Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer not paying on time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Surely the simple solution is for employers to process wages a day earlier when there's a holiday.
    The responsibility is on them to pay employees as per contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    So your pay is a day or two late?

Sorry if what I'm about to say sounds ****ty, but if I'm understanding correctly, the real issue here isn't the pay being a day or two late, but rather your financial situation is so precarious at the moment, that any delay is causing you stress.

Maybe try to fix this so you always have a buffer of a few months pay?

An easy way to get some savings together is stop drinking alcohol and start cooking at home for a few months. You'd be amazed how much you can save just by doing these two things.
    You read what I wrote in the most negative way possible.

I didn't tell him to stop drinking alcohol. Maybe go back and re-read my post. You're making it sound like I'm accusing him of being an alcoholic.

My point was, if you have a buffer of money, you won't care at all if your wages are a day late. You won't even be checking on pay day to see if you got paid.

I work in a job which constantly pays my wages late. But I keep six months cash in my current account, so it's no bother at all.
    Sure, you can be a little annoyed about it, but it should not be stressful.

The OP sounds quite stressed.
    You are misquoting me in a weird attempt to "win" this conversation.

Here's what I said:

Advice on an easy way to save money.

But you want to twist it so it seems like I was implying the OP has a drink problem.

Why would do you that?
    Look, you were clearly trying to imply I was saying he has a drink problem.

I'm not playing this game with you.

Is he right to be a little annoyed they paid his wages a day late?

Sure.

Is it a real problem?

No, unless you have no cash buffer and are living month to month. That is a real problem and something the OP should fix, should it be the case.
    If your wages were a day late you'd be in trouble?

Yet you have lots of savings?

That doesn't make sense.

You need to keep a buffer in your current account, as well as a separate savings account.

Regarding your final point, I don't care about the interest on my current account.

I literally have no words to sum up the absolute garbage you've managed to type out in all of your replies..!!!

Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups they say, but you have taken the biscuit.
    First of all, I don't know how you made the assumption that I'm stressed, that I live a financially precarious life, that I have no savings...

Where do I start..........Not that I feel the need to divulge my life story to such a ridiculous array of assumptions... but

- I'm not stressed
    - I am not living precariously
    - The REAL issue as you suggest is nothing in my personal life. It is actually as I stated. My employer has missed payroll 3 times in 4 months.
    By the way, i'd be majorly stressed if I only had 6 months cash in my account..
    I've spread 150K across 4 accounts, a few grand in 2 crypto accounts to play around with, decent stock investment with my broker and an investment property ticking over...

I could be doing better but i'll survive hopefully.........thanks for the cooking tip though....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

You read what I wrote in the most negative way possible.

I didn't tell him to stop drinking alcohol. Maybe go back and re-read my post. You're making it sound like I'm accusing him of being an alcoholic.

My point was, if you have a buffer of money, you won't care at all if your wages are a day late. You won't even be checking on pay day to see if you got paid.

I work in a job which constantly pays my wages late. But I keep six months cash in my current account, so it's no bother at all.

Some people are literally living pin-to-collar and overdrafts are usually unavailable to people in those kinds of situations which makes matters worse. Banks tend to throw money at you when you already have it and ration credit very tightly when you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

UsBus wrote: »
    So my employer has communicated that the weekly payroll has not gone in this week. This is the third time in the last 4 months.

This is ongoing in a few companies this year, I with BOI (sadly) and never have issues but staff who work with me with AIB. PTSB and UB have issues. We get paid from the same account yet mine and others with BOI is always in the bank at 2am on Thursday morning.

I understand your frustrations, I had to lend one of my staff €250 today as he was off and going to Punchestown. This is his 4th time this year it has happened to him :(

In our contracts it states we paid every second Friday but its usually Thursdays, our accounts dept always point to that when this happens from their POV thats the best option but if anyone is stuck we always do something for them.

It may not be your employer if its happening to others with certain banks.

EDIT the may bank holiday for European banks was yesterday so they are technically correct with that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

martyoo wrote: »
    As a side, is there anything employers can do to deal with this? We have standing orders setup to pay our staff so there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it.

Who on earth is you payroll paid by standing order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

OP, how late has the payment been on these occasions?

I've had a few times when it has been a day late due to various reasons. Though on the flip side there was also once when we all got paid twice by mistake!

Advertisement