Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Will be interesting to see if Areola displaces Courtois. I saw a stat that Courtois has conceded in his last 11 league games which is his worst career run. I like Areola and didn't feel he got a fair shot at the PSG position.

Navas did pretty well as I recall when he had Madrid's keeper spot a few seasons back. Just a question of whether he still has the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would not be surprised if next summers annual Juventus free transfer is De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Icardi signs a 3 year deal, extention I presume, with Inter before moving on loan to PSG. I'd say Inter are delighted to be rid of him. Top striker but seems to cause a lot of drama, wonder how he'll get on.

According to SS I should add, not confirmed by PSG as far as I've seen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is it wrote: »
    Icardi signs a 3 year deal, extention I presume, with Inter before moving on loan to PSG. I'd say Inter are delighted to be rid of him. Top striker but seems to cause a lot of drama, wonder how he'll get on.

According to SS I should add, not confirmed by PSG as far as I've seen

It official.
    https://twitter.com/PSG_inside/status/1168633760960655362?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Are a lot of the new signings not injured?
    Some were for the 1St game.

The other night v Villarreal a lot were back and playing.

Hazard still out though.

But Madrid had Mendy, Jovic playing and Militao on the bench.

And they still looked average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some were for the 1St game.

The other night v Villarreal a lot were back and playing.

Hazard still out though.

But Madrid had Mendy, Jovic playing and Militao on the bench.

And they still looked average.

I thought Mendy was decent, though Jovic was a little poor bar his flick on for Carvajal for Bales goal. Militao won't see a huge amount of game time in my opinion, he'll be used to rotate with Varane and Ramos for now.

To me they're lacking creativity and Hazard will help sort that out. I think they'll gel as the season goes on but they need to ensure they don't fall too far behind. ZZ got big money, you'd think he's already under a bit of pressure

Icardi, Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe in the same dressing room. Some serious egos to keep in check. All the best to Tuchel with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Icardi, Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe in the same dressing room. Some serious egos to keep in check. All the best to Tuchel with that.

Icardi undoubtedly talented is absolute poison between him and his wife. Pity as he'd be playing at a better club if their wasn't so much baggage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

rob316 wrote: »
    Icardi undoubtedly talented is absolute poison between him and his wife. Pity as he'd be playing at a better club if their wasn't so much baggage

He will fit in well at the circus that is PSG so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

FitzShane wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if next summers annual Juventus free transfer is De Gea.

That's a cracking call. It not as if he would be encouraged by the new regime...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cavani's a thorough professional, hardly an ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

'Sport' say the forward (Neymar) is 'sad and deeply angry' that he isn't at the Nou Camp

erm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've never heard even any rumours about Cavani sulking or complaining.
    Did I miss something about Mbappe? Never came across anything as regards him either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    'Sport' say the forward (Neymar) is 'sad and deeply angry' that he isn't at the Nou Camp

erm?

The move from PSG to Barca fell through. It's like when Couthino had a great sadness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Next season Real Madrid may get Christian Ericsson and David De Gea on a free. That’s just a crazy thought that’s a very strong possibility

On the contrary he openly bickered with Neymar on the field over who would take a penalty. He subsequently unfollowed him on Instagram after the spat before they worked it out, and when Emery later left PSG he blamed the furore on his old boss. He was also fined by Emery and cut from the squad at one stage after arriving back 2 days late. He's no angel and most definitely has an ego. Even his teammate Draxler said a while back all the PSG forwards have egos (he added Di Maria as well).
    eagle eye wrote:
    I've never heard even any rumours about Cavani sulking or complaining.
    Did I miss something about Mbappe? Never came across anything as regards him either

Mbappe used the Ligue 1 awards ceremony in the summer to talk about how he wanted more responsibility or he might look to move away. It was widely seen at the time as a power play and he apologised for it only a few weeks ago admitting his comments were "ambiguous":

“I take this opportunity to apologise to the players. I spoiled the party a little. I stole the show negatively.

“Fans, too. I’m sorry. Let’s say I apologise but they did not understand the message. But it was in the interest of PSG. Today, everything is fine."

He and Rabiot were also fined €180,000 each for arriving late to a crucial team meeting. It was rumoured at the time they were watching the second half of El Clascio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

90% 99% of what is wrong at PSG regards ego is all on Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Drumpot wrote: »
    Next season Real Madrid may get Christian Ericsson and David De Gea on a free. That’s just a crazy thought that’s a very strong possibility
    Thems the rules.
    They will be available to whoever offers the highest wages I'd say.
    If Real Madrid have another poor season then they might not be the draw for some top players, who want to be winning.

https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/status/1168611621155086336

I watched a Sporting game recently where Raphinha looked very good and nearly got a hat-trick. Excited to see what he does at Rennes. They tend to have a clever transfer policy. Seems Everton's Yannick Bolasie is replacing him.

Speaking of Sporting, surprised after all the summer rumours nobody went for Bruno Fernandes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

https://twitter.com/PsoccerCOM/status/1168611621155086336

I watched a Sporting game recently where Raphinha looked very good and nearly got a hat-trick. Excited to see what he does at Rennes. They tend to have a clever transfer policy. Seems Everton's Yannick Bolasie is replacing him.

Speaking of Sporting, surprised after all the summer rumours nobody went for Bruno Fernandes.

Because he had a buyout clause at a much lower figure than Sporting wanted so no club was going to pay more than his clause said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thems the rules.
    They will be available to whoever offers the highest wages I'd say.
    If Real Madrid have another poor season then they might not be the draw for some top players, who want to be winning.

True but Madrid aren’t quite at Man United level yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Times are reporting tonight that the PL are going to scrap the early closing transfer window and return to the old way.

The clubs vote early next week.

Liverpool are reported to be the latest team to now wanting to chance back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think that the transfer window closing before the season starts is a great idea. It forces teams to actual plan properly during the summer months and stops the panic buying of a new forward on the last day because you haven't scored in your first 3 games. Sam Allardyce type clubs and signings are rife.

But....it would only work if all leagues start and finish at the start time. It could come in again after the Qatar and all the leagues start closer together but really they probably won't ever allign due to the different climates in Spain, Portugal & Italy to the rest of northern Europe so therefore have to start later in the year as it is cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The Times are reporting tonight that the PL are going to scrap the early closing transfer window and return to the old way.

The clubs vote early next week.

Liverpool are reported to be the latest team to now wanting to chance back.

klopp said a couple of weeks ago that he didn't care when the window closed as long as it was the same time as other countries, as the other countries weren't changing to the UK date it had to change back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think that the transfer window closing before the season starts is a great idea. It forces teams to actual plan properly during the summer months and stops the panic buying of a new forward on the last day because you haven't scored in your first 3 games. Sam Allardyce type clubs and signings are rife.

But....it would only work if all leagues start and finish at the start time. It could come in again after the Qatar and all the leagues start closer together but really they probably won't ever allign due to the different climates in Spain, Portugal & Italy to the rest of northern Europe so therefore have to start later in the year as it is cooler.

It doesn't necessarily need to coincide with everyone's first match weekend though... could equally just make it August 1st, before any European league starts, and everyone knows where they stand, and has absolutely everyone in for a little bit of preseason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement