Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer not paying on time

Options
  • 02-05-2019 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

So my employer has communicated that the weekly payroll has not gone in this week. This is the third time in the last 4 months. They are a very big employer so this should not be an issue. First time was blamed on an issue with American banks, second time the issue was blamed across all Irish banks & now they have just blamed it on a European Bank holiday last Monday.......??????????

Have never had this problem with any other company over the last 20 years working. Two of the occasions this has happened, there was an expenditure freeze, coming to end of quarter or end of year......

Very poor form from a large company. Only seems to happen to the weekly payroll as well & not the salaried workers, otherwise there might be more fuss around it..

With May Bank Holiday coming up, who knows where next weeks wages will go in.. Very poor form from an employer, 3 strikes for me now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

My wages only came into my account in the last 2 hours. There is a thread here already about people not being paid on time today and it seems to be caused by the european bank holiday yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

UsBus wrote: »
    So my employer has communicated that the weekly payroll has not gone in this week. This is the third time in the last 4 months. They are a very big employer so this should not be an issue. First time was blamed on an issue with American banks, second time the issue was blamed across all Irish banks & now they have just blamed it on a European Bank holiday last Monday.......??????????

Have never had this problem with any other company over the last 20 years working. Two of the occasions this has happened, there was an expenditure freeze, coming to end of quarter or end of year......

Very poor form from a large company. Only seems to happen to the weekly payroll as well & not the salaried workers, otherwise there might be more fuss around it..

With May Bank Holiday coming up, who knows where next weeks wages will go in.. Very poor form from an employer, 3 strikes for me now...

I think that may day holiday is a European thing. All the electrians in work are saying that their wages are a day late this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

So your pay is a day or two late?

Sorry if what I'm about to say sounds ****ty, but if I'm understanding correctly, the real issue here isn't the pay being a day or two late, but rather your financial situation is so precarious at the moment, that any delay is causing you stress.

Maybe try to fix this so you always have a buffer of a few months pay?

An easy way to get some savings together is stop drinking alcohol and start cooking at home for a few months. You'd be amazed how much you can save just by doing these two things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

My business is having problems with credit card machines and payroll yesterday and today, just onto AIB and they are blaming Sage for problems with machines and electronic banking and say it is effecting all banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

There are problems with banks today - my wages haven't gone through either yet - tip for the future though, you should try budget so that you don't get stuck if wages are a day late!

EDIT: Wages just went through :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Here's a breakdown of cut off times for business banking transactions with Bank of Ireland, I think a lot of other banks would follow similar cut offs for bank holidays etc... Yesterday was a non processing day for a lot of banks, so I would say your employer is telling the truth. However, if they were responsible they'd prepare for this in advance i.e. inform staff that they will be paid early or late to avoid the non processing day. Looks more like the the problem is lack of communication than anything else.

https://businessbanking.bankofireland.com/payments-and-cards/online-banking/business-online/payment-cut-off-times/#panel7

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

from the perspective of somebody who processes payroll and other payments I can tell you that this is not your employers fault.

Ever since SEPA came in, there are silly regulations that mean nothing in Ireland except they now have an impact.

May Day (yesterday and not last Monday) is a European holiday and all payments across Europe are effected even though our bank holiday is not till next Monday. there is nothing we can do about it.

if you have a problem, complain to your politician that the stupid EU rules are causing you concern.

it Is nothing to do with SAGE or any bank. It is all because of SEPA regulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

The European Bank Holiday was yesterday, not Monday. It's not an excuse and is perfectly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The SEPA 'holidays' are ridiculous. It's an automated system!

SEPA Holidays:

New Year’s Day* 1 January, 2019
    Good Friday* 19 April, 2019
    Easter Monday* 22 April, 2019
    Labour Day* 1 May, 2019
    Anniversary of Robert Schuman’s Declaration 9 May, 2019
    Ascension Day 30 May, 2019
    Whit Monday 10 June, 2019
    Corpus Christi 20 June, 2019
    Day of German Unity 3 October, 2019
    All Saints’ Day 1 November, 2019
    Christmas Eve 24 December, 2019
    Christmas Day* 25 December, 2019
    Christmas Holiday* 26 December, 2019
    New Year’s Eve 31 December, 2019

Irish Holidays:

1 Jan Tuesday New Year's Day National holiday
    17 Mar Sunday St. Patrick's Day National holiday
    22 Apr Monday Easter Monday National holiday
    6 May Monday May Day National holiday (moves to 1st Monday in May)
    3 Jun Monday June Bank Holiday National holiday
    5 Aug Monday August Bank Holiday National holiday
    28 Oct Monday October Bank Holiday National holiday
    25 Dec Wednesday Christmas Day National holiday
    26 Dec Thursday St. Stephen's Day National holiday

There are a few clashes where SEPA's off when we're not and when we're off but SEPA's up e.g. Patrick's Day.

Also it seems to be a staunchly religious bank processing system, given the number of religious holidays it takes and I've no idea why the Day of German Unity's celebrated by the banking system, when the 27 other national days aren't.

It's ludicrous though that it shuts down. Can you imagine if the Visa and Mastercard networks took days off multiple times a year, or the phone system?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

OMM 0000 wrote: »

Sorry if what I'm about to say sounds ****ty, but if I'm understanding correctly, the real issue here isn't the pay being a day or two late, but rather your financial situation is so precarious at the moment, that any delay is causing you stress.

An easy way to get some savings together is stop drinking alcohol and start cooking at home for a few months. You'd be amazed how much you can save just by doing these two things.

Wow. What was the point of this post? The guys wages aren't in, it's hardly the time to start going on at him because you assume he doesn't have buffer savings and telling him to stop drinking alcohol? If you read his post, he says nothing about being stuck for cash due to the delay, at all. He's annoyed about his wages going in late a few months in a row.

If my wages were paid late - which would likely be a breach of contract on the employers behalf - then I'd be mad too. In this case it seems like it's not his employers fault but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

Wow. What was the point of this post? The guys wages aren't in, it's hardly the time to start going on at him because you assume he doesn't have buffer savings and telling him to stop drinking alcohol? If you read his post, he says nothing about being stuck for cash due to the delay, at all. He's annoyed about his wages going in late a few months in a row.

If my wages were paid late - which would likely be a breach of contract on the employers behalf - then I'd be mad too. In this case it seems like it's not his employers fault but still.

Yes, I would say it's not the employer's fault per se, but I still stand by my point of the employer's responsibility of keeping staff informed if their usual payroll will be disrupted, even if it's beyond their control.

I would never dream of paying someone late or early and not warning them in advance if I could help it. May Day happens every year. The least this guy's employer could do is inform him in advance considering they knew there was going to be some delay.

And if they didn't know then they're too lazy to look up cut off times and non processing days. So shame on them.

You read what I wrote in the most negative way possible.

I didn't tell him to stop drinking alcohol. Maybe go back and re-read my post. You're making it sound like I'm accusing him of being an alcoholic.

My point was, if you have a buffer of money, you won't care at all if your wages are a day late. You won't even be checking on pay day to see if you got paid.

I work in a job which constantly pays my wages late. But I keep six months cash in my current account, so it's no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

sorry but whether you have millions in the bank or a penny before pay day you are entitled to be annoyed if they don't go in on time,

seems the employer has a valid excuse this week but there hasn't been an EU BH last 3 weeks AFAIK

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    sorry but whether you have millions in the bank or a penny before pay day you are entitled to be annoyed if they don't go in on time,

seems the employer has a valid excuse this week but there hasn't been an EU BH last 3 weeks AFAIK

Sure, you can be a little annoyed about it, but it should not be stressful.

The OP sounds quite stressed.

Sure, you can be a little annoyed about it, but it should not be stressful.

The OP sounds quite stressed.

No he sounds annoyed and angry. As i would be if my employer was in breach of my contract. Regardless of what amount of savings I have.

You read what I wrote in the most negative way possible.

I didn't tell him to stop drinking alcohol.

You literally said 'stop drinking alcohol'.

You literally said 'stop drinking alcohol'.

You are misquoting me in a weird attempt to "win" this conversation.

Here's what I said:

Advice on an easy way to save money.

But you want to twist it so it seems like I was implying the OP has a drink problem.

Why would do you that?

Here's what I said:

But you want to twist it so it seems like I was implying the OP has a drink problem.

Why would do you that?

I never said you made it sound like he has a drink problem. I'm saying your 'advice' was completely pointless and nothing to do with the reported issue- he didn't ask about how to save money. You seem to assume someone could only be annoyed by what is possibly a breach of contract by their employer (paying wages late) if they had zero savings. you then made a frankly ridiculous assertion - whether you like it or not, it read this way - that the OP drinks enough alcohol that it's interfering with his ability to save money.

