Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers in Florida to be permitted to carry guns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not, you'd like to think the school has an effective security set-up to keep everyone safe.
    Please tell us what that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

At least the shooters won't need to go to the hassle of getting the guns themselves in the future, just borrow it from a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

astrofool wrote: »
    At least the shooters won't need to go to the hassle of getting the guns themselves in the future, just borrow it from a teacher.

Great logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Serious question here.

Active shooter
    Teacher responds
    Hits innocent person

Who pays?
    Does school indemnify those teachers that have been authorised to carry guns?

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Serious question here.

Active shooter
    Teacher responds
    Hits innocent person

Who pays?
    Does school indemnify those teachers that have been authorised to carry guns?

Did the teacher get the active shooter? Tell me the rest of the story

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Teachers in Florida permitted to drive tanks to school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This gun could probably be modified so that only good teachers can shoot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

batman_oh wrote: »
    Or student comes with AR15 (the favourite peacekeeper of choice for the average American) unloads machine gun knowing that teachers have guns resulting in epic bloodbath. Sounds like a good film!

Kindergarten Cop 2: Reckoning Day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Teachers in Florida permitted to call in air support and drone strikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

declan2693 wrote: »
    Did the teacher get the active shooter? Tell me the rest of the story

Fado fado.
    Sit down and I'll tell you all about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Teachers in Florida permitted to call in air support and drone strikes

Teachers in Florida permitted to take off and nuke it from orbit. It is the only way to be sure.

Teachers in Florida....

9530151.0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

they just keep doubling down.

we're right and everyone else is wrong.

- hey your kids are dying.

yes, maybe, but you see...

Guns in teachers to be permitted to carry Florida.

• Advertisement

Teachers in Florida to be given the Infinity Gauntlet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This is Florida, everyone should be armed at all times just to survive the wildlife.

Teachers in Florida to be given the Infinity Gauntlet

Thanos, Governor of Florida, commands it!

Teachers in Florida to be issued dragon bone handled, Valyrian steel catspaw daggers

Teachers in Florida to be issued dragon bone handled, Valyrian steel catspaw daggers

In case of Night King attacks, smart. Between that and the AR-15, teachers got it covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Teachers in Florida....

9530151.0.jpg
    That's clearly a prototype for an Irish ATM... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

biko wrote: »
    If your own children attended a school, would you rather have the teachers armed or not?

I had teachers that used loose control and throw chalk and dusters at students. So, I wouldn't give them guns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Several comments I have to make here.

1) Florida is not the first state to do this. A few have permitted staff (and in at least Utah, students) to be armed for years. So far, there has not been an issue of a stressed teacher (or permitted armed student) losing it. See this ten minute video from NBC last year covering a training course for teachers, with interviews of those teachers. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/i-want-be-able-protect-them-after-parkland-some-teachers-n882261

2) The same staff are already armed, off school grounds. I don’t believe there is any particular magic which happens when a person with a carry permit walks from the park where he may be lawfully armed and across the street onto school property.

3) Nobody is (to my knowledge) advocating that teachers who are not so inclined should be armed against their will, or that other security measures should be reduced.

4) Saying that teachers cannot handle the stress of combat is a broad generalization. A significant number of public school teachers in the US are combat veterans, the DoD and Dept of Education has a program named “Troops to Teachers” which provides job opportunities in public education to servicemen leaving the military. My former platoon sergeant from Iraq is a public school teacher in the Los Angeles school district. I have absolutely no concerns about his actions and capabilities in a firefight. I have seen him in action.

5) The possibility of a case of mistaken identity is a real one. That is a choice which the armed teacher gets to make for himself. It makes little difference to him if he is killed by a cop who mistakes him or if he is killed because he is cowering helplessly in lockdown and the shooter just happened to get into his room.

6) The bottom line is that there is no reason to believe that things can get any worse. There is already an armed individual actively and intentionally attempting to kill everyone he can find, and past evidence indicates that they are likely to find dozens. If the armed teacher responding goes wrong, the worst that happens is an innocent person dies. If there is no armed teacher, what’s the worst that happens? If there is one, what’s the best that happens?

7) What has happened in situations in the past where an active shooter is met by armed retaliation before responding police show up? What has happened in cases that they have not? Go back as far as 1966. How many people did Whitman kill before staff and students started shooting back? How many did he kill between then, and when the police showed up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

biko wrote: »
    If your own children attended a school, would you rather have the teachers armed or not?
    Would you rather have the teachers carry condoms or not ?

Would you rather have the teachers carry condoms or not ?

Probably legal if they attach them to helium balloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

It's really admitting defeat isn't it.

There's nothing we can do in the government and the police aren't adequate so arm yourselves lads and take your chances.

They're going backwards over there.

It's really admitting defeat isn't it.

There's nothing we can do in the government and the police aren't adequate so arm yourselves lads and take your chances.

They're going backwards over there.

Back to the Wild West days. Seems to be what Trump wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It'd keep a few parents quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's what they do. They carry dragon bone handled, Valyrian steel catspaw daggers and they know things.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Back to the Wild West days. Seems to be what Trump wants.

Ah yes and Obama did a too prevent anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This isn't really a presidential issue. Schootings have been going on since Columbine twenty years ago and there have been they;ve had four presiedents in that time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This isn't really a presidential issue. Schootings have been going on since Columbine twenty years ago and there have been they;ve had four presiedents in that time.

Exactly, my point was how can you relate this to Trump ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Too many gun incidents, therefore we need more guns to stop it.

I for one am glad I don't live in that country of nutters.

Exactly, my point was how can you relate this to Trump ffs

How did you relate it to Obama?

I didn't say school shootings are Trump's fault but he will bring the kip back to medieval times if he's given the chance.

How did you relate it to Obama?

I didn't say school shootings are Trump's fault but he will bring the kip back to medieval times if he's given the chance.

And how will he do that exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

6) The bottom line is that there is no reason to believe that things can get any worse. There is already an armed individual actively and intentionally attempting to kill everyone he can find, and past evidence indicates that they are likely to find dozens. If the armed teacher responding goes wrong, the worst that happens is an innocent person dies. If there is no armed teacher, what’s the worst that happens? If there is one, what’s the best that happens?

Ah yes the glorious choice of being killed by friendly fire versus enemy fire.
    No wonder the US readily adopted that phrase. :rolleyes:

As mickoneill says this is totally an admission of defeat that the school authorities and local police cannot protect the kids or indeed the teachers.

And when this doesn't work will it be suggested that the kids can carry in school ?

I am not allowed discuss …

And how will he do that exactly?

Through his policies and actions all while lying through his teeth. Like any dictator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Too many gun incidents, therefore we need more guns to stop it.

It's in their constitution, the right to arms.
    So only a referendum can revoke it I imagine and the gun lobbyists are very powerful over there.

Only choice is to level the playing field.

144 hours of training is over 19 days of training for a teacher to be qualified and approved to carry a gun.
    I had half of day of NRA training and I was ready for the concealed carry application.

So they only have the option to carry guns, it's nowhere near mandatory.
    Sounds reasonable to me given the situation and limited options available.

Maybe a bullet proof school uniform too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The students should be armed too, in case a teacher goes rogue.

It's funny, but this post in a NRA subreddit could be considered serious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

rgodard80a wrote: »
    It's in their constitution, the right to arms.
    So only a referendum can revoke it I imagine and the gun lobbyists are very powerful over there.

Only choice is to level the playing field.

144 hours of training is over 19 days of training for a teacher to be qualified and approved to carry a gun.
    I had half of day of NRA training and I was ready for the concealed carry application.

So they only have the option to carry guns, it's nowhere near mandatory.
    Sounds reasonable to me given the situation and limited options available.

Maybe a bullet proof school uniform too.

It would be fine if they were restricted to flintlock muskets, the weapon they had in mind at the time.
    They're still living in a wild west gun fantasy, an almost sexual fanatical attachment to guns hard to find anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My career guidance counselor asked what I want to be after high school in America.

Apparently alive wasnt the answer he was looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It would be fine if they were restricted to flintlock muskets, the weapon they had in mind at the time.
    They're still living in a wild west gun fantasy, an almost sexual fanatical attachment to guns hard to find anywhere else.

Not to mention all the gun nuts forget the phrase regulated militia.

If you look up the history of it, for most of the time the right to bear arms was never interpreted as the right of an individual to have the kind of weapons we see today. It was interpreted as the right for an organised militia to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair obama tried to change some of the laws. Admittedly the changes he tried to bring in were tiny and he still failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

One of the many flaws of arming teachers is they are teachers, the majority have no military training and most won't have shot at anything bigger than a tin can.

An armed teacher is more likely to hide under a table than rushing out into a corridor to confront a deranged gunman/gunmen.

The way they do it is not all teachers are armed.
    And they don't advertise which ones are to provide those ones becoming a target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

How shouldn't it?

Fairly simple logic here:

Student or someone comes into school armed with a gun or weapon with the intent of murdering people and the teacher shoots them before they cause any harm.

But it's the gun culture adding to the increased homicide rate. Making guns more acceptable rather than questioning the role of gun culture in mass shootings isn't the way to go.

• Advertisement

One of the many flaws of arming teachers is they are teachers, the majority have no military training and most won't have shot at anything bigger than a tin can.

An armed teacher is more likely to hide under a table than rushing out into a corridor to confront a deranged gunman/gunmen.

The way they do it is not all teachers are armed.
    And they don't advertise which ones are to provide those ones becoming a target.

I also think that teachers don't go in to the profession to murder a student.

EDIT: Murder may be a harsh work, shoot, I don't think they go in to the profession to shoot a student.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

FFS.

RIP to the inevitable black kid shot taking his calculator out of his backpack so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Good, well-thought-out post there but I'm not so sure about things not getting worse. For example, how likely is it that a teacher shoots a student because they mistakenly thought that the student had a gun or because something else spooked them?

While school shootings are something of a pastime over there, they are rare events. Accidental shootings aren't too common either but numerous enough, all the same.

I would wonder if the lives saved would offset the additional numbers of people accidentally killed by teachers, either due to mistaken identity or carelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

For example, how likely is it that a teacher shoots a student because they mistakenly thought that the student had a gun or because something else spooked them?

Seems to happen a bit with their cops. Taking this from the top of my heady but wasn't there an incident where a mentally disabled man carrying a toy car was shot or shot at?

The phrase "trigger-happy" seems apt at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

wow, the responses from a non-gun culture country are comical

curious as to how many different types of weapons the keyboard commandos have fired in their life?

subbin to this thread :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement