Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspect someone is tapping my meter, still running when power is off at the breaker

Options
  • 02-05-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I was referred here for the technical aspect (cant link yet because I'm a new member but it's in the financial advice for consumers forum).

So I received a startling electricity bill of 1200 euros for like 7000+ kwh over the period 15 january - 15 april. I called SSE airtricity and they recommended I switch the power off at the breaker for about 45 minutes to see if the meter is still running.

To my surprise the meter was still running even after 45 minutes. I could understand it going on for like 5 minutes but not for this extended period.

SSE airtricity won't send an engineer because I was moving out and my account is closed. I didnt get a response from ESB the electricity provider. I was wondering if there's anything else I could do to make sure there is nothing wrong with the meter because this bill is outrageous. I would have expected around 400 euros not 1200 and this usage is the same as for 4 normal family homes.

Could I safely check like with an amp meter or is it illegal to do anything like that with the meter? SSE quoted like 200 euros + for an engineer (before they said they cant send one due to the status of my account). Would it be smart to get an engineer out myself?

I really don't know what to do thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am work now so can’t respond properly. There are a few checks that can be legally carried out without having to interfere with the meter or disconnect anything. An electrician would be able to get to the bottom of this quite quickly. Costs should be quickly recovered if something untoward is happening. Where are you based ? Reply to this by PM if you prefer.

I reported a case of this to ESBN before and they responded promptly and did not charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Dublin 13 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Meters are property of ESB Networks not your supplier. Ring ESB and tell them you suspect you have a faulty meter and they will send someone out free of charge. Dont ring your supplier as they will hit you with a charge for forwarding on the report to ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Update: ESB networks will check free of charge in a couple weeks time.

Advertisement