Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

noodler wrote:
    Especially given the neymar and , VVD and cout madness

Van Dijk proved he was worth that price, don't compare him to those other 2 who haven't came close to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is VVD the only huge money £70+ signing in the last couple of years to actually back up the price tag on the pitch?

Pogba
    Dembele
    Coutinho
    Neymar
    Lukaku

All didn’t live up to the hype of their price tag.

Oh Mbappe would be deemed at success too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mbappe plays in France though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

ERG89 wrote: »
    Van Dijk proved he was worth that price, don't compare him to those other 2 who haven't came close to that.

Neymar is world class!!

He plays in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And he doesn't play well there to be honest he just parties.

Neymar is World Class when he wants to be however he hasn't been World Class since moving to France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48539129

James joining Man Utd. Could be a shrewd move. Very quick & direct. Works hard too.

The start of a brave new world of Buy British by an ex player who returned to rescue a season and then got the job permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

And he doesn't play well there to be honest he just parties.

Neymar is World Class when he wants to be however he hasn't been World Class since moving to France.

Absolute nonsense tbh

I don't like him but he is a brilliant player and is consistent for PSG. Big part of their issues in the CL is injuries to Neymar at unfortunate times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ERG89 wrote: »

I'll do what I like!

The main comparison was each of the examples with Hazard tho.

As supreme as VVD is, 75m for him versus 88m for a rare attacking talent like Hazard who has won it all still seems a bit off.

The idea isn't to denegrate VVD' performances since he joined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't like him but he is a brilliant player and is consistent for PSG. Big part of their issues in the CL is injuries to Neymar at unfortunate times.
    Always manages to get injured around his sis' birthday in mid-February, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

noodler wrote: »
    I'll do what I like!

As supreme as VVD is, 75m for him versus 88m for a rare attacking talent like Hazard who has won it all still seems a bit off.

I would disagree strongly here. The rarity of a defender of VVD's quality is almost as rare as Hazard's attacking ability. We're not talking about Ronaldo or Messi here.

Also, how has Hazard "won it all"? He hasn't won the Champions League and he hasn't won anything at international level. OK he's won 2 premier leagues and 2 Europa leagues but I can't see how that's winning it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Always manages to get injured around his sis' birthday in mid-February, too.

Carnival time in Rio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'll do what I like!

Hazard hasn't won a Champions League has he? Thought he joined the year after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hazard hasn't won a Champions League has he? Thought he joined the year after?

He joined after they won in 2012

lassykk wrote: »
    I would disagree strongly here. The rarity of a defender of VVD's quality is almost as rare as Hazard's attacking ability. We're not talking about Ronaldo or Messi here.

I mean disagree all you want of course but typically transfer fees would bear it out that creative players command higher frees than defenders.

Were not talking Messi or Ronaldo bit we are talking the level just below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I mean disagree all you want of course but typically transfer fees would bear it out that creative players command higher frees than defenders.

Were not talking Messi or Ronaldo bit we are talking the level just below.

With Hazard gone, what happens to Eirksun now?

With Hazard gone, what happens to Eirksun now?

Although different players, Id still be surprised to see Real spend another 80m on Erikson having seemingly landed Hazard.

Maybe he stays.

It's not a bad option.

Spurs are a draw and should strengthen.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Van Dijk had a 4.5 years on his contract. Was instantly one of the best players, not just defenders, but players in the league. The team he left were definitely worse off without him and the team he joined were infinitely better when he went. He was 2 years younger too.

Hazard has a year left on his contract, has a club that are in a bit of a mess despite their footballing success and has in the past just downed tools when it suited him, though he at least admitted this and said it was unprofessional. Chelsea did well here, however, I don't think Pulisic is going to be much a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Although different players, Id still be surprised to see Real spend another 80m on Erikson having seemingly landed Hazard.

Maybe Erikson to Bayern? They need something else to complete in Europe, haven't had a playmaker in some time, always rely on the wings, and both Robben & Robery are being replaced over time. James is leaving so they have room for another attacker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The last 3 or 4 summers have been fascinating in terms of what the top 7 PL teams do.

City will invest again, a few players who are not playing may decided that a playing career is better than money & medals for nothing.
    Liverpool won't do much, replace back LB and another attacker after releasing Sturridge and Moreno. I think they'll be happy if they keep all the stars, and let Keita, Gomez, Fab and Shaq blend in even more. Ox is back and Lallana will leave.
    Chelsea have to replace Hazard and Sarri and have a transfer ban. So I think they will just look to play their kids/loanees more and survive...
    Spurs got to a CL final, but are well short in the league. They potentially need 4/5 new starters in the next 2 years if they are to compete, but key that they keep Poch.
    Arsenal need so much work, but can build on the front two, a good keeper and sple good kids coming through. They need to cut Ozil loose and invest to replace him and Ramsey, and a new CB!
    United are another mess, hard to know where to start. I think they'll look to steal from teams around them (Wolves/Neves, Leicester/Vardy or Madison, West Ham/Rice) with big offers, less from abroad as Fred, Pereida, Dalot have not settled well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Maybe he stays.

It's not a bad option.

Spurs are a draw and should strengthen.

Wouldn't be surprised if Madrid show interest but say they can't agree a fee with Sours, So Erikson stays and joins them for free next summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

That fluffy of transfers was with a country’s oil money.
    It’s a very good price for a guy who wants out and will be 29yrs old next Jan.
    Chelsea can earn a few million more on bank interest until they can sign someone.

im not sure it is a great deal for Chelsea. They are spending money poorly.

Morata - 60m
    Bakayoko - 40m
    Kepa - 75m - Good GK but not world class.
    Pulisic - 58m
    Jorginho - 50m - Good player but too slow in the PL.

I think Chelsea could be better off trying to bring through some of there younger players.

Spose I just thought the most talented player in the league would get a slightly higher price despite the contract situation.

100 million for Pogba started the madness of non world class players being mental money ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

100 million for Pogba started the madness of non world class players being mental money ,

Bale could be argued as overpriced , Pogba was meant to transform that utd team, he’s the cherry on top rather than a player to build around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

That fluffy of transfers was with a country’s oil money.
    It’s a very good price for a guy who wants out and will be 29yrs old next Jan.
    Chelsea can earn a few million more on bank interest until they can sign someone.

Off topic but those days are long gone I'm afraid. Interest rates are rock bottom and some financial institutions charge you instead of paying interest on large deposits.

Bale could be argued as overpriced , Pogba was meant to transform that utd team, he’s the cherry on top rather than a player to build around

I think Bale has won four CLs and scored in three CL finals.

Cherry picking my stats there but I don't think he was overpriced.

There's some stuff on the twitter machine overnight - esp Rashford to Barca as a plan B (plan E surely?).

Neymar to Barca/Coutinho away from Barca - the obvious swap/cash
    Buffon to Barca/Fener
    Nicolas Pepe to Man Utd (maybe Liverpool)
    Bruno Fernandes to Man Utd (maybe Spurs)

There's some stuff on the twitter machine overnight - esp Rashford to Barca as a plan B (plan E surely?).

Neymar to Barca/Coutinho away from Barca - the obvious swap/cash
    Buffon to Barca/Fener
    Nicolas Pepe to Man Utd (maybe Liverpool)
    Bruno Fernandes to Man Utd (maybe Spurs)

Rashford to Barca make me laugh no club is paying 100 million for Rashford lets be serious ,

• Advertisement

Nice pay hike for Daniel James according to the paper's this morning , 15 times the money he was on at Swansea

"Daniel James set for huge pay hike when he completes £17m move to Man United... with his wages to soar from £4,000 to £67,000-a-week"

another player gone to Man Utd for the money

MD1990 wrote: »
    another player gone to Man Utd for the money

Ah to be fair he'd have probably joined for the same wages he was on at Swansea,

He could turn out to be the next Bale or not but either way the lad should be finically set for life now so fair play to him , Think his dad died recently so that's a nice boost for the whole family,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nice pay hike for Daniel James according to the paper's this morning , 15 times the money he was on at Swansea

"Daniel James set for huge pay hike when he completes £17m move to Man United... with his wages to soar from £4,000 to £67,000-a-week"

According to the Daily Fail. The other red tops are all quoting them. None of the broadsheets are running with it. Therefore I call BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He’ll make ~£9m in base salary so over five years. Plus he’ll have additional money coming in on top of that so. Should be set for life!

If you ain't earning 60k p/w playing in the premier league you need a new agent tbh.

Better put a bit of actual news here

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1136916022840176641?s=19

Is it me or are there an infeasibly large number of bluffers playing the game now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pretty standard wage I would have thought. Doubt many clubs in the PL would be offering him less

Is it me or are there an infeasibly large number of bluffers playing the game now?

So much money in football now with fees, wages, agents & a lot behind the scenes that it all trickles down.

• AdamD wrote: »
    Pretty standard wage I would have thought. Doubt many clubs in the PL would be offering him less
    Correct

Joe Gomez is 22 as one example
    He earns 75,000

Fairly standard for an English professional

• Advertisement

Correct

He earns 75,000

Gomez was only earning around 25/30k a week up until December when he signed his new contract.

He was given a pay raise after a excellent run in the team where he established himself as VVD partner.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    Gomez was only earning around 25/30k a week up until December when he signed his new contract.

He was given a pay raise after a excellent run in the team where he established himself as VVD partner.

What's that got to do with my point in response to AdamdD?

What's that got to do with my point in response to AdamdD?

Well the difference is Gomez was earning well below what James is been given now. He earned his salary with excellent performances.

Very few clubs would offer James the money United have.

A better comparison would have been Harry Wilson. Similar experience and he's reported to be getting paid less than £15k a week and he only signed a new contract before going on loan to Derby.

Brooks at Bournemouth is on £20k, Guendozi is on £40k, AWB is on £20k, TAA is on £50k. Wouldn't imagine Odi is on more than £20k?

For Adam to say every PL club would have offered him similar is ludicrous.

Well the difference is Gomez was earning well below what James is been given now. He earned his salary with excellent performances.

Very few clubs would offer James the money United have.

A better comparison would have been Harry Wilson. Similar experience and he's reported to be getting paid less than £15k a week and he only signed a new contract before going on loan to Derby.

Brooks at Bournemouth is on £20k, Guendozi is on £40k, AWB is on £20k, TAA is on £50k. Wouldn't imagine Odi is on more than £20k?

For Adam to say every PL club would have offered him similar is ludicrous.

Gomez signed for Liverpool in 2015 from Charlton Athletic when he barley turned 18. His contract, the club he came from and price at the time based on his age and the year were on point.
    Again your point is irrelevant in the current market. Especially considering how James is a highly rated young player in the year 2019.
    James is 21 also. Not just turning 18.

Also contradicting yourself by mentioning Harry Wilson and trying to use the same logic and apply it to Gomez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Gomez signed for Liverpool in 2015 from Charlton Athletic when he barley turned 18. His contract, the club he came from and price at the time based on his age and the year were on point.
    Again your point is irrelevant in the current market. Especially considering how James is a highly rated young player in the year 2019.

Maddison is on 55k I think at Leicester. As a comparison, he was also bought from the Championship after a slightly better season

I think James is being a bit overpaid at 67k but 1) there is a United Tax 2) it likely has a load of add ons and bonuses built in which are being included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Correct

He earns 75,000

Gomez is an England international though and has been playing in the PL since 2015. And is on his second contract.

Not sure I get the comparison. A few years ago maybe.

• naughtb4 wrote: »
    Maddison is on 55k I think at Leicester. As a comparison, he was also bought from the Championship after a slightly better season

I think James is being a bit overpaid at 67k but 1) there is a United Tax 2) it likely has a load of add ons and bonuses built in which are being included

Fairly close if the report for James is using add ones to bump the value up and the other for Maddison is not but it's fairly standard when Utd are in the news.

This is a much better point.

Why refer to Gomez current contract then? He only got his pay rise in December and there's no way Liverpool would have him the current salary if he just signed from Charlton.

Why not compare James to similar new players in the league?

Why would James be worth more than any of those?

The original point Adam made was James would get £65k per week off most of the PL clubs. I highly doubt that to be true.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why refer to Gomez current contract then? He only got his pay rise in December and there's no way Liverpool would have him the current salary if he just signed from Charlton.

The original point Adam made was James would get £65k per week off most of the PL clubs. I highly doubt that to be true.

Gomez is a really bad comparison ,
    Has played 66 games for Liverpool and is a full England international and just signed a new contract ,

Maddison is better comparison but he had 95 league games under his belt with 20 goals and in the championship team of the season and also Norwich player of the year ,

Only time will tell on James but he certainly hit the jackpot finically

• Advertisement

I disagree.

Advertisement