Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value GPU?

Options
  • 02-05-2019 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭

Well lads.

Friend is looking to upgrade at the minute, he's looking at 1660, 1660ti or a 1070.

They are priced at about €230, €290, and €275 respectively.

It's my understanding that the 1660 overclocks very well and will get very close to 1660ti stock levels with very little effort.

Is it worth getting a 1660ti over the 1660 at these prices? And is the 1070 worth considering seeing as it's slightly cheaper than the 1660ti at the moment?

I'm leaning towards advising the 1660 and doing a modest OC via msi afterburner as it seems the best bang for the buck?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If he's happy to overclock, that makes sense. With a good overclock, there would still be around 10% difference between the two.

Keep in mind that if you're willing to OC the 1660, you could also OC the 1660Ti and bring the gap back to the original 20% or so.

Any are a good choice really. The GTX1070 has more Vram going for it too, so equally viable despite being older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I get what you're saying about the ti if he's willing to OC. The non ti just seems like a fantastic deal at the current price, given they apparently have very good OC returns (especially on the brand).

Does the 1660ti outperform the 1070?

I'd probably be doing the oc myself via afterburner.
    I'm not very well versed with oc'ing recent nvidia cards as I've been using AMD myself for the last few years, but afterburner if pretty much fool proof if you're patient with small stepping until you find your best stable speeds for both core and vram, I'd assume this is universally true for both red and green cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Performance-wise, GTX 1070 > 1660 Ti >= 1660
    So the 1660 Ti should not be considered at that price.

The 1070 would be my pick unless warranty & power usage are a concern (i.e. using a low-wattage/junk PSU).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Performance-wise, GTX 1070 > 1660 Ti >= 1660
    So the 1660 Ti should not be considered at that price.

The 1070 would be my pick unless warranty & power usage are a concern (i.e. using a low-wattage/junk PSU).

They are all brand new so warranty isn't an issue. The power difference between them is minimal too, +/-20w.

The difference between the 1660 and the 1070 is 45 euros from the same vendor, but with a modest OC you can get the 1660 to perform not far off the stock 1070, where as the 1070 doesn't overclock brilliantly itself (from my understanding).

So assuming I discount the ti due to being 23% more than the 1660, and 1660 being able to almost match ti (stock) performance with a modest oc, is the 1070 worth the 45 euros more in terms of value for money?

Right now I'm down to flipping a coin to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

More € = more performance, simple as.

Like asking whether you'd prefer to buy a game now & play, or play your current games but better.

• Advertisement

Went with the 1070. There was an Amazon warehouse deals that worked out nearly the same price as a 1660, seemed like a no brainer at that price (€235ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Went with the 1070. There was an Amazon warehouse deals that worked out nearly the same price as a 1660, seemed like a no brainer at that price (€235ish).

Is that deal still available? I can't find it.

Dubba wrote: »
    Is that deal still available? I can't find it.

Was from the warehouse (used), so probably an opened and returned item. It's available to prime members for £235 (€277ish) though, so not a lot more.
    Zotac 1070 mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Thanks Marcos I just picked one up there. It'll be a big upgrade compared to my GTX 1050

Advertisement