Look, the alcohol thing is a red herring in both your original response and my replies, fair enough. But my opinion still stands, the OP is completely justified in being annoyed and angry that his wages have been late on a number of occasions. If I were to breach an element of my contract my boss would be on me like a ton of bricks, like most. And yet a breach on their side is only a problem if you don't have savings? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

No, the real issue is his wages getting paid in late a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Here's what I said:

Why would do you that?

Because you are making HUGE assumptions about the OP.

He is annoyed that his pay is not in his account. Even if the immediate cause is May bank holiday, this is a predicted holiday and the employer should have ensured that payroll was not affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Yes, it does sound ****ty and is completely irrelevant to the issue raised by the OP.

Other than that, there does seem to have been an issue with people getting paid this week, but that doesn't excuse this happening on a regular basis. It's not normal for companies to pay late, and nor should it be accepted practice.

I never said you made it sound like he has a drink problem. I'm saying your 'advice' was completely pointless and nothing to do with the reported issue- he didn't ask about how to save money. You seem to assume someone could only be annoyed by what is possibly a breach of contract by their employer (paying wages late) if they had zero savings. you then made a frankly ridiculous assertion - whether you like it or not, it read this way - that the OP drinks enough alcohol that it's interfering with his ability to save money.

Look, the alcohol thing is a red herring in both your original response and my replies, fair enough. But my opinion still stands, the OP is completely justified in being annoyed and angry that his wages have been late on a number of occasions. If I were to breach an element of my contract my boss would be on me like a ton of bricks, like most. And yet a breach on their side is only a problem if you don't have savings? :confused:

Look, you were clearly trying to imply I was saying he has a drink problem.

I'm not playing this game with you.

Is he right to be a little annoyed they paid his wages a day late?

Sure.

Is it a real problem?

No, unless you have no cash buffer and are living month to month. That is a real problem and something the OP should fix, should it be the case.

Look, you were clearly trying to imply I was saying he has a drink problem.

I'm not playing this game with you.

Is he right to be a little annoyed they paid his wages a day late?

Sure.

Is it a real problem?

No, unless you have no cash buffer and are living month to month. That is a real problem and something the OP should fix, should it be the case.

Oh forget it. You're obviously keen to show how awesome you are at saving and how cool you are for not caring when your wages come in. Well done you. :rolleyes:

Oh forget it. You're obviously keen to show how awesome you are at saving and how cool you are for not caring when your wages come in. Well done you. :rolleyes:

WTF...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Banking should involve instant transfers 24/7 this day in age. If only there was some form of digital currency thingy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

WTF...

Your suggestions came off a bit condescending tbh.

Myself and my partner have been saving hard for our mortgage deposit (purchase underway) and have quite a bit in savings... we would still be in trouble if this happened to us because like a lot of people, our savings are in a separate account. If I was in the OP's position I would be in trouble - my rent and savings standing orders come out on the first of the month, as well as my pension and car insurance direct debits. It's not because I spend all my money on drink though, so your suggestions would have no value to me or to most other people.

Btw, some advice for you is to move some of your savings into an account with a better interest rate instead of your current account ;)

Your suggestions came off a bit condescending tbh.

Myself and my partner have been saving hard for our mortgage deposit (purchase underway) and have quite a bit in savings... we would still be in trouble if this happened to us because like a lot of people, our savings are in a separate account. If I was in the OP's position I would be in trouble - my rent and savings standing orders come out on the first of the month, as well as my pension and car insurance direct debits. It's not because I spend all my money on drink though, so your suggestions would have no value to me or to most other people.

Btw, some advice for you is to move some of your savings into an account with a better interest rate instead of your current account ;)

If your wages were a day late you'd be in trouble?

Yet you have lots of savings?

That doesn't make sense.

You need to keep a buffer in your current account, as well as a separate savings account.

Regarding your final point, I don't care about the interest on my current account.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mod please stop the squabbling or there will 'be cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

As a side, is there anything employers can do to deal with this? We have standing orders setup to pay our staff so there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The same thing happened last year with May Day affecting payments, it's not new, so you'd think those in charge of payrolls would have planned ahead and run it early or let people know it was going to be a day late in good time to prepare for the late payment.

Advertisement