Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Coutinho to Spurs is the latest now because of his previous relationship with Poch.

Eriksen to Spain then.

Imagine that he leaves liverpool to join his dream club and ends up at Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Eriksen wants to leave Spurs.
    Eriksen told Ekstrabladet: "I have the wildest and deepest respect for everything that has happened in Tottenham, nor will it be negative. But I have also said that I would like to try something new.

"I hope there will be a clarification during the summer. That's the plan. In football you do not know when a clarification comes. It can happen anytime. Everyone wants it best if it happens as soon as possible, but in football takes things time.

"It depends on Daniel Levy (Tottenham's chairman, ed.), And another club has to come. Or I have to sit down at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can't set a date yourself.

"There are not many points that Tottenham cannot meet. If I have to go, then hopefully it will be a step up.

"It's a step up. But it requires Real Madrid to call Tottenham and say they want Christian. And they have not done so yet, as far as I know.

"It is hard. It depends on the possibilities. If nothing pops up that is more exciting, why not stay in Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract, depends on the conditions."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/christian-eriksen-confirms-wants-quit-16258368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would think Barca will be in for Mbappe or else City

Dembele, Coutinho and cash might get it done

Its crazy amount of cash for a player in fairness, he could replace sane for City but Jesus and Sane would be sold and prob only get half of what Mbappe price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Eriksen will probably be sold.

His form over the last few months has been poor so Real may not go for him now. Could see Juventus signing him.

• Months lol
    Fickle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How much did Real take in last year. I remember looking at them and United 12 months ago and both were capable of spending €550 million and being in line with ffp.
    I don't know their situation this season though.
    Mbappe going to play for Zidane seems like the obvious move if he has handed in a transfer request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Erikson has been off the boil for two seasons rather than two months. Spurs would be right to cash in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So many "top" players wanting to leave but no idea where they will go

Neymar, Mbappe, Pogba, Eriksen, Hazard, Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Erikson has been off the boil for two seasons rather than two months. Spurs would be right to cash in now.

He was in the Prem team of the year last season (2017/2018) that's not to shabby ,

This season he hasn't hit the heights but he hasn't played in a settled midfield all season ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

naughtb4 wrote: »

Only a small subset of teams can afford these players, so it would basically be like swapping them around and seeing if they work better in another setup, with the vast majority of 1st teams not changing from their current lineup.

So Madrid, Barca, Utd, Bayern, Juve, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG....they all handpick out a player from the current 'elite group of players' and see if it works.

Then wash, rinse, repeat .....

eagle eye wrote: »
    How much did Real take in last year. I remember looking at them and United 12 months ago and both were capable of spending €550 million and being in line with ffp.
    I don't know their situation this season though.
    Mbappe going to play for Zidane seems like the obvious move if he has handed in a transfer request.

Weren't they just announced as the worlds richest club recently?
    https://news.sky.com/story/deloitte-football-money-league-2019-real-madrid-richest-ahead-of-barcelona-and-manchester-united-11615915

If so, I'm sure that would cover them for a couple of massive signings yet.

and sometimes when one moves you get that musical chairs effect. Who'll be left with a player they don't need but who would raise much needed cash!

Who is going to be first transfer to move to kick off the effect?

seems like there is a lot of waiting around for some.

Hazard -> Madrid
    then do Madrid sell someone like Isco?

Griezman -> Barca
    which means Barca will sell Coutinho & Atletico will have to buy someone

Pogba -> Juventus
    which means United will buy someone. Possibly Eriksen to United? He is going somewhere

De Ligt -> someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

NIMAN wrote: »

Only a small subset of teams can afford these players, so it would basically be like swapping them around and seeing if they work better in another setup, with the vast majority of 1st teams not changing from their current lineup.

So Madrid, Barca, Utd, Bayern, Juve, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG....they all handpick out a player from the current 'elite group of players' and see if it works.

Then wash, rinse, repeat .....

That's what makes it interesting, I can see loads having to stay put. Only so much money in those clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That's what makes it interesting, I can see loads having to stay put. Only so much money in those clubs

It mental years ago clubs like United and Madrid could rebuild in one summer by spending 150/200 million now you'd be luck to get two half decent players for that,

It's so important these days to keep on top of things every season as you can't afford to need 4/5 good players in one summer ,

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »

Hazard -> Madrid

Griezman -> Barca

Pogba -> Juventus
    which means United will buy someone. Possibly Eriksen to United? He is going somewhere

De Ligt -> someone

De Ligt should really be one of the hottest big sales this summer, I can see a few fighting over his signature.

The Spanish Big 2 need a new star at centre half, Ramos and Pique's days are numbered, they didn't have great seasons and I think the years are catching up on them. But can also see the EPL big boys wanting him too of course.

I don't think Zidane fancies Isco at all, as well as Bale obviously. Isco might want to move on, Bale might dig his feet in. Can also see Marcelo moving on, with maybe Modric too.

Pogba a definite mover I'd say. Where though? Juve possibly. PSG?

Then again, there are some of the big names that you can't see at a club if the current manager stays. For example, couldn't see Neymar at City cos he wouldn't be Pep's kind of player. Or Pogba. Mbappe yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mbappe won't go anywhere. He has 4 years (?) left on his contract and PSG don't need the cash. They'll demand a fee that nobody can pay. Its a pity he signed for them really, we won't get to see him outside of France unless he runs his contract down.

Barca - they'd love a statement signing with Real quickly moving in the market. Mbappe is the obvious front man for them but they would need to move two others to cover both fee and wages - Coutinho is obvious. PSG would make sense for business reasons and he could certainly flourish in that set up, Dembele out as well would be pretty dramatic but he'd have suitors. Griezmann has to go somewhere after his pissing about. Barca cannot afford both.

Real Madrid - still room for Hazard? Surely they'll be near the edge of breaking the bank for him - talk today of breakdown in negotiations. Could they go for Eriksson as a cheaper creative player?

Sane to Bayern if it happens would suggest City will buy a midfielder esp with KDB becoming injury prone and Silva the elder getting on. Bruno Fernandes would be obvious choice but paper talk says Man Utd are favourites if so is that to replace Paul Pogba who might return to Juventus (Pogback II: the sequel). Madrid might want him but they can;t buy everyone.

So City could go for ???

De Ligt all roads point to Barca esp if they can shift Umtiti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Barca - they'd love a statement signing with Real quickly moving in the market. Mbappe is the obvious front man for them but they would need to move two others to cover both fee and wages - Coutinho is obvious. PSG would make sense for business reasons and he could certainly flourish in that set up, Dembele out as well would be pretty dramatic but he'd have suitors. Griezmann has to go somewhere after his pissing about. Barca cannot afford both.

Real Madrid - still room for Hazard? Surely they'll be near the edge of breaking the bank for him - talk today of breakdown in negotiations. Could they go for Eriksson as a cheaper creative player?

Sane to Bayern if it happens would suggest City will buy a midfielder esp with KDB becoming injury prone and Silva the elder getting on. Bruno Fernandes would be obvious choice but paper talk says Man Utd are favourites if so is that to replace Paul Pogba who might return to Juventus (Pogback II: the sequel). Madrid might want him but they can;t buy everyone.

So City could go for ???

De Ligt all roads point to Barca esp if they can shift Umtiti.
    Its been a few years since Madrid have spent big (relatively) and they've been selling on players for big fees, I think they've more than enough for Hazard + another big buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He needs to get himself a big boy agent like Mendez, handing in a transfer request when no club can afford you is not a great strategy. I didn’t know he had 4 years left on his current deal which makes it impossible.

Of the clubs that are bigger than PSG, Real, City and Barca can’t pay 300 million for him and he’d never go to United who are probably the only club that could.

If he moves at a cut price deal to Barca or City they can surely expect a few years ban in Europe following, I don’t think Uefa will put up any further trickery from the oilers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The oil money boys will keep getting away with it till after the Qatar World Cup then there might be a crackdown on them.

