ahead of him. And those FIFA awards are meaningless. Anyone think Modric is still the world's best?

It's not hard to call him one of the top 10 performing players when you see him perform. Let's be real here 95%+ of Boards.ie do not watch him in French football. Some of the recent ignorant comments attest to that. Asking this lot for opinions on a player is the equivalent of asking someone for an opinion on a movie that they haven't seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He played nearly twice as much as De Bruyne whose name was mentioned on this thread as being ahead of him. And those FIFA awards are meaningless. Anyone think Modric is still the world's best?

It's not hard to call him one of the top 10 performing players when you see him perform. Let's be real here 95%+ of Boards.ie do not watch him in French football. Some of the recent ignorant comments attest to that. Asking this lot for opinions on a player is the equivalent of asking someone for an opinion on a movie that they haven't seen.

"Performing" as a word sort of indicates that it's a continuous occurrence - especially when someone adds the specific caveat of a 2 year period. For 60% of the last 2 years he's been unable to even play. Prior to that, absolutely, definitely a top 10 player. But in any sort of rational discussion of the best guys over the past 2 years, he's not in the conversation. He's had brilliant games in that time, sure, but not a single one at the business end of the season when tension ramps up and reputations are really made, because he simply hasn't played a single game at the business end of the season since 2016/2017.

Personally speaking, his constant playacting, mixed with his treatment of one of the best young players in the world "Eat the pizza Donatello!", and the "I train when I want" mentality which has all been covered in detail by Diego Torres (both stories at El Pais linked in my earlier post), just put me off him anyway.

And that's not even taking into account his involvement in the very right-wing-leaning tithing form of evangelical christianity in Brazil that largely exists to take money from poor people and spread arcane right wing beliefs, which have been a big part of the political shift there. He doesn't tend to get involved in politics at all himself, but he didn't exactly distance himself from his relationship with Bolsonaro. Yes, it's perhaps unfair to judge players on stuff like that too much, but it's all just extra pieces that really leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

https://twitter.com/AS_Monaco_EN/status/1167904335910465536?s=19

Another option to buy that is basically kicking the can down the road.

https://twitter.com/GalatasaraySK/status/1167889811941642241?s=19

Can't find an english link but Falcao has joined Galatasaray. Augustin from Leipzig will be heading to Monaco as Icardi has shown no interest.

https://twitter.com/_GIFN/status/1167418125945573376?s=19

Kinda out the back door this one.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    "Performing" as a word sort of indicates that it's a continuous occurrence - especially when someone adds the specific caveat of a 2 year period. For 60% of the last 2 years he's been unable to even play. Prior to that, absolutely, definitely a top 10 player. But in any sort of rational discussion of the best guys over the past 2 years, he's not in the conversation. He's had brilliant games in that time, sure, but not a single one at the business end of the season when tension ramps up and reputations are really made, because he simply hasn't played a single game at the business end of the season since 2016/2017.

He got unfortunate with the timing of his injuries. He was showing in the games in the earlier rounds his talent was as good as ever. He helped his team top the most difficult Champions League group last season, which contained the eventual Champions League winners. With the exception of Hazard and Messi I can't think of a player that gave Liverpool's defence more problems than he did at Paris. Are we to believe he wouldn't have been able to reproduce these performances in a crunch situation? The guy that inspired an historic turnaround for Barca against PSG when all hope seemed lost?

His two really significant injuries around the knockout stage were a result of brutal treatment on the field. Last season he was basically hacked out of the United tie as the Strasbourg players didn't like his showboating. He doesn't get the protection in Ligue 1 that he does in the CL.

I would also add any criteria for a rational discussion on the merits of any player ought to have as a minimum requirement that people should have seen at least a half a dozen matches of the player in question, which realistically disqualifies many if not most of the people that are having a pop at him.
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    Personally speaking, his constant playacting, mixed with his treatment of one of the best young players in the world "Eat the pizza Donatello!", and the "I train when I want" mentality which has all been covered in detail by Diego Torres (both stories at El Pais linked in my earlier post), just put me off him anyway.

And that's not even taking into account his involvement in the very right-wing-leaning tithing form of evangelical christianity in Brazil that largely exists to take money from poor people and spread arcane right wing beliefs, which have been a big part of the political shift there. He doesn't tend to get involved in politics at all himself, but he didn't exactly distance himself from his relationship with Bolsonaro. Yes, it's perhaps unfair to judge players on stuff like that too much, but it's all just extra pieces that really leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I get what you're saying and to me this is at the heart of most of the criticism he gets. It's not motivated about his talent imo but how people perceive his character. They just don't like the guy and don't want to give him credit.

The political stuff is a harsh stick to beat him with. Sure we had McGregor a while back taking a photo of himself with Putin and it didn't hurt his popularity over here one bit. He even called him one of the world's great leaders if I recall correctly.

At the end of the day Guardiola has said the player who is closest to Messi in terms of individual talent is Neymar. Klopp prior to the matches with PSG last season said he was pretty sure it's impossible to stop his qualities. Messi, when asked to name his top 5 players in the world - after putting himself and Ronaldo in a separate category - chose Neymar alongside Mbappe, Hazard, Suarez and Aguero. I don't believe these guys would agree with your assertion that he is not in the conversation. He's absolutely in my personal top 5.
    ERG89 wrote:
    Augustin from Leipzig will be heading to Monaco as Icardi has shown no interest.

I don't know why they were after him if he wasn't interested. He's one of the last players I'd want if his heart's not in it.

Augustin is a player I like and I think he'd do well returning to Ligue 1. Also pleased to see Bakayoko return. I thought he did a great job rehabilitating his career at Milan after his disappointing Chelsea spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Chicharito to join Sevilla.

Roma in talks to sign Mikhitaryan.

Totti could have another 80 minute press conference on the sh!te they've brought in this past week alone.

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1168446085821546496?s=19

Icardi going to PSG on loan with an option to buy. Think their environment will suit him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mkhitaryan/Sanchez swapped and then loaned in underperforming disgrace. Must be the worst deal of it's kind ever in the Premier League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mkhitaryan/Sanchez swapped and then loaned in underperforming disgrace. Must be the worst deal of it's kind ever in the Premier League

One of my favourite deals in football :)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Bruno Fernandez going to end up at Real according to the DM. €64M. It's rare a player is linked to a lot of top clubs and doesn't move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

klose wrote:
    Pogba is still living off his juventus reputation
    Pogba was superb for Juve, superb for France in the World Cup.
    Only team he hasn't performed to that level for is Manchester United and when you see that Sanchez, Martial, Matic, Fred, Bailly and then the likes of Mkhitaryan, Lukaku, Depay and Ander Herrera, who all cost a nice chunk of change, haven't performed at United either then you have to seriously question if it's the club that's the problem and not the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

eagle eye wrote: »
    Only team he hasn't performed to that level for is Manchester United and when you see that Sanchez, Martial, Matic, Fred, Bailly and then the likes of Mkhitaryan, Lukaku, Depay and Ander Herrera, who all cost a nice chunk of change, haven't performed at United either then you have to seriously question if it's the club that's the problem and not the player.

di Maria got on better before and after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

eagle eye wrote: »

The same is true of Mourinho and LVG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Bruno Fernandez going to end up at Real according to the DM. €64M. It's rare a player is linked to a lot of top clubs and doesn't move on.

They're after spending some money this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They're after spending some money this summer.

I wonder what fee he would have gone for if spurs /United were still able to bid for him ?

Wouldn't be rushing to Madrid. Things aren't recovering under Zidane, he doesn't seem to value many of the new signings & he has been too loyal to players who are wildly out of form, some of whom should probably have been sent on their way.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be rushing to Madrid. Things aren't recovering under Zidane, he doesn't seem to value many of the new signings & he has been too loyal to players who are wildly out of form, some of whom should probably have been sent on their way.

Are a lot of the new signings not injured?

I wonder what fee he would have gone for if spurs /United were still able to bid for him ?

Spurs are €600M in debt according to some comments attributed to Poch and can't compete on this level. The Utd tax would probably have pushed the price closer to €100M, well maybe €10M extra. The prices being paid (I initially spelled this payed god I'm tired) for players after one good season is staggering. My limited youtube research did indicate Fernandez was pretty handy but it doesn't always transfer to foreign leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kaylor Navas has gone to PSG on a 4 year deal.

Kaylor Navas has gone to PSG on a 4 year deal.

Freeing up a spot for De Gea next summer or have they replaced Navas already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Courtois?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Courtois is there since last season.

Courtois?

By all accounts I don't think he's been as good as they expected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement