Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Different roles in building a house advice

• 02-05-2019 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Currently at the very early stages of building a house. Architect is curently doing design and drawings and submitting planning application. Their role will end once planning is (hopefully) approved. After planning is approved I'm not entirely sure what to do next. Do I go out to tender myself to building contractors? I don't want to manage the build myself but once I appoint a builder, should I be looking at an engineer or project manager to manage them? Or a quantity surveyor? Or another architect? Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Whos going to do the tender pack for you as Planning Dwgs are not good enough tbh.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

rayjdav wrote:
    Whos going to do the tender pack for you as Planning Dwgs are not good enough tbh.?

hadn't really thought of that to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Did you ask your architect for a price to tender and oversee the works?

You will need someone to put together a tender pack (Tender Drawings, Bill of Quants., H&S Prelim Plan etc) before you go to contractors... You want all the contractors to price the same thing, if they are just looking a planning drawers you are setting yourself up for disaster later down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Doop wrote:
    Did you ask your architect for a price to tender and oversee the works?

Doop wrote:
    You will need someone to put together a tender pack (Tender Drawings, Bill of Quants., H&S Prelim Plan etc) before you go to contractors... You want all the contractors to price the same thing, if they are just looking a planning drawers you are setting yourself up for disaster later down the road.

no architect is just going as far as planning consent. okay thanks for advice I will need to budget for the tender pack also so.

so after choosing a builder then, who would generally manage them? whoever put the tender pack together? engineering firm for example? or another completely separate project manager.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

froog wrote: »
    no architect is just going as far as planning consent. okay thanks for advice I will need to budget for the tender pack also so.

so after choosing a builder then, who would generally manage them? whoever put the tender pack together? engineering firm for example? or another completely separate project manager.

You need to budget for another professional to come in and prepare tender drawings, tender spec, Part L Specs, BER, Air Tightness, Commencement etc etc etc

Inspection
    Structure
    Certification
    BCMS

You don't choose a builder until after you've choosen your inspecting professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

In the middle of a build here.

We got builder quotes from the planning drawings and chose one.

The architect did the builder drawings and contract and will certify 6 stages of the build from start to finish (we are on stage 3 at the moment). The builder gets paid after each stage is certified.

No project manager needed, the builder does that.

Working well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭dubrov

Here is my take on what you need after planning:

Architect/Architectural Technician to produce construction drawings and certify the build matches the design and building regs.
    Engineer to contribute to the structural elements of the construction drawings and certify the build matches the structural design and structural building regs.
    Energy Consultant to contribute to the structural elements of the construction drawings and certify the build matches the energy design and Part L building regs.
    QS to estimate the price of the proposed design and run the tender of builders. They can also state that the work completed is valued to a certain amount before you pay.

Some architects can do some/all of the above roles bur no one is an expert at everything so take that into account.

Just to add, the builder is the project manager. You can project manage yourself but it would be almost a full time job and the risk of mistakes is much higher.

Advertisement