AdamD wrote: »
    Mbappe won't go anywhere. He has 4 years (?) left on his contract and PSG don't need the cash. They'll demand a fee that nobody can pay. Its a pity he signed for them really, we won't get to see him outside of France unless he runs his contract down.

Ha, since when did a contract stop a guy engineering a move?

No point keeping an unhappy footballer who is playing at 70% or 80% of his potential.

If Mbappe wants out before his 4 years, he'll get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Hazard -> Madrid

Griezman -> Barca

Pogba -> Juventus

De Ligt -> someone

Eriksen was quoted as saying any move would have to be a step up. Hard to know if he's talking financially or from a football perspective but I imagine both, so this would rule United out.

Unfortunately I think this would be a huge blow for Spurs. They have a wealth of attacking talent but no one with the creativity of Eriksen. He's a superb player, underrated by some I believe. He's such a consistent part of their team, rarely gets injured, and he has been hitting double figures in assists in the last 4 seasons. That's serious consistency.

If you look at the past 4 seasons, he's the only player in the league to be in the top 5 assisters every year, so arguably the most consistent creative player in terms of performance and injuries:

18/19 - 3rd
    17/18 - 5th
    16/17- 2nd
    15/16 - 2nd

Whoever gets their hands on Eriksen will know exactly what they're getting from him. Few guarantees in football but Eriksen will be providing chance after chance for your attackers all year long.

I wonder if Spurs might rival United for Madison? Would seem like a logical replacement, obviously not on his level yet but has the creative impulse, loves getting on the ball and plays well between the lines. Alli can not play this role imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It's surely only a matter of time before most players start to sign shorter term deals and go after the real big money that's getting thrown around, the transfer fees. Get themselves insured for an ungodly sum to cover injuries that end their careers early, run down your short term deal and sign with whoever you want/pays the most and get that signing fee.

Now the signing fees will likely be smaller than the current transfer fees as the club is only getting the player on a 1/2/3 year deal and not a 5/6 year one where they they can still get a fee for the player after 4 years. If Mbappe really does want out of PSG, good luck, as good as you are most clubs are going to wince at the thought of shelling out €200m+ on a player. Sign shorter contracts, more free to move where you want and collect those signing fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eriksen will only go to United if he wants a pile of money, but I'd say he's more than just that.

2008, 12 and 15. The years spurs bought the players that would have at each time instantly improved Man Utd all still would improve the team (Modric, Eriksen and Alderweireld). It's not like any of them where no-named, they were all highly touted, and all in positions of need too. Just some sign of how bad and scattergun an approach to signing Man Utd have had in the last 10-15 years, worsening even more after Ferguson left. Some have gone right of course, but the majority have been mediocre for the most part.

To be fair, a lot can be said for most players joining United this summer for the money. Why would the likes of a De Ligt pick United over Barca? Different scenario for the likes of James Maddison.
    Senior figure at Barcelona: “With the state they’re (United) in, it’s not far off picking the Chinese league, career-wise. It’d be sacrificing development and ambition for money in the same way.” #mufc [Independent]

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1136269355828862976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Buffon gone from PSG.

De Gea’s chance to get out?

Surely players can see PSG is not a good move. They have spent a fortune and can't get anywhere in the CL. There is a few good teams in the league but nothing close to PSG and the rest is extremely poor quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Months lol
    Fickle!

Yes it has been months any Spurs fan will tell you this.

If it wasnt for var he would cost Spurs the CL tie against City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No he hasn't. 😂
    rob316 wrote: »
    Surely players can see PSG is not a good move. They have spent a fortune and can't get anywhere in the CL. There is a few good teams in the league but nothing close to PSG and the rest is extremely poor quality.

Could have sworn they topped a group containing the eventual winners of the competition, plus Napoli. PSG, whatever one thinks of them, is a great move. Insane wages, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, guaranteed silverware, the chance to play with some of the world's best players etc.

And there is a big drop in quality outside of the top tiers in all of the big leagues but claiming the other teams are extremely poor quality is ignorant nonsense, as 10th place Rennes showed in their games with Betis and Arsenal. France is a conveyor belt of talent right now as the rest of Europe shows.

• Advertisement

No he hasn't. 😂

Could have sworn they topped a group containing the eventual winners of the competition, plus Napoli. PSG, whatever one thinks of them, is a great move. Insane wages, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, guaranteed silverware, the chance to play with some of the world's best players etc.

And there is a big drop in quality outside of the top tiers in all of the big leagues but claiming the other teams are extremely poor quality is ignorant nonsense, as 10th place Rennes showed in their games with Betis and Arsenal. France is a conveyor belt of talent right now as the rest of Europe shows.

They collapsed against an extremely poor United side, have capitulated number of times in the competition from a strong position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wouldn't go near PSG as a player unless they sold Neymar and fixed their unbalanced squad. Their midfield used to be good but its only really Verratti there now, Herrera....well I don't think many top sides were after him. Their defence has proven to be pretty rubbish when the chips are down as they tend to implode spectacularly.
    No real leadership in that squad just a lot of lads being payed to stay as much as anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They collapsed against an extremely poor United side, have capitulated number of times in the competition from a strong position.

More a case of complacency versus United. And the handball award against them was fairly harsh. Capitulated against Barca but often forgotten some of those Barca goals were robbery.

Don't think they're too far away from being a challenger. Need a quality DM, RW, and two good FBs. Eriksen wouldn't be a bad addition as well but the DM is a must. They've blown it the last few years not sorting that position out. Not convinced Tuchel is the man to do it though.

They could do with hiring a decent manager too. Emery, tuchel not really good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

To be fair, a lot can be said for most players joining United this summer for the money. Why would the likes of a De Ligt pick United over Barca? Different scenario for the likes of James Maddison.

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1136269355828862976

Well, I actually never thought United stood a chance of getting De Ligt without CL football to offer and a major rebuild needed..... but this kind of throwing the toys out of that pram is the stuff you only see from Barca when they aren't about to get their own way.

That's a pretty embarrassing quote if it actually came from inside the club. Especially a club who has a fairly dodgy looking Paulinho deal on their books involving Chinese money in decent seasons.

Hazard to Real Madrid fee agreed. £88m (€100m) + add-ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hazard to Real Madrid fee agreed. £88m (€100m) + add-ons.

Twitter or what?

Thought Chelsea would get a bit more.

Edit: that's 200m spent by Real without a single sale to recoup and it's only early June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

noodler wrote: »

Considering he would be free in 12 months it's a damn decent fee, especially with only 1 club in for him

RMC in France report that PSG are in for De Ligt, and that it's them or Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Edit: that's 200m spent by Real without a single sale to recoup and it's only early June.

Really??

Final year of his contract, 28, been courting them every summer for the last few years. I know prices have gone ridiculous but Chelsea have done well there. I thought Madrid were holding off the last few years because he wasn’t in the bracket of player where they’d pay that amount and waiting till now means they’d get him at a cut price but they still overpaid by a lot.

That’s the next few managerial payouts sorted for Chelsea anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Real acting like the club they are supposed to be. No expense spared in a major rebuild.

Fair price for Hazard, he'll have to pump his numbers though to be a success there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fair price for Hazard, he'll have to pump his numbers though to be a success there.

And find a bit of mid-season consistency. They're quick to turn, those Madrista's, at the merest dip in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's just a little weird they wouldn't wait a year and pick him up for free in the January sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's just a little weird they wouldn't wait a year and pick him up for free in the January sales.

They want to get back to the top now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I guess if I didn't pay tax I wouldn't be able to wait either :)

Spose I just thought the most talented player in the league would get a slightly higher price despite the contract situation.

Especially given the neymar and , VVD and cout madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Spose I just thought the most talented player in the league would get a slightly higher price despite the contract situation.

Especially given the neymar and , VVD and cout madness

I suppose he wanted out and only a year on his contract and Chelsea wanted something. I think its cheap my self but then again could be got for free in 12 months.

At least he is not a headache to pick next year in Fantasty Football, I stuck with him for 2 seasons now :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement